General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Honestly, who rides with music? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-08-19 10:47 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Honestly, who rides with music?
Originally posted by Goosedog

Originally posted by Rogillio

You should always ride as far to the right anyway.

Bad advice. This isn't always the safest manner of riding.

Care to elaborate?

See the graphic at this link for a few of the reasons:

http://iamtraffic.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/widthsx2_short_...

Of course, always check your state's laws.

I remain unconvinced. I feel most comfortable riding far to the right.

2013-08-19 10:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rogillio You should always ride as far to the right anyway.
Care to elaborate?
See the graphic at this link for a few of the reasons: http://iamtraffic.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/widthsx2_short_... Of course, always check your state's laws.

I agree this is right in places with the "Bikes may use full lane" or a road with sharrows, which is the suggested use according to the graphic.   Otherwise, most states explicitly state a cyclist rides "as far right as practicable". That doesn't mean two inches from the edge of the road, either.  A cyclist needs to be flexible based on road type, traffic-aware, use signals, etc.

And incidentally, that's why I don't use music or other distractions when biking on the road.  I have, however, used a single earbud in my right ear on a closed path (once). I liked it, it's something new for me and I listened to my book on tape that I would normally be listening to in the car.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-08-19 10:53 AM
2013-08-19 10:59 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by dbrook1 Sorry to hijack and be so ignorant , but what's a "MUP"?

Multi use path. Usually closed to motorized traffic but open to walkers, joggers, cyclists, dogs, kids, rollerblades, skateboards, etc.

[?QUOTE]Originally posted by MOlsen

"Multi-Use Path", generally a paved path for biking and walking/running.

I thank you both.

2013-08-19 11:00 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

NC
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

Otherwise, most states explicitly state a cyclist rides "as far right as practicable". That doesn't mean two inches from the edge of the road, either.  A cyclist needs to be flexible based on road type, traffic-aware, use signals, etc.

Good point. This is why a suggestion to always ride as far right as possible isn't always the safest manner of riding.

2013-08-19 11:00 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

Originally posted by Rogillio You should always ride as far to the right anyway.
Care to elaborate?
See the graphic at this link for a few of the reasons: http://iamtraffic.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/widthsx2_short_... Of course, always check your state's laws.

I agree this is right in places with the "Bikes may use full lane" or a road with sharrows, which is the suggested use according to the graphic.   Otherwise, most states explicitly state a cyclist rides "as far right as practicable". That doesn't mean two inches from the edge of the road, either.  A cyclist needs to be flexible based on road type, traffic-aware, use signals, etc.

And incidentally, that's why I don't use music or other distractions when biking on the road.  I have, however, used a single earbud in my right ear on a closed path (once). I liked it, it's something new for me and I listened to my book on tape that I would normally be listening to in the car.

A couple of years ago a few miles from my house a cyclist was riding in the middle of the lane.....a car came around the curve and killed them. If they had been of the side of the road it's likely they would not have been hit at all.
2013-08-19 11:03 AM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I never listen to music while riding or running outside. I prefer to listen to my surroundings and not fuss with extra gear.

2013-08-19 11:11 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA

A couple of years ago a few miles from my house a cyclist was riding in the middle of the lane.....a car came around the curve and killed them. If they had been of the side of the road it's likely they would not have been hit at all.

As my grandfather said "you don't want "I HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY" on your headstone".
2013-08-19 11:27 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Originally posted by TriMike
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by thebigb Are you worries about not hearing the car that runs you over? Seriously though, what safety risk? If you're riding solo then I don't see any issue.

You don't see an issue with not hearing the car that could possibly run you over.  Really???  What if there was a split second you could take some corrective measure to save your life because you heard something.  You'd rather die just to listen to some crappy music.

On a stupid scale of 1-10, riding your bike on public roads and listening to music with earbuds is somewhere around a 9.5.

It's incredibly f'n stupid.

Wow - anger issues?

Yes, it angers me when people die due to their own stupidity.

