General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommend stock/canned IM plans w Power? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-21 9:45 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Recommend stock/canned IM plans w Power?
Since a coach is not in my budget I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on stock/canned training plans for IM that uses Power Based bike training. My first IM I followed the silver plan here, the next one I followed Finks Advanced. Both had me prepared and were good, however, I am going to train with power this IM go around. I like stock plans because I can see them layed out in their entireity and move around for the week due to my work and personal life schedule. If coaches were cheaper I'd love to use one.

Thanks in advance, Tom

2013-10-22 10:00 AM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Recommend stock/canned IM plans w Power?

Endurance Nation has some also Trainingpeaks.com also has some out there. You have to weed through a lot but there are some out there.

2013-10-22 7:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

x2 on Endurance Nation

2013-10-22 9:28 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Regular
Thanks, I'll check Endurance Nation out.

Tom
2013-10-24 2:27 PM

User image

How experienced are you with power? Power is a great tool, if you know how to use it properly. The most common mistake is not estimating FTP properly, and even if you do have it dialed in, you incorrectly extrapolate 4-6 hour power goals based off your FTP. These types of errors can lead to disaster during long training rides or even your race.

So just make sure when you decide on a power goal for your race, make sure it's based on something you actually accomplished in training during a long ride and felt like you could run a marathon afterwards. Not simply estimating your FTP off a 20' test, then taking 68% off your estimated FTP.
2013-10-24 4:00 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-10-25 6:37 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Regular
Originally posted by Jason N

How experienced are you with power? Power is a great tool, if you know how to use it properly. The most common mistake is not estimating FTP properly, and even if you do have it dialed in, you incorrectly extrapolate 4-6 hour power goals based off your FTP. These types of errors can lead to disaster during long training rides or even your race.

So just make sure when you decide on a power goal for your race, make sure it's based on something you actually accomplished in training during a long ride and felt like you could run a marathon afterwards. Not simply estimating your FTP off a 20' test, then taking 68% off your estimated FTP.

Thanks Jason, good advice. Not very experienced, but I've put alot of time in reading about it prior to my purchase and have some friends who train with it as well. Now it's time to see what it means. I'm looking into improving my bike times and believe training with power will be a great tool to aid me and hopefully keep my pacing honest, which is not my strong suit, at least on the bike. I will definitely make sure I train with the power goal I plan to race with.

Tom
2013-10-25 6:41 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Regular
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Jason NHow experienced are you with power? Power is a great tool, if you know how to use it properly. The most common mistake is not estimating FTP properly, and even if you do have it dialed in, you incorrectly extrapolate 4-6 hour power goals based off your FTP. These types of errors can lead to disaster during long training rides or even your race.So just make sure when you decide on a power goal for your race, make sure it's based on something you actually accomplished in training during a long ride and felt like you could run a marathon afterwards. Not simply estimating your FTP off a 20' test, then taking 68% off your estimated FTP.
. +1. Estimate the wattage you can ride by simulating long training runs. Ideally I might suggest trying the 'BIG training DAY' approach and seeing what wattage you can hold and still run decently. I would never use a 20' test solely to determine FTP and wattage goals for an IM.

Thanks Fred, good advice. As I replied to Jason, pacing on the bike is not my strong suit as I tend to go off mph, which is not good. I'm not a big fan of suffering on the run, so definitely will put some thought and time into a big training day when it comes to my power numbers.

Tom
2013-10-26 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4881752

Expert
Carmel
Check out optimized training lab, they created a computer program that is more custom then a cookie cutter plan for about $25 a month. The program will recreate the workouts based on what you have done.

The workouts are written by real coaches also.

I don't work for then or anything like that, just used the company this year and was very happy, I PR'd at both Oly by 7:00 and half iron by 40:00, yes that is 40 minutes.
2013-10-26 7:48 PM
in reply to: MForger18

Regular
Originally posted by MForger18

Check out optimized training lab, they created a computer program that is more custom then a cookie cutter plan for about $25 a month. The program will recreate the workouts based on what you have done.

The workouts are written by real coaches also.

I don't work for then or anything like that, just used the company this year and was very happy, I PR'd at both Oly by 7:00 and half iron by 40:00, yes that is 40 minutes.

Thanks, I'll check them out as well.

Tom
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommend stock/canned IM plans w Power? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

recommended experience and pace before beginning IM Training Pages: 1 2

Started by NeedleDoc
Views: 5000 Posts: 29

2013-10-19 10:55 PM AtlantaBill

Beginner Triathelet's IM training plan vs "Be Iron Fit" plan

Started by ironcop17
Views: 10856 Posts: 18

2012-11-26 8:53 PM japewang

IM Plan with Power & HR

Started by runninirish
Views: 658 Posts: 1

2012-09-07 9:44 PM runninirish

Recommended first IM

Started by millarg
Views: 1816 Posts: 16

2006-04-10 6:50 PM T in Liberty Lake

Power output during IM ride.

Started by charles81
Views: 1329 Posts: 10

2004-12-04 8:51 AM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 25, 2013
author : JorgeM
comments : 0
This Cycling plan is a general cycling program geared to help triathletes and cyclists improve their Critical Power over a 16 week period. Power and Heart-Rate versions

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.
date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.