General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit... sweet spot or ever evolving? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-10-07 8:13 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-10-07 8:13 AM

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Bike Fit... sweet spot or ever evolving?
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Leegoocrap
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Leegoocrap So I ask you, if we went back to that tri and I was on my road bike, riding 10% harder (assuming for arguments sake that that's my optimal power position and that it ended up being 5% less cda than my aero position - again, to simplify things) do you think my RUN split would have been faster, slower or the same?

I think your run would be similar.

Just curious as to why? Do you think you (not YOU, just in general) can ride 10% above a 1.00 Intensity Factor and have an optimal run in an Olympic?

Feel like I'm not understanding something about how you see IF as doing 1.00 for an Oly would likely have me fall over at the dismount, let alone try to "run" after that effort. Or ride at 1.10 for about an hour?

Hmm, I was just going by Coggan/Allen's book... an Olympic bike leg you are usually shooting for 95-100% ftp. Although my question would translate to whatever "guide" you were using for pacing. 10% more AVG watts, NP (which basically is IF anyways) or whatever.
2013-10-07 8:15 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion
Knoxville area

Feel like I'm not understanding something about how you see IF as doing 1.00 for an Oly would likely have me fall over at the dismount, let alone try to "run" after that effort. Or ride at 1.10 for about an hour?

Yes, isn't it more like 97% IF for an olympic?

Technically we shouldn't be able to ride 1.10 for an hour should we?

you could probably ride close to 1.1 if you were using your FTP estimate (and had no intention of running afterwards )
2013-10-07 8:26 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion
Knoxville area

Originally posted by Leegoocrap So I ask you, if we went back to that tri and I was on my road bike, riding 10% harder (assuming for arguments sake that that's my optimal power position and that it ended up being 5% less cda than my aero position - again, to simplify things) do you think my RUN split would have been faster, slower or the same?

I think your run would be similar.

Just curious as to why? Do you think you (not YOU, just in general) can ride 10% above a 1.00 Intensity Factor and have an optimal run in an Olympic?
no, no. It's because I feel FTP for a road bike position is DIFFERENT than FTP for a tri bike position. The road position is just a higher number, so you are riding stronger. I don't think you can ride above 1.00 and run well, but that denominator of the IF equation is simply different on a road bike vs. a tri bike.

ahh I see what you're saying, although the question of translation comes into play. I do all my ftp tests on my road bike, and then use the zones/pacing for road AND tri bike. I haven't ran into a problem yet where I needed more power for my tri's (that is to say, IF I could make more power, it wouldn't be doing me any favors in relation to what we think we know about not burning up on the bike and walking/jogging the run...although I admit I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an expert on such things.)

It is tougher to ride crunched down (my position) at FTP for 10+ minutes. It's not tougher to ride below FTP (reasonably below) for 50+ miles (other than the next morning haha)

I should do an FTP test on my Tri bike just to see what the drop off is... I really hate doing FTP tests though

So I guess I'm saying I don't know... does anyone know if I can drill/tap into a Shimano crankarm? Or is it actually "hollow"
2013-10-07 8:28 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Master
Northern IL

Yes, isn't it more like 97% IF for an olympic?

Technically we shouldn't be able to ride 1.10 for an hour should we?

you could probably ride close to 1.1 if you were using your FTP estimate (and had no intention of running afterwards )

Coggan's estimates would be rather high for many. Usually more like 0.90 +/- is more accepted. Exactly where is individual. I do like going by NP more, as he suggested. Slower would likely go lower still.

As far as breaking 1.0 for an hour, some have said they can but it's due to their sprinting or anaerobic ability being notably better on the performance chart than their steady 20 min or longer power. When they put in some bursts they can go over. From that info, I would wonder which would be the better for setting FTP in the first place then.

2013-10-07 8:33 AM

Champion
Knoxville area
p>

Coggan's estimates would be rather high for many. Usually more like 0.90 +/- is more accepted. Exactly where is individual. I do like going by NP more, as he suggested. Slower would likely go lower still.

As far as breaking 1.0 for an hour, some have said they can but it's due to their sprinting or anaerobic ability being notably better on the performance chart than their steady 20 min or longer power. When they put in some bursts they can go over. From that info, I would wonder which would be the better for setting FTP in the first place then.

It also likely has to do with what software you're using. The Olympic from the picture above I had an IF of 1.04

However WKO estimates FTP MUCH closer to real hour power than most FTP tests do. So YMMV

2013-10-07 9:04 AM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tomspharmacy

• let's say that you raised your bars another 5mm and power only went up 5 watts and your cda dropped another 5% to .260,

Hey Tom

Do you believe such a small drop in bars would have that big an impact on power generated ?

