Other Resources The Political Joe » Anyone actually affected by the shutdown? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-10-02 9:51 AM
in reply to: trinnas

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Anyone actually affected by the shutdown?

Originally posted by trinnas I'm sorry I must have missed the memo stating that now life will always be fair and we will never have to face any challenges; could someone please forward it to me. I know that sounds harsh but there comes a point where you have to stop trying to make everything be ok for everybody, it will never happen!!

agreed. the only way to affect change is to not vote these tea party bozo's back into office. unfortunately we will probably be sending 45+ of the 49 back into office next election season.

I don't understand how people can elect representation that explicitly states their purpose is to not allow the government to function properly because they don't believe in government. Well, they are doing a good job at what they want I guess.

(sorry if this is the wrong thread for this)

2013-10-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by trinnas I'm sorry I must have missed the memo stating that now life will always be fair and we will never have to face any challenges; could someone please forward it to me. I know that sounds harsh but there comes a point where you have to stop trying to make everything be ok for everybody, it will never happen!!

agreed. the only way to affect change is to not vote these tea party bozo's back into office. unfortunately we will probably be sending 45+ of the 49 back into office next election season.

I don't understand how people can elect representation that explicitly states their purpose is to not allow the government to function properly because they don't believe in government. Well, they are doing a good job at what they want I guess.

(sorry if this is the wrong thread for this)

I do believe you misunderstand the spirit of my post. As for Bozos I believe you are either deliberately misstating what they believe or you are rather ignorant of their ideas. I don't know anyone who says they don't believe in government. Some people do not believe that the government should be everything to all people all the time vs those who believe that we, as average citizens, are incapable of living successful lives without their help, their guidance, and their handouts.

Edited by trinnas 2013-10-02 10:01 AM
2013-10-02 10:03 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
I was just speaking to my business partner, who is a researcher at UMKC. He had a meeting this morning with one of his colleagues and the guy broke down in his office. His wife has cancer and was supposed to start a clinical trial with an experimental drug this morning. That trial is postponed due to the shutdown.
2013-10-02 10:08 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Champion
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

I was just speaking to my business partner, who is a researcher at UMKC. He had a meeting this morning with one of his colleagues and the guy broke down in his office. His wife has cancer and was supposed to start a clinical trial with an experimental drug this morning. That trial is postponed due to the shutdown.

I don't believe any of our clinical trials have been postponed due to the shut down.
2013-10-02 10:09 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by velocomp

Personally, whether D or R, I would not vote for a single encumbent.  I would vote them all out and start over.   

this this this this!

2013-10-02 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

49 members of the house are holding the entire country hostage right now.  They threatened their own speaker with not voting for him when he attempted to reach some kind of compromise to get a budget passed before the shutdown.

They threaten more moderate republicans with well funded tea party primary challenges (republicans in firmly republican districts who really face no challenge other than a primary) if they vote to fund the government.

This is in the name of trying to stop a bill that has already been passed by congress and is in effect. When did this become acceptable?

2013-10-02 10:16 AM

User image

Champion

49 members of the house are holding the entire country hostage right now.  They threatened their own speaker with not voting for him when he attempted to reach some kind of compromise to get a budget passed before the shutdown.

They threaten more moderate republicans with well funded tea party primary challenges (republicans in firmly republican districts who really face no challenge other than a primary) if they vote to fund the government.

This is in the name of trying to stop a bill that has already been passed by congress and is in effect. When did this become acceptable?

49 members cannot hold congress or the country hostage that is just a ridiculous statement. There are 435 members of congress, 49 members cannot override much of anything. Seems to me the house passed a budget anyway; it was the senate that had the issue and holds ultimate responsibility for shutting down the government. See how fun the blame game can be??
2013-10-02 10:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by trinnas

49 members cannot hold congress or the country hostage that is just a ridiculous statement. There are 435 members of congress, 49 members cannot override much of anything. Seems to me the house passed a budget anyway; it was the senate that had the issue and holds ultimate responsibility for shutting down the government. See how fun the blame game can be??

The senate has passed a continuing resolution through november. That is what they are going to pass right now. It is obvious, everyone knows it. (Then they can all argue more I guess until it runs out again).

