General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Montrealer going from couch to IronMan in 20 months Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-08 2:41 PM

User image

Subject: Montrealer going from couch to IronMan in 20 months
Hi all,

A little about me first :
- I'm 33 and 172cm (5'8")
- I used to run 1h 3x/wk and swim quite a bit as an adolescent. Never competitive though. That was 15 years ago.
- I have had a sedentary lifestyle for the last 15 years.
- I went from 63kgs (139lbs) to about 90kgs (198lbs) in the last 5 years, after 3 attempts at quitting smoking. The last one was successful over 2 years ago. I am now down to 84kgs (185lbs)
- I first decided to start training to get in shape and be healthier, but this didn't work for me as they are not goals concrete enough. So I decided I'll fix a crazy goal : Finishing an IronMan in March 2015, for my 35th birthday.

I started training 5 weeks ago:
- First three weeks : I was just getting in shape, mostly elliptical and a little weight lifting.
- Last week : I started a 0 to 10k program, running Tue-Thu-Sat. I plan to do the 10k run in Ottawa on Oct 5th.
- This week : I started a modified 0 to 1650 yards program, swimming Mon-Wed-Fri. I plan to finish my first 1500m on Sept 30th.
- Next week : I'll start a light weight lifting program, 6 days a week.

I have yet to prepare a training plan for Oct and after, hopefully culminating with a full triathlon for my 34th birthday, on March 2014. I might ask the guy who finished 33 IronMans in 33 days for a little help, as he doesn't live very far from me.

Thanks for taking the time to read, I am certain I will have a lot of questions for you guys!

Simo

Edited by simobk 2013-08-08 2:48 PM

2013-08-08 3:06 PM
in reply to: simobk

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Montrealer who wants to go from couch to IronMan in 20 months

Welcome.  You've set quite a goal for yourself.  Challenging, but doable if you put in the work.

I suggest finding a training plan to help guide the way.  You certainly want to be consistent in your training, but you also don't want to do too much too soon and risk injury or burn out.

Just a couple of thoughts:

Focusing on actual swim, bike and run training is going to be of more benefit than spending a lot of time in the gym.  Triathlon is an endurance event, as opposed to a strength event.  Specificity is a word you'll see used a lot; in other words, you'll get the best results from actually swimming, biking and running.

You've made progress on your weight, but following a good diet and dropping a few more pounds will help a lot both in terms of performance and avoiding injury.

Lastly, there are lots of great folks here on BT ready to offer advice and encouragement.

Again, welcome and good luck.

Mark

2013-08-08 10:55 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Subject: RE: Montrealer who wants to go from couch to IronMan in 20 months
Thank you @RedCorvette for your answer!

I will indeed find a more focused training plan after I run the 10k. Before that, I am mostly just getting in shape, working on my cardio and reviving some muscles that I forgot existed! :D

About your thoughts :
1. I do plan to mostly do specific training, and that is what I am doing right now : Running and Swimming. Next week, I will add about 30mn weight lifting a day, but very light, I don't wanna bulk up. I will warmup on a stationery bike. In October, I will start actual bike training.
2. I am doing good progress on my weight, and I am planning to keep it this way. The difference just in a month is amazing, and people actually notice without me even hinting at it. I'm planning to go around 70kgs (154lbs), but I am trying not to focus on the weight, I try to see it as a side benefit, not an objective. It's just better for me mentally.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and the advice!

Simo
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Montrealer going from couch to IronMan in 20 months Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chunky couch potato to triathlete in 5 months....

Started by Lodgeee
Views: 961 Posts: 5

2013-04-09 8:16 PM chris00nj

COUCH TO IRONMAN FINISHER IN SIX MONTHS Pages: 1 2

Started by IronAaron
Views: 3526 Posts: 27

2013-05-03 3:13 PM Going4Iron

couch --> full ironman anyone?

Started by dazleung2k
Views: 3825 Posts: 7

2008-05-25 10:20 PM VinemanCalifornia

From Couch to Ironman Hawai

Started by destynova
Views: 1670 Posts: 20

2006-12-31 8:47 AM Little Tom

Couch to Olympic in 11 months?

Started by Homer J
Views: 897 Posts: 8

2006-06-23 3:28 PM Ridgelake
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.
date : November 20, 2007
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.

date : August 29, 2004
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.