Couldn't live without it.2 Votes - [1.15%]

2013-09-17 5:23 PM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Subject: RE: Fast food
Originally posted by iruptacopula

I do triathlons so I can eat whatever I want. So I usually will grab some fast food two or three times a week.

I'm in the same boat as you maybe only 1-2x's a week though. I love to eat almost anything and everything. I use food as a motivation to workout. I am IMO very fit and maintain a mostly healthy eating lifestyle (I'm eating a plate of grilled beets right now) but I have no qualms about stopping at Taco Bell for a few tacos and a quesadilla .

2013-09-17 8:51 PM
in reply to: xatefrogg

User image

Subject: Fast food

Fast food as in eating at an actually F.F. restaurant? Probably 6-8 times a year.  Mostly Taco Bell.  I Love Taco Bell, if there was one here I would have it a lot more. I've actually driven an hour and a half a few times Just for Taco Bell.

But if you include delivery pizza then you can probably up that to about 12 times per year in total.

But if you include a big plate of nachos at the pub then it's at least once a week.

2013-09-17 8:57 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Elite

For the past 4 months i've adopted a No Sugar No Grains lifestyle.  It was a challenge.  Fast food has never really appealed to me except maybe a good pizza.

I now try to avoid any over processed food.  I'd rather have a good steak with fresh salad than a McD's.

2013-09-18 10:29 AM
in reply to: Turnin2

User image

I eat a 6" Subway sandwich for lunch a few times a week, and will indulge in a good cheeseburger after a long run (10+ miles).

2013-09-18 10:47 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Originally posted by noelle1230

Count me in with those that would have to be literally starving to death to eat fast food.  It's been years.  I was stuck going to Wendy's on a road trip about 5 years ago, I wasn't driving and the other 4 people wanted to stop there.  I got a salad and they managed to make even a simple bowl of veggies nasty somehow.  The lettuce was wilty and soft, the tomatoes a very odd color, no dressing choices that weren't full of either MSG, sugar or transfat.

Zero2athlete is a poster here who lost I think a hundred pounds, and trained for and respectably completed IM AZ on mostly McD's diet, maybe he'll jump in here?  Someone even did a little video story on him and showed it at a few local triathlon specific events.  He was kind of like the Jarod for McD's Smile

Here I am!

Yes, it's true. I actually credit the convenience and affordability of fast food with my having lost 100 pounds and train for/complete my first IM. I think the link to the 6 minute film made about me is still in my signature...the blog has been neglected for some time with my increased work load, but I still look like the "after" photos...probably a bit more muscular.

To be clear, fast food didn't just help me lose weight (Like Jarod from subway who lost weight but is still "skinny fat" (although last I saw him, I might not call him skinny anymore...dude is all kinds of jiggly). Fast food helped make me into the athlete I am today... I have to slow down for my friends that are 15 years younger than me - I can out run them, out lift them, out climb them...pretty much anything but out drink them. And quite honestly, watching what people eat to avoid "unhealthy" fast food is eye opening - most people short themselves of important nutrients doing so. Live off of fast food? I wouldn't want to...but when you need a dose of nutrition, it can absolutely provide that.

I voted for "Couldn't live without it."
2013-09-18 10:50 AM
in reply to: mmrocker13

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by mmrocker13

If I am having a hamburger, it's a real hamburger... 8-10 oz. of high quality beef (preferably Kobe), cooked bloody rare in the center.

That being said, I have no issue with fast food. I just don't get all the kerfuffle about it. Is it mass-produced? Sure! Is some of it higher in fat? Sure! Are subway's "chicken breasts" all chicken? maybe! Whatever. I just. don't. care. And all the rage against the DEVIL POISON THAT WILL KILL YOU AND MAKE YOU A SLAVE TO THE MAN IN CORPORATE AMERICA ALONG THE WAY is lost on me.

