General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I really need a wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-27 8:17 AM

User image

The 951
Subject: Do I really need a wetsuit?
I am barely able to swim since I started learning last February and am still working on consistency and flow.
So far my tri plans are nothing but pool sprints with 150 and 200 m swims.

I don't think I'll ever graduate to Olys and up because of certain medical conditions I have that limit my running.

There is a local tri club that does lake OWS and super sprints a couple of times a year but are the short formats worth the $300+ investment for an Xterra or a DeSoto?

2013-07-27 9:15 AM
in reply to: BikesOfALesserGod

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Do I really need a wetsuit?
Lots of companies rent wetsuits for ~$50 per race.

In my mind, it depends on the water. For a short course, in warm water, in a small lake, in California, a wetsuit is probably not a need. One thing you can do is skim the race reports from your races and see how they describe the swim.

For me, I have two olys - Rev 3 Wisconsin Dells, in Lake Delton, and the Chicago Triathlon, in Lake Michigan..

Lake Delton is bath-water warm right now, and wasn't pro-wetsuit-legal last year. For that race alone, I would probably have not bought a wetsuit. It's also a time-trial start, which helps.

Chicago, on the other hand, in Lake Michigan . . . 3-4' swells, plus the possibility of the water being pretty cold, plus the scrum of the mass start - those reasons contributed to my wetsuit purchase. We also have Ohio Beach, which is a 1/2 mile long swimming lane in shallow water, and almost always full of triathletes. I've been out there a few times, and that departure from the boredom of pool swimming is great. Open water is a very different animal.

I was able to buy a nice Blue Seventy Fusion for less than $300, and the xterra on the banner is around $200.

Another thing to consider is that wetsuits are different; they make you float differently, the constrict a bit, and take some adjustment. My wife, a strong swimmer, had a miserable time the first time she went out in one; the later times, no problems. There is an adjustment phase, and Rule #1 is not to do anything different on race day.

You may be able to rent one for a day from a shop, or borrow one from the guys in the tri club, and then go play in the water. I'm a cruddy swimmer, and I love mine - it takes a lot of stress off, with the buoyancy.
2013-07-28 9:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
I would say it is not worth it if you are doing just 150-200 meter swims. If you are sensitive to cold water then you might want to invest into one. Maybe even a sleeveless one that De Soto or other companies offer.

Another option is just getting the Wetsuit pants from De Soto, it will keep you warmer and will help your buoyancy.
2013-07-29 2:22 PM
in reply to: Maks Tri

User image

If you have to stop and tread water or resort to breast stroke frequently, the wetsuit will make those motions more difficult.
2013-07-29 2:38 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
Yes, get a wetsuit.

If helps you float, and go faster period.

Go to wetsuit warehouse and buy the neosport Sleeveless sprint edition model.

I sold off a blue seventy I had after getting this, and I happen to think it is much better.

This wetsuit is $99, and light as could be. You can find coupon codes too.

Also it easy to get on and off.

Problem solved.

I had this same question back when I was starting out. Is a wetsuit all hype? No.

Get one.

2013-07-29 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
Also, with the short format (200 meter) swims, you will spend more time taking the wetsuit off then swimming . You also dont need it in the pool.

2013-07-30 9:34 PM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Originally posted by aalbury

If you have to stop and tread water or resort to breast stroke frequently, the wetsuit will make those motions more difficult.

I disagree with that statement. With a wetsuit you float. You won't even have to tread water. And many people do breaststroke with wetsuits on.
2013-07-30 11:50 PM
in reply to: peteweb55403

User image

The 951
Found out that DeSoto is nearby where I work. I can rent a wetsuit and go to the local tri club OWS practice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I really need a wetsuit? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need at Tri bike, but are 2009 prices really going up 20%

Started by bm1981
Views: 3205 Posts: 13

2008-09-15 2:02 AM hrt4me

Do I really need Cadence on my computer?

Started by Hagrid_62
Views: 6065 Posts: 15

2008-07-13 3:07 PM Hagrid_62

Really dumb wetsuit question

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 560 Posts: 7

2007-05-22 8:55 PM wurkit_gurl

Does a newbie really need a Tri Top ? Pages: 1 2

Started by raytong
Views: 2004 Posts: 27

2006-04-14 8:53 PM marmadaddy

Wetsuits- is there really any difference

Started by blaise
Views: 877 Posts: 4

2005-06-02 9:43 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"