All you people advocating the use are simply delusional and making excuses for doing something that you know deep down is just plain dumb and tactically unsound.  Situational awareness, people.

2013-08-19 11:30 AM
in reply to: blbriley

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by blbriley

As my grandfather said "you don't want "I HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY" on your headstone".

Well said!

I remember when I was in college one of my instructors talked about the crosswalks around campus. He said people would blindly walk out into traffic in front of cars like there was some invisible force field protecting them in the crosswalk.

Honestly I cannot think of a single situation where riding more in the road is safter than riding near the side of the road. If a driver is not paying attention or the sun is in their eyes they have a good chance of still missing me if I am near the side of the road.

So this is just like the safety thing I posted earlier - lights, reflectors, bright clothes, mirror - everyone needs to decide for themself.
2013-08-19 11:34 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Honestly I cannot think of a single situation where riding more in the road is safter than riding near the side of the road.

Clearly this has never happened to you. Do you think this is the safest way to ride?

2013-08-19 11:39 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by thebigb Are you worries about not hearing the car that runs you over? Seriously though, what safety risk? If you're riding solo then I don't see any issue.

You don't see an issue with not hearing the car that could possibly run you over.  Really???  What if there was a split second you could take some corrective measure to save your life because you heard something.  You'd rather die just to listen to some crappy music.

On a stupid scale of 1-10, riding your bike on public roads and listening to music with earbuds is somewhere around a 9.5.

Wow - anger issues?

All you people advocating the use are simply delusional and making excuses for doing something that you know deep down is just plain dumb and tactically unsound.  Situational awareness, people.

how is the sound of a car "that could possibly run you over" different from the sound of one that is passing six feet to the left of you? What exactly are you supposed to hear and what action would you then take?

2013-08-19 11:39 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Honestly I cannot think of a single situation where riding more in the road is safter than riding near the side of the road.

Clearly this has never happened to you. Do you think this is the safest way to ride?

Curious about the "Wrong". Is picture depicting that the driver of the blue car is in the wrong? 

2013-08-19 11:41 AM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by pmtaylor621 Many of the cyclists on the Lakefront Bike Path do, and it drives me INSANE. Far too crowded to not be aware of your surroundings. When I'm on a bike, passing you and yelling "on your left", while you carelessly meander into my path forcing me into oncoming traffic...that's not cool.

Drives me to the brink of insanity too, though some might argue that I'm already way over the brink.

If you've got your music up so high that you can't hear me yell ON YOUR LEFT - that's a safety issue for both of us. 

2013-08-19 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

With 10k+ mikes bike riding on the road, I have experience it all. As you see this situation approaching above you have 2 options....you can get as far to the right as possible and hope they do not try to thread the needles or you can use your bike and body to 'block' the car approaching from behind you by riding further out in the road. Depending on speeds, I will admit I have done both. But as a rule I am more concerned about the driver who is not paying attention and runs me over from behind. Riding on the right greatly reduces this risk.

Most of the roads I bike on do not have much traffic so this situation is extremely rare....and most of the drivers around here are very courteous to bikers and would never attempt to do what is depicted in the graphic.
2013-08-19 11:47 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by mrbbrad

Curious about the "Wrong". Is picture depicting that the driver of the blue car is in the wrong? 

It's indicating the cyclist should be riding more toward the middle of the lane to force the driver into the passing lane.
Here is the "Right" graphic:

2013-08-19 11:49 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rogillio and most of the drivers around here are very courteous to bikers and would never attempt to do what is depicted in the graphic.

Perhaps this is regional then. It happens, without fail, every ride where I hug the white line. Every ride.

2013-08-19 11:50 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Wow - anger issues?

There's delusion all right but it's coming from those who seem to think they will somehow avoid a catastrophe because they aren't listening to music...

Have you ever attempted riding with ear buds?  I'm not advocating you do it, rather trying to understand if you have a clue what you're spewing...

