General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Improving my running speed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-09-08 12:30 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Subject: RE: Improving my running speed
The best way to get faster quickly without increasing training is to loose weight, especially if you are carrying extra fat.

2013-09-09 11:01 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Thanks for all of the ideas. Just a few follow-ups.

So, I'm going to be building "base" for endurance for a while. My typical workout pace is between 8:15 and 8:45/mile. I only have sprints, 5K's and maybe 10k's in my foreseeable future.

Tentative Plan:

1. Add two easy runs on my typical "rest days". Maybe add a 2 mile transition run after my bike-only day. That makes 5 runs/wk. Training 7 days/week.

2. I train durations off a modified 16-week sprint plan that I completed for my first Sprint last week. My starting durations were 10% more than my last regular week before the taper. In a typical 4-week cycle:

Week 1: starting durations (one short, one longer)
Weeks 2 & 3: increase 10%
Week 4: minus 25%
Week 5: pick up at prior month's Week 3 durations and repeat for weeks 6, 7, 8, etc.

3. I'm 6 weeks out from my next sprint. My max week before taper will have runs of 25 min and 43 min.

Questions:
#1: If I add 2 easy runs, I'm thinking of just matching the shorter of the two run durations from my regular schedule to start (23 minutes). If I build from there, progressively, how should I increase? One run segment per week?

#2: If I calculate this pattern indefinitely, by 4 months out, my "short" runs will be up to about an hour! For comparison purposes, Week 1 of my 16 week plan had my short run at 12 minutes! When do I stop building mileage? Does that mean that I've established a "base?"

Thanks.

P.S. At 5'11" and 164 lbs (161 after a strenuous workout), I'm probably not going to be losing any weight anytime soon!!!

2013-09-09 12:15 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Long hill repeats make you faster.

Find a hill between 500m and 1km long at about 6% grade. Steep enough that you pysically experince the hill but not too steep that you have to radically change your form.

Run up it.
Run down it.
Repeat for 40 minutes.
2013-09-09 12:32 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by PsyTri I'm still in disbelief. You just have to run slowly for increasing distances for years and hope you get faster. That does not make much sense. Are you sure this is not just some conspiratorial hazing of the new runner?!?!?!?! What about what I've read about tempo runs? Z4 runs? Sprints? Hills? And re: cadence. I don't get how you run comfortably slow and keep up a 180 cadence? I went for a 5 minute cool down run after my AM bike ride and counted steps for the first time. Think I was at 82 or 84. I was trying to run good form. Not long strides. Actually shorter than usual trying to keep a "high" cadence. Not pushing it. Only went about .6 miles. 7'53"/mile pace. If I were to run slower, as has been suggested, won't my cadence be slower too? If not, it would feel almost like running in place.

I think about it this way.  You are ALREADY have the ability to run fast enough to set a world record at a marathon.  You could run faster than a Kenyon RIGHT NOW - for about 100 yards...  Then you get tired.  You can't keep up the pace for an extended period of time - but you have the ability to run at that pace.

So how do you work on endurance?  LOTS of long continuous runs.  How do you keep from getting injured/over trained doing lots of long continuous runs?  Go slow.  It really is that easy.

For some anecdotal evidence.  When I decided to move up to the IM distance I completely changed my training over to LOTS of long Z2 work which is required for that distance.  No longer tried to get a lot of interval or tempo work in.  Meanwhile, I was still racing by shorter "B" races and just KILLING them (for my standards).  I was surprised how fast I could run a 10k without specifically training for it.  I guess I felt that running 3 hours at 10:00/mile made running 10k at sub 8:00/mile seems easy.

2013-09-09 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by PsyTri
So, I'm going to be building "base" for endurance for a while.

• Questions:
    #1: If I add 2 easy runs, I'm thinking of just matching the shorter of the two run durations from my regular schedule to start (23 minutes). If I build from there, progressively, how should I increase? One run segment per week?

#2: If I calculate this pattern indefinitely, by 4 months out, my "short" runs will be up to about an hour! For comparison purposes, Week 1 of my 16 week plan had my short run at 12 minutes! When do I stop building mileage? Does that mean that I've established a "base?"

I'll make some comments:
    (but others have made suggestions about a multisport training plan and you need to figure out what works best for you and your life/time pressures...)

-We all build base every year and as much as possible; the bigger the base, the taller you can peak (meaning- the faster you can run when maximally trained for the season and sharpened/tapered)-but building a big base takes YEARS. I consider my 'base' whatever I have done consistently in mileage for at least several months.

-I am old and peresonally always take a day off each week from training. For me, my schedule is so hectic that life often dicates what 'planned' workout is missed and I adjust my own schedule to get my harder workouts in and always follow harder efforts with easier/recovery efforts.

