General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does the "Off season" terrify anyone else? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-18 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: Does the "Off season" terrify anyone else?

Just curious on this one.  Finished my last tri of my first full season of tri's last weekend.  Super happy with the season.  Love racing.  Love tri's and running.  All sunshine and light.

Except...

I'm taking a little time after the last race to nurse a tweaky leg to full strength and to really decompress, but I'm concerned that I'm going to decompose!

I didn't work out - AT ALL - the last 3 days and...  and...  and... it feels great!

I'm now officially terrified.  What if this is the new normal?!?

Sure, it'll probably pass and I'll be back at it shortly (probably a sign that I really did NEED some down time - if my leg wasn't telling me that already), but that thought creeps into the back of my tiny little mind and mucks with it.

Anyone else ever feel like that?  How do you deal with it (transitioning to the off season and then back into training - even if it's just base for next year)?  Sign up for races now?  Challenge your friends and training partners to feats of endurance? 

HELP!!!!

Laughing

Matt  (only sorta kidding and sorta serious)

2013-09-18 4:03 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: Does the "Off season" terrify anyone else?

Go to the pool.  Jump in and swim with a pull buoy. 

Nothing too hard.  Nothing too fast.  Nothing too stressful.

Get back into the rythmn a bit but it's important to heal up fully before running / biking / swimming hard.

Just my $0.02.

From "the other" Matt

2013-09-18 4:05 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Oh and my season officially ends hopefully around 7:00 PM on November 17th. 

From that moment, and for at least two weeks, I ain't doin' shyyyt.

2013-09-18 4:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Just curious on this one.  Finished my last tri of my first full season of tri's last weekend.  Super happy with the season.  Love racing.  Love tri's and running.  All sunshine and light.

Except...

I'm taking a little time after the last race to nurse a tweaky leg to full strength and to really decompress, but I'm concerned that I'm going to decompose!

I didn't work out - AT ALL - the last 3 days and...  and...  and... it feels great!

Sure, it'll probably pass and I'll be back at it shortly (probably a sign that I really did NEED some down time - if my leg wasn't telling me that already), but that thought creeps into the back of my tiny little mind and mucks with it.

Anyone else ever feel like that?  How do you deal with it (transitioning to the off season and then back into training - even if it's just base for next year)?  Sign up for races now?  Challenge your friends and training partners to feats of endurance? 

HELP!!!!

Laughing

I'm 3 weeks post knee surgery.  The only thing I'm making a conscious effort to do is eat less since I'm not working out.  I figure a couple more weeks and I'll get back to it.  I'm past the immediate post surgery part that really had me miserable and sick....so now I'm just enjoying watching my kid's swim practices, going to HS cross country meets, and have a 5 day hunting trip planned for next week in Texas.  Life is good. Relax.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-09-18 4:14 PM
2013-09-18 4:25 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I always plan "off season" running races.  I often travel in the winter for a running race, or at least plan to run something in March or April, so I am consistently on a running plan.

I also really enjoy taking classes at the gym, like yoga, so I just generally find ways to tire myself out.

I do usually gain a few lbs, which I am not a fan of.  I am not exactly someone who needs to put on weight, so...   I am going to work on that this winter

Yeah, it's scary but I like to view it as opportunity!  I'd be more scared if I was told I could NOT do any real activity for a while.  I can live without tri training, but I need to do something

2013-09-18 4:25 PM

User image

Seattle

Just embrace it and enjoy because pretty soon you'll be back to work!

I really, really enjoy my time off. But I am always glad to be back at it.

2013-09-18 4:38 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

That kind of happened to me last year... I finished my A race and then... nothing.  Nada.  Zip. Zilch. Zero...  And then I was scrambling to try and get ready for this year.

What did I learn?  That I don't wanna do THAT again!  This year I'm hoping to sign up for some running races in the off season as running is by far my weakest event, do some swimming, do some yoga, maybe some dance classes, keep up with my evil training sessions at the gym... but NOT become the lazy-azz that I did last year. 

2013-09-18 5:05 PM

User image

Pro

Generally, I'm good for a solid week or two of slacking off. Then, I feel like a lazy bum - in a bad way - and find something to work towards!

I've got my last tri Nov 2, then nothing on the schedule until a Ragnar or two in February... which is pretty typical for me.

My goal this winter is to gain some bike fitness, though. Not entirely sure what my plan of attack is - but I've managed to find some great cycling buddies this summer. And I'm considering computrainer classes - or purchasing a computrainer. 

That whole cycling effort does terrify me a bit

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2013-09-18 5:06 PM
2013-09-18 5:06 PM

User image

Pro
DP!

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2013-09-18 5:06 PM
2013-09-18 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
What's off season?  Tongue out
2013-09-18 6:10 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Bwahaha! Matt, you ain't got it in you to chill for too long (pot to kettle, brotha). Doing nothing for three days should feel good after the season you've just had . Get that leg better and get back after it. My guess is you'll be chomping at the bit way before that leg is 100%

2013-09-18 6:30 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Doesn't terrify me at all.  It gives me a chance to try new things, start doing other things I love, let my body recover and rebuild, or simply enjoy no structured training. I think the "off season" or whatever you want to call it is good for the mind, body, and spirit.
2013-09-18 6:42 PM
in reply to: csharp1171

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
I'm looking forward to it I have a good plan in place and a goal to work towards its my first off season so we will see what happens. I planned any early HM so that will keep me motivated.
2013-09-18 6:44 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Race season IS the off season.