2013-10-07 12:23 PM
    in reply to: Coach Gil

Extreme Veteran
    West Michigan

Originally posted by Coach Gil The best fitter you'll ever find is: YOU! Only you know what is comfortable, only you can feel the output (if you don't have a power meter). My humble opinion, and no disrespect to any of the qualified professional fitters out there, is that getting fit for a bike has been blown way out of proportion. I have educated myself to the point that making changes is no longer a just hit n miss scenario. I would be the first to admit I know alot less then many hear on the technical aspects of bike fit, but I know what works for me. I make changes at times. Some work, some don't. Those that work stay. Those that don't, I go back. I make 1 change at a time, beta test for 1-200 miles (or less), and I either am better, the same or worse off then I was before. I recently got more aggressive and took out a head set spacer for a lower profile. This necessitated a slight adjustment to the bars and pads. After 500 miles, it feels great, I am more aero and have picked up some speed while still comfortable. And it was FREE!

I don't profess to understand a lot of the terminology in this thread surrounding power, however I do understand that for me the ideal place to be is the intersection between power and comfort with the one variable being race distance... Meaning I'll forgo comfort for power up to an OLY...HIM and beyond comfort gets the nod..

So my question is, how long is long enough to ride after adjusting if there is still discomfort, new discomfort etc?  Is it possible an initial discomfort after an adjustment could go away?  If we have to "adapt" to discomfort is that always bad? 

I'm personally trying to elmininate hot spots on my feet and have been doing some minor cleat adjustments.  Which I consider just the tip of the iceberg in terms of other comfort adjustments I'll need to make for a 140.6 in '14 or '15...

2013-10-07 12:43 PM

Master
    Northern IL
    Originally posted by brigby1 p>

It also likely has to do with what software you're using. The Olympic from the picture above I had an IF of 1.04 However WKO estimates FTP MUCH closer to real hour power than most FTP tests do. So YMMV

What software is this? I'm still having trouble contemplating running at all with that sort of IF.

2013-10-07 12:57 PM
    in reply to: 0

Champion
    Knoxville area
    ^ Poweragent, sorry.

(To expand on what I meant, My 20' Power is 307 - Coggan/Allen test - so FTP is estimated closer to 29x, but Poweragent measures 4' & 30' power to get an estimate. That # usually ends up closer to TRUE hour power in my experience... but that number is likely not accurate either... hard to know since I've never done a true 1hr test)

Poweragent assumes my FTP is much closer to 240, so it's easier to see how I could ride a 1.04 If my true FTP is somewhere in between or closer to the Coggan/Allen method.

Triathlon... the sport where the more sh*t you buy, the more confusing life gets

Edited by Leegoocrap 2013-10-07 12:58 PM
    2013-10-07 2:05 PM

Extreme Veteran

^ Poweragent, sorry.

(To expand on what I meant, My 20' Power is 307 -

Do you test in that super aggressive position for the full 20' ?

2013-10-07 2:55 PM
    in reply to: marcag

Champion
    Brooklyn, NY
    True or false, in your opinion:

"95% of people can fit 95% of bikes"
    (This is something that a respected bike fitter in my area said to me once).

I think there's a segment of the tri/cyclist population that believes in the "one true bike fit"-- that for any individual, there are only one or two frames that are optimal for their body type. The quote above would suggest otherwise.

While there might be certain people who are better suited to one particular geometry, or, more likely, that a particular brand of frame is poorly-suited to their body, my anecdotal opinion is that it seems like most people can get a nearly-perfect fit on just about any model, assuming it's the right size.

And to the extent that bike fit is constantly evolving and that there isn't really ever a "perfect" fit, that means that there's nothing wrong with, for example, choosing a frame based on the color or the component group.
    2013-10-07 3:01 PM

2013-10-07 3:03 PM
    in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

2013-10-07 3:53 PM

Champion
    Knoxville area

Originally posted by marcag
    Originally posted by Leegoocrap ^ Poweragent, sorry. (To expand on what I meant, My 20' Power is 307 -
    Do you test in that super aggressive position for the full 20' ?

Marc, I think he tests on his road bike, so I would guess the answer is no.

My feeling is that Chris would be best to test in the bike he plans on racing with.

You're right of course, it would be better to do on my tri bike in regards for this scenario (this thread particularly) but I do want the highest numbers in the test so I can zone "optimally." Ideally I'd test for each bike separately, but realistically that's a bit more mentally taxing than I'm up for.

