General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego Triathlon Classic - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

San Diego Triathlon Classic - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Moment Sporting Events
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 40s
Overall Rank = 35/242
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/13
Pre-race routine:

My times aren't official since I've chopped 4:00 off the bike since the volunteer sent me the wrong way. My run would have been about 2:00 faster if I had been racing, but I left the run number alone.

My pre-race routine was like usual for So Cal, I woke up about 2 1/2 hours before I had to be at transition and drove to San Diego drinking mochas and eating fig bars.

Event warmup:

T1 was scheduled to be closed before the national anthem, so we sprinters hung out for the Oly waves. I got wet a couple of times.
Swim
  • 16m 19s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

A fun swim, and it was interesting, it was crowded with a lot of contact because of the order of the waves: Oly waves went oldest to youngest, and the sprint left a few minutes later when the Oly was about half done. It was crowded the whole way, more so when the sprint and Oly merged.

I could have been a couple of minutes faster if I'd been smarter with the crowd. I started in the middle about three swimmers back, and found myself stuck behind a group of slower swimmers for about 1/3 of the swim, until I gave up, stopped, and swam a few yards to the right to get to the outside. From then on, I was at a better pace, and found it easier to get through the various waves. My plan was to swim on the outside, which I should have done, but my wave lined up a lot less crowded in the middle. Next time, I think I'll line up on the outside in the first row.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

46th o/l Not bad, nothing fancy. I took off the cap and goggles at the rack so i wouldn't lose them.
What would you do differently?:

As always, it would have been good to run faster out of the water.
Bike
  • 42m 19s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.85 mile/hr
Comments:

After I signed up and read race reports, I obsessed after reading about the bike being especially hilly, technical and crowded, so I left the TT bike at home and put clip-ons on my Masi road bike. It was hilly, and but not as technical and crowded as I expected. There were crashes again this year, which means it wasn't the safest bike course, but it was fine for most experienced riders.

The Masi did fine, but I was initially confused that I was faster than the people I'd climbed with once on the aero stretches - I expected to be faster on the hills and slower on the flats than similar riders. A friend who'd done similar races knew the answer: some of the people on TT bikes over do it on the hills, matching my roady's climbs, and aren't as fast in aero as they would be.

I'm very happy with doing about 20 on a tough course, but next time, I'd bring the TT bike, on this course it would be slightly faster.

AND THEN - toward the end of the course at the key intersection where the second Oly loop went back to Point Loma and the bike finish was to the left, I missed the signs while I was paying attention to traffic, so called to the volunteer, "which way do sprinters go," and he pointed me to Point Loma. I knew immediately that that was fishy, and that according to the rules, it was my fault that I didn't know the details of the course. After asking every volunteer I saw, I figured it out, and turned around, losing 4:00 according to my Strava file. Shrug. So much for my hopes for the podium.

This race is very high quality, and it was a fluke that there wasn't a vol shouting clear directions like is normal. I emailed the RD suggesting that she borrow procedures from WTC and have vols giving directions at key intersections, along with signs.

As I was cheering Oly runners with a friend, one fast woman spontaneously mentioned that she'd done 3 laps on the bike rather than 2, so I'm sure a number of us got pointed the wrong way.

I haven't been training very much, and when I do my friends make me feel slow, but this ride affirmed that I'm a cyclist. I'm hoping to do it again next year to see how the TT bike does.

There wasn't much I could have done differently. I studied the course map, and called to volunteers for directions at the confusing intersection. The key reason I got sent the wrong way was there were two 90 degree turns, a right, then the split. With a fast bike, and waves timed so I was out of the water with Oly athletes, I was on the r/h inside of a pack of strong riders, so at 23 mph had to pay more attention to wheels than to the signs at the second turn. Thinking back, when I called to vols, I was on the inside of a group, and if they had they pointed me the correct way, it wouldn't have been safe to cross through to the correct route. Not only should there have been trained vols shouting directions, there should have been vols sorting people out before we got to the corner.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

64th o/l

Run a little faster
Run
  • 26m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I coasted since I'd lost that 4 minutes on the bike, so I could have gone at a 7:45 pace if I'd pushed. It was warm for San Diego, and I took water at the aid stations, something I don't usually do at sprints. It was a very pretty course, and very well marked with cones.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, strawberries, pizza and free beer. I cheered friends on the Oly run, and had a great time with them when they finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm getting my run back into shape, and did about like I expected. Very fun race.

Event comments:

A super, high quality event!

Here are the official results:

AG numbers

Overall results

Last updated: 2013-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:19 | 750 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 82/242
Performance: Below average
Suit: 19
Course: A rectangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:19 | 14 miles | 19.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 14/242
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Hilly out to Point Loma and back. 530 feet of climbing.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:29 | 03.1 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 70/242
Performance:
Course: Flat, along the harbor
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-08 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: San Diego Triathlon Classic - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego Triathlon Classic - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Atolins
Views: 803 Posts: 1

2011-06-28 5:58 PM Atolins

Started by cjhild
Views: 1602 Posts: 6

2010-06-30 3:14 PM Chezz

Started by iowagander
Views: 1610 Posts: 6

2010-06-30 12:45 PM cjhild

Started by molly@rosenblumlawlv
Views: 1585 Posts: 3

2008-07-01 11:50 AM jamesG

Started by K-Money
Views: 1719 Posts: 4

2007-06-27 8:19 AM goran007
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : September 3, 2004
Sao Paulo triathletes last Thursday could not have asked for better guidance in balancing their rigorous training and work schedules.