General Discussion Race Reports! » Winding Trails off road tri series race #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply

Winding Trails off road tri series race #1 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Farmington, Connecticut
US
Winding Trails
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 18m 15s
Overall Rank = 80/95
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

This is a midweek evening series so my pre race routine involves rushing around after work and getting there as early as possible so I can set up my transition area and then pace back and forth between the lake and transition - which are .25miles apart!
Event warmup:

I swam 100 yards or so.
Swim
  • 10h 34m 3s
  • 400 yards
  • 2h 38m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I panicked. My first race and only my 3rd open water swim. I tried to stay calm and confident before I started so I really don't know what happened. The Swim was a rectangle so I estimate 100 yards out, 200 yards across and 100 yards back. I got to the first bouy and felt pretty good and had dropped most of the field (Felt like mostly beginner women with me who were all nervous). I rounded the bouy, drank some water and started to hyperventilate. I did that once before on the bike during competition but of course it isn't as big of a deal. I tried to breast stroke it for a bit but I couldn't catch my breath so all I could do was sit there until I calmed down. Then I came to my senses, realized the only way back to shore was to swim, so I kicked it up, put my face in the water and really had a pretty decent swim from there to the end.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out how to avoid panic attacks
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Someone needs to help me figure out how to get a wetsuit off especially with a timing chip on my ankle LOL

Work on getting out of that friggin wetsuit!
Bike
  • 30m 35s
  • 5 miles
  • 9.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Off road is my favorite - but apparently I'm an idiot because in practice I mis read the arrows and went off course. I almost did that last night too except the woman I followed the whole time corrected me. I owe her :) I tried to to draft her and I even told her and complemented her on her line choices. Man I passed so many people. And then I lost it all to them on the run. I expected that though. I could have pushed harder on the bike but my run would have suffered more than it did.

Figure out the course so I don't get lost and I don't have to follow someone!
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

No issues
Run
  • 34m
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Run will always be my weakness unless I can get to the point where my leg doesn't ache anymore and I can get in some quality training.

Nothing really - practice :)
Post race
Warm down:

Emotions got to me and I was all choked up. I remembered the swim and was disappointed but after I walked around for a few minutes I realized it wasn't so bad and I finished and I wasn't last. So overall I left in a good mood. Also, the timing people had started to clean up which kinda pissed me off. I mean I wasn't last by 19 minutes - I hope they stuck around for those people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg injury

Event comments:

I prepaid for 5 so I have at least 4 more of this 10 series to go!!

Last updated: 2013-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
10:34:03 | 400 yards | 2h 38m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 79/95
Performance: Below average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/326590786
Suit:
Course: Rectangle out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:35 | 05 miles | 9.84 mile/hr
Overall: 55/95
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/326590792
Wind: None
Course: Off road on xc skiing trails - which means moderately wide with few rocks and roots. I would have preferred more rocks and roots though ;) I could tell the people who are no comfortable off road - you could hear the brakes as you approach downhills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:00 | 03 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 86/95
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/326590795
Course: I was spent after the bike and I couldn't get my legs to turn over. I did a 5K two days ago at a 9:00 pace which probably didn't help. I need to run on the trail more.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-06-12 5:34 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: Winding Trails off road tri series race #1

2013-06-12 5:46 AM
in reply to: #4773993

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Winding Trails off road tri series race #1
Randee-good job! With each race you gain experience. OWS will get better...just do it as much as you can and you will become more comfortable. 
My Training LogMy Race Log
2013-06-12 10:03 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Randee...so proud of your efforts. And as Randy said, every time, it'll get better. What a great opportunity, too, to have the series available to you.

My first tri is in about 10 days...I'm starting to get a little anxious about the whole thing!
My Race Log
2013-06-12 12:53 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
thanks I still think I'm better suited to the duathlon but my swim coach begs to differ
My Training LogMy Race Log
2013-06-14 4:02 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Nice work! Way to pull yourself together on the swim. Sometimes things will put you off your stride in a race. But you sorted your head out and kept going. That's the most important thing.

For the wetsuit, every time I do an open water swim I practice taking my wetsuit off while running around. It looks weird, but it really helped me get the hang of it.
My Race Log
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Winding Trails off road tri series race #1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Winding Trails Off-Road Tri Series

Started by cobratodd
Views: 491 Posts: 1

2010-10-22 2:56 PM cobratodd

Started by cobratodd
Views: 610 Posts: 1

2010-10-22 2:55 PM cobratodd

Started by cobratodd
Views: 450 Posts: 1

2010-10-22 2:54 PM cobratodd

Started by cobratodd
Views: 446 Posts: 1

2010-10-22 1:59 PM cobratodd

Started by rbriggz
Views: 440 Posts: 1

2010-07-15 2:00 PM rbriggz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : December 15, 2008
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Team BT
There was a long run from the water to the transition area at the London Tri but I quickly found my bike and headed out onto the road.
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.