General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Men win 2nd-5th place at Nike Women's Half Marathon SF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-10-24 9:56 AM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Men win 2nd-5th place at Nike Women's Half Marathon SF
Originally posted by trishie

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by TriMyBest The only issue I have with women only events is that if someone organized a men only event, people would say it was discrimination.
This^^^^ Womens only races are discrimination! It's not like the open events don't have categories for women.

Really? Discrimination? 

yes-- it is the definition of discrimination!

Did the race discriminate- no because they allowed men to run.

Should the male winners complain about who handed them an award-- no- shut up and take your prize.

Why would men what to run in it- Tiffany necklace prize is much nicer than the usually medal and they figure they had a good chance= smart

Should people be asking if men should be allowed to race in the event- no - not unless you want to be dividing buses up into different sections again!

2013-10-24 10:13 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have found my entertainment for the day.
2013-10-24 11:19 AM

User image

Remember this occurred in a state where they recently passed a law that allows students to use the facilities of the gender "they associate with." So any "girl trapped in a guy's body" is free to walk into the women's restroom at school and use it. Oh, that also applies to locker rooms and, I think, sports teams.

As for why men might want to enter a women-only race... I suspect in some cases it would be for the same reason women like to receive their awards from male firefighters. But, then again, this is San Francisco we're talking about.
2013-10-24 11:52 AM
in reply to: rjames91

User image

Our newspaper usually has news articles from San Francisco under the header "News of the Weird." This qualifies. If it is a women's race, why allow men? If it is a charity race in support of women's health (like Breast Cancer research), it wouldn't necessarily make it a "women's race." Born in Berkeley, love the Bay Area, but glad I am an east coast Yankee!
2013-10-24 12:08 PM
in reply to: rjames91

User image

Sensei
Sin City

In my quick assessment, the guys we are generally talking about in this story are tools for SO many reasons.

Also will assume the guys that placed well are not necessarily the same guys complaining about who is handing out medals.  There are two different categories of toolness these guys fall in.

2013-10-24 12:14 PM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

NC
Originally posted by jbrookscga78

If it is a women's race, why allow men?

According to the OP, because the law requires it.

2013-10-24 12:18 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Left Brain

If you're a man running in a race that is titled "Women's Marathon" you should mostly just run and keep your mouth shut.  Kinda like finding yourself at a Mary Kay party.....just sit there, drink your beer, and shut up.  No matter what else you do, you sound stupid.

They had beer at your Mary Kay party?? Damn...

2013-10-24 12:22 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
Virginia
I know why women want to run in these women-only races: so men aren't punching them in the face near the finishing chute.

2013-10-24 12:33 PM
in reply to: MCA

User image

Sensei
Sin City

What is the trigger that allows the law to step in and force a club/event to change who they want in it?

If I decided to run race called the Sasquatch 5k and you have to be over 6' as a girl or 6'5" as a guy to participate, could some short person get the law to force me to let them participate?

If it's open to the public, it has to be open to everyone?  But it's MY race I organized.  I feel like I should be able to be exclusive, but what comes with that, I would have to deal with the repercussions of excluding short people (such as shin kicking and ankle biting and Jolly Green Giant name calling).

2013-10-24 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

To each their own, and yeah, if it gets women active awesome.  But personally, I don't get women only races.  Where's the fun in that?  I like it when the sweaty, pumped up bodies full of crazy energy all around me are at least some percentage male.  I didn't like going to an all girls high school and I don't think I would like an all girls race either.

And if the rules say men are allowed, well, they're allowed.

2013-10-24 12:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NC

Edited by Goosedog 2013-10-24 12:46 PM

2013-10-24 12:45 PM

User image

NC
Originally posted by Goosedog

Originally posted by Kido

What is the trigger that allows the law to step in and force a club/event to change who they want in it?

Gender is a protected class (at least I assume it is in CA), just like race - and I assume the race is run on public property. I have no idea what prompted the law, but that could be a theory.

2013-10-24 2:13 PM

I wonder how the athletic community would have reacted, if Nike had arranged a 'men only'-event, or a "white protestant only"-event.
2013-10-24 2:19 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TobiasAK89 I wonder how the athletic community would have reacted, if Nike had arranged a 'men only'-event, or a "white protestant only"-event.

What man in his right mind wants a "men only" event....for crying out loud.  And who the hell wants to hang out with a whole crowd of "white protestants"?  Life is aggravating enough.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-10-24 2:19 PM
2013-10-24 2:36 PM

I would never race one, but I have to admit the women only races bug me. I just find it a bit hypocritical when, on one hand, I read about women trying to bring down the barriers and get into tradition male only clubs (golf, fitness, ...) but on the other hand the women's only races seem to be flourishing. This really leads into a whole discussion about Title IX as well....
2013-10-24 2:39 PM
in reply to: TobiasAK89

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TobiasAK89 I wonder how the athletic community would have reacted, if Nike had arranged a 'men only'-event, or a "white protestant only"-event.

People clearly must not have heard of the multitude of other organizations that put on women's races - where is the outrage for these?

IronGirl
Girls on the Run
Mermaid Series
Diva Dash
A billion others

2013-10-24 2:42 PM
in reply to: shaka999

User image

Pro

Originally posted by shaka999 I would never race one, but I have to admit the women only races bug me. I just find it a bit hypocritical when, on one hand, I read about women trying to bring down the barriers and get into tradition male only clubs (golf, fitness, ...) but on the other hand the women's only races seem to be flourishing. This really leads into a whole discussion about Title IX as well....

