General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What can I do to get faster Quickly? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-24 8:34 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: What can I do to get faster Quickly?
Goole masters swimming bc and see if any clubs near you have coaches that will do private... maybe try UBC masters

2013-07-24 11:48 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

There are no shortcuts to getting faster. You simply train as much as you can and do that over long periods of time to see improvements.That said, you may have a chance at 2:45 depending on how fast (or slow) you really are right now. I know you posted some estimated times, but frankly...I'd bet you have no idea how to accurately predict your race splits anyway. It could very well be that you're already in 2:50ish shape right now and you only need to shave 5 minutes.

I wish that were true unfortunately I know myself quite well. I train 5 days a week and track Everything I do along with my weight, my pace, etc So I know that if I did the race right now I would be 3:05 - 3:10. However I realized I phrased my original post wrong, that is not what I think I will be able to do on race day that is what I would be able to if the race was today. By race day I know I will be faster and stronger, it is just what to focus on to maximize my efforts.
2013-07-24 11:52 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Originally posted by simpsonbo

Get private swim coaching 40:00 with poor technique will exhaust you beyond belief

That is probably a good idea, but I'm trying to minimize costs as much as possible. I'm willing to put in the time, just not the money

...also my 1860 meter swim with strong current today was tiring, but not too bad, so I think I'm ok.
2013-07-24 11:54 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Originally posted by simpsonbo

Don' t bother with aero bars for the Stanley park race. I did worlds there and a newbie does not need them on that course.

Thanks for that, I was strongly considering getting some, now I won't bother.
2013-07-25 12:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Get some in the off season and get used to them. I would ride the course a few times to get set up since its a lap course and its easy to get to.
2013-07-25 6:23 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I haven't read the entire thread but I will tell you what I have to tell myself all of the time.

Improvement in triathlon is not measured in days and weeks but in months and years. If you are looking to be faster next month, you will probably be disappointed. Consistently training in all three disciplines over time is what makes for a fast(er) triathlete. If you look at the training logs of the fast people on this site, you will see that all of them train every day, often twice a day, in an organized way, with a long term goal in mind.

If I were you, I would train diligently for the next six weeks and do your race as fast as you can. I would use this result as your baseline and then get on a training plan and try to improve over time.

My 2 cents. Worth what you paid for it.....

2013-07-25 12:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by wannabefaster

I haven't read the entire thread but I will tell you what I have to tell myself all of the time.

Improvement in triathlon is not measured in days and weeks but in months and years. If you are looking to be faster next month, you will probably be disappointed. Consistently training in all three disciplines over time is what makes for a fast(er) triathlete. If you look at the training logs of the fast people on this site, you will see that all of them train every day, often twice a day, in an organized way, with a long term goal in mind.

If I were you, I would train diligently for the next six weeks and do your race as fast as you can. I would use this result as your baseline and then get on a training plan and try to improve over time.

My 2 cents. Worth what you paid for it.....

Generally speaking what you are saying is true ...except for beginners. Beginners are able to see the most radical results of type of athlete. Were you able to get faster within the first 6 times you rode a bike? How about within the first 2 times you tried swimming in a wetsuit? How about when you went from no strength training to strength training?

Once you have 5 tri's under your belt improvement is slow and takes a lot of work, but when you are a beginner who barely knows what you are doing it is easy to see significant gains.

To put it another way: I could Easily take a complete beginner 3:10 half marathon runner and get them to 2:45 in 6 weeks (and since there is a lot more to tri racing than just running it should be even easier). Knowledge, technique, drills, proper gear, &strength combine to show drastic results when people are starting from a base of almost nothing.

Edited by Chillin 2013-07-25 12:48 PM
2013-07-25 12:59 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Swim and bike more. A lot more. Your run isn't going to hold you back from your time goals. Unless you get to T2 gassed because you wasted so much effort on the swim & bike.

As others mentioned, you can also probably do some things with your bike position to make sure you are as comfortably aero as possible.

Still, that almost certainly doesn't get you 25min in 6 weeks unless your base time is off (having never done a tri, you really have little idea to base your estimates on) or you have really done very little biking or swimming so far. Beginners do make gains more quickly. But they do it the same way experienced athletes do. By doing the work in the individual sports. Do the work you are able to do and see what happens.
2013-07-25 1:16 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

New user
Athens, GA
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Swim and bike more. A lot more. Your run isn't going to hold you back from your time goals. Unless you get to T2 gassed because you wasted so much effort on the swim & bike.

As others mentioned, you can also probably do some things with your bike position to make sure you are as comfortably aero as possible.

