Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2013-12-11 3:49 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge
Originally posted by switch

I got my MRI results back yesterday, and they were negative.  There's evidence of an old ligament injury, but nothing else.  Yay!

I'm leaving in a few days, and have really dialed back my training and intensity which I am going to keep very low while I'm traveling as well.  My goal is to get rested--physically and mentally--and get this leg healed for good.  Really looking forward to get healthy and coming back with a plan and some control. 

Make sure you bring some really light summer clothes. Our first streak of 100+ days starts this week and they normally head straight to South Austrlia after they have been here. It's expected to be up around that temp from torrow until mid next week at least.

2013-12-11 8:42 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pro
NJ

Elesa, good news on the MRI. Hopefully you continue to recover. It sounds like you're being smart about adapting the holiday training plans.

Adrienne, good luck this weekend. It sounds like an incredible group....running rockstars.

I finally got my 20 minute test done. It was ugly, but that's to be expected if done well. My FTP/kg is still much lower than I'd hoped (2.63) but it has improved, so I'll take it.  Most importantly, it resulted in me setting my targets properly on TR so I don't coast through the workouts.  Now to just get some consistent trainer time on the books through the winter. 

2013-12-11 9:27 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by kcarroll

Elesa, good news on the MRI. Hopefully you continue to recover. It sounds like you're being smart about adapting the holiday training plans.

Adrienne, good luck this weekend. It sounds like an incredible group....running rockstars.

I finally got my 20 minute test done. It was ugly, but that's to be expected if done well. My FTP/kg is still much lower than I'd hoped (2.63) but it has improved, so I'll take it.  Most importantly, it resulted in me setting my targets properly on TR so I don't coast through the workouts.  Now to just get some consistent trainer time on the books through the winter. 

I am absolutely dreading my FTP re-test, and it's almost a month away.  I'm still using my old TR FTP (Nov 2012!) and it seems to be working for my limited cycling right now, but we'll see when I add volume.  I have a feeling I'll push it up a little during the test.

2013-12-11 9:54 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I am absolutely dreading my FTP re-test, and it's almost a month away.  I'm still using my old TR FTP (Nov 2012!) and it seems to be working for my limited cycling right now, but we'll see when I add volume.  I have a feeling I'll push it up a little during the test.

I'm doing my FTP test next week.  I absolutely killed my workout last night, so I feel pretty good about it right now.

2013-12-11 10:12 AM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

I'm just going to keep (educated) guessing for a little while longer.

2013-12-11 10:18 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle
Our coach emailed us yesterday and let us know he wanted us to do our sharpening workout yesterday instead of today. I had already gotten my workout in but I wasn't about to tell him no. I also didn't really have proper attire. There is Nothing quite like doing a very hard quality session in freakin' sweatpants and dress socks...

2013-12-11 12:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Hah, I'm kind of doing that....and/or putting off taking the test!  I'm doing the Tour of Sufferlandria in late January and day 1 starts with an FTP test....so I've been trying to decide if I should just do one now and sandbag that one....or put this one off and really go after that one (which then, of course, sets me up for a very hard week of suffering!).

Nice work on your 20 minute test, Kim!  The gains will come with consistent training.

2013-12-11 12:37 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Congrats to all of you HTFUing and doing your FTP tests!

Day three in a row for me...3100y in the pool at "lunchtime" (10:30am). Feeling better about training since I'm actually doing some--reinforces why I need to be active (to be happy!).
2013-12-11 2:24 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Hah, I'm kind of doing that....and/or putting off taking the test!  I'm doing the Tour of Sufferlandria in late January and day 1 starts with an FTP test....so I've been trying to decide if I should just do one now and sandbag that one....or put this one off and really go after that one (which then, of course, sets me up for a very hard week of suffering!).

Nice work on your 20 minute test, Kim!  The gains will come with consistent training.

Ben, I'd bet your "guess" is pretty spot on. Of course, when number is that high your estimate can be "wrong' and still be pretty close.   Your power numbers are impressive. I can be off by 10 watts and it makes a big difference percentage-wise. The only thing I have going for me on the bike is weight. Doesn't help on flats or the trainer but I can scoot up hills pretty easily.

Nicole, I'm going to do the Tour of S again this year.  The goal this time will be to actually complete all the stages.  I don't remember how many I missed last year but I know I didn't get through the entire week.  Mike, I don't know what program you're following but you should consider joining us. As I recall there is some major HTFU required there at the end.

2013-12-11 2:26 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by drfoodlove Congrats to all of you HTFUing and doing your FTP tests! Day three in a row for me...3100y in the pool at "lunchtime" (10:30am). Feeling better about training since I'm actually doing some--reinforces why I need to be active (to be happy!).

Gretchen, congrats on Day 3. 3100y in the pool is solid! 

2013-12-11 2:35 PM

User image

Seattle

Ben, I'd bet your "guess" is pretty spot on. Of course, when number is that high your estimate can be "wrong' and still be pretty close.   Your power numbers are impressive. I can be off by 10 watts and it makes a big difference percentage-wise. The only thing I have going for me on the bike is weight. Doesn't help on flats or the trainer but I can scoot up hills pretty easily.

Nicole, I'm going to do the Tour of S again this year.  The goal this time will be to actually complete all the stages.  I don't remember how many I missed last year but I know I didn't get through the entire week.  Mike, I don't know what program you're following but you should consider joining us. As I recall there is some major HTFU required there at the end.

Ok, I always forget exactly what the FTP is. Is it like a 20 minute max effort test or something? Close?

2013-12-11 2:43 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Ok, I always forget exactly what the FTP is. Is it like a 20 minute max effort test or something? Close?

It's the theoretical power that you can hold for an hour.  It's a pretty big benchmark in the world for cycling.  There's a number of ways you can test it, but the 20 minute test is among the most popular.

