Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2013-12-12 12:03 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Asalzwed Thanks Ben... AGAIN. Sheesh I'm slipping. Now STFU and HTFU. Mike, serrriouuusly STFU!

Wait.  Now I'm supposed to STFU AND HTFU?  Honestly, I could use a little of both anyway. 

and we are probably going to need a new challenge thread

2013-12-12 12:12 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by switch

Gooooooooooooooooooooo Salty!

I have probably thought about your race five times this morning   I am SO excited for you! Have an awesome trip and a great race, my friend. xo.

Aweeee you are so sweet! Yeah, I am super excited as well. We leave this afternoon and it looks like we will hit snow today and tomorrow in Bend which I am SO excited for!!!!

We preview the course tomorrow. 

2013-12-12 12:14 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

Oh my goodness. I think I am going to NOT run today! Gasp. It's probably been more than a hundred days since that has happened.

2013-12-12 12:16 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by kcarroll

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by brigby1

I'm just going to keep (educated) guessing for a little while longer.

Hah, I'm kind of doing that....and/or putting off taking the test!  I'm doing the Tour of Sufferlandria in late January and day 1 starts with an FTP test....so I've been trying to decide if I should just do one now and sandbag that one....or put this one off and really go after that one (which then, of course, sets me up for a very hard week of suffering!).

Nice work on your 20 minute test, Kim!  The gains will come with consistent training.

Ben, I'd bet your "guess" is pretty spot on. Of course, when number is that high your estimate can be "wrong' and still be pretty close.   Your power numbers are impressive. I can be off by 10 watts and it makes a big difference percentage-wise. The only thing I have going for me on the bike is weight. Doesn't help on flats or the trainer but I can scoot up hills pretty easily.

Nicole, I'm going to do the Tour of S again this year.  The goal this time will be to actually complete all the stages.  I don't remember how many I missed last year but I know I didn't get through the entire week.  Mike, I don't know what program you're following but you should consider joining us. As I recall there is some major HTFU required there at the end.

What's the Tour of Sufferlandria?

It's some crazy challenge the Sufferfest folks do...basically you do every video in a span of like 10 days or something.  That usually means a bunch of two-a-days.  Given they've launched like 5-6 more videos since last year it'll probably be a bit longer.  I think they track it on TR.

Hmmmmm.  Do you need the videos to do it, or can you just do the workouts on TR? Not that i'm thinking about doing it or anything...what's that over there?

2013-12-12 12:18 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I have probably thought about your race five times this morning :)  I am SO excited for you! Have an awesome trip and a great race, my friend. xo.

Aweeee you are so sweet! Yeah, I am super excited as well. We leave this afternoon and it looks like we will hit snow today and tomorrow in Bend which I am SO excited for!!!!

Have you run on snow with spikes before?!? 

If you take pics and have time to post them (NO PRESSURE) that would be cool, but totally understand if you're keeping your head in the game and don't want to mess with that.  Just know we'll all be thinking about you.  OhmygoshI'mseffingexcited.

2013-12-12 12:23 PM

User image

Seattle

I have probably thought about your race five times this morning   I am SO excited for you! Have an awesome trip and a great race, my friend. xo.

If you take pics and have time to post them (NO PRESSURE) that would be cool, but totally understand if you're keeping your head in the game and don't want to mess with that.  Just know we'll all be thinking about you.  OhmygoshI'mseffingexcited.

Hellllz no I haven't run with spikes in the snow. I live in Seattle!

I'll take lots of pics but I won't be able to post them remotely. I *could* text them to you to post

2013-12-12 12:24 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Hellllz no I haven't run with spikes in the snow. I live in Seattle!

I'll take lots of pics but I won't be able to post them remotely. I *could* text them to you to post

That would make me feel special

2013-12-12 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

It's some crazy challenge the Sufferfest folks do...basically you do every video in a span of like 10 days or something.  That usually means a bunch of two-a-days.  Given they've launched like 5-6 more videos since last year it'll probably be a bit longer.  I think they track it on TR.

Hmmmmm.  Do you need the videos to do it, or can you just do the workouts on TR? Not that i'm thinking about doing it or anything...what's that over there?

Oooohhhh, you're gonna like this!  Tour of Sufferlandria is a nine day bike tour through Sufferlandria (Sufferfest videos).  It's the last week in January and goes from Saturday through the following Sunday -- you ride hard every day....and then your legs feel like they're going to fall off the next week, but somehow during the week of the tour, you manage (adrenaline?  competition?  STFU'ing and HTFU'ing?  I don't know, but you somehow manage!).

Last year, I did it only on TR without the videos.  Since then, I've picked up many/most of the videos.  I haven't purchased the final day's video (Violator) because I really don't want to work on my sprinting, but I may break down and buy it since it's part of the tour.

