General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit... sweet spot or ever evolving? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-10-08 9:49 AM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Bike Fit... sweet spot or ever evolving?
Originally posted by tomspharmacy

Good, sounds great...but how do you know that those results aren't a result of improved fitness vs. proper position?

Exactly!
Hopefully they are both, but we both know that those kind of results don't prove that.

So now we're back to Marc's suggestion

2013-10-08 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

As evidence for me that I was heading in the wrong direction with going low was that the discrepancy between my road bike 60' FTP and tri bike was pretty large at 30 to 35 watts at one point.... 325 to 295, that was last spring. I had gotten low on my previous bike (there was a 5.25" of saddle to pad top drop, now it's at 4")

Thanks Tom,

What is the discrepancy now between road and tri ?

Do you think there is a tipping point where you lose the most power ....in your case somewhere between 4 and 5.25".

That's only 1.25" or say 3cm.According to cervelo, that 3 cm is worth 4.5watts. Sounds like you gave up 4.5 watts of aero for many more watts of power.
2013-10-08 2:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Originally posted by marcag

As evidence for me that I was heading in the wrong direction with going low was that the discrepancy between my road bike 60' FTP and tri bike was pretty large at 30 to 35 watts at one point.... 325 to 295, that was last spring. I had gotten low on my previous bike (there was a 5.25" of saddle to pad top drop, now it's at 4")

Thanks Tom,

What is the discrepancy now between road and tri ?

Do you think there is a tipping point where you lose the most power ....in your case somewhere between 4 and 5.25".

That's only 1.25" or say 3cm.According to cervelo, that 3 cm is worth 4.5watts. Sounds like you gave up 4.5 watts of aero for many more watts of power.

Well, I only figured this out this summer after I purchased the SHIV and had about 1 week with the previous bike side by side, Valdora PHX2. I looked at my fitting paper by a FIST certified fitter, and simultaneously measuring the angles on the road bike, the Valdora and the SHIV. On my road bike I was powerful, but there was a loss of power on the Valdora.

I'll try to make this short...

My Valdora angles were off of what my original FIST settings on paper. I had fidgeted with my bike so much to get aero as possible, thinking that was the avenue to speed. I knew that I was getting more speed and power, b/c when I road my road bike... I was producing good numbers and turning the same gears that I was turning on the Valdora despite being up on the hoods and less aero.

So, anyways, I discovered 2 things during this measuring process... to get aero on the Valdora, not only did I lower the bars and everything else, got a negative stem, BUT I also had raised the seat about 1 cm, and of course way forward. BUT, I was not getting any faster, just more aero and more uncomfortable. So, I put the SHIV together with the original FIST settings and put a GENOMONITER (sic?) app on my ipad and measured my angles again, then measured my Valdora angles... I was WAY off the mark on the Valdora. I dialed in my SHIV and no prior rides (I bought it and got it about 2 weeks before my Aug 11th HIM), no time on it, except in the house to make sure all my measurements were good. I went to the race and won, with the 4th fastest bike split. This convinced right there that it wasn't about going low as possible, since my power was always there, I couldn't access it.

Then, on Sept 15th, I did the 40k TT and got a new wattage PR of 315w / 320 np, then 1 week later I got 300w / 312 np at the Oly race with the fastest bike split,

To answer your question... my delta between the road and tri bike is now about 10 watts from around 35 watts. In this case, I gladly gave up a few percentage points of aero for watts. I just wish I had a better wheelset.

Another thing that I've worked on too is my back position and turtling better... I noticed that in the Oly race that when I concentrated on a flat back and turtling... my speed jumped higher by about 1/4 to 1/3 mph. But as you probably know... when you get tired, you scrunch up, so I've got to concentrate more and that's tiring, but I'm still learning and practicing.

I could experiment with going lower on the SHIV with 165mm crank arms from 170mm, that'd get me lower by another cm (or higher in the saddle by 1 cm), but that's an expensive experiment. You did that... what was your results? and what is your opinion about the crank arms?

