Other Resources The Political Joe » Immigration Reform will die in Congress??? Thoughts??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-12 6:55 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: Immigration Reform will die in Congress??? Thoughts???
Guys

Just like the post "immigration reform will die in congress???" thoughts??

watcha think guys????

Just to be honest , I am an immigrant ,but I waited 10 years for my papers to be come through.

My stand is we are millions in line for immigration and you see from afar people are going around to cut in line,
and now those that cut in line gets a free pass????

lets see each other sides

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-12 6:55 PM

2013-07-12 7:23 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Immigration Reform will die in Congress??? Thoughts???

I agree that it will either die or a grossly watered down version will come out.

It's a complex issue and there's no easy answer, IMHO.

Many conservatives take the approach of "they broke the law coming here, so they're criminals, deport them all".  I disagree completely because the US has ALLOWED them to come here, even though it was against the law.  Republicans want lots of cheap labor for business and Democrats want lots of low income people to have low income babies to vote for them.  Hence, we are where we are.

My fix is to just make work visa's easier to get so people wanting to come to the country to work can do it legally.  Maybe it's not even a visa, just a non resident work ID card so they can legally work here and pay taxes.  Our birth rate is dropping like crazy, and we need more workers.
Then reform the legal citizenship process so it's not a 10 year $100k (don't really know how much it costs) type of process.

Oh, and if you combine the work visa's with legalizing drugs that pretty much wipes out the need for a $100000000000000000 fence boondoggle. 

2013-07-12 8:19 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Originally posted by tuwood

I agree that it will either die or a grossly watered down version will come out.

Many conservatives take the approach of "they broke the law coming here, so they're criminals, deport them all".  I disagree completely because the US has ALLOWED them to come here, even though it was against the law.  Republicans want lots of cheap labor for business and Democrats want lots of low income people to have low income babies to vote for them.  Hence, we are where we are.

My fix is to just make work visa's easier to get so people wanting to come to the country to work can do it legally.  Maybe it's not even a visa, just a non resident work ID card so they can legally work here and pay taxes.  Our birth rate is dropping like crazy, and we need more workers.
Then reform the legal citizenship process so it's not a 10 year $100k (don't really know how much it costs) type of process.

Oh, and if you combine the work visa's with legalizing drugs that pretty much wipes out the need for a $100000000000000000 fence boondoggle. 

Sounds good to me Tony. My husband is an immigrant. One of the hardest working taxpayers I know. 

2013-07-12 8:44 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

i see were your coming from Tony, easy access to visa's and work permits is good for the millions lined up who wants to work in the US ,but how about those that are out of status or are here illegally if they receive pardon it wont be fare for those still lined up. I strongly believe there should be accountability before pardon, not necessarily deporting them. I know they are just working or a living to help their families. A full pardon was provided by Pres.Clinton before it did not solve the problem and it became worse.
2013-07-12 9:42 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by strykergt

i see were your coming from Tony, easy access to visa's and work permits is good for the millions lined up who wants to work in the US ,but how about those that are out of status or are here illegally if they receive pardon it wont be fare for those still lined up. I strongly believe there should be accountability before pardon, not necessarily deporting them. I know they are just working or a living to help their families. A full pardon was provided by Pres.Clinton before it did not solve the problem and it became worse.

I think you treat them the same as if they were just coming over.  Let them apply for work permits to get on the books and paying taxes.  Then allow them to start the "new" streamlined citizenship process (whatever that looks like).

As you mentioned, we can't deport them because it's just not that simple.  Many have children that are US citizens by birth and it would get really whacky very fast.

I used to have the attitude of throw them all back when I was younger.  Then I moved to Chula Vista, CA (south of San Diego) and would get to watch the border patrol hunt illegals down like animals.  One morning I heard the choppers flying over chasing illegals and looked out on my back patio.  There was a young couple in their mid twenties cowering on my patio holding their three children and crying in fear.  It couldn't have become more obvious that they were not criminals, they just wanted a better life for their family.  They were dressed like they were going to church.