More info here: http://www.thesufferfest.com/about-sufferfest/tour-of-sufferlandria-2014/

You should do it.  You know you want to!!

2013-12-12 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Oh my goodness. I think I am going to NOT run today! Gasp. It's probably been more than a hundred days since that has happened.

That's just awesome...try not to drive everyone around you crazy.

2013-12-12 12:57 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Oooohhhh, you're gonna like this!  Tour of Sufferlandria is a nine day bike tour through Sufferlandria (Sufferfest videos).  It's the last week in January and goes from Saturday through the following Sunday -- you ride hard every day....and then your legs feel like they're going to fall off the next week, but somehow during the week of the tour, you manage (adrenaline?  competition?  STFU'ing and HTFU'ing?  I don't know, but you somehow manage!).

Last year, I did it only on TR without the videos.  Since then, I've picked up many/most of the videos.  I haven't purchased the final day's video (Violator) because I really don't want to work on my sprinting, but I may break down and buy it since it's part of the tour.

More info here: http://www.thesufferfest.com/about-sufferfest/tour-of-sufferlandria-2014/

I'm taking it as an opportunity to get a quick bike focus in to complement all the running I've been doing.

2013-12-12 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Well...that would certainly blow the Base phase of my training plan all to hell. 

2013-12-12 1:21 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

You should do it.  You know you want to!! ;)

I'm so predictable :)  hahaha!  yes!

2013-12-12 1:31 PM

User image

Seattle

Well...that would certainly blow the Base phase of my training plan all to hell. 

Also predictable 

2013-12-12 2:38 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Good luck Salty!!

It is 18F here, so naturally it was a run day for me (actually a run and bike day, but bike won't happen due to my adventurous run). 4.5mi in the books on the *mostly* clear path around the campus lake. I took a lot of advice from last week about running out in the snow and elements, but apparently I just applied it a little too late. Not effing kidding that the very first step I took off the path out of my building and onto the sidewalk resulted in my feet being above my head (and not in the good way!). Nothing like falling azz over teakettle right in front of the main library at the end of lunch hour. No major injuries are presenting themselves right now, but the entire palm/ball of my right hand is black and blue--thus the no biking, I can't even imagine holding the handles right now.
2013-12-12 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Also predictable 

Good thing I don't have a coach.

2013-12-12 3:02 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by drfoodloveGood luck Salty!! It is 18F here, so naturally it was a run day for me (actually a run and bike day, but bike won't happen due to my adventurous run). 4.5mi in the books on the *mostly* clear path around the campus lake. I took a lot of advice from last week about running out in the snow and elements, but apparently I just applied it a little too late. Not effing kidding that the very first step I took off the path out of my building and onto the sidewalk resulted in my feet being above my head (and not in the good way!). Nothing like falling azz over teakettle right in front of the main library at the end of lunch hour. No major injuries are presenting themselves right now, but the entire palm/ball of my right hand is black and blue--thus the no biking, I can't even imagine holding the handles right now.
oh no!!! I hope you're ok.

2013-12-12 3:35 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by drfoodlove Good luck Salty!! It is 18F here, so naturally it was a run day for me (actually a run and bike day, but bike won't happen due to my adventurous run). 4.5mi in the books on the *mostly* clear path around the campus lake. I took a lot of advice from last week about running out in the snow and elements, but apparently I just applied it a little too late. Not effing kidding that the very first step I took off the path out of my building and onto the sidewalk resulted in my feet being above my head (and not in the good way!). Nothing like falling azz over teakettle right in front of the main library at the end of lunch hour. No major injuries are presenting themselves right now, but the entire palm/ball of my right hand is black and blue--thus the no biking, I can't even imagine holding the handles right now.

Oh no! ANd HAHAHA

2013-12-12 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Also predictable 

Good thing I don't have a coach.

Yep, I'll be about four weeks into my St. George 70.3 build and will be doing an intense bike focus for nine days!  I think I'll try to do some easy running in the evenings, but swimming may get dropped altogether for that week. 

2013-12-12 6:10 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by dtoce What? Salty didn't tell you to STFU and just do it?? And what's with Ben cowering and saying he's not going to do an FTP test? (even if he could probably tell us what it is to the o.1) What is this world coming to?? (cats and dogs sleeping together...what's next?) good job Killing that workout, Matt! I got 'er done today. Up at 5am to get dressed for 19degrees and a 7 miler before work. Can't have my wife give me grief for going running when I get home from work. Early AM workouts have always been the compromise in the past, as long as I can get my sorry a** out the door... Treated bright stars and then a spectaculiar sunrise-breathtaking mauve declaring that 'sailors should take warning'

Salty appears to have recovered. Good thing. She has some running to do this weekend. As for cats and dogs, the day I find them sleeping together in my house is a day the tides rise and the apocalypse descends.  