-When I am adding running mileage, it is easiest to add another short workout first and then if you handle that>add distance to a medLR and then > and then lengthen your long run. You can add about 10% to an individual run or add in another run of a smililiar distance-especially if you run less than 6x/week..There are no hard and fast rules for this. You may find that you like to run a bit longer somewhat less frequently-whatever works for you.

(As an added example--if you get to the point of being able to do runs 6x/week; 3 can be Xdistance, 2 150%X and 1 2Xdistance
    this can be increased to 3Xdistance, 2 2X, distance and 1 2-3X distance over time. I personally like to be able to do 2-3 medLR's of an hour or so during base building and I don't even push my "Long Run", just do more frequent medLR's. Once you get to 3 sessions of an hour and 3 sessions of easy/30 min running, you will be able to make very solid gains. These medLR's are where I like to put in 'intensity', with effort somewhat harder ie MP/LT, shorter intervals/reps. This is multipace training and is the spice of run training).

-Learn your body and cut back if you feel tired overall. Run training is often the hardest on the body and you have to be careful with injuries as that really does set you back.. Put cutback weeks into your schedule everey 4-6 weeks to let your body absorb the training (=periodization)

-And remember to have fun, log what you learn and try to get better at recognizing what you need to do to hold certain effort levels. It is much easier to train when you have an idea of your pace and effort level based on your pace and effort level. Pay attention to yourself.

There are lots of good books on triathlon and running. If you want to read about paces and effort levels, I'd recommend Dr. Daniel's, The Running Formula.
    2013-09-09 12:45 PM

User image

Possibly a dumb question - but have you had a VO2 Max test done and heartrate zones established? you can estimate your zones (there is a formula online) or have it done - but they will give you an idea of where you need to keep your HR at while training for endurance.

I just got done reading Finding Ultra (Rich Roll) who did Ultra-man and other slightly more insane races (Epic 5 - 5 IM tri's on the 5 islands of Hawaii in a week - originally it was going to be 5 days) - and he talks about when he began his training and the zones and didn't understand how running slow would help him, until it started to

2013-09-09 12:54 PM
    in reply to: austhokie

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    Originally posted by austhokie

Possibly a dumb question - but have you had a VO2 Max test done and heartrate zones established? you can estimate your zones (there is a formula online) or have it done - but they will give you an idea of where you need to keep your HR at while training for endurance.

I just got done reading Finding Ultra (Rich Roll) who did Ultra-man and other slightly more insane races (Epic 5 - 5 IM tri's on the 5 islands of Hawaii in a week - originally it was going to be 5 days) - and he talks about when he began his training and the zones and didn't understand how running slow would help him, until it started to

I have had v02max testing done on me several times, but to be honest, there is not a lot of useful information that comes out of it for training. You get to learn a bit about your genetic potential, but the best info was my measured LT heart rate so I could use that in training. And it was spot on to what I predicted based on my vdot.

Second, v02max is weight based, so as was mentioned earlier, achieving an optimal BMI will be helpful for most, but not our lean OP.

Third, you can also use vdot from Daniel's for training purposes. Even if it's a triathlon run, it is a measured number based on performance and can give you 'training' zones that are very specific.
    Here's a link below.

http://www.runbayou.com/jackdPrint.htm
    2013-09-09 1:09 PM

User image

Champion
    Knoxville area
    not to be "that guy" but 5'11" and 160s isn't exactly "runner" skinny.

Otherwise, yada yada yada run more don't worry about "paces." An easy pace for me depends on the time of day, training load, whether I ate breakfast, about a million things. This is a case of more = more.
    2013-09-09 1:13 PM

User image

I HATE the BMI argument - because it makes no sense...its was something that was designed essentially for the insurance industry for evaluating health for rates...because the minute you gain any muscle weight - your BMI goes out the window...according to mine, I am obese and yet, I look like I weigh 25lbs less than I do - just due to being musclar but short
    2013-09-09 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by austhokie I HATE the BMI argument - because it makes no sense...its was something that was designed essentially for the insurance industry for evaluating health for rates...because the minute you gain any muscle weight - your BMI goes out the window...according to mine, I am obese and yet, I look like I weigh 25lbs less than I do - just due to being musclar but short

I'm 5'7 and weigh 150-155.  My aim is to get closer to 145 come race time next season.  

I used to be one of those "BMI doesn't matter" guys back when I weighed 160+.  Yes you can have a higher than normal weight BMI and be healthy for everyday life, but if your goal is to be as fast as you can be, then having a BMI over 25 isn't going to get you there.

