General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in heat - how to avoid "squishy shoes"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-18 11:13 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: Running in heat - how to avoid "squishy shoes"?
Do any of you folks have any useful tips on avoiding "squishy shoes" when running in hot/humid weather? I've been having reasonable success in slowly re-building my mileage after injury, and not letting the summer heat derail me. But after a few miles of running on a hot morning so much sweat runs down my legs that my socks and shoes become drenched, making each step a disgusting squelch. This week I'm getting that effect after only 40 minutes of steady running. The sequence seems to be that first the shirt gets soaked, then it drips down to the shorts, then the shoes quickly load up.

Do any of you guys out there have any tips for how to avoid this, or at least how to delay these effects? Last year during marathon training I tried stopping at home halfway through a long run to do a full change.

2013-07-19 2:38 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Running in heat - how to avoid "squishy shoes"?
I don't normally generate enough sweat to cause the "squishy" shoe syndrome but have done some hot races where a combination of sweat, ice, water, and other fluids have saturated my shoes.  First experience with this was a very "squishy" day that resulted in some nasty blisters and some pretty disgusting socks.  I switched to Pearl Izumi iso transitions that have great drainage in the bottom of the soles and that made all the difference in the world.
2013-07-19 2:51 AM

Originally posted by colinphillips

Do any of you folks have any useful tips on avoiding "squishy shoes" when running in hot/humid weather? I've been having reasonable success in slowly re-building my mileage after injury, and not letting the summer heat derail me. But after a few miles of running on a hot morning so much sweat runs down my legs that my socks and shoes become drenched, making each step a disgusting squelch. This week I'm getting that effect after only 40 minutes of steady running. The sequence seems to be that first the shirt gets soaked, then it drips down to the shorts, then the shoes quickly load up.

Do any of you guys out there have any tips for how to avoid this, or at least how to delay these effects? Last year during marathon training I tried stopping at home halfway through a long run to do a full change.

Do you wear wicking socks and shoes? Some shoes have venting/draining holes to get rid of moisture...
2013-07-19 5:32 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
I've found that wool socks like Woolsports brand helps a lot in hot weather races where I'm sweating a lot, dumping water all over myself, and getting sprayed down with hoses by friendly spectators. I run in Saucony Kinvaras, so I'm not doing anything special in that regard.
2013-07-19 5:54 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I have remarked that after a long run my socks and shoes are pretty moist but I don't think I can ever say I felt like they were squishy. The idea of using running shoes with drain holes (Both Zoot and K-Swiss make these too), is something to consider.
2013-07-19 7:03 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Colin,
I've been encountering this issue on longer runs as well. I haven't tried it, but have thought about trying sweat bands on my ankles just above my socks. It may look a bit goofy, but it could work.

2013-07-19 7:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Thanks for the responses so far, guys. I do use wicking socks, though I should try out the (smart)wool option. I should add one piece of context. I switched to running in Hoka shoes back in the spring ("maximalist"), and I credit the Hokas with keeping me in the running game. Yes, I look stupid in them, but if I'm still running, then I'm the one who's laughing. So unfortunately switching to a shoe with drainage holes isn't an option right now. Apparently Hoka may be coming out with a triathlon-specific model with drainage sometime soon, but that hasn't happened yet.

One thing that I tried that yielded some small amount of respite: since the shorts get saturated before the socks/shoes, I can delay the squishy grossness a little by stopping to wring out the shorts. Yes, that must look pretty weird, too.

Edited by colinphillips 2013-07-19 7:07 AM
2013-07-19 7:07 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Oysterboy I have remarked that after a long run my socks and shoes are pretty moist but I don't think I can ever say I felt like they were squishy. The idea of using running shoes with drain holes (Both Zoot and K-Swiss make these too), is something to consider.

I wonder if you could drill drainage holes into a pair of shoes? Could try it on an old pair...

Apparently you can do this on non-tri bike shoes. (I haven't tried it)

2013-07-19 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Darn Tough Merino Wool socks.
2013-07-19 9:25 AM

User image

Pro

if you have that feeling- you're using the wrong socks.  or, to say it differently, there are much better socks out there.

I'm not crazy about wool.  I use Balega socks.  I love that I can go on a long run with them, wade through creeks, and (after a few waterlogged steps to get the bulk of the water out of my shoes) never even notice that my feet feel wet.  they're that good.  can run 10 or 20 miles in completely sopping wet shoes, but never have that squishy feeling.

there are some great socks out there these days.  high tech.  get'm.  you'll love'm.

2013-07-19 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4808444

User image

I know a few people who wear calf sleeves to help with avoiding the squishy shoes.

2013-07-19 11:45 AM
in reply to: natethomas2000

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Originally posted by natethomas2000

Colin,
I've been encountering this issue on longer runs as well. I haven't tried it, but have thought about trying sweat bands on my ankles just above my socks. It may look a bit goofy, but it could work.

Tried this two days ago. It only delayed squish for a few minutes. Once the bands are saturated, it just acts like a sieve. Compression socks or sleeves delays squish for about :30 in my experience. I notice first signs of squish after 1:00-1:15 on hot humid days. For a half, I push through the squish. For a full, I change shoes and socks at special needs.
2013-07-19 11:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by DV 1
Tried this two days ago. It only delayed squish for a few minutes. Once the bands are saturated, it just acts like a sieve. Compression socks or sleeves delays squish for about :30 in my experience. I notice first signs of squish after 1:00-1:15 on hot humid days. For a half, I push through the squish. For a full, I change shoes and socks at special needs.

Aha - time estimates. I like it! An extra :20 or :30 would go a long way right now, as it would just about get me through the medium-length runs. Since I'm squishing after around :45 w/ current set-up, adding Balega socks and calf sleeves (brand suggestions??) might just about get me through 10 miles.