We didn't let them be a part of anything for a long time.....let them have their fun.  If you would never race one, what do you care?  As for title IX, I'm the father of 4 daughters and 1 son, all athletic.....I say hell yeah!  Why should the predominance of athletic scholarships go to boys?  If you have a boy who is getting passed over because a girl is getting a scholarship.....tell him to giddyup!

Really......white males whining about anything that has to do with equality sounds pretty stupid in my book.

2013-10-24 2:43 PM

User image

I think men should be fine running in races advertised as women's races so long as....

1. They aren't in a gorilla suit
2. They don't sprint to the finish line
3. They don't ruin another woman's finisher's picture
4. They don't punch women in the face because they're in the way

Did I miss anything?
2013-10-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N I think men should be fine running in races advertised as women's races so long as.... 1. They aren't in a gorilla suit 2. They don't sprint to the finish line 3. They don't ruin another woman's finisher's picture 4. They don't punch women in the face because they're in the way Did I miss anything?

Yeah:

5. They don't whine about what they're not getting.

2013-10-24 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Easy solution. All winners are mandated to participate on a hour long group discussion about the movies "the notebook" "Love actually" and "Bridget Jones Diary", followed by discussions on best products for menstruation. No male could last 20 minutes...and if they do not participate, no medals!

Only problem, that might disqualify some females too...

2013-10-24 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4883475

Corvallis, Oregon
Keep in mind that for 100s of years running was a male only sport. Its similar to complaining about BET (black entertainment television) but "if there was a WET people would freak out" to which the counter argument would be "Without entertainment geared towards that group, nearly all other television is geared towards whites." The fact is that, while possibly unintentional, other groups are being marginalized.

This is similar, historically males have controlled the sport, giving women the chance to unite together and participate in a race without men isn't discrimination, it is attempting to be quite the opposite; races and events have been and in some ways may still be, whether intentional or not, geared towards men.

Ian

2013-10-24 3:00 PM

We didn't let them be a part of anything for a long time.....let them have their fun.  If you would never race one, what do you care?  As for title IX, I'm the father of 4 daughters and 1 son, all athletic.....I say hell yeah!  Why should the predominance of athletic scholarships go to boys?  If you have a boy who is getting passed over because a girl is getting a scholarship.....tell him to giddyup!

Really......white males whining about anything that has to do with equality sounds pretty stupid in my book.

Well there it is. I'm a white mail so I guess I can't have an opinion....

Just a question...who is the "we" you speak of? I've never owned a club or a golf course. Never put on a race. All I was saying is things need to be consistent.

Edited by shaka999 2013-10-24 3:02 PM
2013-10-24 3:05 PM

User image

I'll bite.

Americans supposedly love a flat playing field, and some of us like to pretend that all discrimination is equal. It is not. Years of discrimination against women in sports lead to less attention, less money, and less respect for women in sports. How are male atheletes negatively impacted by having a race tailored to a specific gender? Simple: they are not. Discrimination is as bad as it's impact, and I don't see male atheletes being negatively impacted by female-specific races.

If you enter a race tailored to women and complain about how the race isn't tailored towards you, what does that say about you? Gonna show up for the Rock & Roll Marathon & complain because they don't play country?

If women's only races will make women feel more comfortable so they'll go out and run, I'm all for it. Women have more to worry about sometimes. For example, the inner city greenway I like to run on feels like stalkerville to my wife. I will never think about stalkers when I run, she has to think about it all the time. So give the ladies a bleeping race if it makes them feel more comfortable.

Just keep signing up for the co-ed races, ladies. Some of us need the motivation.
2013-10-24 3:09 PM
in reply to: shaka999

User image

Pro

Originally posted by shaka999

Well there it is. I'm a white mail so I guess I can't have an opinion.... Just a question...who is the "we" you speak of? I've never owned a club or a golf course. Never put on a race. All I was saying is things need to be consistent.

Dude, you're a white male.......you can't possibly make that statement with a straight face.

2013-10-24 3:11 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by trishie

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by TriMyBest The only issue I have with women only events is that if someone organized a men only event, people would say it was discrimination.
This^^^^ Womens only races are discrimination! It's not like the open events don't have categories for women.

Really? Discrimination? 

Yes, really.  Women only races are ridiculous. 

They already have plenty of women's only events called "color runs".

1. That has to be the best comment about color runs that I've ever read and it very much should not be in red. +1

2. I think women only events are 110% ridiculous. There are a few races and tris around Columbus that are women only and I would rather stop racing than ever participate in one. I'm a person and I race in races that are for people. I don't need any specials races or events for me to make me feel comfortable running.

3. I think men should show up, participate in these events, and if they aren't allowed to participate, raise hell about it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Men win 2nd-5th place at Nike Women's Half Marathon SF Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

First 1st AG Win, EVER!!! 5th OA

Started by bradaskins
Views: 1399 Posts: 21

2012-02-18 8:46 PM betyoursilver

First 1st AG Win, EVER!!! 5th OA

Started by bradaskins
Views: 438 Posts: 1

2012-02-18 3:25 PM bradaskins

Nike Women's Marathon competition

Started by limegreenbug1
Views: 692 Posts: 2

2011-09-26 2:18 PM AV842

Nike NYC Half Marathon

Started by JenBunn1e
Views: 739 Posts: 5

2007-01-21 10:58 PM cobannero

BT-er wins 1st overall in women's race!

Started by max
Views: 1254 Posts: 11

2006-05-23 10:38 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : March 30, 2011
comments : 8
A woman trains for and achieves her goal to do an almost 3 hour Olympic triathlon in her 50th year
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
Product Review: Nike MP3 Run digital audio player with pedometer. Get the skinny on accuracy and userability.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.