General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-02-26 8:53 AM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest
Originally posted by ChrisM
Any word on any changes from the 2013 course?   Website seems to infer it.  Also any idea whether swim waves will be same as last year, or new procedure, etc?

I haven't heard anything...and I keep checking for updates. I doubt they'll change the swim course...and I heard the run was a good(ish) route.

Truth be told I hope they change the way we enter the water so I'm not one of the last dang people headed out on the course.

Yes please!

2014-02-27 4:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Can someone that's done this comment?   Sounds like from the '13 guide, you get a morning clothes or after race bag that they transport to the finish.   No other bags, i.e. swim gear for after swim or bike gear for after the bike.  Is everything just left at transition in a pile (neat of course )  as in non - point to point races?

I ask because I am considering TBT valet service, to save the trip back to the lake after the race.  TBT says they'll pick up the bike abnd bags after the race, but I can't really wrap my head around what will be left at transition.  I don't see that we actually get any bags for TBT To collect but the post race one.

Edited by ChrisM 2014-02-27 4:16 PM
2014-02-28 6:36 AM
in reply to: #4880244

User image

Expert
Last year everything but run gear was left At transition. Wet suit and bike gear will be there. It would be worth it for them to pick up for you. It is a pain to get back over there and get your gear. I had my car parked at transition and just took the bus back but that was the last thing I wanted after finishing the race. Especially since I was only a block from my hotel.

Comment on the water temp. Frigging cold. About 64 but for someone from S Florida it was freezing. Hate how they have you jump off the pier to start. No reason it couldn't have an in water start Like the pros. When I jumped in I couldn't breathe. It took at least 20 seconds until I could catch my breath and start swimming. Agree that 5 min in I was fine but getting in sucked .enjoy
2014-02-28 6:41 AM
in reply to: #4957039

User image

Expert
Forgot to add. Transport company should give you bags because I can't see how they would identify your stuff otherwise.
2014-02-28 7:42 AM
in reply to: Duanerice

User image

Veteran
Commerce, Georgia
DuaneRice,

Me too,,I thought it was just me in a race start panic in the water,,but I couldn't catch my breath either and took me lots of on my back huffin and puffin and looking around wondering if I was going be able to find any rythem at all...I think i lost a good 3 minutes at the start of that swim getting used to it... didn't feel cold to my body really, but always has a huge impact with the face in the cold water.

kandk
2014-02-28 8:22 AM
in reply to: kandk

User image

Master
Look up Diving reflex. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammalian_diving_reflex
It happens to everybody, and if you know what is happening, it helps to rationalize.

2014-02-28 11:31 AM

User image

Originally posted by Duanerice Last year everything but run gear was left At transition. Wet suit and bike gear will be there. It would be worth it for them to pick up for you. It is a pain to get back over there and get your gear. I had my car parked at transition and just took the bus back but that was the last thing I wanted after finishing the race. Especially since I was only a block from my hotel. Comment on the water temp. Frigging cold. About 64 but for someone from S Florida it was freezing. Hate how they have you jump off the pier to start. No reason it couldn't have an in water start Like the pros. When I jumped in I couldn't breathe. It took at least 20 seconds until I could catch my breath and start swimming. Agree that 5 min in I was fine but getting in sucked .enjoy

Thanks, so to clarify - they don't have swim gear bags (i.e., a bag for wetsuit and goggles) or bike gear?   TBT says they put the gar bags in their own duffel.   But it sounds like there are no race provided gear bags.   Not sure if they'd go and just collect everything at transition, or how they'd know it's mine....

Would b convenient, but I think I'd worry about my stuff.

As for water temps, coming from so cal 64 sounds just about perfect.   It's a nice wake up jumping in,but nothing like jumping off the boat at Alcatraz  

2014-02-28 2:18 PM

User image

Regular
Yeah, 64 is frigid to my scrawny little . I did an Olympic last year in 62-63 degree water and thought I was having a panic attack at the start, I had so much trouble getting breaths. My feet did not thaw out until 3 miles into the run. So I'm not looking forward to that part.

2014-02-28 9:01 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Veteran
Commerce, Georgia
mdwallis,

I did a sprint once in Northwest, Ohio in May once and I bet that water was in the low 60's and I had no wetsuit on. I don't think I put my face in the water the entire swim. when I got out to run to my bike I literally could not feel my feet,, felt like I was running on stubs,, My teeth were chattering for quite awhile on the bike course...Fun....ah the memories of those experiences seem to just make us stronger...

kandk
2014-03-03 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
This link will give water temps that are checked weekly..currently the closest location has water temps at 60.

http://www.saveourlake.org/weekly-report.php

Have no worries, the water will be well into the 70s by race day.

I am a local and like to support this race, but logistically, it sucks.

Athlete meeting (required for this race), check in and Expo are all downtown. Bike drop off is 15 miles away at transition.

So, you'll need to get to transition at least three times in two days. Once to drop your bike off, once to start the race and another to pick your bike up.

If anyone is looking for a place to stay, I can suggest a few hotels in Metairie. You will find cheaper rates than downtown New Orleans and be closer to the race start and you can cab it to/from the French Quarter for the festival and post race activities.

2014-03-07 4:19 PM
in reply to: LSUfan4444

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by LSUfan4444

This link will give water temps that are checked weekly..currently the closest location has water temps at 60.

http://www.saveourlake.org/weekly-report.php

Have no worries, the water will be well into the 70s by race day.

I am a local and like to support this race, but logistically, it sucks.

Athlete meeting (required for this race), check in and Expo are all downtown. Bike drop off is 15 miles away at transition.

So, you'll need to get to transition at least three times in two days. Once to drop your bike off, once to start the race and another to pick your bike up.