I don't smoke. I exercise. I wear a seatbelt and a bike helmet. I try and be reasonably moderate in my life choices. At some point you have to draw the line at things that stress you out or that you spend time caring about. I draw the line at having an aneurysm over processed foods. :p

I don't eat out often, not b/c I shun it...simply b/c the occasion just doesn't happen to arise. I do have frozen pizza (a whole one, of course) at least once, if not 2x a week, though.

Same here. Though i routinely eat Jimmy Johns or Subway for lunch during the week. Out of pure laziness.

2013-09-18 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

Subway: 1-2x week
Sushi: 1x week
In N Out (burger): 1x per 3 months
Pizza: 1x month

McD, KFC, BK, Del Taco, Taco Bell: 2x per year

Other random quick service: 1x month

Total probably 3-4x week out of 21 or meals I have per week....so a small % in my view. I usually choose healthiest options....unless I'm drunk or in a huge caloric deficit.

I eat quick service food mostly for convenience and when I don't feel like cooking or cleaning up after cooking. I don't think there is anything wrong with it in moderation and believe it serves a good service to our society, but would like to continue to see healthier options available as well as more appropriate portions and fresher options.

Edited by TriTC 2013-09-18 3:37 PM
2013-09-18 9:13 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Originally posted by jlruhnke

Originally posted by mmrocker13

If I am having a hamburger, it's a real hamburger... 8-10 oz. of high quality beef (preferably Kobe), cooked bloody rare in the center.

That being said, I have no issue with fast food. I just don't get all the kerfuffle about it. Is it mass-produced? Sure! Is some of it higher in fat? Sure! Are subway's "chicken breasts" all chicken? maybe! Whatever. I just. don't. care. And all the rage against the DEVIL POISON THAT WILL KILL YOU AND MAKE YOU A SLAVE TO THE MAN IN CORPORATE AMERICA ALONG THE WAY is lost on me.

I don't smoke. I exercise. I wear a seatbelt and a bike helmet. I try and be reasonably moderate in my life choices. At some point you have to draw the line at things that stress you out or that you spend time caring about. I draw the line at having an aneurysm over processed foods. :p

I don't eat out often, not b/c I shun it...simply b/c the occasion just doesn't happen to arise. I do have frozen pizza (a whole one, of course) at least once, if not 2x a week, though.

Same here. Though i routinely eat Jimmy Johns or Subway for lunch during the week. Out of pure laziness.

You're hiding in my bushes again, aren't you?
2013-09-18 9:15 PM
in reply to: Turnin2

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
Originally posted by Turnin2

Originally posted by Dirt Hucker

I have it maybe once every two or three months. When Five Guys opened here had to try it, get a BK poutine once in awhile if I've had a few too many beverages. Actually, after I've been drinking is usually when I get it, and since I don't drink excessively much anymore, my fast food intake has dropped considerably. And I'll try out places in the States when I go down there.

Now if the question had been "how often to you eat gummy candies" I'd have to confess to multiple times each day.

Ok I LOVE poutine, but what is a BK poutine? Not Burger King is it? Surely in the Great White North, the holy land of gravy and fries, you have amazing poutine coming out of your ears and no way would you stoop to fast food poutine.
I am crushed.

Yes, that would be Burger King. The gravy and fries are nice and salty and the cheese curds are extra squeaky. Better than some I've had in restaurants, to be honest. And now with all the gourmet poutines like lobster poutine, donair poutine, a perogy poutine with perogies instead of fries., there's a lot to choose from.
Mmmmm, I'm thinking poutine post 'cross race tomorrow night.
2013-09-18 11:44 PM
in reply to: Dirt Hucker

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by Dirt Hucker And now with all the gourmet poutines like lobster poutine, donair poutine, a perogy poutine with perogies instead of fries., there's a lot to choose from. Mmmmm, I'm thinking poutine post 'cross race tomorrow night.

Finally.... the ultimate merger of Ukrainian and Quebecois cuisine!

