View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Haven, Michigan
70F / 21C
Total Time = 1h 29m 35s
Overall Rank = 69/197
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/14
Pre-race routine:

Based on my calf injury almost exactly one month before, I wasn't cleared to run at all until 2 days before this race. I ran 1 mile to test my calf on the morning before the race and then decided I was still going to do it.

Slept in my boat near the course the night before. Got up very early and went to transition.
Event warmup:

Got an easy ride in by myself. Walked down to the beach start and got in some easy swimming as the Olympic waves were starting.
  • 22m 31s
  • 500 meters
  • 04m 30s / 100 meters

For the first time (and hopefully last) ever, I nearly quit in the swim. Running in to the water, I thought I tweaked my calf muscle, and it messed with my mind. Then I started swimming too early, when I could have still been running through the water. I popped back up and started running again. Once I started swimming, I swallowed water on a wave and it just set my mind off to thinking it was a very bad day. I stopped swimming, turned my watch off, turned around back towards shore, and started breaststroking in. Then I saw the women's sprint wave lining up to start and I was trying to get out of their way. My mind start railing at me, saying I would never forgive myself for this. I turned my watch back on, waited for it to sync up with GPS again, and started swimming. At this point I was behind the entire men's wave, so I had to navigate my way through them, which wasn't that bad. Unfortunately, coming out of the water there are a few hundred yards to run in the sand, and I was worried about my leg so I walked through a good portion of that. Then the long run up to T1. Had I not stopped at the beginning, I am relatively confident that I would have probably been 1st or 2nd in the AG in this part of the race, even with the long run up to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Not injure my leg? I would have started a little slower knowing I wasn't really mentally prepared for this one. I also would've kept swimming no matter what. Very disappointing in general.
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s

Did this well, as always.

• 36m 55s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr

Not bad, considering I hadn't been on my bike much for a month. Didn't push this to my limits, and still did okay. Got frustrated with a draft pack that passed me. I passed them back, and then they got me again on a hill. This frustrated me more, and I took off again and passed them and left them behind for the rest of the ride.

Not much...I was just trying to get through the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s

Did this well again.

• 28m 18s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 41s  min/km

Very slow, but this was by design. PT told me that I could race as long as I didn't push myself here. This was only my second run since the injury, so I just took it easy. Had a Batman mask that I put on shortly in the run to keep myself distracted so I could have fun with the race while not overdoing it. Also had my friend hand me a make-shift cape as I ran by him on the return portion of the run course. I wore that as I ran the final mile or so of the course.

Nothing in this instance...did the best I could coming off of injury.
Post race
Warm down:

Just grabbed some food and drinks, stood around watching others finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injured leg, lack of training, lack of mental preparation.

Event comments:

Fun race, as always. Will always hate the .75 mile transition run from the water, but such is life.

Last updated: 2013-05-31 12:00 AM
00:22:31 | 500 meters | 04m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 95/197
Performance: Bad
This is obviously not a correct time. This time includes a .75 miles run to T1.
Course: Out about 50meters, down the shore close to 500m, and then back in to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
Time: 00:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
00:36:55 | 12.4 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 30/197
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: A few decent hills, especially turning away from the lake. Lakeshore drive has some rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
00:28:18 | 05 kms | 05m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 12/14
Overall: 130/197
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

2013-08-22 2:24 PM

User image

Jenison, MI
Subject: Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint

2013-08-22 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4836513

User image

Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint
Nice job on getting back into the swim and overcoming the bad start. And Dude, your slow run pace blows me away, Keep healing up.
My Training LogMy Race Log
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  

Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by leedyb
Views: 406 Posts: 2

2012-07-11 8:11 AM rymac

Started by dwpiggott
Views: 494 Posts: 2

2012-07-09 11:56 AM Dorm57

Started by dwpiggott
Views: 685 Posts: 4

2011-07-11 11:31 PM Shermbelle

Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Sprint Triathlon

Started by monkeyboy64
Views: 612 Posts: 1

2009-07-14 3:21 PM monkeyboy64

Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Sprint Triathlon

Started by caseyman
Views: 742 Posts: 1

2007-07-09 6:23 PM caseyman
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.