General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-11-07 3:12 AM
in reply to: MForger18

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid 2014
HELP!!!

I have a Trek Speed Concept with a SRAM Force 53/39 Crankset and a SRAM PG-1070 11-26, 10 Speed Cassette.

Is this pretty standard. I am a MOP cyclist at the HIM level. I live in the flatlands of Michigan, but I am doing IMLP in 2014.

Do I need to consider a compact cassette/crankset?

I am clueless!!

2013-11-07 7:01 AM
in reply to: leftrunner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by leftrunner

HELP!!!

I have a Trek Speed Concept with a SRAM Force 53/39 Crankset and a SRAM PG-1070 11-26, 10 Speed Cassette.

Is this pretty standard. I am a MOP cyclist at the HIM level. I live in the flatlands of Michigan, but I am doing IMLP in 2014.

I am clueless!!

I would say it's standard for Trek, When I bought my Trek it came with the same setup. I was pretty nervous because some of the hiller rides I did I picked some of the hilliest I could find and was running out of gears. I changed the back to a 11-28 before the race and I was ok with it. I would say I'm MOP as well. If you have hills around where you train do you feel you run out of gears? If you read the 2011 IMLP group you will see there are like 5 pages dedicated to gearing. A lot of people suggest the compact since it gives you all the easy gears you could need for climbing. They also suggest the cut off time for getting a compact is around 6 hours for an IM if you can do it under 6 hours then you probably don't need a compact anything over 6 hours, get the compact. So I would suggest at a minimum move the back to 11-28 (I think I paid $60), and if you have the money and want one less worry then go with the compact (I think it will be around $200ish). I'll be staying with the 50/39 and the 11-28, I'll just be training more on those hillier routes I did for 2012.
2013-11-07 7:36 AM
in reply to: JMoney

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Finally on page 3 I didn't think we would ever get there!!!
2013-11-07 7:48 AM

User image

New user

This was the same question I had and went into my local bike shop yesterday. They suggested the same thing above. I used a 12-28 cassette for IM Louisville and did ok with that. I live in Delaware. My driveway is probably the hilliest part of my ride. Flat as a pancake. Personally I think I am going to stay with the 12-28 cassette and then get the compact crank.
2013-11-08 6:30 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by JMoney

HELP!!!

I am clueless!!

I would say it's standard for Trek, When I bought my Trek it came with the same setup. I was pretty nervous because some of the hiller rides I did I picked some of the hilliest I could find and was running out of gears. I changed the back to a 11-28 before the race and I was ok with it. I would say I'm MOP as well. If you have hills around where you train do you feel you run out of gears? If you read the 2011 IMLP group you will see there are like 5 pages dedicated to gearing. A lot of people suggest the compact since it gives you all the easy gears you could need for climbing. They also suggest the cut off time for getting a compact is around 6 hours for an IM if you can do it under 6 hours then you probably don't need a compact anything over 6 hours, get the compact. So I would suggest at a minimum move the back to 11-28 (I think I paid $60), and if you have the money and want one less worry then go with the compact (I think it will be around $200ish). I'll be staying with the 50/39 and the 11-28, I'll just be training more on those hillier routes I did for 2012.

Thanks a heap!

So to be clear (I am bike ignorant), the 11-28 replaces the 11-26 on the rear cassette, and the compact refers to the crank. If I am using a 53/39 now, what are the corresponding numbers on the compact? Are 3 rings better than 2?
2013-11-08 7:01 AM

User image

Thanks a heap!

So to be clear (I am bike ignorant), the 11-28 replaces the 11-26 on the rear cassette, and the compact refers to the crank. If I am using a 53/39 now, what are the corresponding numbers on the compact? Are 3 rings better than 2?

Yes, the 11-28 replaces the 11-26. (~Sub $100) Depending on your rear derailleur you might be able to go 12-30; really depends on the largest gear your derailleur can handle.