The House has been trying to force the democrats to buckle with a bunch of stunts. The current one is trying to pass bills funding individual parts of the government. The Senate just sends them all back because they will not just fund the goverment in a piecemeal fashion

Edited by dmiller5 2013-10-02 10:26 AM
2013-10-02 10:31 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly I was just speaking to my business partner, who is a researcher at UMKC. He had a meeting this morning with one of his colleagues and the guy broke down in his office. His wife has cancer and was supposed to start a clinical trial with an experimental drug this morning. That trial is postponed due to the shutdown.
I don't believe any of our clinical trials have been postponed due to the shut down.

Depends who is funding them. If it's a drug company, they will proceed. Existing federally funded trials will proceed, but no new patient enrollment. We got notice yesterday of shutdown of services from NIH and NSF.

2013-10-02 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

The senate has passed a continuing resolution through november. That is what they are going to pass right now. It is obvious, everyone knows it. (Then they can all argue more I guess until it runs out again).

The House has been trying to force the democrats to buckle with a bunch of stunts. The current one is trying to pass bills funding individual parts of the government. The Senate just sends them all back because they will not just fund the goverment in a piecemeal fashion

As your bias is clearly showing. How about your senate dems doing their job and passing a budget? I know it has been a few years so they might be rusty at it but it sure would help clean up all this continuing resolution stuff that is so inconvenient for them. 

You should try to move past the partisan BS. It is too easy. The Senate is trying to force the repubs to buckle by not negotiating and walking away from the table like little brats that take the ball home when they don't get their way. 

See how easy that is, and how it does nothing to change the situation or to further the discussion?

2013-10-02 10:34 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Champion
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly I was just speaking to my business partner, who is a researcher at UMKC. He had a meeting this morning with one of his colleagues and the guy broke down in his office. His wife has cancer and was supposed to start a clinical trial with an experimental drug this morning. That trial is postponed due to the shutdown.

Depends who is funding them. If it's a drug company, they will proceed. Existing federally funded trials will proceed, but no new patient enrollment. We got notice yesterday of shutdown of services from NIH and NSF.

Yes that may be It, I believe all of ours are currently on going not new.

2013-10-02 10:43 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Originally posted by Aarondb4

As your bias is clearly showing. How about your senate dems doing their job and passing a budget? I know it has been a few years so they might be rusty at it but it sure would help clean up all this continuing resolution stuff that is so inconvenient for them. 

You should try to move past the partisan BS. It is too easy. The Senate is trying to force the repubs to buckle by not negotiating and walking away from the table like little brats that take the ball home when they don't get their way. 

See how easy that is, and how it does nothing to change the situation or to further the discussion?

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/23/17426960-senate-pas...

Senate passed a budget 6 months ago, but neither side found it necessary to get together in conference to work out the differences. So here we are.
2013-10-02 11:00 AM
in reply to: sbreaux

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by sbreaux

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/23/17426960-senate-pas... Senate passed a budget 6 months ago, but neither side found it necessary to get together in conference to work out the differences. So here we are.

beat me to it

2013-10-02 11:22 AM

User image

Champion

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/23/17426960-senate-pas... Senate passed a budget 6 months ago, but neither side found it necessary to get together in conference to work out the differences. So here we are.

beat me to it

Passing a budget you know will never fly in the house without any intention of actually negotiating is just another example of political brinksmanship but hey it looks good to the fawning base.

2013-10-02 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

beat me to it

Passing a budget you know will never fly in the house without any intention of actually negotiating is just another example of political brinksmanship but hey it looks good to the fawning base.

You could say the same thing about the Republican controlled House budget as well as the bills passed by the House to end the shutdown. It's happening both ways.
2013-10-02 11:32 AM
in reply to: sbreaux

User image

Champion

beat me to it

You could say the same thing about the Republican controlled House budget as well as the bills passed by the House to end the shutdown. It's happening both ways.

Yes it most certainly does.

2013-10-02 1:37 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by TriAya One of our Manatees (mentor group) and her husband work in designated critical federal positions--they still have to work but won't get paid

They will be paid.  Maybe not on time, but they won't miss a dime.

yeah, but their bills are still due on time.

Ok.....but compared to the problems people have who have been out of work for an extended period of time....meh.  Like I said, MY FAMILY is in the same boat....my wife is working and probably will not be paid on time.  I'm sure we'll live. Laughing

For the record, I think the "shutdown" is a joke.....the House is a joke as well.  I don't like Obamacare....but it is the law.  Now fund the govt. you boneheads.

your family may not be in the same boat.  there are families that with both earners on furlough will NOT be able to pay their bills.  be glad you are OK.  it's not so long ago that I was living paycheck to paycheck.  IF i were furloughed i would be OK today but just 7 or 8 years ago it would have caused me problems.

and i agree about the government and the shutdown are a joke.

