General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road shoes/pedals vs mtn bike shoes/pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-22 11:12 AM

User image

Seneca, South Carolina
Subject: Road shoes/pedals vs mtn bike shoes/pedals
I've been using road shoes and pedals for about 6 months now, and I'm not loving it. I find them harder to clip in, harder to walk in and sometimes when I stop and put a foot down it feels like they are going to slide like ice skates. Not much fun running them through transition either.

Thinking about switching back to mtn bike shoes and spd pedals.

Thoughts?

2013-08-22 11:17 AM
in reply to: NCmtnborn76

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Road shoes/pedals vs mtn bike shoes/pedals
the only issue i could see is that some road pedal cleats don't fit mountain bike shoes. so you might have to swap pedals/cleats too.
2013-08-22 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri
I hear you. I went from SPD to Look and found the same issues as you have.

But I also noticed that the road shoes with Look cleats gave me a better platform when grinding.

As for running through transition, ya they suck. Seeing as I cant do a flying mount. I wear the shoes to the bike out. ( unless it is a huge transition area like Chicago, then I'll run barefoot to the bike out. step to the side, and put the shoes on there) But on my way back in. I leave them on the bike and run barefoot into T2.

Also, if I am doing a ride that looks like I may have to dismount and walk up part of a hill. I'll put the SPD peddles back on the bike and wear the MTB shoes.

Hope that helps

2013-08-22 1:17 PM
in reply to: halfmarathondon

User image

Extreme Veteran
I used my mountain bike shoes on SPD road bike pedals last week in a triathlon and had no trouble.
2013-08-22 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Don't think there's any major con to using MTB pedals and cleats for road use. I do agree running in MTB shoes is much easier esp if the cleat is recessed into the shoe.

I've used both with my road bike and works fine. I recently did a 70 mile ride on my roadie with MTB cleats/pedals and didn't notice the difference.

Road Tri shoes are easier to get on and provide more ventilation. Also more aero and less weight. Again, may not matter much.

And perhaps getting "hot spots" is less of a problem with road cleats/shoes, but may not be significantly different esp for shorter races.
2013-08-22 2:51 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I have "Tri-shoes" with Look Keos and also a variety of Mountain shoes with mountain SPDS cleats.  The main reason I keep the "Tri-shoes" is they slip on easily, I don't need to wear socks, and they have a single closure.  GREAT in a race.  For that reason, I put up with the awkward walking, etc.  I don't find the Keos to be too too bad for walking, although I can slip if I'm on the wrong surface.   So, I wear them because  I prefer to stick my wet foot in this style of shoe.

My "fun" bike (an old roadie)l, which I ride places I don't trust the carbon bike and also commuting, is equipped for SPD mountain shoes, as is my mountain bike. I have sandals and shoes and wear them for everyone but serious riding.

In the past I used to race with my mountain shoes with yankz laces.  Since they had laces and a single velcro strap, it was fine. That was mostly for duathlons, though.

I see no value in "road shoes" for a triathlete or casual rider.   If you're planning to get off your bike and walk much, road shoes are a bad choice.   Hard to get on wet, usually need socks, too many buckles.

If you prefer the mountain bike shoes, and don't mind losing a minute in transition, then I think you should go ahead and switch.  But if you've not tried a real "tri-shoe" I recommend it.  It's worth the slight inconvenience.

2013-08-22 10:05 PM

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
I use mtb shoes with SPD pedals on my road bike. I've used that setup in sprints as well as an HIM. No issues and comfortable; easy to clip in and run in transition. I just keep the laces on them tied so I can slip them on in transition and tug the Velcro closed, nice and fast.

Got a tri bike and went with Looks to try out a road setup. I love the way they feel when I'm clipped in, but I totally agree with the difficulty clipping in. It takes me longer as my foot slips around on the pedal. Maybe there's a secret I don't know about. I used this bike in an oly this year and just about went down out of T1 trying to clip in. I'm going to keep at trying to figure out this setup next season, but may go to SPDs on this bike too.

Overall I don't see anything wrong with switching back. Especially if you're liking the mtn setup better.
2013-08-22 10:08 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Smaller pedal platform for MTB pedals can cause hot spots, less power transfer.

I have had road pedals/shoes/tri shoes for years and never had that I'm going to slip and fall feeling. I have spds on my cross bike.

I'd check out your pedals/cleats that you are using now to see if there are any adjustments that can be made.

2013-08-23 7:08 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
I've always used MTB shoes w/ Speedplay Frog pedals. That's what my LBS recommended to me when I was a fat guy looking to get on a bike, with no hint of tri ambitions. They're great to run/walk in. I probably lose a few seconds in T1, but otherwise no concerns. If the sole is sufficiently stiff, then there shouldn't be a risk of hot spots due to a smaller pedal.
2013-08-23 8:50 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

The 951
I use nothing but Time ATAC MTB pedals. Have done centuries and hill repeats with them, no troubles and I can walk safely during stops.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road shoes/pedals vs mtn bike shoes/pedals Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road shoes vs mountain bike shoes

Started by Findlay
Views: 4179 Posts: 9

2012-05-25 9:15 AM dan king

T1 - road bike shoes on pedals

Started by LazyRiver
Views: 714 Posts: 3

2011-05-27 10:05 AM birdog41

Mtn Bike pedals.....Tri shoe?

Started by nc452010
Views: 1603 Posts: 14

2010-04-12 11:49 AM Kido

MTB pedal vs. Road Pedal

Started by mwhitely
Views: 4708 Posts: 17

2009-12-29 9:42 PM zr140th

Clip in pedals, road shoes and tri bikes

Started by amills1210
Views: 983 Posts: 3

2009-06-06 4:40 PM greyg8r
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : February 16, 2011
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?
date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.

date : September 9, 2008
comments : 0
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : March 13, 2005
author : infosteward
Using Clipless Pedals Increases Efficiency