With 10 gears a triple (3 ring) isn't really necessary. The typical compact is 50/34. You can find 52/36 which is a "mid" size (though Shimano only has them for their 11 speed groups) - you get a few more gears on the low end, and don't loose as much on the high end. (at least a couple of hundred $)

2013-11-08 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY

HELP!!!

I am clueless!!

Thanks a heap!

I'm not much better when it comes to bike components. I have a compact on my road bike (It came with it) and it is a 50/34. You are correct the compact crank set would replace the front that you have currently (53/39), the 11-28 would replace the back cassette currently (11-26). The 3 ring setup they call the granny gear or a triple. I believe it works the same as the compact but I believe it gives you a couple more easier gears. From what I have been reading most people don't do the triple (granny gear) much anymore and go to the compact. I haven't even tried to price out a triple.
2013-11-08 7:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY

HELP!!!

I am clueless!!

Thanks a heap!

I'm not much better when it comes to bike components. I have a compact on my road bike (It came with it) and it is a 50/34. You are correct the compact crank set would replace the front that you have currently (53/39), the 11-28 would replace the back cassette currently (11-26). The 3 ring setup they call the granny gear or a triple. I believe it works the same as the compact but I believe it gives you a couple more easier gears. From what I have been reading most people don't do the triple (granny gear) much anymore and go to the compact. I haven't even tried to price out a triple.

Here is a site that talks about each gearing. though I'm not good enough to look down while riding and be able to tell what gear I'm in, or what my top speed could be. I only know if I gear one way it gets easier to pedal and if I go the other way it gets harder to pedal.

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/cycling/2011/05/compact-cranks-...
2013-11-08 8:24 AM

User image

Expert

HELP!!!

I am clueless!!

Thanks a heap!

Here is a site that talks about each gearing. though I'm not good enough to look down while riding and be able to tell what gear I'm in, or what my top speed could be. I only know if I gear one way it gets easier to pedal and if I go the other way it gets harder to pedal.

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/cycling/2011/05/compact-cranks-...

Any thoughts on a 50/34 combined with a 12-27?
2013-11-08 8:40 AM
in reply to: MForger18

User image

Veteran
Maine
Don't know how I missed this thread until today!

I'm in for 2014. It will be my first IM. Volunteered in the finish chute this year.
2013-11-10 6:25 PM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Expert
Cdkayak
Welcome. How was the finish? I was at IM NZ this year, and it was electric. Where are you from in Maine? I lived in Portland from 98-01.

2013-11-10 6:27 PM

User image

Expert

HELP!!!

I am clueless!!

Thanks a heap!

Well I can't be getting anything dubbed the Granny Gear. I'll go with the 50/34 and 11-28.
2013-11-10 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY

HELP!!!

I am clueless!!

Thanks a heap!

Well I can't be getting anything dubbed the Granny Gear. I'll go with the 50/34 and 11-28.

I think that will give you everything you need.
2013-11-10 9:17 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Finished LP this year and will be volunteering next year to claim a spot for '15. I'm looking forward to following your journeys and hopefully will see some of you up there!
2013-11-11 5:48 AM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

Finished LP this year and will be volunteering next year to claim a spot for '15. I'm looking forward to following your journeys and hopefully will see some of you up there!

Yeah me too. I volunteered in '11, did it in '12 and '13...and want to go back up and volunteer again this year. Will be nice to be a part of it without having to worry about the 1000 things that might possibly go wrong that day...and not pack and repack 30x in the last 2 weeks lol,

I worked at a run aid station in '11 and it was a fun but I think Id rather be closer to the start/finish this time. I see cdkayak worked the finishers chute this year...anybody else ever worked a cool job?

I saw one of the guys from the 2012 thread working at the swim start last year. Heres a video his wife and kids made of his '12 race...Im not a religious person but I found it really inspirational and have probably watched it a 100 times. I think it really shows the balance you need in your life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z42YUjgpW3c
2013-11-11 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Maine

Cdkayak
Welcome. How was the finish? I was at IM NZ this year, and it was electric. Where are you from in Maine? I lived in Portland from 98-01.