After the races are over for the year, you can really get down to business and get some serious training done.
2013-09-18 6:58 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Elite
We dont have much of an off season in Australia - Melbourne Tri season starts November through to March.  There is a full further north in May, a half in WA in June, half and Full in Queensland in June.  July nothing - August can head to Singapore/Indonesia for Metaman full and half - September Sunshine Coast half.  October is quiet!
2013-09-18 7:02 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by LeegoocrapRace season IS the off season.After the races are over for the year, you can really get down to business and get some serious training done.
Word.

2013-09-18 7:14 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Generally, I'm good for a solid week or two of slacking off. Then, I feel like a lazy bum - in a bad way - and find something to work towards!

I've got my last tri Nov 2, then nothing on the schedule until a Ragnar or two in February... which is pretty typical for me.

My goal this winter is to gain some bike fitness, though. Not entirely sure what my plan of attack is - but I've managed to find some great cycling buddies this summer. And I'm considering computrainer classes - or purchasing a computrainer. 

Just ride up Lemmon...lots!  I need to get down there and visit the cookie shack again before that season is over.

I'm racing into December (no A races as it's all bike focus) and then hopefully come January a build to Boston.  What off season?

2013-09-18 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by thebigb

Just ride up Lemmon...lots!  I need to get down there and visit the cookie shack again before that season is over.

I'm racing into December (no A races as it's all bike focus) and then hopefully come January a build to Boston.  What off season?

Language!! This is a family oriented site.

Wink

ETA - not sure what that actually means, but it sounds vaguely dirty.  Laughing

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2013-09-18 8:20 PM
2013-09-18 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

Except...

HELP!!!!

Laughing

I'm 3 weeks post knee surgery.  The only thing I'm making a conscious effort to do is eat less since I'm not working out.  I figure a couple more weeks and I'll get back to it.  I'm past the immediate post surgery part that really had me miserable and sick....so now I'm just enjoying watching my kid's swim practices, going to HS cross country meets, and have a 5 day hunting trip planned for next week in Texas.  Life is good. Relax.

Didn't realize you'd already had surgery - glad the acute portion is over with.  Hope you're back in the saddle soon.

As for a hunting trip, now THAT sounds like a good use of time.  Too bad it's right next to impossible to get on land here in MA…  Gotta wait for sea duck season or get on a river.  Hey, that'd work - a kayak focus!

Heal quickly.

Matt

2013-09-18 8:23 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by switch Bwahaha! Matt, you ain't got it in you to chill for too long (pot to kettle, brotha). Doing nothing for three days should feel good after the season you've just had . Get that leg better and get back after it. My guess is you'll be chomping at the bit way before that leg is 100%

You crack me up.  Laughing

Hope you're right!

Thanks.

Matt

2013-09-18 8:27 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Left Brain

Except...

HELP!!!!

Laughing

Didn't realize you'd already had surgery - glad the acute portion is over with.  Hope you're back in the saddle soon.

As for a hunting trip, now THAT sounds like a good use of time.  Too bad it's right next to impossible to get on land here in MA…  Gotta wait for sea duck season or get on a river.  Hey, that'd work - a kayak focus!

Heal quickly.

Matt

Hmmmmm.... one day we'll need to discuss a trade.  I have some pretty deeeep connections for duck hunting.  I know some boys with a killer timber hole in Arkansas that would love to do a sea duck hunt....I'll just be the broker and handle the dog work. Laughing

I'm headed to Tejas for a teal beatdown.....looks to be set up for a big shoot.

2013-09-18 9:11 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I usually take a month off-off. Then a month or two of whatever I want, when I feel like it. And no. I am more than happy to take time away.
2013-09-18 11:06 PM
in reply to: mmrocker13

I'm looking forward to it. It will be fun doing some simple and fast road races and my wife likes my added time in the weight room.
2013-09-18 11:20 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by thebigb

Language!! This is a family oriented site.

Wink

ETA - not sure what that actually means, but it sounds vaguely dirty.  Laughing

Ha!  Mt Lemmon is in Tucson and is a very popular ride.  Something like 25 miles and a lot of climbing.  At the top there's a cookie shack where you can get amazingly good (maybe heightened because of the trip) huge cookies, pizza, etc.  It's like breaking through the cloud ceiling and finding heaven.  

2013-09-18 11:54 PM
in reply to: thebigb

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does the "Off season" terrify anyone else? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

To off season or not to off season???

Started by molly@rosenblumlawlv
Views: 2070 Posts: 14

2011-08-29 11:26 AM PinkPrincess

Post-Season, Off-Season, Pre-Season Training

Started by richwampler
Views: 1514 Posts: 2

2010-10-01 10:04 AM JohnnyKay

Off-season double-bricks anyone ?

Started by bushmaster1
Views: 723 Posts: 2

2009-11-17 10:48 AM Aikidoman

Off Season Training - Over doing it?

Started by Shortknee1
Views: 935 Posts: 4

2008-08-15 1:08 AM Gerrard

Anyone else doing an early season HIM?

Started by jsnowash
Views: 956 Posts: 6

2008-01-09 3:09 PM jbjboc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : January 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on the off season, maximum amount of days one should be running, heart-rate zone testing and outdoor off season strength workouts.

date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : October 10, 2004
author : Ron
Maintain a two-day-a-week swimming and running routine. If this happens, my 2005 times should be greatly improved in these areas.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.