General Discussion Race Reports! » Nantucket Hero Triathlon (Olympic) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nantucket Hero Triathlon (Olympic) - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nantucket, Massachusetts
United States
Hero Triathlon Series / Nantucket Triathlon
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 18m 42s
Overall Rank = 11/172
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up silly early, as usual, and ate a couple pieces of seedy bread toast with nut butter. Kim was up, too, as she was doing a long run while I was s/b-ing, so she could get the kids to cheer during the run (went right by the cottage) and to the finish. Coffee, other morning rituals, etc. Then off to the race in the rain to set up.

This one was my A race for the first half of the season (maybe the year?), so there were a few nerves about going too hard vs. leaving anything on the table. Pacing is still the biggest unknown, as this was only my second Oly.
Event warmup:

Not much. Walk to race, walk to beach for swim start, ~250m swim with some accelerations. Bike was already racked, and I didn't leave time for a run. About normal, though - I only really want a run warmup for a sprint.

This was the inaugural running of the Oly (the sprint the day before is well established), but it was very well done, nonetheless.
Swim
  • 19m 24s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

At least there were no seals here (they did chase me out of the water the next day). :) Very shallow, with many people walking. I chose to swim as long as my feet didn't hit the ground, and swam past many walkers at the start and end of the swim. Even if it was the same speed, pretty sure my legs were more fresh coming out of the water! A high elbow catch is a good thing on this course...

Swam steady, although I did kick for about 50m with ~300m to go, as I looked back and saw a dude drafting for a couple hundred and wanted to drop him. Otherwise, an uneventful swim.
What would you do differently?:

I was only intermittently on feet this time (as many would intermittently dolphin dive hitting a bar or such). There were only a couple folk ahead of me from my wave, and I didn't do a great job of finding and sticking with them as we went through the back of a couple other waves. I might also push a bit harder - still trying to nail the pacing for this distance (only my second Oly).
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

This included the run up the beach. No fuss, no muss (was top 10 or so).

Not much, other than practice getting my shoe flipped around and my foot into it without losing any speed (but only lost a couple pedal strokes, so not a big deal).
Bike
  • 1h 07m 50s
  • 28 miles
  • 25.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed hard and tried to keep HR a few beats below threshold (and did), although I found that I was pushing the legs hard to keep the heart where I wanted it. Worked out OK, as I had a decent run (wasn't sure about how that would go!). The two loop bit was not my fave, as you have a lot of different speeds mixing it up.I 'm happy with the way the bike is coming along, although there is always someone faster!

Oh, and really good crowds! There were a lot of islanders in the race, and I think the families came out to support them and others. Lots of COWBELLS!!! Love me some cowbells on a race course (of any kind). :)

I would like to get one of those aero bottle setups with a straw on my bars, as I think I would drink more easily (and perhaps a bit more - hydration was good, but maaaaybe a couple drinks shy?). Even if I don't drink more that way, it would certainly be easier...
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Good. Probably could have sprinted out of T2 and been even better, but I view the transition as only what happens at the rack proper. Once my shoes are on, it's the start of the run, and I don't care so much about rankings in T2 (although I think I did about as well here as T1).

Went well. Might still try yankz instead of body glide around the opening of my shoes (pre-tied and pulled on is my current practice).

Have crowds in transition with COWBELLS?
Run
  • 47m 36s
  • 6.8 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Happy with this one, although it felt slower than it was. My 10k time was a bit less than a minute off my open 10k, so I was happy with that, but feel there's significant room to improve. vThe extra 0.6 miles after the 10k does play with the mind a bit, though... ;)

As there was no one from my AG (or any AG) visible in front or back of me, I think I could have pushed a leeeetle harder. Still, happy with this, and I was able to cross the line with a smile on my face rather than a rictus grin (more typical). My family appreciated that, although they do like to rib me about my "race finish face!"

Despite training as much for an upcoming HIM as this Oly (this was my A race), I think I could use more peripheral endurance (as in, my legs got weary more than tired). I could pick it up at the end, and had some pop left, but just couldn't hold that form through the middle miles (used a shorter stride and high cadence until the last mile where I opened up a bit more).

