General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-08-22 6:45 AM
in reply to: JMoney

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid 2014
Hey JMoney, welcome back. To everyone else in this thread, you guys have a legit shot at a 200 page thread if you can get Jmoney fired up for the next 11 months lol.

How was your year off? If I remember correctly you had a young family and didnt want to dedicate 2 consecutive years to training for fulls. Did you manage to keep your training up? Ill be taking your place as a volunteer this year and hope to go back in 2015.

For those of you going up to train in lake placid there are a lot of cheaper options than staying in town. I stayed in willmington the last couple years, its right on the bike course and half the price of lake placid. Ive camped at the KOA and willmington notch state park. Koa is nice, clean bathrooms, wi-fi, can get electricity even if sleeping in a tent, nice pool etc and about $45/night. They also have cabins for rent etc. The state park is about 20/night with no electricity etc...this year I stayed at "the huntington hotel" on rt86. I stayed in one of the cabins, it was kind of a 1950's dump, tv didnt work, no ac...but was good enough to sleep and shower in. Think it was $85/night during IM weekend prob cheaper the rest of year. I saw the north pole campground also had cabins for rent for about $80 a night...pics on website look nice but ive never been there. There are also free, "primitive camp sites" on rt 86 right at the parking area for the mountain bike trails. I went up to ride the course one day, pitched my tent and came home the next day. Its right next to the Ausable river so theres a place to cool off and clean up before you crash for the night...worked for me. Anyways, these are all right on the bike course and cheap options if any of you are saving your pennies for that new dream bike : )

2013-08-22 7:21 AM
in reply to: TheCuse

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by TheCuse

Hey JMoney, welcome back. To everyone else in this thread, you guys have a legit shot at a 200 page thread if you can get Jmoney fired up for the next 11 months lol.

How was your year off? If I remember correctly you had a young family and didnt want to dedicate 2 consecutive years to training for fulls. Did you manage to keep your training up? Ill be taking your place as a volunteer this year and hope to go back in 2015.

For those of you going up to train in lake placid there are a lot of cheaper options than staying in town. I stayed in willmington the last couple years, its right on the bike course and half the price of lake placid. Ive camped at the KOA and willmington notch state park. Koa is nice, clean bathrooms, wi-fi, can get electricity even if sleeping in a tent, nice pool etc and about $45/night. They also have cabins for rent etc. The state park is about 20/night with no electricity etc...this year I stayed at "the huntington hotel" on rt86. I stayed in one of the cabins, it was kind of a 1950's dump, tv didnt work, no ac...but was good enough to sleep and shower in. Think it was $85/night during IM weekend prob cheaper the rest of year. I saw the north pole campground also had cabins for rent for about $80 a night...pics on website look nice but ive never been there. There are also free, "primitive camp sites" on rt 86 right at the parking area for the mountain bike trails. I went up to ride the course one day, pitched my tent and came home the next day. Its right next to the Ausable river so theres a place to cool off and clean up before you crash for the night...worked for me. Anyways, these are all right on the bike course and cheap options if any of you are saving your pennies for that new dream bike : )

Cuse good to see you again. after the 2012 thread I vowed that getting 200 pages of posts would be one of my goals for the 2014 thread This past season was pretty much an off season I didn't really do much racing so I'm pretty much starting from scratch again. Like you mentioned I think we are going to try camping this year. In 2012 we ended up staying in a cottage in Saranac. It was nice but a little expensive, it was my first so I went all out. I camped for Volunteering and it worked out great, though I think we are going to go with a cabin just in case of weather. We were looking to do the KOA, how was the drive into town on race morning. I know they start closing roads pretty early just wasn't sure how crazy things got going in that direction. Come from Saranac direction there was nothing (both when racing and also when volunteering). I'm exited already, maybe I should go try pack attempt #1 (I want to make sure I bring everything this time)
2013-08-22 7:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
woohoo we are on page 2 and its only August
2013-08-22 8:07 AM

User image

Originally posted by JMoney

Cuse good to see you again. after the 2012 thread I vowed that getting 200 pages of posts would be one of my goals for the 2014 thread This past season was pretty much an off season I didn't really do much racing so I'm pretty much starting from scratch again. Like you mentioned I think we are going to try camping this year. In 2012 we ended up staying in a cottage in Saranac. It was nice but a little expensive, it was my first so I went all out. I camped for Volunteering and it worked out great, though I think we are going to go with a cabin just in case of weather. We were looking to do the KOA, how was the drive into town on race morning. I know they start closing roads pretty early just wasn't sure how crazy things got going in that direction. Come from Saranac direction there was nothing (both when racing and also when volunteering). I'm exited already, maybe I should go try pack attempt #1 (I want to make sure I bring everything this time)

I camped at Wilmington Notch this year to volunteer. The drive in race morning was fine at 5:30ish, not sure about earlier when athletes would be heading in but I would guess the same. There were definitely cars on the road but no closures and no backups.