Still, that almost certainly doesn't get you 25min in 6 weeks unless your base time is off (having never done a tri, you really have little idea to base your estimates on) or you have really done very little biking or swimming so far. Beginners do make gains more quickly. But they do it the same way experienced athletes do. By doing the work in the individual sports. Do the work you are able to do and see what happens.

It all comes down to the bold. This discussion will be much more productive after you've done your first race. My first Olympic, I went over everything with my coach and figured that if I had a day when everything went right, stars were in alignment, etc. I might be able to break 3:00. I went 2:53. Then my next Oly, I just couldn't see where I had any room from the first result for significant improvement, and then I went 2:46. And that was with a basis for trying to predict. But at least your first result will help inform this process for you.
2013-07-25 1:21 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

1. I have done any oly tri before. I've never competed in one, but I've done one just for fun. I'm confident my estimate is accurate.

2. "Swim and bike more. A lot more." Yes definitely. That I will be doing that for sure. ...now off for a ride.
2013-07-25 2:12 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I haven't read through the whole thread, but you can go much faster in the park on a closed course. There is lots of traffic there, it's 30km so the traffic is going slow. There's also lots of parking, so people are pulling into spots and you have to stop for lots of pedestrians. I think if you did it in 1:28 before you can go less than that in the race.

For an idea, one loop will take me anywhere from 16 minutes to 25 minutes depending on traffic.

2013-07-25 2:13 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Here's the strava segment. http://app.strava.com/segments/615212 I know most of the top 15 women quite well. They are all fast, but the fastest woman doesn't have the fastest time. The woman with the fastest time did it in the same tri with closed roads.
2013-07-25 8:21 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Originally posted by jeng

I haven't read through the whole thread, but you can go much faster in the park on a closed course. There is lots of traffic there, it's 30km so the traffic is going slow. There's also lots of parking, so people are pulling into spots and you have to stop for lots of pedestrians. I think if you did it in 1:28 before you can go less than that in the race.

For an idea, one loop will take me anywhere from 16 minutes to 25 minutes depending on traffic.

16 minutes? Nice you are fast.

When I did it today traffic was a big factor, unfortunately when I did it that time I linked it wasn't so ya that was effectively my closed course time.
2013-07-25 8:33 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Chillin

1. I have done any oly tri before. I've never competed in one, but I've done one just for fun. I'm confident my estimate is accurate.

2. "Swim and bike more. A lot more." Yes definitely. That I will be doing that for sure. ...now off for a ride.

not just more or a lot more... harder. much harder. i honestly think my best bike workout of the week where i get most of my gains is less than an hour long.

Edited by Clempson 2013-07-25 8:33 PM
2013-07-25 8:42 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Originally posted by Clempson

not just more or a lot more... harder. much harder. i honestly think my best bike workout of the week where i get most of my gains is less than an hour long.

Thanks, I needed that reminder. I tend to go for duration over intensity, but you are definitely right I need to work on power not endurance.
2013-07-25 8:53 PM

User image

So I just finished a 76.6km ride (followed by a super short 2km brick run) and a few observations:
-My bike sucks. Going downhill at 50+km/h, if I stop pedaling I drop down to ~28km/h in seconds.
-My shoes suck. My toes were numb most of my ride.
-Tourists on rented bikes are a hazard to themselves and everyone around them.

And a couple questions:
1. My lower back started hurting after about 60km. Is this because of my posture? Bike setup? Or I just need to strengthen those muscles?
2. After about 40km my man parts got numb. Is this my seat? My bike setup? Just something I have to get used to? (I was wearing tri-shorts)

2013-07-25 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

So I just finished a 76.6km ride (followed by a super short 2km brick run) and a few observations:
-My bike sucks. Going downhill at 50+km/h, if I stop pedaling I drop down to ~28km/h in seconds.

And a couple questions:
1. My lower back started hurting after about 60km. Is this because of my posture? Bike setup? Or I just need to strengthen those muscles?
2. After about 40km my man parts got numb. Is this my seat? My bike setup? Just something I have to get used to? (I was wearing tri-shorts)

everything about your post is screaming incorrect form/fit. numb toes/lower back pain/crotch numbness.

you could fix all of those by correcting your cycling form, and probably increase you power output too. do some google searches on correct cycling form; i had sore back/shoulders/numb feet until i figured out how i was supposed to be riding my bike. biggest thing is to stay loose above the waist as much as possible, drop your shoulders, and open your hips.

a lot of people will tell you to get a bike fit if you have these symptoms, but even with the right fit if you don't know how to ride you aren't going to see any improvements.
2013-07-25 9:16 PM

User image

And a couple questions:

everything about your post is screaming incorrect form/fit. numb toes/lower back pain/crotch numbness.

you could fix all of those by correcting your cycling form, and probably increase you power output too. do some google searches on correct cycling form; i had sore back/shoulders/numb feet until i figured out how i was supposed to be riding my bike. biggest thing is to stay loose above the waist as much as possible, drop your shoulders, and open your hips.

a lot of people will tell you to get a bike fit if you have these symptoms, but even with the right fit if you don't know how to ride you aren't going to see any improvements.