Edited by tomspharmacy 2013-10-08 2:47 PM
2013-10-08 2:46 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

BUT I also had raised the seat about 1 cm, and of course way forward.

woah! by a Centimeter??
2013-10-08 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Well, a mm here and a mm there and you end up way off. I guess that's the moral of the story... should have said this earlier, trying to pass along some experience with the mindset of going low...spared you of all the gory details.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2013-10-08 2:57 PM
2013-10-08 3:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I could experiment with going lower on the SHIV with 165mm crank arms from 170mm, that'd get me lower by another cm (or higher in the saddle by 1 cm), but that's an expensive experiment. You did that... what was your results? and what is your opinion about the crank arms?

I went from 172.5 to 165 cranks, so 7.5mm. I raised the seat by 7.5mm. But it's the equivalent of going up by 1.5cm at the top of the pedal cycle.

It mad no difference to me. I am not even sure I could feel the difference.

The fact it made no difference in my ability to generate power leads me to believe it's not my closed hip angle that is my limiter.

I also have a 10watts road to tri bike difference.

2013-10-08 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Originally posted by marcag

I went from 172.5 to 165 cranks, so 7.5mm. I raised the seat by 7.5mm. But it's the equivalent of going up by 1.5cm at the top of the pedal cycle.

It mad no difference to me. I am not even sure I could feel the difference.

The fact it made no difference in my ability to generate power leads me to believe it's not my closed hip angle that is my limiter.

What is your "closed" hip angle? Have you measured it? I believe in the no lower than 90 degrees rule.

From what I've read from scientific study and now Cervelo, is that a shorter crank doesn't make you more powerful and neither less, but should open up the hip angle... and make the rider inturn more aero because of the higher seat. It sounds logical. But not from a power standpoint, did you get a bump in speed, that would determine whether you became more aero?

On a side note... I'm getting more interested in lowering my crr... that's less expensive and could have just as good a benefit as spending uber $$$ on cranks and bars. Again, I wish that I had a better wheelset so that I could experiment with 25's on wide aero wheels vs. my skinny chinese aluminum clinchers with 23's.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2013-10-08 3:13 PM
2013-10-08 3:13 PM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-08 3:16 PM

2013-10-08 3:16 PM

Champion
Knoxville area

From what I've read from scientific study and now Cervelo, is that a shorter crank doesn't make you more powerful and neither less, but should open up the hip angle... and make the rider inturn more aero because of the higher seat. It sounds logical. But not from a power standpoint, did you get a bump in speed, that would determine whether you became more aero?

On a side note... I'm getting more interested in lowering my crr... that's less expensive and could have just as good a benefit as spending uber $$$ on cranks and bars. Again, I wish that I had a better wheelset so that I could experiment with 25's on wide aero wheels vs. my skinny chinese aluminum clinchers with 23's.

sort of. You raise your seat because you lowered your cockpit, you go to shorter crankarms because once you do those two things you have pinched your hip angle.

on CRR you are still better off with 23's than 25's due to the aerodynamic hit you take from the wide shape. Even though Zipp says FC wheels were made to be used with 25mm tires, they don't claim they are optimal with them.

In 0 / low yaw situations, even narrower tires / rims generally hold up well / exceed their bigger brethren. Sweeps get iffy though.
2013-10-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

2013-10-08 4:26 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Originally posted by Fred D

23mm Conti GP 4000S. Final answer.

That's what everyone says...

I use michelin pro 4 service course with basic kenda tubes, would I see an improvement with the gp 4000s? and what if I used them with the michelin latex tubes that I have but never used yet?

I'm kind of timid to change b/c I like the michelin's for the durability and grip... knock on wood.

What about the new s-works turbo 23's or 24's?

Now, Schwalbe has a new Ironman tire that shows good results, acc. to crr master Tom A.?