As for Wilmington Notch State Park, it was an okay no thrills place to camp. Rest rooms were mostly clean and my only complaint would be they only had one guys shower stall for 53 sites and it definitely could have used a cleaning....Normally they have two but one was out of order. Sites are also somewhat small, but it is definitely a cheap way to stay near LP.
2013-08-22 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Dude, don't even try...never gonna match the EPIC thread of 2012...nope...not eva'

(but I'm routing for you, none-the-less!)
2013-08-22 8:30 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by dtoce

Dude, don't even try...never gonna match the EPIC thread of 2012...nope...not eva'

(but I'm routing for you, none-the-less!)

You are right it was an EPIC Thread, I think I'm going to post over there to see who's still watching it. Come on go for the Foundation slot and join the fun

2013-08-23 5:27 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York

Yeah the morning ride in was a breeze. Transition opened at 4:30 instead of 5:00 due to the "rolling" and earlier start. The problem from willmington is for your family to get in and out later in the day is a nightmare. My wife just hung by the KOA pool all day and could walk out to rt86 to say hi on the bike...shes not into spectating and I dont really blame her so it worked for us. Great area to stay in for training weekends though.

2012 was a great thread, but I think you guys can match it...gotta be a couple whacko's out there lurking, just waiting to jump in with their speedos on
2013-08-23 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
, New York
I'm in! This will be my second attempt at Lake Placid...seems like a lot of people here from the 2012 thread too. In 2012 I made it until 3 weeks before the race date, got diagnosed with a tibial stress fracture and ended up only being able to do the swim and bike portion. After getting the confidence boost of finishing IM-Mont Tremblant this year I have to head back to Lake Placid and finish it this time for sure. Nice to see some familiar and new faces signed up!
2013-08-24 5:05 AM
in reply to: elrasc06

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by elrasc06

I'm in! This will be my second attempt at Lake Placid...seems like a lot of people here from the 2012 thread too. In 2012 I made it until 3 weeks before the race date, got diagnosed with a tibial stress fracture and ended up only being able to do the swim and bike portion. After getting the confidence boost of finishing IM-Mont Tremblant this year I have to head back to Lake Placid and finish it this time for sure. Nice to see some familiar and new faces signed up!

I remember that...was a huge accomplishment to gut it out and do as much as you did, and congrats on Mont Tremblant. Definitely on the "must do" list.
2013-09-24 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
And just like that I jumped an age group... my first day of being in the 40-44 age group for LP. How is training going? Things have been very quiet in here.
2013-09-25 3:04 PM

User image

Roch-cha-cha

And just like that I jumped an age group... my first day of being in the 40-44 age group for LP. How is training going? Things have been very quiet in here.

Happy (belated) birthday!

Not doing any "formal" training, per se. I kind of slacked off after my HIM in July, so now I'm just getting in the habit of doing *something* every day, and working around my crazy schedule (I'm a nurse that works 12 hours shifts). Formal training starts in January.

There is a group of folks I run with who all signed up together. We had our first "training planning" meeting over beers and nachos the other night. Like the pizza commercial about how great ideas are created over pizza...same goes for IM and nachos. Just sayin'

2013-09-26 6:57 AM
in reply to: kristaae

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Yeah happy birthday jmoney...its just a race to retirement from here on out lol

Kristaae....january is a good time to start. Good way to start the year, build through the spring into exhaustion in june and july lol

Someone posted this video a couple years ago...hoped it might get some of you guys fired up into making this a fun thread as you go through your journey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B03dFMG8nR...
2013-10-04 4:59 AM
in reply to: MForger18

User image

Expert
It seems like January is approaching fast. Trying to decide on a plan while training for the NYC marathon. Had a training plan by Gale Bernhrdt recommended. I like it, but I'm wondering if the BT coaching option for $35/month would help. Anyone used it?
2013-10-09 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Thinking of racing IMLP in 2015. Anyone have info on whether you need to volunteer to get a spot, or if getting in online is a viable option? It's a long trip from AZ and I would rather only make it once!

