BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-06-06 11:51 AM

User image

Subject: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Continuation of last season's group. Everyone is welcome provided you adhere to the guidelines below.

THERE ARE ONLY A FEW STRICT GROUND RULES. THIS THREAD WILL BE SELF MODERATED BY IT’S MEMBERS.
The discussion in this group is limited to SBR training and supporting each other. We do not talk about politics, current events, rant about the pool, tattoos, talk about gun control, furry animals, etc. Many of us want to talk about non SBR topics, but there are other threads and forums to do that in. And many of us do participate in those off topic discussions…there is nothing wrong with that…just that we should separate those discussions from this group.
If you want to post in this group, you need to provide your first name (if not implied by your handle), either in a bio, your signature, or simply at the end of your post. This is not an anonymous thread, and posting your name goes a long way to keeping everyone respectful.
Post with an open mind. Too many times in Tri Talk and other forums, people post with the intention of winning a debate or proving someone wrong. *Raises Hand*, I am guilty of it from time to time. However, this group is about supporting fellow athletes, not winning an argument, debate, or discussion. There are going to be times you will be offered advice you do not agree with or maybe simply advice you don’t want to hear. Keep an open mind and agree to disagree.

DISCLAIMER – This discussion group is different from other mentor groups in that it’s basically one ongoing discussion. It is very likely that you will get out of it what you put into it. If you “lurk” and don’t participate in the discussions, that’s fine and lots of people learn that way. But if you are looking for more personalized attention, you might want to try some of the other mentor groups available (but you are still welcome to post here anytime). There are some very good mentor group leaders who almost act as coaches towards their mentees. They can do that because their groups are confined to a limited size. I cannot guarantee that you will have that experience here because this discussion is open to anyone.

With that being said, welcome to SBR Utopia.

2013-06-07 9:54 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Bump to get back on the first page!
2013-06-07 11:01 PM

Master
Northern IL
2013-06-07 11:40 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

yo dawgs
2013-06-08 2:19 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Just realized I forgot to sign up for Sunday's TT. I was ready to sign up online a few weeks ago, but I didn't have my CC on me at the time and put it off.

I emailed the RD, and 99% sure I'll be able to sign up on race day, but I'll have one of the last starting times which means I could get held up by vehicle traffic that is waiting to pass other riders up ahead. The road we are using doesn't have that much of a shoulder and is only one lane each way with some no passing zones. So we'll see what happens.

Sigh...I'm an idiot....
2013-06-08 5:24 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

That sucks Jason, I hope it still works out ok for you.

My plans to ride early to beat the rain have been foiled by.... the rain.  It's already coming down pretty good at my planned departure time and is supposed to get windy soon so it looks like it is going to be 3 hours on the trainer (*puke*).

2013-06-08 6:49 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-08 6:59 AM
in reply to: TSimone

Elite
PEI, Canada
Hi Tom!!  Great to see you back.  
2013-06-08 7:28 AM

2013-06-08 7:36 AM

Payson, AZ
That sucks Jason.  Hopefully you at least get to sign up race day and that you don't get held up during the ride
2013-06-08 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4768732

Elite
Ontario
Sitting on my wife's tablet. I'm back for the next step session.

Glad to see you back Tom, can't help with shoes I'm afraid. Arend, 3 hours on the trainer is like torture. I don't have either a position or saddle that makes that amount of time doable.

2013-06-08 8:37 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TSimone Thanks A. Glad to be back. I told ya I would be, just didn't think it would be 6+ months later. Curious if anyone has a resource on shoes and how things like heel drop or other variables may correlate to injury or pain. I've got little experience with shoes (only used Brooks and Zoot) and want to read up. The long and the short of it is I have had chronic calf issues and a recent Achilles issue. I switched from Zoot to Brooks for my run yesterday and didn't experience the pain in my calf, but it may just have been a one off. And pace doesn't matter. It can flare up on the easiest of runs. Anyway, I do plan to go to my local running store but I also like to be in the know...

It can be kind of a tricky area with a few things in the shoes and the complexity of the body. Various shoe manufacturers have begun to list the amount of heel drop. Running Warehouse lists this (and other things) for all the shoes they carry. For me, generally less drop has put more stress onto the calf & achilles, but I was able to adapt with backing off on the amount of running and building back up, as is typical for most. The time for this can be a few days to a few months. I was more like a few months before being really well adapted, but I could see throughout this time that things were getting better.

