Regularly (1 / week)23 Votes - [13.22%]
Very Often (2+ times / week)7 Votes - [4.02%]
Couldn't live without it.2 Votes - [1.15%]

2013-09-14 7:03 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Fast food
I am curious as to how this community views fast food (I am really focusing on the burgers and fries kinda stuff here). I was prompted to ask this after seeing a story on the news about a guy who has eaten 10+ Big Macs for the last 20 or so years, and he clearly did not look overweight. I have only been in McD's to pee for the last 5+ years and really could not imagine eating one of their burgers (I will eat a Subway sandwich on occasion so I am not an absolute purist). Just wanted to know how a group that is very health conscious feels about this.

2013-09-14 7:18 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Montreal
Subject: RE: Fast food
I'll eat it in a pinch, but I'm vegetarian so that rules out a lot of the juicy burgers for me. I eat Subway and Dagwoods (a Canadian sub place - much superior) at least once a week. Usually with a V8 and a bag of baked lays. A&W has an amazing veggie burger, although it's packed with sodium and fat, it's a nice treat. Harveys (another Canadian burger joint) has a decent veggie burger as well.

I don't know if it was a typo in your original post, but I saw a story about a guy who ate at least one Big Mac A DAY and he was thin as a rake. My guess is that he probably wasn't eating much else during the day.
2013-09-14 7:20 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Prior to starting my training in January, I would have fast food maybe twice a week. Mostly at lunch time at work. Since January I have probably gone to Wendy's maybe 5 times and each time I got a chicken wrap, which isn't that bad I guess. Other than that, My kids love chick fil a, so every wednesday we have that. I usually just get chicken strips and fries. I guess as far as the other choices of fast food that are out there, chicken and fries are probably pretty mild. I can honestly say that I don't really even crave a fast food burger anymore.
2013-09-14 7:24 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I would have to be fairly desperate to get a McD's (or similar) burger.  I would have to be short of time, starving and no other choice.  Subway would also be my fast food of choice if I couldn't get something better.

That said, I did go to an In and Out Burger when vacationing in California last week because everyone kept saying how good they were...

2013-09-14 7:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Shazzy I'll eat it in a pinch, but I'm vegetarian so that rules out a lot of the juicy burgers for me. I eat Subway and Dagwoods (a Canadian sub place - much superior) at least once a week. Usually with a V8 and a bag of baked lays. A&W has an amazing veggie burger, although it's packed with sodium and fat, it's a nice treat. Harveys (another Canadian burger joint) has a decent veggie burger as well. I don't know if it was a typo in your original post, but I saw a story about a guy who ate at least one Big Mac A DAY and he was thin as a rake. My guess is that he probably wasn't eating much else during the day.

Admit it, you go to Schwartz's all the time.  Wink

Edit: as soon as I clicked Submit I saw that you were vegetarian so nevermind.  Laughing

Edited by axteraa 2013-09-14 7:26 AM
2013-09-14 7:31 AM

User image

Montreal
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Shazzy I'll eat it in a pinch, but I'm vegetarian so that rules out a lot of the juicy burgers for me. I eat Subway and Dagwoods (a Canadian sub place - much superior) at least once a week. Usually with a V8 and a bag of baked lays. A&W has an amazing veggie burger, although it's packed with sodium and fat, it's a nice treat. Harveys (another Canadian burger joint) has a decent veggie burger as well. I don't know if it was a typo in your original post, but I saw a story about a guy who ate at least one Big Mac A DAY and he was thin as a rake. My guess is that he probably wasn't eating much else during the day.

Admit it, you go to Schwartz's all the time. Wink

Edit: as soon as I clicked Submit I saw that you were vegetarian so nevermind. Laughing

Haha, you got me! But only for the pickles now

Edited by Shazzy 2013-09-14 7:31 AM

2013-09-14 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
By your standards, somewhere between "never" and "sometimes". I'm not sure I'd consider Subway as "fast food". If you have a normal sized sandwich with lean meat and veggies on whole grain bread, and stay away from the fatty toppings, chips, and soda, it's pretty healthy. I sometimes get one on the way back from master's swimming at home, since my parents don't eat lunch and I can't make it even to their early dinnertime after a long swim.

Besides Subway, I don't really like the stuff served at fast food restaurants. It's not just a health issue; it all seems very bland and mushy, and often too sweet. I think I have insensitive taste buds--I prefer pretty spicy stuff with a variety of textures. You'd be much more likely to find me indulging in "fast food" in a Singapore food court (I'm addicted to an Indonesian curry stall called Padang Pandang) or a Thai street market (bring on the papaya salad!).

