United States
Korff Enterprises Sports Marketing & Event Management
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 52m 43s
Overall Rank = 1371/3046
Age Group = 30-34F
Age Group Rank = 43/236
Pre-race routine:

Got to the bike area at 4am. Wanted to be first in line for the pump at the Bike Mechanic Station. Set-up bike and afterwards immediatly got into the bathroom line by transition. Walked to the swim start eating a bagel + peanut butter. I think it was too much food and I was worried that I had over-done it. Got into the porta potty line one more time. Found my age group sign and was ready to go.
Event warmup:

none.
Swim
  • 20m 21s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first Olympic race so I was pretty nervous. My breathing caused some issues in my stroke in the beginning. Towards the end I was able to swim a little faster and calm down. I did keep swimming to the left (even hit a kyack) and had issues swimming straight. However, this was a PR for me.
What would you do differently?:

Calm down! Relax! Pretend it's another swim in the pool by myself. Practice sighting to make sure I stay on track throughout the swim.
And I fell when I got pulled out of the water..klutz is me!
Transition 1
  • 07m
Comments:

There was alot of people that got out of the swim at the same time as me. Luckily I was able to find an area to jump on the bike without disturbing others.

Run a little faster to the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 23s
  • 24.86 miles
  • 16.86 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike ride was bumpy and hilly. I almost killed the person in front of me who got off her bike to WALK the first hill out of the transition area. There was almost not enough room to go around her. The officials warned everyone over and over again - easy gears. I had to stand up (on the bike) to get through that hill but I was ready for it. The roads were bumpy and I kept thinking my tire was going flat. Lost all my gu from the first pothole I went over.

I practiced my hills well. I just have to push myself harder on the straightaways. I did feel I did a good enough amount of passing but would like to do more. Buy a box to carry my gu.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Had a fast transition here for me. I was happy with it.

Run out of transition with gu instead of stopping to take it.
Run
  • 55m 2s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Urgh..this is where I fell apart. It was hot and I was tired. I thought I trained well for this with multiple bricks but I guess not. I made it through the first 5K just fine (8.11 pace) and then shortly after had to do a run/walk. Very disapointing.

Practice more bricks with longer runs and in the heat. I always ran in the early AM to avoid the heat but it was unavoidable during the race! Smile as I cross the finish line. Frankly - I looked like death in my pictures.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat on a bench with the ice pack the medic gave me (see above - I looked like crap). Slowly walk home and stopped by the pretzel cart for a salted pretzel. Shower - get ready for celebratory lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The HEAT, lack of confidence in the swim and the bike, losing my gu on the bike course.

Event comments:

I gave this race a 5 because I loved the great volunteers that were situated along the bike, run and swim course. NYC is my hometown and I loved participating in this race. Hope to get in through the lottery next year.

Last updated: 2013-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:21 | 1500 meters | 01m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 59/236
Overall: 1576/3046
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:28:23 | 24.86 miles | 16.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 45/236
Overall: 1932/3046
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Rolling Hills on a bumpy unpaved highway.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:02 | 06.2 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 67/236
Overall: 1125/3046
Performance: Below average
Course: Hills of Central Park
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-18 12:11 PM

Subject: New York City Triathlon

2013-07-18 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4807904

User image

Subject: RE: New York City Triathlon
I had the exact same problems and observations.  If it makes you feel better my falling apart on the run was much worse and slower than yours :-)
2013-07-18 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4807904

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: New York City Triathlon
Count me in x3. My swim was the best part of the day (18:30). Bike was unexpectedly hilly, and the road surface was uneven, at best. I was a mess on the run, too. Seemed uphill the whole way. and so hot....72nd street was an oven.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York City Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New York City Triathlon

Started by afield
Views: 1956 Posts: 1

2007-07-22 4:25 PM afield

New York City Triathlon

Started by fenway
Views: 2083 Posts: 5

2006-07-19 11:59 AM rollinsw

New York City Triathlon

Started by cobannero
Views: 1127 Posts: 9

2006-07-20 8:40 PM ropkins

Ford New York City Triathlon

Started by Kauh
Views: 1816 Posts: 1

2005-12-07 9:36 AM Kauh

Ford New York City Triathlon

Started by oipolloi
Views: 2344 Posts: 4

2006-01-16 9:31 AM ropkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : July 31, 2006
author : Ontherun
This is NOT a diet book, but a weightloss book that has helped me change how I see food and the choices I make when I eat.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : August 31, 2004
GILFORD, New Hampshire (August 23, 2004) – After thunderous, heavy rains on Saturday challenged sprint triathletes to middle-distance-like efforts, Sunday’s middle-distance Timberman Triathlon (1.9 km