General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Honestly, who rides with music? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-08-19 8:01 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Honestly, who rides with music?
Only on trails closed to motorized traffic. Never on open roads

2013-08-19 8:20 AM
in reply to: spearit

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Originally posted by spearit Pandora Sex Wax at high volume through my JayBird BlueBudX for my 5mile run then 22miles on the bike I have used a Third Eye helmet mounted mirror for over 30yrs of bike riding
Regardless of right or wrong, I'd love to see your audiogram!
2013-08-19 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I caught up to a guy on the MUP this weekend, shouted "On your left". Nothing. Shouted again. Nothing. Once more. He looked surprised when he finally noticed me. Yep, he had earbuds in. I try not to judge, it's not my place, to each their own. But if you have no idea what is going on around you, then you are making it unsafe for you and others. 

I might try one ear if I tried it at all.

2013-08-19 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by thebigb Are you worries about not hearing the car that runs you over? Seriously though, what safety risk? If you're riding solo then I don't see any issue.

You don't see an issue with not hearing the car that could possibly run you over.  Really???  What if there was a split second you could take some corrective measure to save your life because you heard something.  You'd rather die just to listen to some crappy music.

On a stupid scale of 1-10, riding your bike on public roads and listening to music with earbuds is somewhere around a 9.5.

It's incredibly f'n stupid.

This!  I'm amazed at how distracted people are when they're riding with music, on closed trails as well as open roads.

I don't get it.

2013-08-19 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4832395

User image

New user
i do. only one earbud in my right ear, with the wire under my shirt so it's not bouncing around or otherwise distracting. i keep the volume low and 85%+ of my riding is on mixed-use paths closed to vehicles. when i'm on roads it's mostly at times when traffic is light or non-existant.
2013-08-19 8:43 AM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Saint Paul, MN
I do. I keep the volume low enough that I can still hear traffic around me. I use cheap earbuds. It is not like I am wearing noise cancelling ear muffs or anything.

2013-08-19 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I do, one earbud in as I leave town, once I am on country roads where I ride there is basically zero traffic. Group rides never, but definitely when I do threshold or VO2 max stuff. I would say 50% I have my earbuds on for outdoor rides.
2013-08-19 9:37 AM

User image

Guilty - occassionally on MUP's, only right side earbud. I keep the volume pretty low so it's just background noise and that's to break up time on long rides.

Re: volume - when I run I keep the volume down and it amazes me passing someone whose music is so loud I can hear it over mine.
2013-08-19 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
W/O earbuds you hear wind noise. As long as you keep the volume at a reasonable level I don't think the tunes is much louder than the wind noise.

Regardless, for people who think it is a safety hazard what do you think you are not going to hear? If you hear a car coming up behind you do you drive your bike into the ditch? You should always ride as far to the right anyway.

I only listen to music when I'm riding solo....I think it is rude to listen to music when riding with others.
2013-08-19 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4832728

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Distracted and/or oblivious cyclists abound, just read all the passing etiquette threads. I don't think music moves that needle much.

Wind noise at 18 mph drowns out my music so I mostly turn it off on flats or in aero. Its fantastic for the many climbs especially hill repeats. I can easily hear an "on your left" even at 22 or 25.
2013-08-19 9:48 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I do. 

/shrug

2013-08-19 9:52 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Pro
If I had a dime for every person wearing headphones that I've seen almost be hit, running and riding, on the paths around my house I'd be rich.  I'm not wearing them.
2013-08-19 9:53 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

NC
Originally posted by Rogillio

You should always ride as far to the right anyway.

Bad advice. This isn't always the safest manner of riding.

2013-08-19 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by thebigb Are you worries about not hearing the car that runs you over? Seriously though, what safety risk? If you're riding solo then I don't see any issue.

You don't see an issue with not hearing the car that could possibly run you over.  Really???  What if there was a split second you could take some corrective measure to save your life because you heard something.  You'd rather die just to listen to some crappy music.

On a stupid scale of 1-10, riding your bike on public roads and listening to music with earbuds is somewhere around a 9.5.

Do you wear a high-vis yellow jersey when you bike? Do you have a taillight on your bike? Do you have a headlight on your bike? Do you have a mirror on your bike? Do you have reflectors on your wheels? Do you avioid riding in the rain? Do you bike on the road only during the low traffic times?

There are a lot of things we can do to decrease the risk of acciden and it is up to each of us to assess the risk mitigation value of various things and then decide what level of risk we are willing to live with. The fact is, riding a bike on a road with 5,000 lb automobiles is inherently dangerous. I got t-boned by a Cadillac and no amount of safety precautions I could take would have helped. I got hit by a careless driver who ran a stop sign at the last minutes and plowed right into me.