Various shoes can have differing amounts of support built in as well. Such as "neutral" or "stability". I don't know if there are really well defined standards for these and other terms used. I do better with less support or stability, as that tends to get in the way of letting my legs figure out what they want to do naturally. For me, this hasn't really had anything to do with calf & achilles. More noticeable with knees though. ST ran a couple articles on this a few months ago. They might help towards understanding this better.

With the "pace doesn't matter", are you sure on that? I've been hurt just as much (if not a little more often) on easier runs than on harder ones. The reason being is that I had built up more training fatigue than I had realized and the easy running was a little harder than I thought. When stepping back to look at a bigger picture, all of the easy run injuries had some harder running just before it. Not necessarily just one run, but often several. And even more often were several moderate to moderately hard runs strung rather close together, creating more stress than I had realized.

Edited by brigby1 2013-06-08 8:38 AM
2013-06-08 8:46 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Hey Tom - welcome back- knew you were dealing with injuries but didn't know it took you down for the off season. Good to have you back. I don't have any good resources for you re: shoe selection, but I have seemed to manage to overcome my own long-time Achilles issues (tendinosis in my case) and I think shoe selection was part of my solution. But that is only n+1 so take it for what it is worth. I also made a lot of other changes: more Barry P-ish type running, isolateral strength training, yoga, Pilates, and as much soft-surface/rugged trail running as possible as well. And while I have not really done anything to change my "gait" or "running style" directly or intentionally, I have also done a fair amount of variable cadence work which naturally has an affect on those things. I think all of those things have contributed to getting me more resilient than I have been historically, but if I had to isolate a single contributor to my issues it was a lack of strength and flexibility of my hip flexors. Spending the last two years making fixing that a priority (via all of the above things) has gone a long way toward helping me know how to manage my issues if not out-right fixing them.

Looking forward to another go-round with the group - if we have interest in new members we should get Ron to put us on the open group quick list.

2013-06-08 9:06 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TSimone Thanks A. Glad to be back. I told ya I would be, just didn't think it would be 6+ months later. Curious if anyone has a resource on shoes and how things like heel drop or other variables may correlate to injury or pain. I've got little experience with shoes (only used Brooks and Zoot) and want to read up. The long and the short of it is I have had chronic calf issues and a recent Achilles issue. I switched from Zoot to Brooks for my run yesterday and didn't experience the pain in my calf, but it may just have been a one off. And pace doesn't matter. It can flare up on the easiest of runs. Anyway, I do plan to go to my local running store but I also like to be in the know...

It can be kind of a tricky area with a few things in the shoes and the complexity of the body. Various shoe manufacturers have begun to list the amount of heel drop. Running Warehouse lists this (and other things) for all the shoes they carry. For me, generally less drop has put more stress onto the calf & achilles, but I was able to adapt with backing off on the amount of running and building back up, as is typical for most. The time for this can be a few days to a few months. I was more like a few months before being really well adapted, but I could see throughout this time that things were getting better.

Various shoes can have differing amounts of support built in as well. Such as "neutral" or "stability". I don't know if there are really well defined standards for these and other terms used. I do better with less support or stability, as that tends to get in the way of letting my legs figure out what they want to do naturally. For me, this hasn't really had anything to do with calf & achilles. More noticeable with knees though. ST ran a couple articles on this a few months ago. They might help towards understanding this better.

With the "pace doesn't matter", are you sure on that? I've been hurt just as much (if not a little more often) on easier runs than on harder ones. The reason being is that I had built up more training fatigue than I had realized and the easy running was a little harder than I thought. When stepping back to look at a bigger picture, all of the easy run injuries had some harder running just before it. Not necessarily just one run, but often several. And even more often were several moderate to moderately hard runs strung rather close together, creating more stress than I had realized.