My one fast food downfall is fries. It's probably the salt that I crave. I normally get them at a café, not a fast food place, where they come with a healthy sandwich (grilled chicken, salmon, or tuna) and a salad. It's a pretty substantial bowl of them. I like them local style, with a 50/50 mix of chili and ketchup. A few times a year, usually courtesy of my dad, who's a junk food junkie, I end up with a big bag of fast-food fries, usually from Five Guys. I just don't give a sh..... I don't have weight or cholesterol issues, and everyone's entitled to a few vices!
2013-09-14 8:45 AM

User image

I voted sometimes but its closer to once every two months. The only one I really like is Chic fil a. If I have McD's burger I pretty much feel sick afterward so haven't one in a long time. I guess I could try their health stuff but the place makes me feel gross just walking in. Loved it as a kid! Happy meals work I guess.
2013-09-14 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
So I took an expanded view of fast food and included convenience foods (frozen quick snacks that I pop in the microwave). Once or twice a month there is just no satisfying my hunger no matter how much I eat. And then I get out a pizza puff....or jalapeno poppers...or some other sodium and fat laden frozen snack. And all is good. I don't like them nearly as much as I used to...but if I didn't eat them, I wouldn't get to sleep. Still seeking a good solution to this though...

Fast food restaurants....only when on road trips and even then it is usually a Subway or Jimmy John's (quick sandwich shops) thing. I don't like fries (never have...weird) so that has never been an issue for me.
2013-09-14 8:58 AM

User image

The 951
Enjoying life is mostly about enjoying everything in moderation.
2013-09-14 8:59 AM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Regular
LHOTP
The only fast food item I've eaten in the last 16 years has been the ice cream, and I haven't done that now in over 6 years. I really love good food and love to cook, and I end up structuring my day so that I eat well and make sure my family eats well. It's important to me, and I'm not sure if this will make sense in this context, but it's a big way I show love to people I care about.

2013-09-14 9:02 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Chic-fil-a is great (ask for a wheat bun; just lay off the waffle fries). I confess to going to Five Guys last night. Good burgers there!
2013-09-14 9:05 AM

User image

Bronze member
Sometimes for me. I drive 35 min to get to the Y to swim 2 x a week. When I leave to head home it is usually 12:00. I try to pack things to eat in the van on the way home but there are always a few days a month I have nothing and am starving. McDonalds is my very last choice before I am out of town with literally no where to stop for anything at all for the next 26 miles until I get home. I just get a grilled snack wrap and small fries to tide me over then eat real food when I get home.
2013-09-14 9:23 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I normally take my lunch to work and eat at my desk.  Once or twice a month I'll go to the Jimmy Johns around the corner and get a sub and bag of chips.

Mark

2013-09-14 9:53 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

New user
Bremerton, WA
I don't eat fast food for two big reasons. 1) because I hate the way the way it makes me feel sick afterwards. 2) because of what I know about CAFO beef and chicken confinement houses. I won't spend my money supporting such establishments. I am not a vegetarian, but I buy my meat from farmers and ranchers I know.
2013-09-14 9:55 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
I don't like the mass marketing of fast food and big grocery chains in general, but I know I have to live in a world that isn't always kind to those of us that want to subsist on organic, locally grown food (especially where I live, other than a few farmers markets once a week it's really hard to find affordable, local, organic food). I think I'm turned off so much by the over blown advertising of fast food because I work in television (I direct television news) and am surrounded by it constantly and am really quite sick of it. I get especially annoyed when we do some ridiculous "health" story in our newscast that claim organic food is unnecessary or vitamins aren't good for you. People shouldn't be getting their health information from a 2 minute package crammed into a hyped up newscast. They should really take the time to read and learn about what good nutrition really is.

I apologize, I will get off my soapbox now LOL

But to the OP, no, I hate fast food. Like everyone else if I'm stranded and have no other option, I would go with a salad at whatever place was available. And I believe Subway is definitely the lesser of all the evils. But I'm a vegan and don't eat processed white flour, so the sandwiches are out for me. I usually get a bunch of veggies on a pita or in a bowl as a salad.

2013-09-14 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I will eat a burger but not a fastfood burger.
I would literally have to be starving with no other prospects for days
I think in my whole life (I am 51) I have had a fast food burger maybe 5 times.

Subway is sometimes on the agenda when the boys really want it
2013-09-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: TriToy

If there's absolutely nothing else available and the grocery stores are closed? Perhaps I'll go for a salad or something. But I much prefer going into a grocery store and grabbing a couple things. A pack of tuna, a bagel, a banana and some nuts are not only healthier than fast food fare but also cheaper.
2013-09-14 12:00 PM
in reply to: dmdpac

User image

I voted never unless pizza is considered fast food but I get that from the local places on occasion. I do not like the big national pizza chain pizza. I also do not care for Subway.
2013-09-14 1:30 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Oh dear, I fear I am in the minority here.  I just don't generally have time but to grab a burger.  Sometimes a sub, sometimes a McChicken, sometimes Chinese.  In an attempt to eat better I've broken a 20 year poptart addiction and replaced with a granola bar for breakfast.  Oh, and I started to take vitamins.
2013-09-14 1:35 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'm maybe 1-2 times per year. In general, it s only when it's the only option, like when were on a long car trip and don't feel like getting off the highway to look for a diner.
I'm lucky in that there are tons of other options close to where I work that fast food doesn't win simply on convenience alone.