Be careful out there!
2013-08-19 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Wow - anger issues?

As others have said, you can still hear "road noise" with the buds in if you don't crank the music up to max...And honestly who does that?  Sure there are times where someone is oblivious to "on your left" because they're jamming but that same scenario plays out often where people aren't listening to music and are still clueless to repeated "on your left" callouts..

I also think for every person you can produce that says:  "if it weren't for my unfettered hearing I wouldn't have been able to evade that runaway train about to hit me" there are thousands who weren't wearing ear buds and yet didn't hear things in time to do anything about it..

Do you ride into the ditch every time you hear a loud car behind you? 

2013-08-19 9:59 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Goosedog

Care to elaborate?

2013-08-19 10:00 AM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by dewybuck

This!  I'm amazed at how distracted people are when they're riding with music, on closed trails as well as open roads.

I don't get it.

I would really like know what split second scenario anyone thinks they are going to be able to avoid on a bike with a car approaching you from behind? You won't. The guy getting ready to run you over isn't going to come up from behind honking his horn or shouting at you and probably isn't even going to touch his brakes. Sorry, hearing isn't going to help you in any situation like that. Now, if you feel the need to hear to be more aware of other riders around you or cross road traffic then I will not argue with that. I would never listen to music when riding anything but solo, I pick my head up with cross streets and if I'm riding and you are wanting to overtake then it's your responsibility to move around me safely. Notice I'm not on a MUP (I avoid them like the plague) and I hold my line.

So again I ask, what split second scenario is hearing really going to help you?
2013-08-19 10:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rogillio You should always ride as far to the right anyway.
Care to elaborate?

In my neck of the woods, riding the white line is all but an invitation to buzz me (plus country roads rarely have shoulders so it's just not safe). I've found that if I swing out to about where your car's right wheel sits, I'm more visible to drivers and/or they move over more often. 

Edited by lisac957 2013-08-19 10:05 AM
2013-08-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

NC

Care to elaborate?

See the graphic at this link for a few of the reasons:

http://iamtraffic.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/widthsx2_short_...

Of course, always check your state's laws.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-08-19 10:07 AM
2013-08-19 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I never listen to music on the bike. 

It's my personal preference, not just for the safety aspects, but also because it helps me feel me more tuned into my HR, breathing, intensity level etc.  Actually, I gave up listening to music while running for the same reasons.

Not to mention that it's illegal here in FL.

I should also mention that I've had a neighbor killed and another friend who had life-altering injures in bike accidents.  Both were talented, accomplished cyclists.  Listening to music wasn't a factor in either of their accidents, but it does drive home the inherent risks involved riding on the open roads. 

Mark

2013-08-19 10:12 AM

I'm not arguing for or against, but I'm curious how the car that is about to run you over sounds different from the car that is about to go harmlessly past you? Maybe if they blew the horn? In that case I would hear it headphones or not, and I'm not sure what I could do in any case at that point besides run off into the ditch.

2013-08-19 10:20 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Chicago, IL
Many of the cyclists on the Lakefront Bike Path do, and it drives me INSANE. Far too crowded to not be aware of your surroundings.
When I'm on a bike, passing you and yelling "on your left", while you carelessly meander into my path forcing me into oncoming traffic...that's not cool.

2013-08-19 10:40 AM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

User image

Sorry to hijack and be so ignorant , but what's a "MUP"?
2013-08-19 10:43 AM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by dbrook1 Sorry to hijack and be so ignorant , but what's a "MUP"?

Multi use path. Usually closed to motorized traffic but open to walkers, joggers, cyclists, dogs, kids, rollerblades, skateboards, etc.

2013-08-19 10:45 AM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by dbrook1 Sorry to hijack and be so ignorant , but what's a "MUP"?

"Multi-Use Path", generally a paved path for biking and walking/running.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Honestly, who rides with music? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

To music or not to music, that is the question. Pages: 1 2

Started by ZenMaster
Views: 2305 Posts: 41

2012-05-01 8:29 PM jaelinfunk

Riding with Music

Started by stchase34
Views: 683 Posts: 3

2009-04-02 8:41 PM JustinK

Training with music vs. no music.

Started by LcTarallo
Views: 882 Posts: 15

2006-07-26 7:32 AM sappho96

Music and training

Started by soupaman
Views: 1268 Posts: 8

2004-02-16 11:00 PM speedlee

Music to Run By

Started by Nancytris
Views: 1151 Posts: 11

2004-01-27 10:12 AM chrisd9
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.
date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.

date : January 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
I read an article that this type of pain comes from straining the neck, especially from riding a road bike. What can you tell me about this type of injury?