I fed them breakfast and wished them well.

See Kate, I'm not all crazy conservative. 

2013-07-12 10:06 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

I think you treat them the same as if they were just coming over.  Let them apply for work permits to get on the books and paying taxes.  Then allow them to start the "new" streamlined citizenship process (whatever that looks like).

As you mentioned, we can't deport them because it's just not that simple.  Many have children that are US citizens by birth and it would get really whacky very fast.

I used to have the attitude of throw them all back when I was younger.  Then I moved to Chula Vista, CA (south of San Diego) and would get to watch the border patrol hunt illegals down like animals.  One morning I heard the choppers flying over chasing illegals and looked out on my back patio.  There was a young couple in their mid twenties cowering on my patio holding their three children and crying in fear.  It couldn't have become more obvious that they were not criminals, they just wanted a better life for their family.  They were dressed like they were going to church.

it is really very complex even if they are given legal status , what benefits await them. I work in the hospital and i always see them at the ER case managers decides whats good for them as long as the paient is stable even though there maybe underlying problems they get discharged and goodluck to ever being admitted.

2013-07-12 10:27 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

it is really very complex even if they are given legal status , what benefits await them. I work in the hospital and i always see them at the ER case managers decides whats good for them as long as the paient is stable even though there maybe underlying problems they get discharged and goodluck to ever being admitted.

Yeah, I agree.  There are a ton of complexities.  Medical care, legal rights, drivers licenses, etc...

This is one of the big reasons I feel congress will kick this can as far down the road as they can.

2013-07-13 8:26 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

In all fairness though, they do the same for most people who come through the ER. The majority of people who go to an ER don't actually need to be at the ER.

Personally, I look at it like this. We're all descendants of immigrants (or i your case 1st generation immigrant) pretty much so why are we trying to prevent all of these people who are just doing what our ancestors did.
2013-07-13 9:04 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro
Originally posted by JoshR

In all fairness though, they do the same for most people who come through the ER. ,b..The majority of people who go to an ER don't actually need to be at the ER. ,/b.

Personally, I look at it like this. We're all descendants of immigrants (or i your case 1st generation immigrant) pretty much so why are we trying to prevent all of these people who are just doing what our ancestors did.

Spent 3 1/2 hours at the ER last Sunday morning with my son after he buried a fish hook in his leg (but you should see the fish!). Other than a cop and her partner who had been in a traffic accident, we were the ONLY people there who required emergency treatment.

People still strive to enter America because we represent a better life. My great-grandparents came here from Eastern Europe after WWI because of religious persecution. Typical immigrant story, nothing but the shirts on their backs, got renamed at Elllis Island, worked like dogs to give their kids a better life, etc. Those that are willing to contribute should have a path to becoming legal immigrants. If they are obeying the law, working, and paying taxes that only helps the country. And if you're not willing to do so, you should be deported.
2013-07-13 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

The one thing nearly guaranteed to pass is that the tech billionaires (Zuckerberg, Ellison, Gates, et. al.) will get their quadrupling or more of H1-B visas so that those who make a living as tech workers will experience some strong downward wage pressure.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/h-1b/american-tech-workers-lose-out-in-h-1b-lottery-216341

2013-07-13 10:58 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Pro
Originally posted by SevenZulu

The one thing nearly guaranteed to pass is that the tech billionaires (Zuckerberg, Ellison, Gates, et. al.) will get their quadrupling or more of H1-B visas so that those who make a living as tech workers will experience some strong downward wage pressure.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/h-1b/american-tech-workers-lose-out-in-h-1b-lottery-216341

This is baloney. I've hired a bunch of people with H-1B visas. They get issued because there aren't enough US citizens qualified to fill the positions. Perhaps if more American students went to graduate school for STEM-related degrees, this wouldn't be necessary.

2013-07-13 11:47 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

This is baloney. I've hired a bunch of people with H-1B visas. They get issued because there aren't enough US citizens qualified to fill the positions. Perhaps if more American students went to graduate school for STEM-related degrees, this wouldn't be necessary.

