General Discussion Race Reports! » Winding Trails off road tri series race #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Winding Trails off road tri series race #1 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Farmington, Connecticut
United States
Winding Trails
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 18m 15s
Overall Rank = 80/95
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

This is a midweek evening series so my pre race routine involves rushing around after work and getting there as early as possible so I can set up my transition area and then pace back and forth between the lake and transition - which are .25miles apart!
Event warmup:

I swam 100 yards or so.
Swim
  • 10h 34m 3s
  • 400 yards
  • 2h 38m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I panicked. My first race and only my 3rd open water swim. I tried to stay calm and confident before I started so I really don't know what happened. The Swim was a rectangle so I estimate 100 yards out, 200 yards across and 100 yards back. I got to the first bouy and felt pretty good and had dropped most of the field (Felt like mostly beginner women with me who were all nervous). I rounded the bouy, drank some water and started to hyperventilate. I did that once before on the bike during competition but of course it isn't as big of a deal. I tried to breast stroke it for a bit but I couldn't catch my breath so all I could do was sit there until I calmed down. Then I came to my senses, realized the only way back to shore was to swim, so I kicked it up, put my face in the water and really had a pretty decent swim from there to the end.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out how to avoid panic attacks
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Someone needs to help me figure out how to get a wetsuit off especially with a timing chip on my ankle LOL

Work on getting out of that friggin wetsuit!
Bike
  • 30m 35s
  • 5 miles
  • 9.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Off road is my favorite - but apparently I'm an idiot because in practice I mis read the arrows and went off course. I almost did that last night too except the woman I followed the whole time corrected me. I owe her :) I tried to to draft her and I even told her and complemented her on her line choices. Man I passed so many people. And then I lost it all to them on the run. I expected that though. I could have pushed harder on the bike but my run would have suffered more than it did.

Figure out the course so I don't get lost and I don't have to follow someone!
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

No issues
Run
  • 34m
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Run will always be my weakness unless I can get to the point where my leg doesn't ache anymore and I can get in some quality training.

Nothing really - practice :)
Post race
Warm down:

Emotions got to me and I was all choked up. I remembered the swim and was disappointed but after I walked around for a few minutes I realized it wasn't so bad and I finished and I wasn't last. So overall I left in a good mood. Also, the timing people had started to clean up which kinda pissed me off. I mean I wasn't last by 19 minutes - I hope they stuck around for those people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg injury

Event comments:

I prepaid for 5 so I have at least 4 more of this 10 series to go!!

Last updated: 2013-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
10:34:03 | 400 yards | 2h 38m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 79/95
Performance: Below average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/326590786
Suit:
Course: Rectangle out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:35 | 05 miles | 9.84 mile/hr
Overall: 55/95
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/326590792
Wind: None
Course: Off road on xc skiing trails - which means moderately wide with few rocks and roots. I would have preferred more rocks and roots though ;) I could tell the people who are no comfortable off road - you could hear the brakes as you approach downhills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:00 | 03 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 86/95
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/326590795
Course: I was spent after the bike and I couldn't get my legs to turn over. I did a 5K two days ago at a 9:00 pace which probably didn't help. I need to run on the trail more.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-06-12 5:34 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: Winding Trails off road tri series race #1

2013-06-12 5:46 AM
in reply to: #4773993

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Winding Trails off road tri series race #1
Randee-good job! With each race you gain experience. OWS will get better...just do it as much as you can and you will become more comfortable. 
2013-06-12 10:03 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Randee...so proud of your efforts. And as Randy said, every time, it'll get better. What a great opportunity, too, to have the series available to you.

My first tri is in about 10 days...I'm starting to get a little anxious about the whole thing!
2013-06-12 12:53 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
thanks I still think I'm better suited to the duathlon but my swim coach begs to differ
2013-06-14 4:02 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Nice work! Way to pull yourself together on the swim. Sometimes things will put you off your stride in a race. But you sorted your head out and kept going. That's the most important thing.

For the wetsuit, every time I do an open water swim I practice taking my wetsuit off while running around. It looks weird, but it really helped me get the hang of it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Winding Trails off road tri series race #1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Winding Trails Off-Road Tri Series

Started by cobratodd
Views: 1007 Posts: 1

2010-10-22 2:56 PM cobratodd

Started by cobratodd
Views: 1089 Posts: 1

2010-10-22 2:55 PM cobratodd

Started by cobratodd
Views: 941 Posts: 1

2010-10-22 2:54 PM cobratodd

Started by cobratodd
Views: 981 Posts: 1

2010-10-22 1:59 PM cobratodd

Started by rbriggz
Views: 1001 Posts: 1

2010-07-15 2:00 PM rbriggz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : December 15, 2008
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Team BT
There was a long run from the water to the transition area at the London Tri but I quickly found my bike and headed out onto the road.
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.