IS
10C / 50F
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 25s
Overall Rank = 5/15
Age Group = F16-39
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

The race is held in a tiny little town on the Snaefellsness peninsular and it is about a 2 hours drive from Reykjavik meaning we had to leave early as I wanted/needed to get a good long warmup in before. Left home at 6:30am and I slept for around an hour on the way which was nice for me but of course not so much for T.
The weather on the city was rain so we were hoping for better weather there and it was actually sunny when we got there which was nice but there was also a strong wind with gusts up to 40mph. No fun!
Got to transition and set everything up and then I went biking as a warmup and biked the bike course out (out and back course). It was head and head/crosswind out and tail/crosswind back. Took it quite easy in the warmup and saw numbers up to 250 Watts and I was hardly going 12mph. I knew then that it would be tough especially as my legs were still very very tired from the TT on Thursday night!
Swim
  • 07m 36s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

The day before the TRI they put up a swim list of who is in which lane and they wanted to put 8 people per lane which is way too much for a 25m lane! We complained and they changed it to two heats so we ended up being only 5 and me the slowest. The shoulder was not good at all so I was not sure how the swim would go but I wanted to try hard to draft the 4th girl. Swim started and the tempo was fast right from the beginning which I don't like as I usually start rather conservative and then pick up speed. I drafted and tried to hold the tempo but lost them before the first 100m and then was pretty much alone after that. The first girl lapped me after 250m which was not a good feeling but I knew it would be coming. Pretty uneventful swim and I did not want to push too much due to the shoulder.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Like last year I had decided to exchange my pedals and bike in running shoes which was really weird. So transition was pretty uneventful. Running shoes on, helmet on, numberband on and off I was.
Bike
  • 20m 49s
  • 10 kms
  • 28.82 km/hr
Comments:

The bike was tough even though it was only 10km. It was head and crosswind out to the turnaround and the wind was so strong that it was tough to get the speed up! But I knew what to expect from the warmup and at least it was headwind out and not on the way back! Overtook one of the 5 girls that were out of the water before me right in the start and was biking hard to catch the next one but somehow I did not manage to get closer at all which really irritated me as I know I am a better biker! But the legs were still so tired from the TT and they just had not much in them. So I just biked as good as I could and once the turnaround came it was actually quite fun flying back in the tailwind.
Transition 2
  • 00m 23s
Comments:

Very short and very fast as I did not change shoes. So just racked the bike, helmet off and then I was gone. Overtook one girl in T2 but I knew she would probably catch up to me within the first km on the run.
Run
  • 13m 59s
  • 2.7 kms
  • 05m 11s  min/km
Comments:

The run went a lot better than last year and I just ran by feel and gave it all but with tired legs its not always easy. The girl passed me after about 500m and I knew I would get 5th OA (3rd AG) even without killing myself so I just kept running. Not the best run but not the worst either.
Post race
Warm down:

All in all this race was an OK race and I finished in 43:25 which is about 3 minutes slower than last year but it was almost all on the bike and conditions last year were perfect and little wind. I am also tired from training and from the TT race Thursday night so I did not expect much. Got 5th OA as expected and 3rd my AG.

Last updated: 2013-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:36 | 400 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 6/15
Performance:
Suit:
Course: 25m pool swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: