General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance only training can break you Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-29 10:44 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Endurance only training can break you

Time to join the fun...

Here's my question for Crossfit and/or weight training for triathlon training.  Which sport does it help?  

Is it swimming?  The sport where a 15 yrd old girl can beat a grown man, because technique is so important?  I would think swimming more while practicing technique would be way more beneficial.

Is it cycling?  I can see how it would help with raw power, but then you're neglecting the aerobic fitness you would gain by riding a bike, which would help you gain power and aerobic fitness.

Is it running?  A sport where adding weight hurts you, especially when that weight is upper body.

I'm just not sure where Crossfit can apply directly to triathlon, let alone be optimal.

2013-10-29 10:54 AM
in reply to: Zero2Athlete

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Wow, this thread has epitomized what the decline of BT thread was talking about.  The OP posts his opinion and cites something that he feels supports it without being disrespectful or implying that his way is the only way.  

And everyone jumps in with the "oh my gosh golly goodness, there's that opinion no one agrees with again.  I won't say a word!  I'll just post that I'm not saying a word to show I clearly don't approve!  Let's get the popcorn everyone!"

THIS is a good example of why some people don't post here anymore.

2013-10-29 11:02 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

This is what BT needs to do sometimes. Snake oil peddlers should be tarred, feathered, and thrown out of the forum. ST does this well. If you coddle BAD ideas, you lead beginners to think they might be good ideas, and that is how people get hurt doing things like crossfit.

2013-10-29 11:05 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by msteiner

Time to join the fun...

Here's my question for Crossfit and/or weight training for triathlon training.  Which sport does it help?  

Is it swimming?  The sport where a 15 yrd old girl can beat a grown man, because technique is so important?  I would think swimming more while practicing technique would be way more beneficial.

Is it cycling?  I can see how it would help with raw power, but then you're neglecting the aerobic fitness you would gain by riding a bike, which would help you gain power and aerobic fitness.

Is it running?  A sport where adding weight hurts you, especially when that weight is upper body.

I'm just not sure where Crossfit can apply directly to triathlon, let alone be optimal.

Your question demonstrates the misunderstanding that many people have about ST for triathletes.  The prevailing school of thought among coaches who advocate ST isn't that it will make the average AGer faster directly, but rather that a program custom designed for an individual to correct imbalances, ROM issues, movement dysfunctions, improve their sense of balance, etc. provides the potential to perform better.  It doesn't make them faster directly.  Instead, the logic is that it enables them to get more out of their s/b/r training because they move more efficiently, and are less likely to develop overuse injuries.

The standard example that I give is someone who sits all the time in an office job who develops tight hip flexors and weak glutes that they have trouble activating.  As a result, they have trouble extending their hips to achieve a good balanced body position for front crawl swimming without extending their spine into an arch and limited stride length running.  The application of the right strength training program can correct this imbalance/movement dysfunction enabling them to swim and run better.

2013-10-29 11:08 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

This is what BT needs to do sometimes. Snake oil peddlers should be tarred, feathered, and thrown out of the forum. ST does this well. If you coddle BAD ideas, you lead beginners to think they might be good ideas, and that is how people get hurt doing things like crossfit.

The OP said "I'm a big proponent of cross training with weights to stay healthy and injury free." What's bad about that?

Yes, the video was about crossfit - but I see nothing inherently wrong with cross training with weights, even though I tend to lean more towards ST with body weight.

2013-10-29 11:08 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by noelle1230

Wow, this thread has epitomized what the decline of BT thread was talking about.  The OP posts his opinion and cites something that he feels supports it without being disrespectful or implying that his way is the only way.  

And everyone jumps in with the "oh my gosh golly goodness, there's that opinion no one agrees with again.  I won't say a word!  I'll just post that I'm not saying a word to show I clearly don't approve!  Let's get the popcorn everyone!"

Meh, maybe, but that doesn't mean we can't still have an interesting, intelligent, and informative discussion.  See my post above as an example.

2013-10-29 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Meh, maybe, but that doesn't mean we can't still have an interesting, intelligent, and informative discussion.  See my post above as an example.

Totally agree with you Don.  Posts like yours are always an example of how to have respectful constructive arguments.  I'm thankful for posters like you.

2013-10-29 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Time to join the fun...

Your question demonstrates the misunderstanding that many people have about ST for triathletes.  The prevailing school of thought among coaches who advocate ST isn't that it will make the average AGer faster directly, but rather that a program custom designed for an individual to correct imbalances, ROM issues, movement dysfunctions, improve their sense of balance, etc. provides the potential to perform better.  It doesn't make them faster directly.  Instead, the logic is that it enables them to get more out of their s/b/r training because they move more efficiently, and are less likely to develop overuse injuries.

The standard example that I give is someone who sits all the time in an office job who develops tight hip flexors and weak glutes that they have trouble activating.  As a result, they have trouble extending their hips to achieve a good balanced body position for front crawl swimming without extending their spine into an arch and limited stride length running.  The application of the right strength training program can correct this imbalance/movement dysfunction enabling them to swim and run better.

I was going to write something and then you posted this and I no longer had anything to add. Spot on!