I'd pile on a little as well.  I've hired a few H-1B Network Engineers in the past and it was an option of last resort.  I think it cost us around $10k to go through the process, plus paying for international travel.  The two I hired, I actually had to pay more than I would have a local dude because they were being recruited from all over the world.

So, as Brian mentioned there weren't enough qualified candidates locally so I had to go overseas (and pay more).

2013-07-13 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I'd pile on a little as well.  I've hired a few H-1B Network Engineers in the past and it was an option of last resort.  I think it cost us around $10k to go through the process, plus paying for international travel.  The two I hired, I actually had to pay more than I would have a local dude because they were being recruited from all over the world.

So, as Brian mentioned there weren't enough qualified candidates locally so I had to go overseas (and pay more).

You mean to say there were no other qualified candidates in the US?  Really?

2013-07-13 3:10 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I can't speak to Brian, but I'll answer in the context of my position.  Mine goes back a few years to ~2005 when I was looking for high level Cisco certified engineers holding the CCIE certification.  There were only 4 people in the state with that certification level and they all were very happy where they were.  I had a nationwide search on and was offering $115k/yr. for the salary.  I got a couple nibbles, but nobody wanted to move to Nebraska and the positions sat open for over a year.
I eventually opened the salary up to pay somebody whatever they wanted, and still couldn't get any interest because there are zero unemployed CCIE's.  They all have very good paying jobs and you have to convince them to quit their current job because yours is better.

I was eventually approached by a recruiter who had some international candidates and we decided to move that direction.

Could I have hired just  anybody, who wasn't qualified and train them for two or three years?  No, because a CCIE is the rough equivalent to a doctor with a PHD specializing in a certain area of medicine.  A mistake in this position could cost the business I worked at tens of millions of dollars in less than a day.  It wasn't a training ground.

Now, granted highly educated college graduates coming in and working on H1-B Visa's is a lot different than low income workers sneaking across the border so we're probably out in the weeds a bit.

2013-07-13 4:56 PM

User image

Pro

I mean that there were no better qualified candidates, anywhere. I've worked for several major pharmaceutical companies in research management, and at one time had 14 Ph.D.'s in my group - 3 of whom were US-born. At the time it was a relatively new scientific specialty, and the makeup of the candidate pool simply reflected the pool of people that had gone through Ph.D. and postdoctoral programs. Unfortunately, US-born students just don't seem to want to spend 6+ years in graduate school when they can spend 2 getting an MBA and make twice the money. I'm still on faculty at a university and nothing has changed.
2013-07-13 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

We're not in the weeds.  Zuckerberg made a deliberate effort to steer the immigration legislation towards massively ratcheting up the H1-B limit.  His agenda of boosting Facebook's profits by flooding the supply of tech workers to achieve wage suppression became the immigration bill.  Some type of immigration reform is likely to pass.  What passes may not not even address, or perhaps minimally address, the illegal immigration situation.  It will almost certainly open up the flood gate for H1-B visas.  Enough money was steered to enough politicians to guarantee this.  As with nearly everything that comes from Washington, we again have the best government that money can buy. 

I've seen places that fill their ranks with H1-b workers getting paid 1/3 or less the prevailing rate, maybe $15-20/hr when a green card or US citizen would pull perhaps $60-70 for the same work.  These visa workers sit 8-12 in a closet converted to workspace, and they live together crammed into an apartment by similar numbers.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-immigration-bill-political-win-mark-zuckerberg-fwdus-20130627,0,4908127.story

2013-07-13 6:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

We're not in the weeds.  Zuckerberg made a deliberate effort to steer the immigration legislation towards massively ratcheting up the H1-B limit.  His agenda of boosting Facebook's profits by flooding the supply of tech workers to achieve wage suppression became the immigration bill.  Some type of immigration reform is likely to pass.  What passes may not not even address, or perhaps minimally address, the illegal immigration situation.  It will almost certainly open up the flood gate for H1-B visas.  Enough money was steered to enough politicians to guarantee this.  As with nearly everything that comes from Washington, we again have the best government that money can buy. 