If anyone is looking for a place to stay, I can suggest a few hotels in Metairie. You will find cheaper rates than downtown New Orleans and be closer to the race start and you can cab it to/from the French Quarter for the festival and post race activities.

I'm interested in hotel suggestions.

2014-03-11 5:33 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

5 weeks.  how's training?   mine is getting there.   slowly, but should be good to go race day.  Looking forward to kicking off the season with a couple post race hurricanes 

2014-03-11 5:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by LSUfan4444 This link will give water temps that are checked weekly..currently the closest location has water temps at 60. http://www.saveourlake.org/weekly-report.php.

Which is the closest location?

I'm looking more at those fecal coliform numbers...  blech

whoops, see the map now.  pontchartrain beach...

Edited by ChrisM 2014-03-11 5:35 PM
2014-03-11 5:38 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Commerce, Georgia
ChrisM,

I think the closest location is #4,,yikes Fecal count is 182,,,
2014-03-11 5:51 PM

User image

Originally posted by kandk ChrisM, I think the closest location is #4,,yikes Fecal count is 182,,,

chart says <200 is safe. 

I realize even that location is a good distance away and not indicative of the swim area.  It's just...  you know.    swim fast

2014-03-12 2:02 PM

User image

5 weeks.  how's training?   mine is getting there.   slowly, but should be good to go race day.  Looking forward to kicking off the season with a couple post race hurricanes 

Base building has been great, but recently I've been traveling so struggling to get 10hrs a week for a couple weeks now. i'm scared its going to hurt me but we'll see. I think I have a half dozen 60 mile rides in the hills...so I'll be fine, just not sure 80-85% of FTP is going to feel when I get off the bike.

Its early season, I can redeem at Raleigh...I'm going mostly for the hurricanes

2014-03-12 2:48 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Getting there too.  Have a few weeks of intervals coming up.  We'll see how I feel after that.

2014-03-12 3:14 PM

User image

. Its early season, I can redeem at Raleigh...I'm going mostly for the hurricanes

Have you guys seen the food vendor list for the French Quarter Festival that weekend? 

http://www.fqfi.org/frenchquarterfest/fqfi_food.html

2014-03-12 7:49 PM

User image

Regular
Yukon

Base building has been great, but recently I've been traveling so struggling to get 10hrs a week for a couple weeks now. i'm scared its going to hurt me but we'll see. I think I have a half dozen 60 mile rides in the hills...so I'll be fine, just not sure 80-85% of FTP is going to feel when I get off the bike.

Its early season, I can redeem at Raleigh...I'm going mostly for the hurricanes

10hrs/week I wish. With all the snow and ice and crazy weather we have had I am supremely happy with my average of 8hrs/week. I could not even get to the pool an entire week due to road conditions. I'm ready to take a baseball bat to my trainer as well. I have no clue how this race is going to pan out. I have never done so much indoor training before it's brutal. This training session has me really thinking about signing up for a spring 70.3.
2014-03-16 6:11 PM
in reply to: Morpheus

User image

I had to get 3 hours in on the trainer today. My wife did 4 hours! woof! Pretty rough....looking forward to getting to actually put this training to use in New orleans!

Anyone else done any crappy indoor training lately?
2014-03-16 6:13 PM

User image

New user

Annapolis, Maryland

I had to get 3 hours in on the trainer today. My wife did 4 hours! woof! Pretty rough....looking forward to getting to actually put this training to use in New orleans!

I did 5 hrs on the trainer last week and as soon as I put my kids down I get to knock out 3 tonight. Netflix time...

2014-03-16 6:15 PM
in reply to: papson13

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by papson13

I did 5 hrs on the trainer last week and as soon as I put my kids down I get to knock out 3 tonight. Netflix time...

^^^^^^^^
No she didn't, I did forgot to log the wife out before I wrote.
2014-03-16 7:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Commerce, Georgia
I do all my week day rides (2 of them) on the trainer upwards of 42 miles each ,, so about 2.5 hours each there. The 3rd ride is on the road on the weekend and was 57 yesterday,, I may hit 60 on the next 2 Saturdays before I taper. All my swim training is done on a Totalgym machine: Trust me, it works.. Can simulate very close to swimming in the water and my stroke strength is very good.. ha,, I haven't been in the water since last year in New Orleans in April (last years race)....I will get in the water soon here in the lake in central SC with a few swims to re-aclimate myself and I'll be good to go. My runs are always outdoors,, last week I ran 3- 10 milers..this week will do a 13 and a couple of 10's.

So last week I hit 6000 some "estimated" yards of swimming, 141 miles of cycling and 30 miles of running. A total of a bit over 14 hours.

Edited by kandk 2014-03-16 7:33 PM
2014-03-16 10:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
You guys are making me seem like a slug. The bad thing is that I did Galveston 70.3 last year so I am not too terrified of the distance. Fear is the best motivator. Perhaps I am taking my "I gotta limit my training to prevent my ITB issue a little too seriously". Oh well, time to get fearful soon.

Happy training everyone!
2014-03-17 9:16 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Originally posted by papson14

Originally posted by papson13

^^^^^^^^
No she didn't, I did forgot to log the wife out before I wrote.

Thats pretty funny. and impressive!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by kandk
Views: 29688 Posts: 315

2014-04-21 10:21 AM ChrisM

Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kandk
Views: 21372 Posts: 206

2012-05-01 4:42 PM aubosox

Ochsner Ironman New Orleans 70.3 : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by LSU25
Views: 33840 Posts: 207

2012-01-23 6:26 PM kdlsch111

Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by thomas1999
Views: 33071 Posts: 339

2010-05-05 7:11 PM southgal30

Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by LazyMarathoner
Views: 25974 Posts: 302

2009-04-11 5:37 PM atlrunnergirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.