I have an A race in 2 weeks, should I convert now?

2013-10-08 5:18 PM

Champion
Knoxville area
the 23mm 4000s' have "magic" aero properties with wider (and by wider I mean sweeping generalization of non 19mm wide HED/ZIPP/etc wheels.) wheels. Nobody's 100% sure why, but they are fast.

If you install latex correctly, there is some evidence that they are MORE durable than butyl tubes (small % less chance of pinch flats) and they are definitely faster. 99.9% of the issues people have with latex is getting in a hurry when you are installing them.
2013-10-08 5:45 PM

2013-10-08 5:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
SNAP!!!

I guess that I'll pick up a pair of contis and carefully install the latex. At least I have 4 latex tubes, so I can mess up at least one or two.
2013-10-08 6:07 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by tomspharmacy SNAP!!! I guess that I'll pick up a pair of contis and carefully install the latex. At least I have 4 latex tubes, so I can mess up at least one or two.

Carefully check your rim tape before the latex tube even gets a sniff of the wheel!  

2013-10-08 7:27 PM

Extreme Veteran

Marc, do you mean it made no difference in your speed and power. I've known for many years about the shorter crank theory allowing more 'drop' from the seat to the aerobars, but I've been skeptical about real speed gains. What are your thoughts? also what do you think is holding back your power numbers?

It has no impact on my power. Speed is another beast. I think raising my butt 1.5 cm will have very little impact on my cda. Without a tunnel, I don't think it's even measurable given all the 'noise' during field testing

also what do you think is holding back your power numbers?

Hard work :-)

Seriously, I think more time riding hard is what I need most. Many people have a lot of optimization they can do ALONG WITH hard work. I think I am somewhat optimized and just need to work harder. Problem is I need to do this across 3 sports (and nutrition and weight and.....). So little time, so much to do.
2013-10-08 8:22 PM

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by tomspharmacy SNAP!!! I guess that I'll pick up a pair of contis and carefully install the latex. At least I have 4 latex tubes, so I can mess up at least one or two.

Definitely do it!  Below is from Tom Anhalt's Blather 'bout Bikes site. The GP4000s w/latex measured ~9W per pair less than the Mich Pro4 SC with Latex, ~7W less than the Mich Pro4 Comp SC.  The GP4000s with butyl tubes measured 8W more than the latex tubes.  If the Mic Pro4 SC with butyl tubes are ~8W more than that's in the neighborhood of 16W (+/-) coming your way.

Originally posted by tomspharmacy  Now, Schwalbe has a new Ironman tire that shows good results, acc. to crr master Tom A.? 
The Tubular was a top tire, the tubeless was on pair with the GP4000S/latex and the clincher was about as good as GP4000s with butyl.

Originally posted by axteraa

Carefully check your rim tape before the latex tube even gets a sniff of the wheel!  

I'd say even replace it.  In my last race I came back to T to get my bike after the race and my front tire was flat.  Later inspected it and found a tiny hole on the rim tape side. Lined it up again in the wheel and there was the tiniest pin hole in the tape over a spoke hole that the tube found its way into.  I swear it wasn't there when I last inspected the tape!

2013-10-08 11:47 PM
in reply to: Donto

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Originally posted by Donto

Definitely do it!  Below is from Tom Anhalt's Blather 'bout Bikes site. The GP4000s w/latex measured ~9W per pair less than the Mich Pro4 SC with Latex, ~7W less than the Mich Pro4 Comp SC.  The GP4000s with butyl tubes measured 8W more than the latex tubes.  If the Mic Pro4 SC with butyl tubes are ~8W more than that's in the neighborhood of 16W (+/-) coming your way.

Originally posted by tomspharmacy  Now, Schwalbe has a new Ironman tire that shows good results, acc. to crr master Tom A.? 
The Tubular was a top tire, the tubeless was on pair with the GP4000S/latex and the clincher was about as good as GP4000s with butyl.