Ben, this is my experience as well. I have found that I too do much better with a neutral shoe that allows my foot/ankles to do what ever they want to do, and I have a very, very goofy left foot strike. In my own running I have found that varying the type of shoe/drop/cushioning really makes a difference depending on the type of running I am doing. When on trails I use a very lightweight, minimal drop, minimal structured shoe, and the same for speed work. For LSD runs (and walking) I use a shoe that has more drop and more heel protection. For endurance and tempo runs I use a shoe that has much less drop and more mid/forefoot protection. For me I found the whole heelstrike/forefoot strike arguments to be a bit of a red herring - my natural gait seems to move through the entire range depending on the speed at which I run. For instance I find Newtons to be just about the worst shoe on the planet to do LSD runs in - they just beat the hell out of me. But for faster runs of any distance though they really shine (again, for me) it all has to do with how my foot strike changes at different paces. I like doing LSD runs and walking in Nike Frees, and my current general "all-purpose" shoe is the Brooks Pure Connect. For my soft surface running I love the innov8 x-talons - I actually hate sharing that with folks because for me the x-talons are almost like a secret weapon.

Edited by TankBoy 2013-06-08 9:07 AM

2013-06-08 9:10 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Champion
Not a whole lot tri related going on in my neck of the woods. But:

I graduated yesterday!!!! I am officially officially a doctor according to the chancellor of my university. He deemed it do.

I feel very dry today....

I suspect I will feel very dry tomorrow as well....
2013-06-08 9:12 AM
in reply to: brigby1

2013-06-08 9:15 AM
in reply to: mndymond

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mndymond Not a whole lot tri related going on in my neck of the woods. But: I graduated yesterday!!!! I am officially officially a doctor according to the chancellor of my university. He deemed it do. I feel very dry today.... I suspect I will feel very dry tomorrow as well....

Congratulations upon the event!  Laughing

You deserve to slake that thirst in whatever grand style you so choose.  A very big day, and you should be quite proud.

Residency?  What area?  Sports medicine (have to keep this at least tangentially SBR related)?

2013-06-08 9:15 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
[Whining]

On Thursday I woke up with a little tickle in my throat but didn't think anything about it and went to masters and had a really good session. Then had some all-day work travel/meetings and by they'd of the day I was crashing hard. Yesterday i was supposed to be on an airplane to chicago but instead spent the day with a severe sore throat, congestion, and a low-grade fever, so switched my flight to this morning. I was really looking forward to this trip to get several days of cool-weather, flat pace-based running in, so I hope I can shake this little bug by the end of the day. Ugh, I hate summertime colds.

[/whining]

2013-06-08 9:19 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Congratulations, Melissa - it has been a long time coming, so feel free to slake that thirst!

And on a completely different topic, it is awesome to once again get email notifications from the group!

2013-06-08 9:23 AM

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by mndymond Not a whole lot tri related going on in my neck of the woods. But: I graduated yesterday!!!! I am officially officially a doctor according to the chancellor of my university. He deemed it do. I feel very dry today.... I suspect I will feel very dry tomorrow as well....

Ha, awesome.  Congratulations on a job well done

2013-06-08 10:11 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

Welcome back Tom! No advice on shoes from me, but looks like you've got some good advice from Ben and Rusty. Either way, I'm glad to see you back at it.

Congrats Melissa! How's the lead into IM France looking? My legs are just starting to feel normal again. It was only Thursday that I didn't have to think about walking down stairs. Honu took a lot more out of me this year than I can remember compared to previous years.

Going out for a 40ish mile easy group ride. Then I've got a bunch of errands to run...ahem...including mailing Ben out his prize for correctly predicting my HIM blow up...LOL. I'm pretty sure even with optimal pacing and effort I wouldn't have managed much better than 5:20 given the conditions so he would have won anyway.

2013-06-08 10:14 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

Pro
NJ
New thread! I'm in VT for the weekend and it's crappy rainy and cold. The plan was to do some easy hiking but not sure I want to be out on the mountain in the rain. Im also starting to taper so need to find some things to entertain myself. One thing for sure is I need to keep the eating in check this week.
2013-06-08 10:39 AM

Master
, California

I'm back.

I was on vacation all May (Europe), but now I'm gearing up for the Lake Stevens 70.3 in July, and Tahoe in September.

I just started a new job closer to home so I have a little more free time and money to train now.  Di2 is tempting me

Edited by spudone 2013-06-08 10:39 AM
2013-06-08 11:14 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Congrats, that's fantastic!  

2013-06-08 11:18 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Tom, I've got nothing on the shoes for you.  I have my one kind of shoes that I train and race in and I'm sticking to the "if it ain't broke" mantra.

Rusty, I hope you can shake the cold.  I have to say, for a guy that is supposedly not working, you sure seem to work a lot.  

I still haven't convinced myself to get on the trainer but it is going to have to happen soon....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.