REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
81F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 42m 34s
Overall Rank = 183/387
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/31
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:15, and felt pretty tired. I tried to get to bed early, but it took awhile to fall asleep. I had a couple pieces of toast with Peanut butter/cocoa spread, and an iced coffee, my usual breakfast.
Event warmup:

It takes awhile to get set up. You drive to T2 to set it up, then take a shuttle over to T1. I got set up, and then realized I'd forgotten my shoes, so I just ran for a few minutes in a field nearby. Around 7:15, they opened the water so we could do a swim warm-up. I'm glad I got to get in the water. I was really nervous about this race; I didn't want a repeat of Louisville!
Swim
  • 37m 39s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

I can't figure out the Rev3 swim time. It lists the above time as my split, but then adds in Corral time and gives me over a 39 minute swim, for some reason. 37 is what I swam it in, even by Garmin backed that up, so that's the number I'm going with.
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot; I made an effort to work hard on this swim, and I was happy with my performance. I'm especially happy with my progression over this year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

I threw my stupid goggles down...just like last year! I'd only had them two days!!! I just lose track of all the stuff when I have to take my wetsuit off and pack it up. Overall, I'm happy with the transition time. I tried to be efficient, but take enough time to not screw anything up.

Hold onto my goggles!
Bike
  • 3h 04m 40s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Good lord, there were some fast people at this race! My goal for this race was twofold: get through the bike feeling ok, and following my nutrition plan: three one-hour Perpetuem bottles, 1/3 of a bottle every 20 minutes. I nailed both of those, so I'm happy.
The first few miles are straight uphill, but all those crazy-fast disc wheel freaks of nature were out of the saddle just blowing by me. Seriously, I've never been passed so many times in a race, just time after time, people came flying by. I didn't care all that much, either I would catch them later, or they were too fast. Either way, it would be worked out later.
About 10 miles in, I think, I witnessed a crazy incident: a cyclist was a few seconds in front of me, when a crappy old RV just pulled out into the road...right in front of him. He had no choice but to fly off the left side of the road, and I mean fly: he must have launched 10 feet through the air. I stopped to make sure he was ok, and it seemed like he was, although he was a little worried he might have broken his disc wheel. I stayed long enough to make sure he seemed physically ok, then wished him luck and continued riding. I really hope something terrible happened to the driver of that RV; he clearly saw us, clearly saw what he did, and just kept on driving.
The rest of the ride was pretty simple: pedal uphill as fast as my HR would allow, then try to get enough speed downhill to get up the next. Seriously, this course was ALL downhill or up. It made Louisville look flat. I feel like I handled it well enough, and wouldn't do things differently. I nailed my nutrition, kept a good HR, and got off the bike feeling pretty good, overall.

Invent a time machine, travel back in time, meet the parents of that RV driver, and slap them for the terrible job they would raising their child with terrible decision-making skills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

I got off the bike, and took a little extra time to dry off, especially my feet, and then I put on a new pair of socks. I got my race belt on, shoes on, visor on, and was off.

Nothing I can think of
Run
  • 1h 55m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The course was two loops, and right from the start it went up a steep hill, which set the precedent for the entire course. It was just like the bike: push uphill as much as my HR would allow, and then try to make up some time going down. I handled the aid stations well: on the first loop I went with Gatorade to drink, and water on the head. On the 2nd loop, they offered Coke, so I took that and kept up the water on the head, which worked well. I also took a PowerGel at the one-hour mark, which I carried and though I'd try. I seemed to tolerate it well.The first loop felt OK, I could've gone faster, but I knew that this was not a Sprint or Olympic race, so I held back, and I'm glad I did! I felt good about my pace, for the most part, and hoped to speed up some for the 2nd loop.
Well, I couldn't speed up...those hills were killers! I didn't slow down too badly, at most a 1'/mile, or so, but I wanted to go faster. I talked with Nate afterward, and we both felt the same way: I felt like my "engine" could've gone harder, but my legs just didn't have any more speed in them. I kept pushing, trying to keep my HR up, and watched my pace/time. I decided in the last 5 miles that my goal would be a sub-2:00 run split. I knew I'd be happy with that, so I worked to keep my pace up and ticked off the miles. I got to the last mile and knew that I had plenty of time to get my sub 2-hour finish, and felt pretty happy. The finish line was great, the people cheering was just enough to help you push through. I ran through, gladly took my medal and a cold, wet towel (a great idea) and then started pounding cookies and chips! This was a challenging run, and I'm please with how I performed.

Not much I can think of, I could've gone harder on the first loop, but would have really paid for it later. I made the right choice holding back.
Post race
Warm down:

Wet towel, cookies, chips, and a turkey sandwich. Nate mentioned he went to the med tent, just in case, and I thought that he had a great idea, so I got my blood pressure checked: 110/70, which is right at normal, so that was good to find out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Basically, I need to be able to hold like 400 watts an hour on the bike to be competitive in this race. Seriously, though, I am happy with how I did. I cut 16 minutes off my 70.3 since Raleigh, and it was a harder course than Raleigh. I can't help it that this was the USAT National Long Course Championship race and everyone there had the quads of a sumo wrestler. I exceeded my personal expectations.