I love early morning runs...as long as I can find some light. Winter makes that a bit more of a challenge but stars and a beautiful sunrise at the end of a run is a fabulous reward. Followed closely by coffee. 

2013-12-12 6:13 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Pro
NJ

sniff, sniff....anyone else smelling a Sufferlandria challenge coming on??? 

2013-12-12 7:33 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by kcarroll
As for cats and dogs, the day I find them sleeping together in my house is a day the tides rise and the apocalypse descends.  

I love early morning runs...as long as I can find some light. Winter makes that a bit more of a challenge but stars and a beautiful sunrise at the end of a run is a fabulous reward. Followed closely by coffee. 

sniff, sniff....anyone else smelling a Sufferlandria challenge coming on???

Kim
It was definitely was followed by coffee...
but let's keep the apocalypse far away, so try to keep those critters separated
  • ..and for those who are not in a bike focus for January, I am planning a run focus month of 117miles-starting Jan 1.

• Details to follow in the main Challenge thread when it gets closer, but I am not planning on any real cycling until Feb so I will offer to host his as motivation to those planning to slog/run through the cold days of January. I always need accountability during that month.

Good thing I don't have a coach

um, Mike, you do have a coach-you!
    so STFU and get out there and run!

Originally posted by ligersandtions I'll be about four weeks into my St. George 70.3 build and will be doing an intense bike focus for nine days! I think I'll try to do some easy running in the evenings, but swimming may get dropped altogether for that week.

Nicole
    If you think you might make 117 miles, join me!

You all have a special invitation --being in the 'work your weakness' thread.

2013-12-13 7:53 AM

User image

Regular
    LHOTP

Dale, what is the significance of 117 miles?

Marathon peak month? ;)

2013-12-13 8:01 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT

Dale, what is the significance of 117 miles?

Marathon peak month?

since I've been doing triathlon over the last 3 years, my running volume has dwindled...my peak month since I stopped 'running' has been 116 miles in a month and I want to beat it

selfish, but I need help for motivation

Edited by dtoce 2013-12-13 8:01 AM
    2013-12-13 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ridgeland, Mississippi

Good luck, Salty, on your race this weekend!

I have a half marathon this weekend before my next two weeks of super long runs (21 and 23).  A couple of local triathletes who excel on the run are doing the race as well.  These guys are pretty much the reason I've been doing this marathon focus.  I don't know if I'll beat them or not, but I'd like to show them that their advantage is fading.

2013-12-13 9:15 AM
    in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by msteiner

Good luck, Salty, on your race this weekend!

I have a half marathon this weekend before my next two weeks of super long runs (21 and 23).  A couple of local triathletes who excel on the run are doing the race as well.  These guys are pretty much the reason I've been doing this marathon focus.  I don't know if I'll beat them or not, but I'd like to show them that their advantage is fading.

Give 'em hell, Matt.  And a little something to think about.  :-)

New Thread
    Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  

of 53

RELATED POSTS

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVIII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44

Started by lastcall2003
    Views: 35303 Posts: 1084

2008-06-03 8:15 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by lastcall2003
    Views: 35224 Posts: 957

2008-05-20 8:51 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVI) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
    Views: 34088 Posts: 1003

2008-05-08 9:14 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XV) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
    Views: 35667 Posts: 1005

2008-04-27 6:23 PM lastcall2003

The Mike Ricci July Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by vortmax
    Views: 5562 Posts: 61

2006-08-02 3:35 PM Ron
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 17, 2008
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 0
    It sounds like you have a very common condition that many runners and triathletes experience called patello-femoral pain syndrome. We have seen that runners with core weakness experience this.

date : October 9, 2007
    author : dr_forbush
    comments : 9
    The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
    date : March 21, 2007
    author : EndurancePlanet
    March BeginnerTriathlete of the Month Interview with Mike Ricci

date : June 4, 2006
    author : Team BT
    comments : 2
    One year ago I weighed 238 lbs. and got winded walking up one flight of stairs - literally. I ran across a brochure for a triathlon...hmm. It seemed like an impossible task, but I was intrigued.
    date : May 16, 2005
    author : infosteward
    "After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."

date : April 17, 2005
    author : Team BT
    How to be a BOPer or MOPer in a FOPer world. As a middle of the pack athlete, I have adopted some things I do to assure a victorious feeling at every event I finish.
    date : January 30, 2005
    author : Brandon Heflin
    So how do you turn a weakness into strength? It begins with effecting a fundamental change to your triathlete self-image.

date : November 28, 2004
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!