I've seen places that fill their ranks with H1-b workers getting paid 1/3 or less the prevailing rate, maybe $15-20/hr when a green card or US citizen would pull perhaps $60-70 for the same work.  These visa workers sit 8-12 in a closet converted to workspace, and they live together crammed into an apartment by similar numbers.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-immigration-bill-political-win-mark-zuckerberg-fwdus-20130627,0,4908127.story

Please provide references. You say you've seen places fill their ranks with H1-B visa holders getting paid 1/3 that of prevailing rate. By law that is illegal, and each employer must receive certification (an LCA) from the US Dept. of Labor prior to hiring. In fact, the LCA's are publicly available. Minimum salaryfor H1-B visa holders at FB was $69,190, top salary was $200,000.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-07-13 6:50 PM
2013-07-13 7:00 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Please provide references. You say you've seen places fill their ranks with H1-B visa holders getting paid 1/3 that of prevailing rate. By law that is illegal, and each employer must receive certification (an LCA) from the US Dept. of Labor prior to hiring. In fact, the LCA's are publicly available. Minimum salaryfor H1-B visa holders at FB was $69,190, top salary was $200,000.

^  yeah, what he said. 

The truth is, it's a global economy.  No matter what, people who are qualified will do the work.  If we put in place policies that force people to hire Americans in America then the company will just open up offices overseas.

That's exactly what's happened in the manufacturing industry.  Unions and many other entities forced companies to not hire foreign labor and mandated they pay higher wages to their employees through collective bargaining and laws.  It's not exactly the same, but it's the similar economic law that governs them both.

2013-07-14 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
I won't say where, but I have witnessed it first-hand.  I imagine the way it's accomplished is by bringing in a vendor on a project basis that sponsors the visa workers and skirts the laws.  Trust me, when the numbers balloon, so will the abuses.  If there are large sums of money involved, there will be corruption.  And there are large sums of money involved.
2013-07-14 9:39 AM

User image

Expert

^  yeah, what he said. 

The truth is, it's a global economy.  No matter what, people who are qualified will do the work.  If we put in place policies that force people to hire Americans in America then the company will just open up offices overseas.

That's exactly what's happened in the manufacturing industry.  Unions and many other entities forced companies to not hire foreign labor and mandated they pay higher wages to their employees through collective bargaining and laws.  It's not exactly the same, but it's the similar economic law that governs them both.

I thought it was the free trade acts that caused that. What if companies would have had to pay high tariffs on goods manufactured overseas and sold in the US? That might have kept some of it in the states. The wage gap in the USA is huge and growing. That can't be good for the economy.

I don't think allowing more immigrant work visas will help. 

2013-07-14 3:06 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Pearland,Tx

The H1B visas is not actually a big thing since its cap before was around 100K/year back when it is still the INS. The USCIS stepped in plus the 9-11 they sliced it down to as low as 35K/year i know this for a fact because i started here as H1B. The 35k the USCIS are not saying this but the common priorities are the foreigners that are US university graduates ,foreign resident doctors. Foreign graduates gets least priority, unless the US company will justify the skill is so particular to the field and badly needed then the papers gets moving. There are small companies who wants to petition their relatives that even though the skill required is locally available their lawyers will work with the small buiness to tailor the personel to the needs to the needs of the company. THe USCIS is aware of this dishonesty and will out right disapprove it.

The H1B are particular only to a requirement of atleast bachelors degree level. Majority of the 11 million undocumented i dont mean to stereotye ,but majority are below bachelors level. The jobs that needs to come back are manufacturing and if they do come back the millions of jobless americans will share it with the 11 million undocumented??? The jobs that will benefit this pardon are the immigration lawyers.

2013-07-15 9:06 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by KateTri1

^  yeah, what he said. 