Not sure if that means more speed training in longer intervals or more loooong slow distance, though. Will be fun to figure out!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed two bottles of water and hugged my family - all of whom were waiting for me at the line!!! Started to pour right then, so we hustled to the tent and hung out. Normally, I'd stay at the line and cheer folks in, but the kids and Kim were freezing so we boogied for cover. We did stay to cheer everyone during the awards, though!

So, my warmdown was a cookie, some water and hanging with the family. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run focus from last winter is definitely helping, but I feel like I could use another run intensive block (good thing, as Kim signed us up for a marathon in October!). That and more hours on the bike.

Tough to get the time for all that, though!

I was very happy to place where I did. While I got the top spot on the podium, the official results show me as second. I think that's because there was one person my AG who was faster but finished as an Overall winner and so was out of the AG podium (?). Either way, I am very happy with my performance and the results (and that there is definitely room to improve - makes it even more funner!).

Event comments:

Beautiful venue, great volunteers and racers - everyone was hanging around the island and having fun! Would have been better with a bigger crowd, but I think that will change as word gets out (hope so, and let it start here!). Not much they can do about the two loop course, and I think they did a really good job organizing around the limitations that the island puts on them.

Would definitely recommend!

Last updated: 2013-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:24 | 1500 meters | 01m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 10/172
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU T3
Course: SHALLOW. Many said it was more of "swalk." About half the course was wadable. Out and back, slight chop from one side (bilateral breathing skills are a good thing). Also not sure the distance was spot on. Felt like they had us wade out further than intended with the low tide, so maybe was a few meters short? Official is 1:11/100 and it didn't feel that fast...
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:50 | 28 miles | 25.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 12/172
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loop, out and back to Madaket. Good roads, with new paint markings for any rough spots (great job by organizers). No water, which was fine by me. Rollers, more than I remembered (but that's why we drove the course the day prior). Nice course.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:36 | 06.8 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 18/172
Course: Two loops of the sprint course (like the bike). A couple hills, but mostly flat (and so you would think fast - but maybe it was me and not the course that was slow!). With effectively three turn arounds, you should have been able to get a better sense of where others were, but there was no calf marking of AGs, so it was just runrunrunrun - which is fine, too. Good crowd support here, too. COWBELLS!!!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-25 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: Nantucket Hero Triathlon (Olympic)

2013-07-25 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4813414

User image

Pro
NJ
Subject: RE: Nantucket Hero Triathlon (Olympic)

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt, congrats on the AG win! That is a terrific time for that course. I did the first Nantucket tri (don't think it was a full Oly though) a few years ago and remember the shallow swim, crowded bike and great local spectators. Well done! You are having a really successful season this year. Look forward to seeing how this all comes together for you at Timberman.

2013-07-25 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

After having just done a race with a shallow swim, I enjoyed reading about your swim....it's really too funny to see people wading through the water as you swim past them.  It's definitely faster to swim

You're getting awfully speedy -- congrats on grabbing that top podium spot!

2013-07-25 12:45 PM

User image

Wow! Unreal performance, esp. on the bike, congratulations and good luck with your HIM.

Cheers, Tim
2013-07-25 6:02 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

I had to laugh about your description of the swim. At my last race, we also had a shallow swim, and the RD said in no uncertain terms, we should not walk. It's so much harder to walk through water than swim through it (even for me). I'm surprised some people found that a valid option. Oh, well.

Oh, yeah, and fantastic race! You are so darn speedy. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

2013-07-25 9:16 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Payson, AZ
Awesome job dude.  Speedy

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nantucket Hero Triathlon (Olympic) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nantucket Triathlon

Started by
Views: 607 Posts: 1

2011-07-24 9:43 AM

Nantucket Triathlon

Started by monkeytri
Views: 1212 Posts: 1

2010-07-27 7:21 PM monkeytri

Nantucket Triathlon

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2258 Posts: 8

2010-07-12 8:00 AM Frankie G

Heroes to Hero Memorial Scholarsip 5K Run

Started by joestacy
Views: 1010 Posts: 1

2007-10-13 6:54 PM joestacy

4th Annual Heroes to Hero 5K

Started by Fargo296
Views: 1128 Posts: 1

2005-10-09 1:08 PM Fargo296
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.