of 149

2013-12-23 10:54 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by rymac

I was not real comfortable doing that on the trainer...but then I remembered Ben's numbers and figured it could probably handle it.

Sounds like someone's famous last words...

Don't really want to do one 1 of those.

2013-12-23 11:02 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by rymac Was really surprised to see that although my legs sure hurt today!!
I dropped them into GC and go a 99TSS workout for 1 hour.

Marc, is there an easy way to build that?  The only way I know of is to use the workout builder wizard in GC and for something like 10x30" it's a PITA.  I don't know how to easily create the same thing 10x without just creating a new line for each one.

I drop them into a ,mrc file and load that
I build the mrc file with Excel.
I put the header and footer in a worksheet, then cut/paste/calculate for the times
The I copy into a txt file that I put a .mrc extension on
Here is an example mrc
0-10min at 60%
10-20min at 70%

• [COURSE HEADER]
    VERSION = 2
    UNITS = ENGLISH
    DESCRIPTION = TestOutGC
    FILE NAME = SampleMRC.MRC
    MINUTES PERCENTAGE
    [END COURSE HEADER]
    [COURSE DATA]
    0.00 60
    10.00 60
    10.00 70
    20.00 70
    20.00 80
    25.00 80
    25.00 70
    30.00 70
    30.00 100
    33.00 100
    33.00 60
    35.00 60
    38.00 100
    41.00 100
    41.00 60
    45.00 60
    [END COURSE DATA]

2013-12-23 12:28 PM
    in reply to: marcag

User image

Marc, do you do this for erg workouts on the CT?  If so, how gradual is the buildup?

I've always done manually, it's not a big deal but where the delta in the interval gets to be over 120 watts or so takes a about 4-5 seconds to get to the right wattage.  And for the OCD peeps like me, I usually start bumping it up at the :57 mark, and don't drop it until the interval is fully over.  I rarely have a 10-15 x :30 hi/30 low but when I do it gets to be a bit of a PITA by the end

2013-12-23 1:06 PM

User image

Pro
    Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by rymac Was really surprised to see that although my legs sure hurt today!!
    I dropped them into GC and go a 99TSS workout for 1 hour.

Marc, is there an easy way to build that?  The only way I know of is to use the workout builder wizard in GC and for something like 10x30" it's a PITA.  I don't know how to easily create the same thing 10x without just creating a new line for each one.

I use this tool to build my workout files for the computrainer; easy to stipulate multiple reps on one line with recovery level on same line as well

2013-12-23 1:22 PM
    in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Elite
    PEI, Canada

Slick, thanks Jim!

Not that I have a CT to use it with.  

2013-12-23 1:59 PM
    in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by ChrisM

Marc, do you do this for erg workouts on the CT?  If so, how gradual is the buildup?

I've always done manually, it's not a big deal but where the delta in the interval gets to be over 120 watts or so takes a about 4-5 seconds to get to the right wattage.  And for the OCD peeps like me, I usually start bumping it up at the :57 mark, and don't drop it until the interval is fully over.  I rarely have a 10-15 x :30 hi/30 low but when I do it gets to be a bit of a PITA by the end

Yes I do

You should really be using a computer to control your workouts. Just sit back and be driven.

I stay start at 0min at 166w and get me to 188w in 20min. It gradually builds up, I focus more on my music selection than the CT

Put GoldenCheetah on a PC. I drives the CT really well. Has a workout creator, or use a Spreadsheet or use the tool Jim just showed. Super simple

2013-12-23 1:59 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Slick, thanks Jim!

Not that I have a CT to use it with.  

THose files work with GoldenCheetah as wel

Chris, here is the youtube video on downloading and installing GC, and configuring a trainer to be able to use the training tab
    http://youtu.be/wZnufHZTZNQ
    You will see an option in there for the Computrainer

If you create one the erg files, you load them and execute them like this
    http://youtu.be/8wllGNwdQSY

Edited by marcag 2013-12-23 2:04 PM
    2013-12-23 2:17 PM
    in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by ChrisM

I may have misunderstood. You mean when it changes how fast does it occur ? Probably a 3 seconds but it's quite smooth
    2013-12-24 6:22 AM

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.
    2013-12-24 6:41 AM
    in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by Fred D

All this power and trainer talk makes me actually want to set up my trainer. Will be almost 2 months off the bike for me, but restart in January lol.

Want something that makes you want to work hard ? Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QJn5X-qh1g

Who thought the pros don't run the same emotions we do.
    2013-12-24 6:45 AM

Elite
    PEI, Canada

This morning, for fun, I decided I would load up my workout in GC train mode to see what it was like.  I built the erg file from the site Jim posted, imported it into GC fine.  I then paired my PT into GC and made sure it picked it up and displayed the power.  