... building on this theme, I wonder if there would be a way of wearing something part way down the sweat-drip chain that could be removed and wrung out before the feet get saturated? Towel around the waist? Wrap-around calf sleeves (as opposed to slip-on)?

Edited by colinphillips 2013-07-19 11:53 AM
2013-07-19 11:53 AM

User image

Master
I don't know how to avoid the wet feet, but what I do know is that covering my feet in body glide before long hot runs avoids the blisters I get from wet feet.

Plus what others said about socks.
2013-07-19 12:04 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I have the same thing happen to me. I live in the South, and even when it isn't particularly hot, if the humidity is up, squishing happens within an hour, or so. I haven't had found anything to keep it from happening. I have tried thicker wool socks, thinner wicking socks, still squishing. My only plan for my upcoming IM is to keep a fresh pair of socks in T2 to change into.
2013-07-19 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
, Nova Scotia
I tried any number of brands of socks (Adidas, UA, NB, etc), and always had the same squishy feet. I was telling my tale of woe to a long time friend, who also serves as my running mentor, and he recommended Balega socks. I was sceptical, because I always am, so I bought one pair to try. Now I have three or four pairs, and they are my exclusive summer sock, here in coastal VA. They are light and thin, allowing the sweat to evaporate through the mesh of the shoe before getting squishy, but with enough sock that I don't get blisters.

I wore a pair this morning. Sweat was dripping from the bottom of my shorts like I had just stepped out of a pool, but my feet were dry and comfortable.

They are a bit hard to find; try a local running shop.

2013-07-19 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
move to the desert
2013-07-19 12:45 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
I got nothing. It goes with the territory here in NC this time of year. On trail runs I'll run through the creeks, at least the squish is cooler for a few minutes after that. (sometimes I just lay down in the creek = total squish)
2013-07-19 12:48 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by thebigb

move to the desert

Or back home to the UK. Believe me, I think about that option on every run at this time of year. At least the rain is cooler.
2013-07-19 1:01 PM

, Alabama

Originally posted by thebigb

move to the desert

Or back home to the UK. Believe me, I think about that option on every run at this time of year. At least the rain is cooler.

Wouldn't help you at the minute as we are in the middle of a heat wave! I was cursing the humidity trying to run in Florida on holiday and thought at least it would be easier to train when I got back home to UK - nope never known heat like it for here, scorching!
2013-07-19 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

Originally posted by DV 1

Aha - time estimates. I like it! An extra :20 or :30 would go a long way right now, as it would just about get me through the medium-length runs. Since I'm squishing after around :45 w/ current set-up, adding Balega socks and calf sleeves (brand suggestions??) might just about get me through 10 miles.

• .. building on this theme, I wonder if there would be a way of wearing something part way down the sweat-drip chain that could be removed and wrung out before the feet get saturated? Towel around the waist? Wrap-around calf sleeves (as opposed to slip-on)?

• I use Sugoi compression socks. I suspect any would do. I also wear compression clothing on very hot and humid days. Even slightly baggy running shorts act like a leaky faucet. I find a compression shirt is also better at evaporating away sweat than bare skin.

2013-07-19 7:36 PM

User image

Master
    Fulton, MD
    Same darn thing happens to me, and there is no sock that's going to prevent it. Humid summers in Maryland pretty much suck.
    2013-07-20 2:15 PM

User image

I live in South Carolina and this is unavoidable in the summer. I will run loops and change socks. Also will use sport slick or whatever to lube toes to avoid blisters. Lastly, can wear calf sleeves to soak up some sweat before it reaches socks.
    2013-07-20 4:50 PM
    in reply to: Jhbinsc

User image

Regular
    Run on your hands instead :D.

Really though not much I can help you with there other than making sure you have got proper shoes etc.

For IMCDA I bought swiftwick performance socks $10 on amazon which are spendy and I did get my feet wet right away and thought that I would be having huge blisters by the end of the race but in the end I was fine. I did have the squishy feeling still but at least no blisters.

2013-07-21 10:53 AM
    in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
    NoVA
    OK I run in Balega socks exclusively and still have this same problem and definitely had blisters doing a full IM because of the squishies. I do remember reading that someone on their blog posted about taking an older pair of their current running shoes and drilling holes through the bottoms in prep for Kona to try and avoid this problem while still using their "comfortable" shoe. I've considered it and been thinking about it again recently as the humidity has gone back through the roof!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in heat - how to avoid "squishy shoes"? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Heat's affect on shoes

Started by cjiminez
    Views: 2666 Posts: 3

2012-09-05 6:34 AM Duanerice

Sockless - avoiding blisters on the run

Started by MonkeyClaw
    Views: 2295 Posts: 12

2015-03-24 10:44 AM JohnnyKay

How Many Runs Per Week To Increase Fitness/Avoid Injury

Started by supa-powa
    Views: 4296 Posts: 10

2009-07-29 11:00 PM JorgeM

Sweat running into shoes squishy feet....

Started by jeanneroth
    Views: 890 Posts: 4

2004-08-13 8:23 AM jmc1888

Squishy Shoes

Started by tboepple
    Views: 857 Posts: 4

2004-06-14 10:52 PM tboepple
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : May 2, 2012
    author : alicefoeller
    comments : 3
    A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : February 28, 2012
    author : greggseltzer
    comments : 6
    Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
    date : March 31, 2011
    author : Curt Chesney
    comments : 0
    Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : September 17, 2008
    author : AMSSM
    Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?
    date : September 8, 2008
    author : ValleyCoach.com
    Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : June 17, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
    date : December 11, 2007
    I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?

date : July 3, 2006
    As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.