2013-08-19 11:52 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

....and most of the drivers around here are very courteous to bikers and would never attempt to do what is depicted in the graphic.

i would LOVE to live somewhere like that.  except i would never want to live in alabama!

i have the opposite issue you do - if i ride to the edge, cars don't move over one inch, forcing me off the road more than once.  if i ride a foot or two inside the line, they may be irritated but they pass me without forcing me into a ditch.

2013-08-19 12:10 PM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I do it on all of my outdoor solo rides - right ear only. If I meet up with some people while I'm out there, I'll pause it. Never on the trainer though - that's what the TV is for.
2013-08-19 12:26 PM

User image

NC
Originally posted by the bear

how is the sound of a car "that could possibly run you over" different from the sound of one that is passing six feet to the left of you? What exactly are you supposed to hear and what action would you then take?

I don't ride with earbuds and don't care if others do safely. To answer your question, when I am riding on a narrow two lane road, I will tend to take more of the lane if a car is behind me and there is oncoming traffic. In that same situation without oncoming traffic, I tend to ride more to the right. I'm not saying that the presence of ear buds makes that any more difficult, that's just how I ride differently when I know there is a car behind me.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-08-19 12:27 PM
2013-08-19 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

It's indicating the cyclist should be riding more toward the middle of the lane to force the driver into the passing lane.
Here is the "Right" graphic:

I realize they aren't your graphics, but that is apples to oranges. The "wrong" has a car in each lane, the "right" does not. Drivers will react differently in each situation.

2013-08-19 12:36 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I realize they aren't your graphics, but that is apples to oranges. The "wrong" has a car in each lane, the "right" does not. Drivers will react differently in each situation.

True. I guess it is implied that if another car is in the passing lane that the driver should wait until it's safe to move into that lane - like they would if the cyclist was a slower moving car.

2013-08-19 12:37 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Wow - anger issues?

There's delusion all right but it's coming from those who seem to think they will somehow avoid a catastrophe because they aren't listening to music...

Have you ever attempted riding with ear buds?  I'm not advocating you do it, rather trying to understand if you have a clue what you're spewing...

No one thinks they can avoid catastrophe by not wearing ear buds. The assertion is that wearing them is extremely unsafe. I happen to agree. And I have ridden with them. Well, not ear buds exactly because ear buds weren't around the last time I rode with a "personal listening device". 

2013-08-19 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Wow - anger issues?

No one thinks they can avoid catastrophe by not wearing ear buds. The assertion is that wearing them is extremely unsafe. I happen to agree. And I have ridden with them. Well, not ear buds exactly because ear buds weren't around the last time I rode with a "personal listening device". 

Are you sure it was the walkman or your down-tube shifters that made riding unsafe??? 

I won't try to convince anyone to wear earbuds but I think those who think it's more dangerous and/or contributes to an otherwise avoidable accident are mistaken...

Edited by TriMike 2013-08-19 12:47 PM
2013-08-19 12:49 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Wow - anger issues?

Are you sure it was the walkman or your down-tube shifters that made riding unsafe??? 

I won't try to convince anyone to wear earbuds but I think those who think it's more dangerous and/or contributes to an otherwise avoidable accident are mistaken...

It was a single speed before they were cool

We'll just have to disagree on the safety question.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Honestly, who rides with music? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

To music or not to music, that is the question. Pages: 1 2

Started by ZenMaster
Views: 2301 Posts: 41

2012-05-01 8:29 PM jaelinfunk

Riding with Music

Started by stchase34
Views: 683 Posts: 3

2009-04-02 8:41 PM JustinK

Training with music vs. no music.

Started by LcTarallo
Views: 882 Posts: 15

2006-07-26 7:32 AM sappho96

Music and training

Started by soupaman
Views: 1266 Posts: 8

2004-02-16 11:00 PM speedlee

Music to Run By

Started by Nancytris
Views: 1148 Posts: 11

2004-01-27 10:12 AM chrisd9
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.
date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.

date : January 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
I read an article that this type of pain comes from straining the neck, especially from riding a road bike. What can you tell me about this type of injury?