2013-09-09 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    Originally posted by austhokie

I HATE the BMI argument - because it makes no sense...its was something that was designed essentially for the insurance industry for evaluating health for rates...because the minute you gain any muscle weight - your BMI goes out the window...according to mine, I am obese and yet, I look like I weigh 25lbs less than I do - just due to being musclar but short

I will not get dragged into the 'BMI' argument and actuarial data...The point is that the OP is not carrying a lot of excess baggage that could be lost and immediately make him faster. This is not about you or your BMI.

And volume training will work well, but eventually there is a bigger benefit from multipace training despite the earlier 'yada yada' comments.
    I have said enough.

(These boards are always so inviting to starting arguments-Next FredD will be chiming in...I don't need any additional drama...I'm out of here...)

2013-09-09 1:27 PM
    in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro

Oh....the weight issue.  I watch kids run 15:XX - 16:XX 5K's all the time..... my son is 6'4" 160.  He's running second on his team, for now, to an 18 year old who is 6'3" 155.  They'll both lose to a kid who is 5'10" 135 with a crazy turnover rate.

In FAST running from 5K on up.....if you are 5'10 and 160 you are fat.....deal with it. Laughing

2013-09-09 1:48 PM

check this:http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485;search_string=runtraining;#1612485
    2013-09-09 2:44 PM
    in reply to: USAFR

User image

Thanks again for the spirited discussion and ideas. Didn't mean to incite a riot!

Gotta get running to loose some of that extra weight. LOL!

Cheers,

The Fat Newbie!

2013-09-09 2:56 PM

To the OP: I started loosely (modified) following the Barry P plan back in June. I was like you, wanted to increase my speed but didn't realize that running more and running slower would do the trick until this forum told me I needed to be running a lot more (and at the time I felt I was running a lot but it was only running a lot for what I was used to). I'm still not fast but my times have come in considerably and I am able to hold them at longer distances. Here is a summary of my progress since following the plan.

June: 65.6 miles, 8:59 / mi
    July: 76.8 miles, 8:52 / mi
    August: 96.2 miles, 8:28 / mi
    September: 36.7 miles, 8:30 / mi

My longest single run distances and times by month (all done on the same route / in same area and same time of day). These are also done keeping my heart rate in the same range for a comfortable pace (aim for 155, stay below 160) and not pushing it as hard as I can:

June 2: 9.1 miles, 9:41 / mi, 153 bpm
    July 21: 8.9 miles, 8:56 / mi, 156 bpm
    August 25: 12.1 miles, 8:33 / mi, 158 bpm
    September 8: 12.0 miles, 8:35 / mi, 159 bpm

So I am running 12 miles now at a pace that is faster than I was running even 6 miles just a few months ago. I still have a long way to go to hit my goals but I have seen considerable progress by sticking to the plan and I even like running a little bit now. Just a tiny bit. Not a lot though.

2013-09-09 4:58 PM
    in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Pro

Originally posted by pnwdan The best way to get faster quickly without increasing training is to loose weight, especially if you are carrying extra fat.

Roughly, 1lb = 2 sec/mi.  soooo- 1lb = 1min for a marathon.  Not that the OP looks like he's got much to lose.

I wish I had read this thread 3 years ago.  eh, I probably wouldn't have believed it anyway.  now- I'm a convert.  

2013-09-09 7:01 PM
    in reply to: morey000

User image

Expert
    Wilmington, NC
    Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by pnwdan The best way to get faster quickly without increasing training is to loose weight, especially if you are carrying extra fat.

Roughly, 1lb = 2 sec/mi.  soooo- 1lb = 1min for a marathon.  Not that the OP looks like he's got much to lose.

I wish I had read this thread 3 years ago.  eh, I probably wouldn't have believed it anyway.  now- I'm a convert.  

at what point is this no longer valid? Like you said. The OP does not look like he has much to lose.
    There has to be a point were losing weight is a negative.
    2013-09-09 9:50 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by qrkid at what point is this no longer valid? Like you said. The OP does not look like he has much to lose. There has to be a point were losing weight is a negative.

And there is. The majority of us don't and never will reach that point, though.

Edited by msteiner 2013-09-09 9:51 PM
    2013-09-09 10:27 PM

User image

I can't help jumping in here. Everyone's giving you very good advice given where you're at in your training. But, in my experience, you absolutely can over do it on the running. And, there is a point where; if you run slowly for a long, long time you get really, really good at running slowly.

You look pretty light (which I'm not. I can feel the pounding my body is taking at a certain mileage). So, I'd guess you can get around 50-60 miles/week before it starts to feel like abuse.

