Other Resources Challenge Me! » Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2013-11-08 11:55 AM
in reply to: erincs

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Originally posted by erincs I just ordered the book. It's not supposed to deliver until Nov 20th, so I will have some catch-up to do once it arrives, but I'll follow along the best I can before then. I have been working with a coach 1:1 for a few weeks, so we will see if I can get some speed going for me this year.

This happened with our last book too, and I bet there will be a few people in the same boat.  We'll take it slowly at first, and make sure everyone is ready to go :)

If anyone in this group has the ability to get some video of their swim, it would be great to have some strokes to look at and discuss.  We have a number of very accomplished swimmers in this group, and I bet if you could get some good feedback.

2013-11-08 12:00 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by b2run
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by b2run I did another swim tonight. It's feeling quite a bit better. One thing I'm wondering about is the S sweep. It seems like she recommends sweeping the arm out wide looking for still water during the grab and then bringing it into the hip in a curve. Am I reading that right? It seems counterproductive to be pushing your hand out to the side when you should be moving it back to gain momentum. The second thing I have a problem with is keeping my right elbow high. I breath every stroke on my left side and I rotate my body more while I'm trying to get a breath which forces my right elbow down further. Any suggestions?

One of the things I like to do with the book club is to have people cite page numbers when discussing an idea presented in the book.  I think that helps everyone (forgive me) get on the same page;) Could you give us the page number you're taking the "S sweep" from?

I don't remember seeing any spot in the book where she recommends a wide move or "s sweep"--but I could have missed it.  She does talk about mini pulses trying to find water or feel the water.  And she does talk about the middle phase of the pull having the forearm at 45 degrees to the body. 

I used to think the I was supposed to keep my elbow high throughout the entire pull, and that was always confusing to me and just seemed physiologically impossible.  I like the way Sheila breaks down the pull into three distinct phases: elbow high and early vertical forearm with no bend in the wrist, the middle with the forearm at 45 degrees, and the finish by the hip. 

For the S sweep, I got the impression from page 81 where she talks about the halo bench which has a piece of plastic that is suppose to be the same shape you follow during your sweep.

Oh, ok. I found that halo section confusing, but I chalked that up to me never having been on one.  Do we have any swimmers in the group who have used one? 

I don't have the book with me at work, but there are some pictures that I thought were really helpful for showing arm position in the pull.  I'll find those when I get home, and post the page numbers.  It was not my impression that there should be any wide s motion.

I'm glad to hear that your swim is already feeling better--win! :)

2013-11-08 3:02 PM
in reply to: erincs

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by erincs I just ordered the book. It's not supposed to deliver until Nov 20th, so I will have some catch-up to do once it arrives, but I'll follow along the best I can before then. I have been working with a coach 1:1 for a few weeks, so we will see if I can get some speed going for me this year.

Did you order from Indigo?  It told me Nov 20th as well but I got a shipping email the next day.  Surely Canada Post can get it from Ontario to PEI or Alberta in less than two weeks...

2013-11-08 4:16 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

With prompting from switch, I decided to post here on the book club. You may have read my post on the original thread but will add here some more insights from my first swim after reading the book. First, I like how the book focuses on one aspect, the pull. It simplifies things for me. Second, the high elbow is difficult, it felt like I was starting all over swimming today. Third, I have done the one arm drill with a board before but never really knew what I was doing. What I found out today is that I am really weak on my left side (not surprising since I am right handed) and that is the side I need to work on the most. My right side adapted to the new stroke better today but I am struggling on my left. Since I know that now, I worked a lot on my left side. I just worked on form today and probably didn't make a 1000 meters but it whopped me. Hope this helps anyone else and look forward to seeing others progression.
I do have a question, where can you buy the tubes that she used on dry land? Or, could I run down to the local hardware store and buy some bungee cords and make my own? Any thoughts?
Jerred
2013-11-08 4:27 PM
in reply to: puzzlecreek

User image

Originally posted by puzzlecreek

With prompting from switch, I decided to post here on the book club. You may have read my post on the original thread but will add here some more insights from my first swim after reading the book. First, I like how the book focuses on one aspect, the pull. It simplifies things for me. Second, the high elbow is difficult, it felt like I was starting all over swimming today. Third, I have done the one arm drill with a board before but never really knew what I was doing. What I found out today is that I am really weak on my left side (not surprising since I am right handed) and that is the side I need to work on the most. My right side adapted to the new stroke better today but I am struggling on my left. Since I know that now, I worked a lot on my left side. I just worked on form today and probably didn't make a 1000 meters but it whopped me. Hope this helps anyone else and look forward to seeing others progression.
I do have a question, where can you buy the tubes that she used on dry land? Or, could I run down to the local hardware store and buy some bungee cords and make my own? Any thoughts?
Jerred

