General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in heat - how to avoid "squishy shoes"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-21 11:44 AM
in reply to: Skippy74

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Running in heat - how to avoid "squishy shoes"?
Originally posted by Skippy74

OK I run in Balega socks exclusively and still have this same problem and definitely had blisters doing a full IM because of the squishies. I do remember reading that someone on their blog posted about taking an older pair of their current running shoes and drilling holes through the bottoms in prep for Kona to try and avoid this problem while still using their "comfortable" shoe. I've considered it and been thinking about it again recently as the humidity has gone back through the roof!

I could not imagine drilling holes in $160 pair of Hokas.

2013-07-22 12:18 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Singapore
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by Oysterboy I have remarked that after a long run my socks and shoes are pretty moist but I don't think I can ever say I felt like they were squishy. The idea of using running shoes with drain holes (Both Zoot and K-Swiss make these too), is something to consider.

I wonder if you could drill drainage holes into a pair of shoes? Could try it on an old pair...

Apparently you can do this on non-tri bike shoes. (I haven't tried it)

The only way to eliminate the squish is to remove the water. The only way to do that is to give it a path out. If the shoe does not have it built in then make the holes yourself. I run in Kinvaras and drill 1/8" holes in the toebox area (just did this yesterday fo my new pair). Typically 5 holes. The shoes drain out as you run. No squish. NOTE: make sure your shoe sole does not have an air pocket.

I sweat similar to you. During my runs in Singapore I have soaked shoes by :45-:50. Once I drilled the holes it does not bother me no matter how long I run or how much water I dumped on my head.
2013-07-22 4:57 AM
in reply to: antman

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by antman

Originally posted by Oysterboy I have remarked that after a long run my socks and shoes are pretty moist but I don't think I can ever say I felt like they were squishy. The idea of using running shoes with drain holes (Both Zoot and K-Swiss make these too), is something to consider.

I wonder if you could drill drainage holes into a pair of shoes? Could try it on an old pair...

Apparently you can do this on non-tri bike shoes. (I haven't tried it)

The only way to eliminate the squish is to remove the water. The only way to do that is to give it a path out. If the shoe does not have it built in then make the holes yourself. I run in Kinvaras and drill 1/8" holes in the toebox area (just did this yesterday fo my new pair). Typically 5 holes. The shoes drain out as you run. No squish. NOTE: make sure your shoe sole does not have an air pocket. I sweat similar to you. During my runs in Singapore I have soaked shoes by :45-:50. Once I drilled the holes it does not bother me no matter how long I run or how much water I dumped on my head.
Do you drill through the insole too or take it out? Anything special about your bit? I'll tell you what guys, I have a pair of Hokas at home that I'm not crazy about. I'll try it later today and report with pics.
2013-07-27 11:39 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Quick update on this quest - I followed advice on here, and added (i) Balega socks, and (ii) CEP calf sleeves to my long run arsenal since last week's long run.

Both weeks: 14 miles at similar intensity, similar time of day. Last week the humidity was higher: 73 vs. 67 dewpoint, and the temps were a bit higher. So the key data point is the delay between "drenched shorts" and "squishy shoes", rather than exactly when each of those disgusting thresholds was reached.

Last week: drenched shorts: 5.5 miles; squishy shoes: 7 miles.
This week: drenched shorts: 7.5 miles; squishy shoes: 12.5 miles.

My wife burst out laughing when she saw me decked out with my halo headband, Hoka clown-shoes, and calf sleeves. But for those extra few miles with dry feet, I'll take it.
2013-07-27 11:45 AM

User image

Altra makes a triathlon shoe that has drain vents in them. Haven't tried them so not sure how well they work.
2013-07-28 9:00 PM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Regular
LHOTP

OK you Hoka lovers.  You can, in fact, drill Hokas for drainage.

Someone had previously posted they used a 1/8ths bit.  I used a 9/64ths.  You may even want to go bigger.

I drilled in the smooth lanes between the "traction pads" on the bottom. Spacing the holes every 1" or so.

Here's a comparison of one done, one not done.

I took the insole out.  FYI, you can also drill through the insole, but I don't think that's necessary.

Pic of the inside minus the insole.

Hope this helps:)

2013-07-28 9:18 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Very interesting. And great how-to pix.

So now all that we need is a report on what happens when you take them out for a long run on a disgustingly humid day.
2013-07-28 9:21 PM
in reply to: #4808444

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I'm having a hard time believing that moisture will leach out small holes in the sole. I did always wonder why some tri shoes had drains in them. It's not to drain water from the swim bc you have the bike in between. Don't straight runners encounter the same issues? They dont have drains. But I could be incredibly wrong. Maybe the drains (factory installed or drilled) do make a difference.

Anyway, here is my baseline. I ran 14 this afternoon in 87 degree NC heat and started squishing at about mile 8. I wore my tri kit rather than running shorts and shirt bc I was inspired by the other thread on singlets and I must say that I was much more comfortable. So next time I will buy those socks everyone is recommending and wear compression calf sleeves and see how it compares. I'm going to wait on drilling holes in my shoes.
2013-07-28 9:49 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by colinphillips Very interesting. And great how-to pix. So now all that we need is a report on what happens when you take them out for a long run on a disgustingly humid day. :)

Yeah, right?

I usually don't wear my Hokas because I (gasp!) don't like them :)  I do wear them when I'm gonna run on gravel, but for long runs I really try not to do that.

Couple of things: 

1) You can absolutely make the holes bigger, but why not start at this scale and go up if  needed?  (You can always cut your board too short and then glue it back together...)

2) I can very confidently say that drilling your shoes will not hurt them.  I examined them carefully--no problems.  Promise:)

2013-07-29 7:14 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Another update.  I decided one way to test the drainage would be to just fill the shoe up with water. Duh.

Filled the shoe completely with water--right up to the place where the ankle padding thickens and comes in a bit.  It took exactly 56 seconds for the shoe to drain completely.  Of course, your shoe will never be full of water, and you'll be forcefully expelling the water/sweat with every footstrike. 

Drill the freakin holes!  It will solve your problems:)

2013-07-29 8:30 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Another update.  I decided one way to test the drainage would be to just fill the shoe up with water. Duh.

Filled the shoe completely with water--right up to the place where the ankle padding thickens and comes in a bit.  It took exactly 56 seconds for the shoe to drain completely.  Of course, your shoe will never be full of water, and you'll be forcefully expelling the water/sweat with every footstrike. 

Drill the freakin holes!  It will solve your problems

Fantastic!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in heat - how to avoid "squishy shoes"? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Heat's affect on shoes

Started by cjiminez
Views: 2663 Posts: 3

2012-09-05 6:34 AM Duanerice

Sockless - avoiding blisters on the run

Started by MonkeyClaw
Views: 2294 Posts: 12

2015-03-24 10:44 AM JohnnyKay

How Many Runs Per Week To Increase Fitness/Avoid Injury

Started by supa-powa
Views: 4295 Posts: 10

2009-07-29 11:00 PM JorgeM

Sweat running into shoes squishy feet....

Started by jeanneroth
Views: 888 Posts: 4

2004-08-13 8:23 AM jmc1888

Squishy Shoes

Started by tboepple
Views: 855 Posts: 4

2004-06-14 10:52 PM tboepple
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : September 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : December 11, 2007
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?

date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.