The finish chute was great. My wife and I were assigned as catchers from 6-12, so it got pretty busy for a while. We got to see several members from my club finish and I was catcher for another friends coach. All around a fun experience. Several other club members were working bike check-in on Sat. & thoroughly enjoyed drooling over all the bikes.

I watched some of the IMNZ online, it looked like a great race.

I'm just outside of Portland, moved to the area in '95.

Edited by cdkayak 2013-11-11 1:25 PM

2013-11-13 11:36 PM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Expert
Originally posted by cdkayak

Cdkayak

The finish chute was great. My wife and I were assigned as catchers from 6-12, so it got pretty busy for a while. We got to see several members from my club finish and I was catcher for another friends coach. All around a fun experience. Several other club members were working bike check-in on Sat. & thoroughly enjoyed drooling over all the bikes.

I watched some of the IMNZ online, it looked like a great race.

I'm just outside of Portland, moved to the area in '95.

IMNZ was great. Bevan Docherty ran his first IM and set a course record. He is from Taupo, where they run the race. He spoke at my daughter's school the week of the race.

Then I worked in the ER the night of the race and I saw all of the carnage come in after midnight. There were a few pretty sick people, but mostly just the effects of dehydration and electrolyte abnormalities.

I lived in Cape Elizabeth while my wife and I were residents at Maine Med.
2013-11-20 11:41 PM

User image

Expert
OK folks.

We are under 250 days to go!

Anyone here?
2013-11-20 11:41 PM

User image

Expert
OK folks.

Anyone here?
2013-11-20 11:42 PM

User image

Expert
OK folks.

Anyone here?
2013-11-21 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
I've been just trying to get some consistent training in (nothing planned just trying to do something everyday). I'll be doing the Ironfit plan again this time around. What is everybody else doing for training plans? I have to look but I think this years plan starts on the Dec 30th. That's when things will really start to ramp up.

2013-11-21 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I'll be following the EN 20 week plan starting in March. Right now I'm in week4 of a 6 week bike program on trainerrroad and working to rebuild my running. Starting in Dec. I'm looking to begin a maint. plan I put together using the BT tools.
2013-11-22 5:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Starting the Gale Bernhardt 26 week plan on 1/27.

Right now I am swimming 2-3k yds. 2-3x/week, doing Jorge's winter cycling plan 3x/week and running 3x/week. Building my ride up to 3 hrs and my run up to 2 by January.

Going to Haiti to volunteer the week before my plan starts. Hope to clear my head working like crazy in Haiti, then return home ready to work for 6 months.

Edited by leftrunner 2013-11-22 5:21 AM
2013-11-25 6:58 AM

User image

Expert
OK. I'm a week into an illness and its me off! I managed to hack my way through a 5 k this weekend and ride 40' easy on my trainer yesterday, but tryi to swim while coughing with my head full of snot was too much. It's in my lungs now, so I guess conventional wisdom says rest. I was just getting into a 3x3 routine. Hopefully a little tofurky and pumpkin pie will top off my healing and I can reset my motor is week.
2013-11-25 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY

OK. I'm a week into an illness and its me off! I managed to hack my way through a 5 k this weekend and ride 40' easy on my trainer yesterday, but tryi to swim while coughing with my head full of snot was too much. It's in my lungs now, so I guess conventional wisdom says rest. I was just getting into a 3x3 routine. Hopefully a little tofurky and pumpkin pie will top off my healing and I can reset my motor is week.

Rest!!!, listen to your body. You have a long journey ahead of you. It will be important to listen to your body since you are going to be straining it ways your body is not used too both physically and mentally. The main goal for an any race is to get to the starting line healthy. So rest up and when you body is ready then ease yourself back into it.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid 2014 Rss Feed  

of 7