I bought mine on amazon and they're working well.
2013-11-08 4:28 PM
in reply to: puzzlecreek

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by puzzlecreek With prompting from switch, I decided to post here on the book club. You may have read my post on the original thread but will add here some more insights from my first swim after reading the book. First, I like how the book focuses on one aspect, the pull. It simplifies things for me. Second, the high elbow is difficult, it felt like I was starting all over swimming today. Third, I have done the one arm drill with a board before but never really knew what I was doing. What I found out today is that I am really weak on my left side (not surprising since I am right handed) and that is the side I need to work on the most. My right side adapted to the new stroke better today but I am struggling on my left. Since I know that now, I worked a lot on my left side. I just worked on form today and probably didn't make a 1000 meters but it whopped me. Hope this helps anyone else and look forward to seeing others progression. I do have a question, where can you buy the tubes that she used on dry land? Or, could I run down to the local hardware store and buy some bungee cords and make my own? Any thoughts? Jerred

Hey Jerred!

I haven't used bands before, but I did find some online Kinda spendy at $41.95, though there is also just resistance tubing with handles that costs $11.95. Can anyone who has used bands before speak to what kind to get?

2013-11-08 4:30 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by b2run The second thing I have a problem with is keeping my right elbow high. I breath every stroke on my left side and I rotate my body more while I'm trying to get a breath which forces my right elbow down further. Any suggestions?

I need to read the book again for the first question, but on the second it's hard to say for sure without seeing. But many tend to lift their entire head up which throws a lot of things off. It'll feel fairly level, but they'll actually turn it a bit (or a lot) more upright. I've learned to keep the top of my head down in the water more and think of getting my chin up. It feels a bit like I'm tilting my head down and drawing the chin in some to do this, but it actually stays about where it should. I don't think there should be much, if any, extra rotation for a breath.

Thanks, I'll try that. I always feel like I struggle getting my breath. I often pull in a little water too. I not an experienced swimmer so it may be not enough neck flexibility also.
2013-11-08 4:32 PM

User image

Master
PNW
I have the ones with handles in a bunch of different strengths. I've used them in a variety of ways, but as a tool to improve my swim stroke is a new one! I haven't tried it yet. If you can figure out a place to secure them to a post or a wall or something, I think they'd work great for this. I plan on giving it a shot when I'm done with the book.
2013-11-08 5:04 PM
in reply to: GLC1968

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by GLC1968 I have the ones with handles in a bunch of different strengths. I've used them in a variety of ways, but as a tool to improve my swim stroke is a new one! I haven't tried it yet. If you can figure out a place to secure them to a post or a wall or something, I think they'd work great for this. I plan on giving it a shot when I'm done with the book.

Can you just pinch them between a door and the frame--put them in with door open, but close the door to hold them in place?

2013-11-08 6:00 PM

User image

Master
PNW

Originally posted by GLC1968 I have the ones with handles in a bunch of different strengths. I've used them in a variety of ways, but as a tool to improve my swim stroke is a new one! I haven't tried it yet. If you can figure out a place to secure them to a post or a wall or something, I think they'd work great for this. I plan on giving it a shot when I'm done with the book.

Can you just pinch them between a door and the frame--put them in with door open, but close the door to hold them in place?

I think that if I wedged something on the other side of the frame but inside the loop of the band, that might work. Like a stick of some sort (I'm picturing a rubber dog toy that would be perfect for this!) that would keep the band from slipping between the door and the door jam when stretched.

I'll give it a shot tonight and report back. ;-)
2013-11-08 6:18 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Just make sure no one can unexpectedly open the door on you!   SNAP!

2013-11-08 6:30 PM

User image

I do have a question, where can you buy the tubes that she used on dry land? Or, could I run down to the local hardware store and buy some bungee cords and make my own? Any thoughts? Jerred

Hey Jerred!

I haven't used bands before, but I did find some online Kinda spendy at $41.95, though there is also just resistance tubing with handles that costs $11.95. Can anyone who has used bands before speak to what kind to get?