ETA: I wouldn't consider Subway to be fast food the way I would McD, BK, KFC, etc.

2013-09-14 2:27 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

New user
KY
I'm a vegan but still caved when it came to the occasional french fry from such upscale establishments as Wendy's or Arby's. That said, after recently watching such documentaries as "Forks Over Knives" and "Food, Inc," I avoid most processed foods and fast food joints in particular. My body has thanked me, and it's nice to no longer deal with those "grease hangovers" that always seemed to kick in about 30 minutes after eating there! Chipolte has now become my go-to for food on the go. I guess it's technically still fast food if you want to be a stickler.
2013-09-14 2:41 PM

User image

I would have to be fairly desperate to get a McD's (or similar) burger.  I would have to be short of time, starving and no other choice.  Subway would also be my fast food of choice if I couldn't get something better.

That said, I did go to an In and Out Burger when vacationing in California last week because everyone kept saying how good they were...

In N Out is not fast food, it's gourmet!   Actually, a protein style burger has very few calories and is not IMO bad for you. As for McD's and that ilk, I have "fast food" i.e hamburger habit, in n out, maybe 6 times a year?  ANd would prefer to have a better burger if I am going to have the calories.    I did have McDs after my IM this year though.  Hamburger is gross but the fries and chocolate shake were pretty damn good!  I see nothing wrong with that or Carl's Jr. etc every once in a while, everything in moderation.   Although before weight loss and tris I probably ate Carl's about 1X per week, now I can't recall the last time I did.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-09-14 2:42 PM
2013-09-14 3:24 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

I voted Yuk!

But I guess it depends on people's idea of what 'fast food' is. I consider Subway to be just as unhealthy as a McD burger. Its a super high processed meat product. Its like a hotdog, except they shape it into a 'turkey breast' or 'ham' and slice it. Its not even a real deli (but I'm biased having grown up in the NYC area with real delis on every block).

I love ice cream sundays. I have 1 a month. Fries are so yummy. 4x a year. Pizza is so gooood, but it always makes me feel ill afterwards. I try not to eat it, but my kids love ordering it once a month. Sometimes I resist, but sometimes I can't.

In terms of going to a 'fast-food-restaurant' never. I would seriously have to be starving to drive into McD. However, ask my Hubby and he goes 1 sometimes 2 times a week. Even after watching all those documentaries about what exactly goes into fast-food, he can't resist at all. He takes the kids about 3 times during the year as a treat too.
2013-09-14 3:58 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by ChrisM

In N Out is not fast food, it's gourmet!   Actually, a protein style burger has very few calories and is not IMO bad for you. As for McD's and that ilk, I have "fast food" i.e hamburger habit, in n out, maybe 6 times a year?  ANd would prefer to have a better burger if I am going to have the calories.    I did have McDs after my IM this year though.  Hamburger is gross but the fries and chocolate shake were pretty damn good!  I see nothing wrong with that or Carl's Jr. etc every once in a while, everything in moderation.   Although before weight loss and tris I probably ate Carl's about 1X per week, now I can't recall the last time I did.

I'm the same as Chris - probably 6 times a year at most.  I love the taste of burgers, fries, pizza, shakes, etc, but practice moderation because I strive for balance in all areas of my life.  For me, that means I'm not going to swear the stuff off completely, because I enjoy the taste, but it also means I'm not going to eat it regularly, because I care about my health too.

I practice moderation in excess.  Laughing

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast food Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by 2453V
Views: 6470 Posts: 84

2011-12-23 5:05 PM guppie58

Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast? Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by meatcookie
Views: 6103 Posts: 114

2011-12-20 12:44 PM synthetic

"Healthier" Fast Food Pages: 1 2 3

Started by crazyquick23
Views: 4237 Posts: 68

2010-05-05 6:31 PM mademille

Fast Food Sponsorships Pages: 1 2

Started by CuteKatieBear29
Views: 2759 Posts: 46

2007-10-04 8:46 AM run4yrlif

FAST FOOD

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1094 Posts: 14

2007-02-19 6:54 AM JeepFleeb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?
date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.

date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.
date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
comments : 0
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
You know what you should eat. Yet you just don’t want to. Yuck—whole wheat bread, bran cereal, oatmeal, skim milk, spinach, fish, fruit for snacks and desserts.