I thought it was the free trade acts that caused that. What if companies would have had to pay high tariffs on goods manufactured overseas and sold in the US? That might have kept some of it in the states. The wage gap in the USA is huge and growing. That can't be good for the economy.

I'm the furthest thing from a macro economist, but I think you're correct in the context of manufactured goods.  In my industry (IT Services) the tariffs don't really apply because it's services that are being done remotely overseas or people being brought over for employment purposes (H1-B) when we can't find candidates locally.

As for low income workers the current Visa program doesn't fit them at all.  If we were to implement something like that it would have to be a whole new program.  Go to the US embassy, pay your $10 and have a background check to get your immigrant worker card which would allow you to legally cross the border and get a job.

Now obviously there are the complexities of having 20M people from Mexico commuting across the border every day and taking over 95% of the low income jobs.  That would cause downward wage pressure, so I recognize my simplistic approach has a lot of issues as well. 

Like I said, they'll likely just kick the can down the road versus try to fix this very complex issue.

2013-07-15 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by KateTri1

^  yeah, what he said. 

I'm the furthest thing from a macro economist, but I think you're correct in the context of manufactured goods.  In my industry (IT Services) the tariffs don't really apply because it's services that are being done remotely overseas or people being brought over for employment purposes (H1-B) when we can't find candidates locally.

As for low income workers the current Visa program doesn't fit them at all.  If we were to implement something like that it would have to be a whole new program.  Go to the US embassy, pay your $10 and have a background check to get your immigrant worker card which would allow you to legally cross the border and get a job.

Now obviously there are the complexities of having 20M people from Mexico commuting across the border every day and taking over 95% of the low income jobs.  That would cause downward wage pressure, so I recognize my simplistic approach has a lot of issues as well. 

Like I said, they'll likely just kick the can down the road versus try to fix this very complex issue.

Not to mention most of them not commuting... They are gonna get over the border and stay. 

2013-07-16 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
One of the problem with all of these H1B visas, immigration, and outsourcing is I know so several people who decided to to take there education in that direction because of it.

When I graduated from college with comp sci the talk was "OK now what" since many of us felt like we had a useless degree. Grad school was like a mini reunion since those who wanted to try stay in direction went just so they could hopefully find work. It was not easier for electrical and mechanical engineering students.

A friend of mine who worked for Intel on the original Pentium chip became a house dad because there is just nothing out there for him and he was forced out of the market.

2013-07-16 9:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by chirunner134

One of the problem with all of these H1B visas, immigration, and outsourcing is I know so several people who decided to to take there education in that direction because of it.

When I graduated from college with comp sci the talk was "OK now what" since many of us felt like we had a useless degree. Grad school was like a mini reunion since those who wanted to try stay in direction went just so they could hopefully find work. It was not easier for electrical and mechanical engineering students.

A friend of mine who worked for Intel on the original Pentium chip became a house dad because there is just nothing out there for him and he was forced out of the market.

Engineering is complex now a days, if your engineering is related to building structures,powerplants and a like and manufacturing(electrical,Civil,Architecture,Chemical and Mechanical). There is a great chance you will be jobless no body is building now. Manufacturing is shifted overseas.

The lucrative Engineering jobs nowadays are Biomedical Engineering(Healthcare) ,Petroleum Engineering ,Mechanical Eng'g pertaining to Oil Industry, talented software engineer designers. The outsourcing BS!!! that shifted manufacturing overseas stopped the job potential outside of the Oil and Healthcare industry.

The American BS!!! culture nowadays if you are laid off in your 50's goodluck getting rehired is like going through an eye of a needle there are younger engineers out there who can do the job equally. Everyone will agree with me thats the American way of hiring and firing nothing personal just that business is not doing good we have to let you go!

Obama wants to bring in 11 million undocumented to the market without fixing yet the economy and the millions of American citizens unemployed.

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-16 9:40 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Immigration Reform will die in Congress??? Thoughts??? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
What can you do? You can implement small but sustainable changes that you can happily maintain for the rest of your life. The changes might have more to do with lifestyle than food.