I bought Bodylastics 14 pc, MAX TENSION XT set from amazon. There are six tubes but I only use two. I screwed a hook in the basement wall and that works fine. I've been using them to do some of the workouts that Sheila describes and feel like they're doing the job. I also find them easy to throw into a suitcase when I travel. It's pretty easy to find something to hook them around.
2013-11-08 8:50 PM

User image

Melon Presser

These book clubs are a fantastic idea. Thank you, Elesa.

I'll try to drop in as often as I can. It's a crazy, crazy time for me. However, ironically, I've just finished up going through the Workouts and had planned to start through them again as well as taking a small group through them here in Bali.

The first two weeks of the Workouts are available free on www.sheilat.com, and there are really good instructional videos on the drills and tubing. One of the folks I coached using SSW got the book AFTER getting through the first few weeks of workouts and actually felt like it was much clearer and she understood more having done the workouts first, so not having the book but using the other resources can work, too. She does a Q & A on her website re. the SSW and it's invaluable. Also, her 'hamster' (test) group and others who were/are following post some really great stuff on the Facebook page (Swim Speed Workouts).

If I were going to do something differently (and now I am!) it's to be more rigorous about the tubing. Sheila for sure feels like they're an integral part of the program, and now from my experience, so do I. Remember that it's relatively low yardage -- 7-9k/wk, so the swim-specific strength training is pretty important.

I have the Halo tubing, which Sheila recommends, and I've really liked it. However, any old tubing (including self-made) where you can keep your hand flat against the handle (so round handles okay, but plain straps probably not) will work fine.

I am incredibly fortunate in that Sheila is a mentor and good friend whom I've worked with on several occasions and gotten to observe her working with others also. We keep in pretty close touch.

2013-11-09 7:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Here is a video that shows her using the tubing and the halo bench which requires that your arms sweep out wide at the beginning of your stroke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQQvULCprIs&list=PLC4DD1FE0E3ABC7F8

At her site,
http://www.sheilat.com/
you can also find a bunch of videos of different exercises.

Edited by b2run 2013-11-09 7:26 AM
2013-11-09 7:48 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by b2run Here is a video that shows her using the tubing and the halo bench which requires that your arms sweep out wide at the beginning of your stroke. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQQvULCprIs&list=PLC4DD1FE0E3ABC... At her site, http://www.sheilat.com/you can also find a bunch of videos of different exercises.

Ah, I see what you mean now.

What looks like the arm sweeping out wide is a matter of angles.

When you do the reach (which sets up the catch), your arm is more or less out straight in front of you. As you catch and during the initial pull, to get and keep the high elbow, the UPPER arm moves from forward to outward. But the palm and forearm remain one long straight paddle, pointing downward, that moves water back.

2013-11-09 8:02 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by TriAya

I'll try to drop in as often as I can. It's a crazy, crazy time for me. However, ironically, I've just finished up going through the Workouts and had planned to start through them again as well as taking a small group through them here in Bali.

The first two weeks of the Workouts are available free on www.sheilat.com, and there are really good instructional videos on the drills and tubing. One of the folks I coached using SSW got the book AFTER getting through the first few weeks of workouts and actually felt like it was much clearer and she understood more having done the workouts first, so not having the book but using the other resources can work, too. She does a Q & A on her website re. the SSW and it's invaluable. Also, her 'hamster' (test) group and others who were/are following post some really great stuff on the Facebook page (Swim Speed Workouts).

If I were going to do something differently (and now I am!) it's to be more rigorous about the tubing. Sheila for sure feels like they're an integral part of the program, and now from my experience, so do I. Remember that it's relatively low yardage -- 7-9k/wk, so the swim-specific strength training is pretty important.

I have the Halo tubing, which Sheila recommends, and I've really liked it. However, any old tubing (including self-made) where you can keep your hand flat against the handle (so round handles okay, but plain straps probably not) will work fine.

I am incredibly fortunate in that Sheila is a mentor and good friend whom I've worked with on several occasions and gotten to observe her working with others also. We keep in pretty close touch.

I'd add the praise to Switch/Elesa regarding these book clubs being a really great idea!

Thanks, TriAya/Yanti for weighing in on this. How great is it to have up close and personal ties to Sheila. Wow.
I'm having trouble with the above link, however...Is it broken/old?