Look, we're all adults.....lets not act like we will be thrown out on to the streets if we miss our next round of bills.  All that does is add us to the stupid sensationalism of this whole deal.  There is not a single worker for the Federal Govt. who will lose their home or anything else solely over this deal. 

It is funny that you mention losing homes- because the government stopping processing on mortgages is actually impacting a lot of closings from what I'm reading. With rates so volatile and some markets really hot- people are really worried about falling out of contract right now when they can't get final loan paperwork to close. So, while maybe not federal workers- there are people at risk of losing home deals- and if they planned to move out of where they were living- have no where new to move into.

I was just reading them b/c we have an offer in on a short sale. I don't think it impacts us- but a lot of people are in pretty precarious housing situations if they have a closing on a new house and the loan paperwork to sell their old house is not coming through- or if they are just trying to buy.
2013-10-02 1:52 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Originally posted by TriAya One of our Manatees (mentor group) and her husband work in designated critical federal positions--they still have to work but won't get paid

They will be paid.  Maybe not on time, but they won't miss a dime.

yeah, but their bills are still due on time.

Ok.....but compared to the problems people have who have been out of work for an extended period of time....meh.  Like I said, MY FAMILY is in the same boat....my wife is working and probably will not be paid on time.  I'm sure we'll live. Laughing

For the record, I think the "shutdown" is a joke.....the House is a joke as well.  I don't like Obamacare....but it is the law.  Now fund the govt. you boneheads.

your family may not be in the same boat.  there are families that with both earners on furlough will NOT be able to pay their bills.  be glad you are OK.  it's not so long ago that I was living paycheck to paycheck.  IF i were furloughed i would be OK today but just 7 or 8 years ago it would have caused me problems.

and i agree about the government and the shutdown are a joke.

Look, we're all adults.....lets not act like we will be thrown out on to the streets if we miss our next round of bills.  All that does is add us to the stupid sensationalism of this whole deal.  There is not a single worker for the Federal Govt. who will lose their home or anything else solely over this deal. 

It is funny that you mention losing homes- because the government stopping processing on mortgages is actually impacting a lot of closings from what I'm reading. With rates so volatile and some markets really hot- people are really worried about falling out of contract right now when they can't get final loan paperwork to close. So, while maybe not federal workers- there are people at risk of losing home deals- and if they planned to move out of where they were living- have no where new to move into. I was just reading them b/c we have an offer in on a short sale. I don't think it impacts us- but a lot of people are in pretty precarious housing situations if they have a closing on a new house and the loan paperwork to sell their old house is not coming through- or if they are just trying to buy.

And it will all work out.

2013-10-02 2:04 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
All of us in the U.S. are affected, one way or another.
2013-10-02 4:29 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by 1stTimeTri All of us in the U.S. are affected, one way or another.

Are we?  I'm asking this as a typical, uninformed yuppie that probably should pay more attention.  So far my week has gone exactly the way any other week would.

I'd read up on this to be more informed, but I'm too busy waiting on my ferrari I'm entitled to!

2013-10-02 4:48 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by 1stTimeTri All of us in the U.S. are affected, one way or another.

Are we?  I'm asking this as a typical, uninformed yuppie that probably should pay more attention.  So far my week has gone exactly the way any other week would.

I'd read up on this to be more informed, but I'm too busy waiting on my ferrari I'm entitled to!

Dude - all deliveries of ferrari's across state lines have been halted. 

2013-10-02 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Well heck!  Was wondering what was taking so long...

2013-10-02 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I thought it was a delay at the ports... something about the ships from Italy not being able to clear customs?  BAM, you've been impacted by the shutdown!

2013-10-02 9:52 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Elite
Reno
2013-10-03 5:07 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by bootygirl It has not interfered with gun sales, apparently. http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20131002/SPORTS/310020082/Outd...

gun sales are regulated by the states.  only the federal government shut down.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Anyone actually affected by the shutdown? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

If new rules from the "fiscal cliff fiasco" didn't go into affect until 1 Jan...

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 2320 Posts: 13

2013-04-27 8:44 AM GomesBolt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2008
author : davebass63
comments : 1
A blow by blow description of my first triathlon. Let me start by telling you how I planned for it to go. Though here's what actually occurred.