Personally, I begin to slow down all over after about 40 miles a week. My tempo runs get slower, my intervals get slower. When I go out to run a 5k, just to test myself it's 3 minutes off my PR. My muscles just will NOT contract with enough speed or power.

I still do those weeks when I'm training up (just did a 50k trail run on Saturday and had 3 weeks of over 50 miles out of 8 weeks training) but I definitely don't carry that much mileage unless it's part of a specific event training.

I truly believe running is the single best way to get fit but you can get very, very fit on a bike as well without the impact.

That's not to discount what's been said here but there is almost always a point where you can get too much of a good thing.

Follow everyone's advice but in 6 months if you just feel absolutely beat to hell don't feel guilty at all about swapping a 5 mile easy run for a 20 mile easy ride.

And - if anyone cares - before Saturday I'd never run more than 20 miles in one day and I've never, ever run slower than I did during that run. We'll see if I've gotten any faster in 7 weeks when I've got a marathon.
    2013-09-09 10:39 PM
    in reply to: adelsud

User image

Bear with me, since I'm new to this, but it sounds like people run "slow" according to some metric independent of pace, since you are saying that as your fitness improves, your pace on these slow runs (and other runs) improves slowly. For these easy runs, are you all using RPE or HR monitor (to keep in Z2, I presume)? Just trying to figure out what my slow pace should be.

Thanks.
    2013-09-09 10:39 PM

User image

Master
    Beijing
    Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by qrkid at what point is this no longer valid? Like you said. The OP does not look like he has much to lose. There has to be a point were losing weight is a negative.

And there is. The majority of us don't and never will reach that point, though.

Somewhere in the single-digits of body-fat percentage... maybe.   If you can lose muscle-mass without losing endurance, then in theory it will make you even faster (over a given distance.)  Of course, following that course to its conclusion would be insanity.  Since your muscles are also your glycogen storage devices the trade-off would turn negative pretty quickly, I imagine.

A 150 pound guy with 10% body fat could reasonably safely lose another 6-8 pounds of fat... which could translate into more than a few seconds off of a 5k... an eternity in a tight race.

^^^ this is just a thought experiment.  I'm not advocating this as a race strategy... especially for growing CC runners!

2013-09-09 10:40 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by adelsud I can't help jumping in here. Everyone's giving you very good advice given where you're at in your training. But, in my experience, you absolutely can over do it on the running. And, there is a point where; if you run slowly for a long, long time you get really, really good at running slowly. You look pretty light (which I'm not. I can feel the pounding my body is taking at a certain mileage). So, I'd guess you can get around 50-60 miles/week before it starts to feel like abuse. Personally, I begin to slow down all over after about 40 miles a week. My tempo runs get slower, my intervals get slower. When I go out to run a 5k, just to test myself it's 3 minutes off my PR. My muscles just will NOT contract with enough speed or power. I still do those weeks when I'm training up (just did a 50k trail run on Saturday and had 3 weeks of over 50 miles out of 8 weeks training) but I definitely don't carry that much mileage unless it's part of a specific event training. I truly believe running is the single best way to get fit but you can get very, very fit on a bike as well without the impact. That's not to discount what's been said here but there is almost always a point where you can get too much of a good thing. Follow everyone's advice but in 6 months if you just feel absolutely beat to hell don't feel guilty at all about swapping a 5 mile easy run for a 20 mile easy ride. And - if anyone cares - before Saturday I'd never run more than 20 miles in one day and I've never, ever run slower than I did during that run. We'll see if I've gotten any faster in 7 weeks when I've got a marathon.

Wait.....so you think that you did your longest run ever slower than ever and 7 weeks from now you will be faster?  Nobody is saying tat will happen.......NOBODY.  In fact, that's ridiculous.

Run much more often and much slower for two years.....then check back in.  You'll be faster....probably a lot faster.

2013-09-09 11:02 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by adelsud I can't help jumping in here. Everyone's giving you very good advice given where you're at in your training. But, in my experience, you absolutely can over do it on the running. And, there is a point where; if you run slowly for a long, long time you get really, really good at running slowly. You look pretty light (which I'm not. I can feel the pounding my body is taking at a certain mileage). So, I'd guess you can get around 50-60 miles/week before it starts to feel like abuse. Personally, I begin to slow down all over after about 40 miles a week. My tempo runs get slower, my intervals get slower. When I go out to run a 5k, just to test myself it's 3 minutes off my PR. My muscles just will NOT contract with enough speed or power. I still do those weeks when I'm training up (just did a 50k trail run on Saturday and had 3 weeks of over 50 miles out of 8 weeks training) but I definitely don't carry that much mileage unless it's part of a specific event training. I truly believe running is the single best way to get fit but you can get very, very fit on a bike as well without the impact. That's not to discount what's been said here but there is almost always a point where you can get too much of a good thing. Follow everyone's advice but in 6 months if you just feel absolutely beat to hell don't feel guilty at all about swapping a 5 mile easy run for a 20 mile easy ride. And - if anyone cares - before Saturday I'd never run more than 20 miles in one day and I've never, ever run slower than I did during that run. We'll see if I've gotten any faster in 7 weeks when I've got a marathon.