Thanks for any info!

2013-10-09 12:16 PM
in reply to: travesty

User image

Originally posted by travesty

Thinking of racing IMLP in 2015. Anyone have info on whether you need to volunteer to get a spot, or if getting in online is a viable option? It's a long trip from AZ and I would rather only make it once!

Thanks for any info!

I signed up for the Race ready package which included Syracuse 70.3 as well as IMLP the Friday before registration opened. But if I recall general registration didn't sell out for about 4 hours. Foundation slots are still available for 2014 right now. So worse case you have to pay double, which is probably cheaper than 2 trips.
2013-10-16 6:48 PM
in reply to: travesty

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by travesty

Thanks for any info!

You didn't need to volunteer this year to sign up for 2014. It was open for a few hours online. I would say if you are there when it opens up online you will get a spot. You might want to take the day off in any case (I know I would be refreshing the page every minute.

2013-10-16 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
It's still pretty quiet in here, must be everybody is training
2013-10-17 12:11 PM

User image

That must be it.. even with the shorter darker days.

So I am trying to decide if my 53/39 and 11-28 will get me through without totally killing me or if I should switch to a compact; for those that have done IMLP before:
* What size chainrings and cassette did you use
* What was your FTP (if you know)
* If you're doing it this year, do you plan to change gearing? If so, to what
2013-10-17 12:53 PM
in reply to: r3dey3

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by r3dey3

So I am trying to decide if my 53/39 and 11-28 will get me through without totally killing me or if I should switch to a compact; for those that have done IMLP before:

I have the same as you, and it is what I used at LP in 2012. I actually had a 11/26 in the back before the race and changed it to the 11/28. I didn't seem to have any problems with it and felt good coming off the bike. I'll be sticking with it for 2014. I don't consider myself a strong biker so I think you would be fine with the 11/28. knowing what I know now from doing it. I will try to do more hill work, I don't think the hills were that bad they were just longer then what I trained on.
2013-10-22 4:10 PM

In. Provided everything goes well at Bone Island this coming January, LP will be #6. 2nd time around having completed LP in 08 in all that rain. It was a great day.
2013-10-23 5:22 AM
in reply to: #4817263

User image

Elite
R3dey3/Kenny

I.do not train.with power so I do not know what my FTP is but I am a top 20% rider in sprints and olys and mop in Him and IM for reference because if you are a stud on the bike what I tell you may not pertain to you.

I had the gearing question before IMLp. I went in using the standard crank that you have and I went to a 11-28...... I got cheap and thought I would be ok, well I was searching for 1-2 more gears all day going up some of the hills therefore I would recommend a compact crank. My bike split was bad due to a mechanical failure ( long story) but life would have been a lot easier if I just got that compact up.front.

With that said I have talked.to people who have done it with your configuration but unless you are super strong get the compact

2013-11-01 7:36 AM
in reply to: r3dey3

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by r3dey3

When you come to syracuse in june, is there any chance you could extend your stay a few days and shoot up to placid for a trial run? Might be a good time to ride the course.
2013-11-01 9:38 AM

User image

When you come to syracuse in june, is there any chance you could extend your stay a few days and shoot up to placid for a trial run? Might be a good time to ride the course.

Yah, I was planning on either trying to do that; or head up towards the end of May during the build for Syracuse to ride the loop once. Was just curious what others plans were regarding gearing.
2013-11-05 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4882678

User image

Expert
Carmel
I rode a standard crank and a 12x27 cassette in 2007. I had a long day but it did not have to do with the bike gearing. I plan on using an 11x28 this year but really only because that combo is more readily available then it was in 07.

The hills are long but not overly hard. If you get your miles in, I think a standard is fine. I have a compact on a road bike for hillier road races but I will not be using it for Placid. Despite all the hills, I think you will find that there is quite a bit of flats and downhills also, and you will def max out on a compact. ESP with the "new" bike course where the out and back was changed and is no longer on Hassleton. It basically added 10 miles of relatively flat riding on each lap (20 miles total), Hassleton was a bitch for 6 miles both ways with rollers. Nice road but for me personally, I always felt like I was going up in both directions there.

I did not have a power meter in 07 so I don't have any power numbers.

Standard crank for me....
2013-11-06 9:38 PM

User image

New user

I am in and about to start following a plan. I did Louisville IM in 2012. I plan on doing Syracuse 70.3 as well (did it the first year they had it).and will probably head up to ride the LP course at least once.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid 2014 Rss Feed  

of 7