I had everything set to go, clicked start and.......  it started reading from Tab's PT instead.  *sigh*

2013-12-24 6:54 AM
    in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran

This morning, for fun, I decided I would load up my workout in GC train mode to see what it was like.  I built the erg file from the site Jim posted, imported it into GC fine.  I then paired my PT into GC and made sure it picked it up and displayed the power.  

I had everything set to go, clicked start and.......  it started reading from Tab's PT instead.  *sigh*

You guys were riding together ?

In other words when it pairs it doesn't really remember the ID of the PT it paired with and picks up "whatever" when you start to ride ?

Edited by marcag 2013-12-24 6:54 AM
    2013-12-24 7:01 AM

Elite
    PEI, Canada

You guys were riding together ? In other words when it pairs it doesn't really remember the ID of the PT it paired with and picks up "whatever" when you start to ride ?

Yes, we like to suffer as a couple.    She won on the suffer scale this morning though...

It almost seems like it just started reading the first one it found after I clicked start.  I'll have to try it again to see if I screwed it up somehow.  I might try adding both PTs as a device in GC so that it knows about both and then maybe if I pick the specific one it will work.

2013-12-24 7:10 AM

Extreme Veteran

You guys were riding together ? In other words when it pairs it doesn't really remember the ID of the PT it paired with and picks up "whatever" when you start to ride ?

Yes, we like to suffer as a couple.    She won on the suffer scale this morning though...

It almost seems like it just started reading the first one it found after I clicked start.  I'll have to try it again to see if I screwed it up somehow.  I might try adding both PTs as a device in GC so that it knows about both and then maybe if I pick the specific one it will work.

My gut is it just picks up the first one when you start the workout. I will ask the group if there is a way to fix this.

PS : you can also use that erg file with TR,

I set up my wife who will officially start biking next week

Bought bike, check
    Install on trainer, check
    Setup VP, check
    Buy nice cycling shorts, check
    Pedals, fit... check

Result : No cycling

Plan B
    "Marc, do these cycling pants make me look fat. ?"
    YES

problem solved, time to get on the bike!

First part of the story = true, second part is my plan if we don't get on the bike next week. She's 5'6 112lbs so I doubt she'll believe the fat part.

2013-12-24 7:21 AM

Extreme Veteran

It looks like something is possible

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/golden-cheetah-users/9UfwyVPSF...

But I haven't tried it. Something to do over the holidays

2013-12-24 7:22 AM

Elite
    PEI, Canada

No PM for her?  Don't you own 4 of them?  Maybe that was Rusty.  

2013-12-24 7:33 AM

Elite
    PEI, Canada

It looks like something is possible https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/golden-cheetah-users/9UfwyVPSF... But I haven't tried it. Something to do over the holidays

Yeah, I will experiment.  It would be odd if it didn't record the ANT+ id.  While we were both riding I started up the new device wizard and it saw both of them and displayed the ANT IDs of both.  I just wasn't close enough to the laptop to type in a name to save it to see if it worked.

2013-12-24 8:20 AM

Extreme Veteran

No PM for her?  Don't you own 4 of them?  Maybe that was Rusty.  

I can justify getting some Vectors if I have to give her my PT.

"only" 2 PMs for me (PT&Quarq) + Computrainer
    2013-12-24 8:31 AM

2013-12-24 8:34 AM

Elite
    PEI, Canada

2,400 in the pool.

Megan (11 yo daughter) ran the workout again. She had me doing a ton of non-freestyle stuff. Then she was helping with my catch.

Loving this swimming with Megan.... family time AND a workout!

That's a sweet deal Fred, doesn't get much better than that!

2013-12-24 8:46 AM

Extreme Veteran

2,400 in the pool.

Megan (11 yo daughter) ran the workout again. She had me doing a ton of non-freestyle stuff. Then she was helping with my catch.

Loving this swimming with Megan.... family time AND a workout!

I can't even get my kids to do an underwater recording of me

One offered IF I bought her a new bathing suit. She doesn't buy her bathing suits at Walmart so this could be an expensive proposition.

Want to trade a kid for a puppy for a week ?

2013-12-24 9:58 AM

Pro
    Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I've been meaning to do an IM Arizona race report but just keep putting it off.  The main reason is that my 910xt quit recording bike data after about 80 miles.  I spent about half a mile on the bike during the race re-starting in bike mode after getting out of multi-sport mode.  There is some data post-80 mile that I'm trying to recover but I may end up with bike power stats for only 80 miles - very frustrating.  Anyway, with vacation this week I may be able to get to writing something up.  A couple months ago folks were chatting about race nutrition plans and I'll try to give specifics on that.  Merry Christmas everyone.

2013-12-24 10:48 AM
    in reply to: Birkierunner

2013-12-24 10:50 AM

2013-12-25 11:33 AM

Merry Christmas all!

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
    date : November 16, 2009
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 1
    Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
    author : AMSSM
    I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
    date : October 11, 2007
    author : Ron
    Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
    author : Courage
    comments : 8
    What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
    date : September 3, 2006
    author : acbadger
    The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
    author : Michael
    If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.