As I said above, I've held 10' sets at ftp (and a bit higher) in aero... but have never buckled down for the full 20min.

If you're willing to compare an inside trainer FTP test to an open road TT (actually closer to 25 minutes) held after a road race (which is obviously flawed in numerous ways) then you'd get about 40 watts difference in favor of the road bike on the trainer.

But again, Fred is right... I should test on my tri bike too.

* as for the fits... I think *most* people could fit on *most* bikes they bought in T-shirt sizes (like I couldn't buy a 64cm bike and be ok, but I could probably ride a 50-58 range at least adequately as far as the general population is concerned.) although you'd get some strange setups on the extreme ends.

For example, Fred looks good riding his Shiv. I tried a Shiv at my LBS and had I been interested I'd have needed an XS with a forearm length stem to get near my Planet X's position or would have had to settle for a massive gain in Stack and loss in reach... (which if you've been following this thread may have been better )

Edited by Leegoocrap 2013-10-07 3:59 PM
    2013-10-07 4:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
    You're right of course, it would be better to do on my tri bike in regards for this scenario (this thread particularly) but I do want the highest numbers in the test so I can zone "optimally."

So your 20' test gives 307.

What do you think you could hit on the 20' in that aggressive position under the same conditions (indoors/outdoors) ?

Edited by marcag 2013-10-07 4:16 PM

2013-10-07 4:48 PM

Champion
    Knoxville area
    If I had to guess... just shy of 290w

When I get my P3 built up I'll take the guess work out of it.
    2013-10-07 6:14 PM

Extreme Veteran

If I had to guess... just shy of 290w

When I get my P3 built up I'll take the guess work out of it.

You're giving up almost 20watts on a 20' test.

How sure are you that position is the right balance between aero and power ?
    2013-10-08 2:38 AM

Champion
    Knoxville area
    I'd say pretty much everyone experiences 2-3% difference between the 2 positions (which is closer to 10 watts in this case)

You asked what I thought I could do, not what I was capable of. Doing a REAL all out 20' test is tougher than (mentally especially) than you seem to be giving it credit for.

There's always room for volunteers. Get on both your bikes, don't sandbag (and don't sit up) and let's see if I'm just a wuss. I think a lot of you guys will be surprised.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2013-10-08 2:46 AM
    2013-10-08 5:36 AM

Champion
    Knoxville area
    It's also important (and very difficult) to say whether those watts are limited because
    a.) the position is limiting the output (biomechanical)
    b.) the lack of time spent attempting to maximize power in the position (specific training) or lack of time in the position as a whole (bike choice) is making the difference.

there's a lot more going on than what makes it a simple "you make less watts for 20' here, your position is the problem." That's what makes it's difficult to make changes and know whether they are better or worse short term.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2013-10-08 5:38 AM
    2013-10-08 7:43 AM

Extreme Veteran

It's also important (and very difficult) to say whether those watts are limited because
    a.) the position is limiting the output (biomechanical)
    b.) the lack of time spent attempting to maximize power in the position (specific training) or lack of time in the position as a whole (bike choice) is making the difference.

there's a lot more going on than what makes it a simple "you make less watts for 20' here, your position is the problem." That's what makes it's difficult to make changes and know whether they are better or worse short term.

I know. I would bet I have spent as much, if not more time than anyone trying to dial in my position and understand the impact on my power. I've rode steep, slack, shorter cranks....you name it, i've tried it.

Yes, I have been in a tunnel, yes I chung regularly, aerolab....measuring frontal area.....I do it because I find it interesting, not because I obsess over .01 on my cda. I am a data and science geek so I find it interesting.

But I always find a way to do testing while getting my normal workouts done.

I am also a believer that there is a line you cross (on the way down) that you are losing. I have a funny feeling you may be close to that line if you haven't already crossed it. The most dialed in guys in triathlon aren't in a position as aggressive as yours. That intrigues me.

You are right that it's more than "you make less watts for 20' here, your position is the problem."
    IF you are producing less watts, you need to figure out the why and whether the less watts is worth the cda saving (if any).

The first thing I posted in this thread was

Originally posted by marcag
    To find the perfect fit you would need to be fitted in a wind tunnel, with a ergometer and a continues blood lactate measurement device :-)

The blood lactate device is so I don't have to do 20' tests in aero position, because maybe I am a wuss, but I don't like them either.

So to answer the title of the thread I think it's ever evolving and the hoopla of fitters is way overdone. There are a handful of fitters that get the whole picture. You should go visit Mat Steinmetz

2013-10-08 8:10 AM

Champion
    Knoxville area
    That's fair

For a random change of topic... how do the fit systems that measure power (retul maybe?) work? Do they just measure "current" power? Avg? Over what course of time?