Originally posted by axteraa

I'd say even replace it.  In my last race I came back to T to get my bike after the race and my front tire was flat.  Later inspected it and found a tiny hole on the rim tape side. Lined it up again in the wheel and there was the tiniest pin hole in the tape over a spoke hole that the tube found its way into.  I swear it wasn't there when I last inspected the tape!

DOUBLE SNAP!!!

What kind of rim tape do you all recommend? I think that it's got ritchey tape from the purchase 2 years ago, never payed attention... got no problems with it currently.

2013-10-09 3:08 AM

Champion
Knoxville area
always use velox cloth rim tape. It's the best by far.
If you ever get nervous, you can run a layer of packing tape over top of your rim tape so you know things are smooth. I've done that before on wheels that don't need/use rim tape (non-spoked discs / H3's)
2013-10-09 6:21 AM

2013-10-09 9:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

Originally posted by tomspharmacy[DOUBLE SNAP!!!What kind of rim tape do you all recommend? I think that it's got ritchey tape from the purchase 2 years ago, never payed attention... got no problems with it currently.
. Sorry I should have specified 5-8w per wheel. If your rim tape is smooth I wouldn't even bother to change it. I haven't and I've been using the same Zipp 404s since 2008. The wattage benefit for good tires and latex tubes can be a huge difference, and yet people seem to have such a hard time believing that this is a real effect! People will spend $2K on race wheels and then run butyl tubes with crappy tires.... This discussion is also very similar to the aero discussions we have on this board, where people simply don't BELIEVE the benefit applies to them at a slower speed etc. the rolling resistance issues are even more important at slower speeds, just like aero. Good luck!

I'll admit that I didn't give the tires too much serious thought. I was more interested in durability and reliability. Since the wheelset came with Michelin, I stuck with them. I had read about faster tires but just went about my business.

I had rented Zipp 606 combo for St. George that came with Michelin Pro 4 SC tires, I didn't feel that it made a difference, except being more stable than my wheels.

I'll know if the tires had any effect since I plan to ride at a specific power range and a hit the expected speed, if I go that speed on less watts, it'll be b/c of tires, if I go faster on the specified watts then I'll know it's b/c of the tires. I know this course like the back of my hand, so I'll have my power meter and my butt meter to assess. I'll report back.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2013-10-09 9:35 AM
2013-10-09 10:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
What tire pressure?

I'm 173-174 with bike in race setup. I've always run about 100 with the michelins.
2013-10-09 10:44 AM

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

What tire pressure?
I'm 173-174 with bike in race setup. I've always run about 100 with the michelins.

A complicated question, there is no one universal answer. Different days, weather, roads, conditions, speeds, temps require different pressures. But if you run the same width tire front and rear, you want at least a 7-10 lb psi difference between front and rear wheels.

2013-10-09 3:20 PM

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Originally posted by tomspharmacy What tire pressure? I'm 173-174 with bike in race setup. I've always run about 100 with the michelins.
My race weights about the same. The local sprint races have had most of the roads repaved in recent years and I ride with 105ish. On the rougher roads that I train on I ride with 90ish. I should add I usually put an extra pump or two in the rear tire.

Edited by Donto 2013-10-09 3:22 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit... sweet spot or ever evolving? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Sweet spot riding?

Started by erincs
Views: 2550 Posts: 9

2012-10-01 10:03 PM colinphillips

Sweet Spot?

Started by TriMan25
Views: 820 Posts: 1

2012-06-09 3:19 PM TriMan25

running - is there a cadence "sweet spot"?

Started by michael_runs
Views: 1401 Posts: 7

2012-04-24 10:20 PM Neek-neek

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3322 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

Fastest Bike Fit Ever!!!!

Started by jason.baross
Views: 1514 Posts: 9

2010-04-12 7:23 PM TriMyBest
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : January 5, 2009
author : AMSSM
I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.
date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.