World Triathlon Corporation
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 57m 17s
Overall Rank = 562/2600
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 81/335
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4, quick shower, two pieces of toast with PB. Sipped a bottle of perform and headed to transition. Air up tires, place bottles on bike and drop off special needs bags before making the long trek to the swim start line. Was body-marked and in line probably by 5:40 and maybe within first 600-700 athletes in line.
Event warmup:

No in water warmups here so just swinging arms a bit and the light jog down the ramps to the dock once the line started moving.
Swim
  • 1h 21m 15s
  • 3840 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Goal 1:30-1:40, actual 1:21. Pretty comfortable swim for me. Some contact but nothing terrible. Only a short stop once as I got sandwiched between two other swimmers and waited for them to go by and pick a new direction.
What would you do differently?:

Just need more practice to increase speed. I'm a pretty slow swimmer and expected this swim to take me 1:30-1:35. Nearing the end of the swim, I felt really good about my performance but had not looked at my watch until I hit the stairs. Was pleased with my time (current aided on the downstream part for sure).
Transition 1
  • 09m 44s
Comments:

Really slow transition but wanted to make sure I did everything right to prepare for the long day. Many guys sat in grass outside changing tent to get ready. I started doing that then a volunteer asked me to move further out of the way. Picked up my crap and went into the tent. I swam in tri shorts only so had to get my tri jersey on over wet body. Fortunately a volunteer helped. I also put on arm coolers, socks and HR monitor. Applied chamois cream.

First IM race for me so I took my time. Will be better prepared next time.
Bike
  • 6h 06m 17s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal 6:25-6:45, actual 6:06. Fairly tough course. I had been warned of the constant rollers but my training was on similar (if not more difficult) terrain. First and last 10 miles are relatively flat but constant rollers in between. A few tough ascents and the out-and-back section can be dicey with racers flying down one lane with others slowly climbing other lane of two lane road. Stopped at special needs around mile 68 to get nutrition and use the bathroom (3-4 minute stop). I did not care for the pre-bottled perform and am glad I put an empty bottle with powdered perform in my special needs bag. Launched my water bottle shortly after one aid station and was left with just perform for about 12-15 miles - ok for drinking but I missed the cold water to pour over me to keep cool. Experienced some stomach cramping around mile 80 and switched over to water for rest of the ride and cramping went away. Never felt too uncomfortable during the bike. I went by HR for effort to save up for the run. I expected to be a little slower speed on the bike so since I was exceeding my time expectation, I maintained the HR to prepare for the run.

Nothing. More bike training will lead to higher speed at same HR.
Transition 2
  • 09m 10s
Comments:

Again, slow transition. My left big toe was hurting the last 15-20 miles of the bike so I was cautious as I entered transition. Gave bike to the catcher and took off bike shoes. Walked about 50-60 feet before starting an easy job to my bag and changing tent. Took time to change socks and hit the port-o-johns again.

Honestly, not sure how I spent 9 minutes in here. I keep going through this in my head and just don't understand why it took so long.
Run
  • 4h 10m 51s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal 4:25-5:00, actual 4:10. Being my first 140.6, the run was the wild-card coming in. Out of the three disciplines, running is my strength (though it's all relative I guess). I had been working much harder on my bike and my longest run in training was 15 miles (along with one 12 and a few 10s). I've run one stand-alone marathon (Dec 2012 at 3:58). I've heard lots of theories on IM run being anywhere from +1 min/mile over open marathon to adding an hour to open marathon. I felt pretty strong coming out of T2. Started a little fast (first 2.5 mile split at 8:37/mi). From the start of the run, I planned to run aid station to aid station and walk quickly through each station taking in as much nutrition as felt comfortable. I started running again as soon as I hit the end of each station. I continued to feel good through the first loop. Saw family and friends at the turn and got re-energized. Mile 22 started hurting but knew at that time I had 41 minutes to cover 4 miles. Skipped the last two aid stations, made the 2nd to last turn before the chute and saw 11:55 on the watch. Took the chute and enjoyed the sites and sounds. Finished at 11:57.

Nothing really.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my wife at the finish line, drank some water and tried letting it sink in. Walked two blocks to hotel, showered, and met friends for drinks across from the finish line. Stayed at finish line until about 11PM, then headed back to hotel. Absolutely amazing experience.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Never expected sub-12. I just decided to go for full distance in early June. Did my first 70.3 in May in 6:30 and was a little disappointed. Had enough friends doing IMLOU that I decided to give it a shot and my coach put me on a 12-week plan (did not have a coach until that point, online training plan for my 70.3).

Event comments:

Loved it. Obviously I am pumped up by the performance but honestly don't understand why IMLOU gets a bad reputation. Yes, the bike course is challenging and the temps are HOT. But it's IRONMAN, not supposed to be easy.

Last updated: 2013-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:21:15 | 3840 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 225/335
Overall: 1556/2600
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts only
Course: Upriver behind an island for about 0.9 miles, then turn downriver for remainder of swim.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 09:44
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:06:17 | 112 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 145/335
Overall: 956/2600
Avg HR 135
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:  Dry Cadence: 81
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:10
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
04:10:51 | 26.2 miles | 09m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 81/335
Overall: 562/2600
Avg HR 151
Course: Two loop out-and-back. Mostly flat with some areas of shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-29 4:51 PM

Subject: Ironman Louisville
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by PureGrrr
Views: 3699 Posts: 8

2007-09-01 9:35 PM marymosc13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by Neil Hammond
Views: 3563 Posts: 3

2007-08-28 8:38 PM CitySky

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 7994 Posts: 33

2007-09-08 9:45 PM joannh13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by irongirl39
Views: 4206 Posts: 13

2007-09-02 10:36 AM run joe run

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by katimomma
Views: 7743 Posts: 26

2007-09-01 10:26 AM stephen strange
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.
date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.