(drooling-homer-simpson.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
drooling-homer-simpson.jpg (30KB - 14 downloads)
2013-09-19 5:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
I haven't had Mcdonald's cheese burger or fries really in almost two years. I did sneak a few fries a couple months ago when my wife really wanted Mcd's. Otherwise it's pretty rare to find us in a "fast food" drive up. We have a local "fast food" Mexican food place here in town but it's actually real Mexican food and not your' "Taco Bell/John's" type of place that we frequent maybe once every couple weeks.

I still love my pizza though.

2013-09-19 9:21 AM

Popeye's. The greatest fast food ever. I feel like crap hours later but I don't care. I'll do it again. I'll eat other fast food once or twice a week, but Popeye's once a month. Glorious spicy fried chicken.
2013-09-19 5:06 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

You are missing the option for infrequently or something like that. 

I eat it a few times a year. Usually on a road trip somewhere. I don't find it Yucky. I don't really ever crave it either. 

2013-09-20 2:21 PM
in reply to: TriTC

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by TriTC Subway: 1-2x week Sushi: 1x week In N Out (burger): 1x per 3 months Pizza: 1x month McD, KFC, BK, Del Taco, Taco Bell: 2x per year Other random quick service: 1x month Total probably 3-4x week out of 21 or meals I have per week....so a small % in my view. I usually choose healthiest options....unless I'm drunk or in a huge caloric deficit. I eat quick service food mostly for convenience and when I don't feel like cooking or cleaning up after cooking. I don't think there is anything wrong with it in moderation and believe it serves a good service to our society, but would like to continue to see healthier options available as well as more appropriate portions and fresher options.

Sushi is fast food? Damn I need to change my answer. I love sushi. Hmm, maybe it is fast food in Vancouver. I eat it at least 3 times a week.

2013-09-24 1:52 PM

User image

As a former obese guy (now merely fat) who used to eat it regularly, I generally avoid fast food now. Part of it is most fast food is loaded with simple carbs (bread/tortillas/wraps/fries) and my body seems to do a whole lot better if I avoid simple carbs and too much sodium. But I also travel a fair amount for business, and eating healthy can get tough when you're away from home and have limited time.

My go-to these days is Chipotle. Still a bit too much sodium, but a burrito bowl with black beans, chicken and salsa (no rice) is reasonable in the calories, fat and carbs department. It would be a whole lot better if I could lay off the cheese, but I've got to indulge a little. Here in Southern California we have Flame Broiler, which has a more Asian-themed bowl (again, I leave the rice out and get extra veggies). Chik-Fil-A is a reasonable option as well (but I miss the carrot raisin salad).

Burgers and fries? About once a month. But it's higher-quality stuff like In-N-Out or Five Guys. Gotta have something greasy and good once in a while.

There are much better choices in fast food than there used to be, and the salads at some of the ff places are pretty decent (the sandwich shops, like Togo's, where they make 'em fresh, do a whole lot better than the pre-made stuff at McD's etc.).

Honestly, I exercise because I like to eat. It's not that I don't enjoy the exercise itself, I do especially mountain biking, but good food and good beer is a pretty good motivator to spend more time on the bike or get in some extra running miles. I'm OK with eating healthy 90 percent (OK, 75 percent) of the time and indulging once in a while.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast food Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by 2453V
Views: 6468 Posts: 84

2011-12-23 5:05 PM guppie58

Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast? Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by meatcookie
Views: 6102 Posts: 114

2011-12-20 12:44 PM synthetic

"Healthier" Fast Food Pages: 1 2 3

Started by crazyquick23
Views: 4236 Posts: 68

2010-05-05 6:31 PM mademille

Fast Food Sponsorships Pages: 1 2

Started by CuteKatieBear29
Views: 2759 Posts: 46

2007-10-04 8:46 AM run4yrlif

FAST FOOD

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1094 Posts: 14

2007-02-19 6:54 AM JeepFleeb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?
date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.

date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.
date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
comments : 0
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
You know what you should eat. Yet you just don’t want to. Yuck—whole wheat bread, bran cereal, oatmeal, skim milk, spinach, fish, fruit for snacks and desserts.