2013-11-09 9:06 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Originally posted by dtoce

I'd add the praise to Switch/Elesa regarding these book clubs being a really great idea!

Thanks, TriAya/Yanti for weighing in on this. How great is it to have up close and personal ties to Sheila. Wow.
I'm having trouble with the above link, however...Is it broken/old?

Yes, thanks a bunch Switch.

Try using the link on my last post. It works.
2013-11-09 9:42 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I'll try to drop in as often as I can. It's a crazy, crazy time for me. However, ironically, I've just finished up going through the Workouts and had planned to start through them again :) as well as taking a small group through them here in Bali.

I'm glad you'll be checking in on us Yanti.  I was hoping you would.  Your personal experience with Sheila and first-hand knowledge of these workouts, both doing them and coaching others with them, will be invaluable.  Sounds like your busy, but any time you have for the group will be much appreciated.

Thanks too for the links. I just watched the Halo bench demo and now I really want one.  Doh! It never ends...

--------------

I'm glad you all are liking the book clubs.  They have helped me so much, and it's always great when really knowledgeable people participate.  Big thanks to Salty, Ben, Dale, and Yanti for helping us with the concepts and fielding so many questions with patience and kindness (and occasional tough love when needed). :)

2013-11-11 11:51 AM

User image

Master
PNW
Yes, thanks for starting this and thanks to Yanti for chiming in! I'm so going to spend some time on Sheila's site at lunch (if I can hold off that long!!).

I finished the book over the weekend and started reviewing the workouts. I hope to get to the pool for the first time in MONTHS this week. I do have a question though and maybe someone here has a suggestion....

There is NO WAY that I can read these workout cards without glasses (I'm old, I wear reading glasses now). I don't think they make 'reading' goggles, do they? Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? At least in the beginning, I'm going to need to be able to read these drills and hints and all, poolside. Maybe I just need to take my glasses to the pool...
2013-11-11 11:56 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GLC1968 Yes, thanks for starting this and thanks to Yanti for chiming in! I'm so going to spend some time on Sheila's site at lunch (if I can hold off that long!!). I finished the book over the weekend and started reviewing the workouts. I hope to get to the pool for the first time in MONTHS this week. I do have a question though and maybe someone here has a suggestion.... There is NO WAY that I can read these workout cards without glasses (I'm old, I wear reading glasses now). I don't think they make 'reading' goggles, do they? Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? At least in the beginning, I'm going to need to be able to read these drills and hints and all, poolside. Maybe I just need to take my glasses to the pool...

I use these.  http://www.aquagoggles.com/

2013-11-11 12:28 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I just got my copy on sunday I am in.

2013-11-11 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Originally posted by axteraa

Did you order from Indigo?  It told me Nov 20th as well but I got a shipping email the next day.  Surely Canada Post can get it from Ontario to PEI or Alberta in less than two weeks...

I did order from Indigo. I just got my shipping notification today, so I should have it in time to have a quick peek at it before Friday!
2013-11-11 3:45 PM

User image

Master
PNW

Originally posted by GLC1968 Yes, thanks for starting this and thanks to Yanti for chiming in! I'm so going to spend some time on Sheila's site at lunch (if I can hold off that long!!). I finished the book over the weekend and started reviewing the workouts. I hope to get to the pool for the first time in MONTHS this week. I do have a question though and maybe someone here has a suggestion.... There is NO WAY that I can read these workout cards without glasses (I'm old, I wear reading glasses now). I don't think they make 'reading' goggles, do they? Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? At least in the beginning, I'm going to need to be able to read these drills and hints and all, poolside. Maybe I just need to take my glasses to the pool...

Awesome, THANK YOU!!

I just ordered a pair and I'm so excited by the idea that I'll be able to see both my watch and my workouts again!
2013-11-11 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
I bought the Kindle version to read on my iPad yesterday....and I have a long flight on Thursday, so I suspect I will get a good amount done then

Looking forward to the conversations!
2013-11-11 6:23 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GLC1968

Awesome, THANK YOU!! I just ordered a pair and I'm so excited by the idea that I'll be able to see both my watch and my workouts again!

You're welcome!  I hope they work well for you.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

Oct 15-Nov 15 "Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power" Book Club Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by switch
Views: 16466 Posts: 83

2014-03-14 7:38 AM brigby1

Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25

Started by switch
Views: 38537 Posts: 615

2014-06-05 3:38 PM popsracer

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1868 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2166 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1396 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 0
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...