It's worth mentioning my next position is unlikely to be *as* low as the current one (although still pretty low to compensate somewhat for the high hands) This is more what I'm testing next...

(obree down diver.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    obree down diver.jpg (40KB - 9 downloads)
    2013-10-08 9:26 AM

Extreme Veteran
    Ajo
    Chris,

As evidence for me that I was heading in the wrong direction with going low was that the discrepancy between my road bike 60' FTP and tri bike was pretty large at 30 to 35 watts at one point.... 325 to 295, that was last spring. I had gotten low on my previous bike (there was a 5.25" of saddle to pad top drop, now it's at 4") and while I had decent short duration numbers that matched my road bike for the 1 minute, 5 minute and 10 minute tests... it's that I my watts would precipitously decline for longer term segments b/c my hip flexor would burn like a mofo at the tight angle. Further evidence, is that after being squished up for the time of like Oly length events or longer, I wasn't negative splitting, but losing about 5 to 10% over the race. Another thing was that my right hamstring where I have lower back tissue damage from previous weight lifting injuries (in my 20's) felt like it was being ripped off the bone after an hour and had to deal with the pain or back off the watts.

Anyways, not an advertisement for the SHIV, but when I couldn't place my bars as low as the previous bike and reset my fit... 2 weeks later and the absolute first ride with the bike, I won my first HIM triathlon with best bike split at the lowest effort that I've had at that race before and it set me up for a run that got me home in time for the win. Then I blew away my power numbers at the state TT championships, and then did a great split the next week for the Oly. That being said... I'm happy, my position is less aggressive and my power production is now almost in line with the road bike.

If I made any changes to my setup, it would be to experiment with 165mm crank from the 170mm during the offseason.

I get the impression that you're in doubt, or insistant about being as low as possible... there are some of us that think that maybe you've gotten too far... I understand the dilemna in your mind... I doubted the evidence and advice too, perhaps you'll have to convince yourself during the process of discovery. I think that it's hard to look at TT specialists and think that you can do that too... ALL of those folks that you look at don't have to run afterwards and probably have more miles experience than all of us combined.... plus they have a team of professional advisors, coaches and trainers to look over their shoulder. Keep that in mind.

You have to answer your own question, are you trying to be a TT specialist or triathlete?

I asked before in this thread, what are your definable goals? I know what mine are and I set them back 2 years ago and am finally closer to them than ever before and will have to reset them soon for next year.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2013-10-08 9:41 AM
    2013-10-08 9:40 AM

Champion
    Knoxville area

I asked before in this thread, what are your definable goals? I know what mine are and I set them back 2 years ago and am finally closer to them than ever before and will have to reset them soon for next year.

To push and find those limits. You think I'm past there, I think I'm not. Neither of us has evidence to prove we're right other than n=1.

If we don't go too far, we won't ever know where those limits are.

For my own n=1, I changed my position (to the one above) and set pr's in every distance I raced this year, bike and run and included a few pure Time Trials.
    That doesn't make me right though, and now we're in the most dangerous territory of all, using uncontrolled results as verification.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2013-10-08 9:44 AM
    2013-10-08 9:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
    Ajo

For my own n=1, I changed my position (to the one above) and set pr's in every distance, bike and run and included a few pure Time Trials.
    That doesn't make me right though, and now we're in the most dangerous territory of all, using uncontrolled results as verification.

Good, sounds great...but how do you know that those results aren't a result of improved fitness vs. proper position?

We've got you in the witness stand... LOL
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit... sweet spot or ever evolving? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Sweet spot riding?

Started by erincs
    Views: 2553 Posts: 9

2012-10-01 10:03 PM colinphillips

Sweet Spot?

Started by TriMan25
    Views: 826 Posts: 1

2012-06-09 3:19 PM TriMan25

running - is there a cadence "sweet spot"?

Started by michael_runs
    Views: 1412 Posts: 7

2012-04-24 10:20 PM Neek-neek

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
    Views: 3329 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

Fastest Bike Fit Ever!!!!

Started by jason.baross
    Views: 1523 Posts: 9

2010-04-12 7:23 PM TriMyBest
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : January 8, 2010
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 1
    I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
    comments : 0
    I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
    date : May 11, 2009
    Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : January 5, 2009
    author : AMSSM
    I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.
    date : April 14, 2008
    The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : August 7, 2007
    author : AMSSM
    What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
    date : August 7, 2007
    author : sportfactory
    Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
    author : sportfactory
    Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.