United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 35s
Overall Rank = 69/197
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/14
Pre-race routine:

Based on my calf injury almost exactly one month before, I wasn't cleared to run at all until 2 days before this race. I ran 1 mile to test my calf on the morning before the race and then decided I was still going to do it.

Slept in my boat near the course the night before. Got up very early and went to transition.
Event warmup:

Got an easy ride in by myself. Walked down to the beach start and got in some easy swimming as the Olympic waves were starting.
Swim
  • 22m 31s
  • 500 meters
  • 04m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

For the first time (and hopefully last) ever, I nearly quit in the swim. Running in to the water, I thought I tweaked my calf muscle, and it messed with my mind. Then I started swimming too early, when I could have still been running through the water. I popped back up and started running again. Once I started swimming, I swallowed water on a wave and it just set my mind off to thinking it was a very bad day. I stopped swimming, turned my watch off, turned around back towards shore, and started breaststroking in. Then I saw the women's sprint wave lining up to start and I was trying to get out of their way. My mind start railing at me, saying I would never forgive myself for this. I turned my watch back on, waited for it to sync up with GPS again, and started swimming. At this point I was behind the entire men's wave, so I had to navigate my way through them, which wasn't that bad. Unfortunately, coming out of the water there are a few hundred yards to run in the sand, and I was worried about my leg so I walked through a good portion of that. Then the long run up to T1. Had I not stopped at the beginning, I am relatively confident that I would have probably been 1st or 2nd in the AG in this part of the race, even with the long run up to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Not injure my leg? I would have started a little slower knowing I wasn't really mentally prepared for this one. I also would've kept swimming no matter what. Very disappointing in general.
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Did this well, as always.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 36m 55s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Not bad, considering I hadn't been on my bike much for a month. Didn't push this to my limits, and still did okay. Got frustrated with a draft pack that passed me. I passed them back, and then they got me again on a hill. This frustrated me more, and I took off again and passed them and left them behind for the rest of the ride.

Not much...I was just trying to get through the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Did this well again.

Nothing.
Run
  • 28m 18s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 41s  min/km
Comments:

Very slow, but this was by design. PT told me that I could race as long as I didn't push myself here. This was only my second run since the injury, so I just took it easy. Had a Batman mask that I put on shortly in the run to keep myself distracted so I could have fun with the race while not overdoing it. Also had my friend hand me a make-shift cape as I ran by him on the return portion of the run course. I wore that as I ran the final mile or so of the course.

Nothing in this instance...did the best I could coming off of injury.
Post race
Warm down:

Just grabbed some food and drinks, stood around watching others finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injured leg, lack of training, lack of mental preparation.

Event comments:

Fun race, as always. Will always hate the .75 mile transition run from the water, but such is life.

Last updated: 2013-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:31 | 500 meters | 04m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 95/197
Performance: Bad
This is obviously not a correct time. This time includes a .75 miles run to T1.
Suit:
Course: Out about 50meters, down the shore close to 500m, and then back in to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:55 | 12.4 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 30/197
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: A few decent hills, especially turning away from the lake. Lakeshore drive has some rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:18 | 05 kms | 05m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 12/14
Overall: 130/197
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-22 2:24 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint

2013-08-22 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4836513

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint
Nice job on getting back into the swim and overcoming the bad start. And Dude, your slow run pace blows me away, Keep healing up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by leedyb
Views: 1016 Posts: 2

2012-07-11 8:11 AM rymac

Started by dwpiggott
Views: 993 Posts: 2

2012-07-09 11:56 AM Dorm57

Started by dwpiggott
Views: 1185 Posts: 4

2011-07-11 11:31 PM Shermbelle

Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Sprint Triathlon

Started by monkeyboy64
Views: 1176 Posts: 1

2009-07-14 3:21 PM monkeyboy64

Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Sprint Triathlon

Started by caseyman
Views: 1109 Posts: 1

2007-07-09 6:23 PM caseyman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.