2013-12-11 2:44 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Functional Threshold Power. Kinda like Threshold Pace. A 20 minute test is a common way to estimate it.

2013-12-11 6:36 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed Our coach emailed us yesterday and let us know he wanted us to do our sharpening workout yesterday instead of today. I had already gotten my workout in but I wasn't about to tell him no. I also didn't really have proper attire. There is Nothing quite like doing a very hard quality session in freakin' sweatpants and dress socks...

...and carrying a bag of McNuggets.

2013-12-11 6:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

What? Salty didn't tell you to STFU and just do it??

And what's with Ben cowering and saying he's not going to do an FTP test? (even if he could probably tell us what it is to the o.1)

What is this world coming to??

(cats and dogs sleeping together...what's next?)

good job Killing that workout, Matt!

I got 'er done today. Up at 5am to get dressed for 19degrees and a 7 miler before work. Can't have my wife give me grief for going running when I get home from work. Early AM workouts have always been the compromise in the past, as long as I can get my sorry a** out the door...

Treated bright stars and then a spectaculiar sunrise-breathtaking mauve declaring that 'sailors should take warning'

Edited by dtoce 2013-12-11 6:59 PM
2013-12-11 8:35 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dtoce

What? Salty didn't tell you to STFU and just do it?? And what's with Ben cowering and saying he's not going to do an FTP test? (even if he could probably tell us what it is to the o.1) What is this world coming to?? (cats and dogs sleeping together...what's next?) good job Killing that workout, Matt! I got 'er done today. Up at 5am to get dressed for 19degrees and a 7 miler before work. Can't have my wife give me grief for going running when I get home from work. Early AM workouts have always been the compromise in the past, as long as I can get my sorry a** out the door... Treated bright stars and then a spectaculiar sunrise-breathtaking mauve declaring that 'sailors should take warning'

I've had a lot of trouble with work right at or over threshold. I can get through the workouts ok at times, but recovery is *really* long. It can mess up an entire week afterward. So I just stick with doing more lower Z4 work for the most part. This is both pushing up power and helping to get stronger to tolerate some higher effort work from time to time. I've probably linked the fast-cat graph plenty of times already.  I don't quite know why it's happening, but this does seem to be fixing things. So long as I'm patient with it.

Guessing Adrienne didn't say anything because it's cycling instead of running. So Mike, quit being a pu see and HTFU! 

Attachments
----------------
Notapusy.jpeg (8KB - 10 downloads)

2013-12-12 10:05 AM

User image

Seattle
Thanks Ben... AGAIN. Sheesh I'm slipping. Now STFU and HTFU. Mike, serrriouuusly STFU!
2013-12-12 11:02 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

What's the Tour of Sufferlandria?

2013-12-12 11:02 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by StaceyK

I got my MRI results back yesterday, and they were negative.  There's evidence of an old ligament injury, but nothing else.  Yay!

I'm leaving in a few days, and have really dialed back my training and intensity which I am going to keep very low while I'm traveling as well.  My goal is to get rested--physically and mentally--and get this leg healed for good.  Really looking forward to get healthy and coming back with a plan and some control. 

Make sure you bring some really light summer clothes. Our first streak of 100+ days starts this week and they normally head straight to South Austrlia after they have been here. It's expected to be up around that temp from torrow until mid next week at least.

Thanks Stacey!  I am soooo ready for hot.  Yay!

2013-12-12 11:04 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Gooooooooooooooooooooo Salty!

I have probably thought about your race five times this morning :)  I am SO excited for you! Have an awesome trip and a great race, my friend. xo.

2013-12-12 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

What's the Tour of Sufferlandria?

It's some crazy challenge the Sufferfest folks do...basically you do every video in a span of like 10 days or something.  That usually means a bunch of two-a-days.  Given they've launched like 5-6 more videos since last year it'll probably be a bit longer.  I think they track it on TR.

2013-12-12 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Asalzwed Thanks Ben... AGAIN. Sheesh I'm slipping. Now STFU and HTFU. Mike, serrriouuusly STFU!

Wait.  Now I'm supposed to STFU AND HTFU?  Honestly, I could use a little of both anyway. 

2013-12-12 11:18 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

OK, I know STFU; what's HTFU?
2013-12-12 11:20 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

And the cold has finally shown up in VT. 11F, and got in a 2.68 mile run in. It's the first time to be this cold, and I overdressed! One too many layers.
2013-12-12 11:56 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by el penguino

OK, I know STFU; what's HTFU?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=htfu

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  

of 53

RELATED POSTS

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVIII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35323 Posts: 1084

2008-06-03 8:15 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35260 Posts: 957

2008-05-20 8:51 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVI) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 34110 Posts: 1003

2008-05-08 9:14 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XV) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35687 Posts: 1005

2008-04-27 6:23 PM lastcall2003

The Mike Ricci July Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by vortmax
Views: 5569 Posts: 61

2006-08-02 3:35 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
It sounds like you have a very common condition that many runners and triathletes experience called patello-femoral pain syndrome. We have seen that runners with core weakness experience this.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : March 21, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
March BeginnerTriathlete of the Month Interview with Mike Ricci

date : June 4, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 2
One year ago I weighed 238 lbs. and got winded walking up one flight of stairs - literally. I ran across a brochure for a triathlon...hmm. It seemed like an impossible task, but I was intrigued.
date : May 16, 2005
author : infosteward
"After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."

date : April 17, 2005
author : Team BT
How to be a BOPer or MOPer in a FOPer world. As a middle of the pack athlete, I have adopted some things I do to assure a victorious feeling at every event I finish.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you turn a weakness into strength? It begins with effecting a fundamental change to your triathlete self-image.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!