Event comments:

I'd give this race a 5, except that Nate and I were talking afterward about how difficult it was. Leaving the race, there were lots of people still walking to finish the course: let me repeat, this is a tough course. Nate and I both agree that for a run-of-the-mill triathlete, this is a killer, especially if it was your first Half-Iron race. The times look spectacular because of the caliber of athlete competing, but for Joe and Jane Triathlete, train for hills! It's definitely not a bad course, just challenging.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:39 | 1931 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/31
Overall: 150/387
Performance: Good
Suit: XTerra
Course: Swim out and keep the red buoys to your left
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:04:40 | 56 miles | 18.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/31
Overall: 205/387
Wind: Little
Course: So.many.hills...Seriously, just hill after hill, and then there were more hills after that.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:55:42 | 13.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/31
Overall: 183/387
Course: Did I mention this course has a lot of hills? Well, it does, ever so many.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-10-13 7:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev

2013-10-13 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4876305

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev
WHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Great race!

That totally sucks about the driver. Thank you for stopping to check on the athlete who was hit! I hope he's just sore today.

BTW, I'm a huge fan of perpetuem - glad to hear it's working for you too!!

Rest up. You've had a great season
2013-10-13 7:45 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Thanks, it was a good race, and I'm happy with how I did! I'm definitely glad this was the last tri of the season; I'm definitely feeling a little burnt out. I was happy to end the season on a high note.
2013-10-13 8:09 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great job Jamie! I had heard it was a tough course. Really strong effort. Fantastic way to finish an exceptional year.

2013-10-14 7:02 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I figured based on the location in upstate SC that it would be pretty hilly. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

I know the sound of those disc wheels very well. They flew past me at Augusta. I find it interesting that after the crash you witnessed, the guy was more worried that he'd broken his wheel than his body. He must've been feeling okay (or his adrenaline was still sky high) for that to be his first thought. Either that or he'd JUST purchased it.

Sounds like you had a great final race of the season. Well done taking what you learned at IM Louisville and applying it at Rev 3 so you could have a successful day. Props to you for your hard work this season.

Now...don't you have some essays to grade or something? I only say that because it's my fall break today, and I'm staring at 100 thematic analysis papers.
2013-10-14 9:02 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Great job Jamie! I had heard it was a tough course. Really strong effort. Fantastic way to finish an exceptional year.

Thanks, I'm really happy with how I did, and that it was the last race of the season!

2013-10-14 9:02 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by glfprncs

I figured based on the location in upstate SC that it would be pretty hilly. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

I know the sound of those disc wheels very well. They flew past me at Augusta. I find it interesting that after the crash you witnessed, the guy was more worried that he'd broken his wheel than his body. He must've been feeling okay (or his adrenaline was still sky high) for that to be his first thought. Either that or he'd JUST purchased it.

Sounds like you had a great final race of the season. Well done taking what you learned at IM Louisville and applying it at Rev 3 so you could have a successful day. Props to you for your hard work this season.

Now...don't you have some essays to grade or something? I only say that because it's my fall break today, and I'm staring at 100 thematic analysis papers.

I wish we had a Fall break! All we get is Parent Teacher conferences on Friday
2013-10-14 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4876305

User image

New user
Nashville, TN
Great race! I agree it was a brutal course, and this WAS my first half! Looks like we were fairly close to each other for pretty much the entire course, you probably passed me a mile or two into the run. Congrats, and enjoy the off season!
2013-10-15 11:29 AM
in reply to: morsebj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by morsebj

Great race! I agree it was a brutal course, and this WAS my first half! Looks like we were fairly close to each other for pretty much the entire course, you probably passed me a mile or two into the run. Congrats, and enjoy the off season!

Yeah, it looks like we had pretty similar races. Also, I see you're signed up for IMChoo; we'd better get used to hills!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev

Started by paxsarah
Views: 1441 Posts: 4

2012-10-21 7:08 AM thecaptin

Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev

Started by wiky
Views: 1962 Posts: 10

2012-10-21 7:03 AM Chris Martin

Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev

Started by ItsSteveOYEAH
Views: 1174 Posts: 1

2012-04-20 9:27 AM ItsSteveOYEAH

Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev

Started by cfib
Views: 2009 Posts: 4

2011-10-14 4:48 PM southwestmba

Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev

Started by matthewwise
Views: 1208 Posts: 1

2011-10-10 3:11 PM matthewwise
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : April 26, 2012
author : AnnabelAnderson
comments : 1
This is an article about attending my first triathlon (as a spectator - I had never entertained the possibility of actually participating one before!), and how inspiring and motivating I found it.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.