Thanks! Will do.

I assumed my numb toes was based on my feet. I get the same thing while running if my shoes aren't wide in the toe box. But I certainly won't discount that it could be part of my form issue.
2013-07-25 9:22 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
try moving your pedal cleats back as far as possible and see if you still have numb toes. cleats too far forward are the usual culprit.
2013-07-25 9:55 PM

User image

try moving your pedal cleats back as far as possible and see if you still have numb toes. cleats too far forward are the usual culprit.

Just did that. Seems to feel good here in my living room, I'll see how it feels next time I ride.

Thanks again,
2013-07-26 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Probably already has been mentioned but you could lose weight. 6 weeks get strict and cut 12-15lbs. You'll be markedly faster

2013-07-26 4:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by thebigb

Probably already has been mentioned but you could lose weight. 6 weeks get strict and cut 12-15lbs. You'll be markedly faster

I'm definitely open to that but I'm not sure it's a good idea. With the amount of cardio I do I'd be worried about losing muscle mass instead of fat. Also I think if it came down to it I'd be better off building muscle than losing fat. No? (Obviously both is possible, but harder)

For some reference:
I am male, 5'8", 155.8lbs
Also I weigh myself every day, the least I've weighed this year is 153.6 and the most is 160.4.

Thoughts?

EDIT: In the pic at the bottom of this race report I'm the guy on the bottom: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by Chillin 2013-07-26 4:35 PM
2013-07-26 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I'm definitely open to that but I'm not sure it's a good idea. With the amount of cardio I do I'd be worried about losing muscle mass instead of fat. Also I think if it came down to it I'd be better off building muscle than losing fat. No? (Obviously both is possible, but harder)

For some reference:
Also I weigh myself every day, the least I've weighed this year is 153.6 and the most is 160.4.

Thoughts?

Yep, you can peel 10-15 lbs off that frame. I'd shoot for 1.5-2lbs a week, you'll be ok.
2013-07-26 4:45 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

For some reference:

Thoughts?

Yep, you can peel 10-15 lbs off that frame. I'd shoot for 1.5-2lbs a week, you'll be ok.

OK, I'll give that a try. Any quick tips on how to do that while not hurting my training and primarily focusing on gaining muscle? I semi recently lost 55lbs but I did that by not eating any carbs for a few months, but quite obviously that would be a very bad plan to do right now.
2013-07-26 4:50 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Here's what you can do - get on a good training plan that stresses your weaknesses and is able to maintain your strengths. The strengths aren't what you need to work on. But swimming 40 minutes will really hurt - physically, mentally and time wise. You need to ride to the point that you can maximize your run - I would look at running around 47-48 minutes if I were you. Backing into the final time:
40' swim, 3' for transitions and a 47' run = 90 minutes. So you have 1:15 to ride 40k. That's 20 mph. That's a tough challenge, but like I said, if you work on the weaknesses (swim and bike) you may be able to do it. Good luck. If you are up for it, I'm over in the Member's Performance Area coaching lots of BT Athletes to Personal Records weekly. If you join, I'll coach you personally and we'll see if we can make it happen for you. Either way, good luck!

Edited by mikericci 2013-07-26 4:50 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What can I do to get faster Quickly? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Getting wetsuit off quickly

Started by alath
Views: 968 Posts: 7

2012-06-01 7:32 AM Sous

Getting out of the wetsuit quickly?

Started by dredwards
Views: 1076 Posts: 8

2006-05-28 8:53 PM madkat

The Limits On Getting Faster - super duper frustrated

Started by Spokes
Views: 1503 Posts: 19

2006-05-05 10:36 AM oneword

Somebody is getting faster!

Started by chile7473
Views: 1137 Posts: 8

2006-03-27 10:21 AM pbarbato

Favorite I'm getting faster moment

Started by sue7013
Views: 1043 Posts: 5

2004-10-17 1:20 PM jkbostic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2012
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is there an 8-12 week plan to improve technique and strength on the bike, with some running in it as well?

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : November 16, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?

date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.