Wait.....so you think that you did your longest run ever slower than ever and 7 weeks from now you will be faster?  Nobody is saying tat will happen.......NOBODY.  In fact, that's ridiculous.

Run much more often and much slower for two years.....then check back in.  You'll be faster....probably a lot faster.

I treated the 50k like a long training run, not a race. I've got 1 more 18 miler and 1 more 20 miler between now and then. It would have been a 20 mile run if I'd just trained. So, now I just go back into my regular training schedule and I've got a 2 week taper before the marathon. I still think I'll make it work. I went for a jog today and I'm a bit stiff but not that sore.

I didn't want to hijack his thread with my story. I just wanted to point out that I absolutely agree he needs to add volume but no one was pointing out that there's a limit there for most people where they're better off dialing back if they're feeling beat up.
    2013-09-09 11:06 PM

User image

Master
    Beijing

Originally posted by PsyTri Bear with me, since I'm new to this, but it sounds like people run "slow" according to some metric independent of pace, since you are saying that as your fitness improves, your pace on these slow runs (and other runs) improves slowly. For these easy runs, are you all using RPE or HR monitor (to keep in Z2, I presume)? Just trying to figure out what my slow pace should be. Thanks.

Your "slow" pace should be whatever allows you to run more and more without getting hurt.  If you can crank out 40 miles a week at 8:00/mile... GREAT.

Generally you "get hurt" when you:

1. Just overuse your muscles/joints.

2. Get too tired.

"Getting Tired" leads to all sorts of things, like making bad choices about what workouts to do, or getting burnt out, or having bad form, or changing your eating habits, whatever.

There is no "right answer" for finding your slow pace.  You'll have to experiment to see what's  sustainable.    Because that's the key:  Running more and more for long periods of time.

2013-09-09 11:08 PM

User image

Pro
    Originally posted by adelsud
    Originally posted by Left Brain

I treated the 50k like a long training run, not a race. I've got 1 more 18 miler and 1 more 20 miler between now and then. It would have been a 20 mile run if I'd just trained. So, now I just go back into my regular training schedule and I've got a 2 week taper before the marathon. I still think I'll make it work. I went for a jog today and I'm a bit stiff but not that sore. I didn't want to hijack his thread with my story. I just wanted to point out that I absolutely agree he needs to add volume but no one was pointing out that there's a limit there for most people where they're better off dialing back if they're feeling beat up.

And my point is that running adaptations take a looong time....think 2 or 3 years.  One long slow run is just not part of the discussion.  Run more, mostly slow, and you will get faster.

The other thing is...... are you sure you did a 50K?  That's 30 miles.  You said your long run was 20.....I'm just saying.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Improving my running speed Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Improve ENDURANCE while improving overall SPEED??

Started by crmorton
    Views: 1901 Posts: 16

2010-05-05 3:15 PM crmorton

good books on running....want to improve speed in off-season Pages: 1 2

Started by trix
    Views: 2112 Posts: 34

2009-10-09 12:59 PM Daremo

Improving my running speed

Started by cawhite69
    Views: 1735 Posts: 16

2008-01-02 12:29 AM cawhite69

Has anyone dramatically improved their run speed? Pages: 1 2

Started by krludwig
    Views: 2566 Posts: 32

2007-10-03 1:28 AM KSC

IMPROVE RUNNING SPEED

Started by p4406
    Views: 2182 Posts: 20

2005-09-27 8:03 AM p4406
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 13, 2012
    author : KarbonSpeed
    comments : 2
    "These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : April 23, 2009
    author : Team BT
    comments : 1
    Incorporating strides to improving your cadence, be light on your feet and improve your run times.
    date : October 11, 2007
    author : Amy Kuitse
    comments : 2
    When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?

date : October 5, 2007
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    comments : 0
    Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.
    date : June 14, 2005
    author : smeeko
    Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.

date : December 27, 2004
    author : gsmacleod
    comments : 1
    I have seen very athletically talented teams fall apart in clutch situations and much less gifted teams play well above their ability!
    date : October 17, 2004
    author : mbologna
    One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.

date : August 31, 2004
    author : smeeko
    I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.