2013-10-29 11:19 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by bcagle25

Originally posted by trisuppo
Originally posted by Zero2Athlete http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANhIevk-Ow"In 1985, Chris Hinshaw finished the Ironman in second place, and at the peak of his career, he was one of the best triathletes in the world. But years of endurance training left him brittle and barely functional. Today, at 50 years old, Hinshaw runs a 4:58 mile. “The only thing that I’m doing differently is adding CrossFit. That’s it,” he says. “I’m not only functional, I can do things that I could never have imagined myself doing even back when I was a triathlete, back when I was one of the best in the world at it.”" I'm not suggesting that Crossfit is the only way, but I can tell you that after a year of just endurance training for IMAZ, I felt weak, old, and frail. Contrast to my feeling superhuman before I began...I'm a big proponent of cross training with weights to stay healthy and injury free.
I'll bite. Sounds like a veiled attempt at advertising...I think we would all agree that some strength training is beneficial for triathletes, especially as we age. I think most will bristle when it is alleged that crossfit is the better way to train for SBR. Okay, here we go...

I'll bite too. 

Functional strength training (read: not crossfit) is somewhat necessary for athletes, and the need generally increases with age.

The older athletes that I coach are doing strength training at least 2x weekly - but it is things like planks, lunges, squats, and a few specific exercises to address specific imbalances/weaknesses. Not deadlifts, pull-ups, box-jumps and snatches...

I do strength training - I mostly address my core because I believe it helps my form in all three disciplines of tri - and I do a short, targeted routine to address the specific causes of my IT band issue. 

Do you think that deadlifts, pull-ups, box-jumps, and snatches don't address your core?

No, I just think they're not necessarily the right intensity and focus for S/B/R - and they require additional equipment that athletes may not have. I do prefer to provide them with comprehensive routines that can be done at home without any additional equipment.

Fair response, but at the same time you can always be creative with the equipment you have. You don't need to have your own home gym to accomplish these. And if you have a pool membership chances are you have access to a gym as well.

But yes I agree there are several ways to build on your core....minus crunches
2013-10-29 11:25 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Time to join the fun...

I was going to write something and then you posted this and I no longer had anything to add. Spot on!

But not everyone has muscle imbalances, and even if they have some imbalances, then their economy can be developed through specificity.  In the case you listed, I'll concede that for some cases ST can be beneficial, but a lot (dare I say most) people would benefit from more S/B/R.

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

It's also an example of how different people can read the exact same post and form different opinions about motive, tone, etc.  The OP started the 'conversation' and has not been heard from since.  I know the OP posts with some frequency and feels strongly about this topic.  But it certainly can give the impression of 'trolling' if one doesn't have that background.  I'm not saying you may not have a valid assessment of some of the posts in this thread.  But with your reply, you basically did the same thing back at them.  And despite the 'noise' there is some legitimite information in this thread.  If people can't get past a bit of noise (remember, one person's 'noise' is another person's 'signal'), then most open internet forums simply aren't for them.

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Time to join the fun...

This is by far one of the best arguments for ST (notice nobody said CF) that I've seen yet and I'd honestly agree.  I would never forgo a s/b/r session for strength training but when I have a few days a week where my lunch hour is free and I've hit all my sessions (or will) then why not add in some ST, especially given I do sit at a desk the majority of the work day.  

2013-10-29 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

Time to join the fun...

+1
2013-10-29 11:37 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

But not everyone has muscle imbalances, and even if they have some imbalances, then their economy can be developed through specificity.  

I agree with this whole-heartedly.  Most overuse injuries can be traced back to training mistakes (some of which can lead to imbalances that may need some specific redress).  Fix the mistakes and specificity can handle most of what anyone needs to compete in endurance sports.

That said, I appreciate the sentiment expressed by some that they can help customize a program for specific individuals that can effectively 'pre-hab' and/or be materially addiditive to the rest of their training.  However, personally I'm a bit more suspicious about their ability to put that into practice on a consistent basis.  Not that I am out to stop them from trying.

The OP basically offered that he felt "weak, old, and frail" after giving up some of his ST to focus more on endurance.  All I can say is that I cannot relate to his feelings even a little bit.  But I have never cared for things like rock climbing, either.

2013-10-29 11:46 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

It's also an example of how different people can read the exact same post and form different opinions about motive, tone, etc.  The OP started the 'conversation' and has not been heard from since.  I know the OP posts with some frequency and feels strongly about this topic.  But it certainly can give the impression of 'trolling' if one doesn't have that background.  I'm not saying you may not have a valid assessment of some of the posts in this thread.  But with your reply, you basically did the same thing back at them.  And despite the 'noise' there is some legitimite information in this thread.  If people can't get past a bit of noise (remember, one person's 'noise' is another person's 'signal'), then most open internet forums simply aren't for them.

Yes, I've been unintentionally absent - Just busy and distracted. Work has to come first, and training certainly comes before typing, so I get here when I can... Thanks for understanding that my intent wasn't to troll, but to offer something I feel can benefit some people.
2013-10-29 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Time to join the fun...

But not everyone has muscle imbalances, and even if they have some imbalances, then their economy can be developed through specificity.  In the case you listed, I'll concede that for some cases ST can be beneficial, but a lot (dare I say most) people would benefit from more S/B/R.

I agree with this, and when many athletes get into this sport they may not have many, or any muscle imbalances. BUT when you S/B/R everyday, those repetitive motions develop muscle imbalances. Triathlon is virtually based on a singular plane of motion, but your body moves through 3. Running will tighten your hip flexors and add in some simple ST and you can open them up!

On a side not many athletes mention that they benefit more from SBR. While this may be true you need to look at it logistically. Think if you sacrificed one swim, bike or run session. ST session don't need to be more then 30 minutes, 60 is long enough. Now if you go for a 45 minute swim + change time + transport you are gone what 60-90 minutes? ST can be done in the comforts of home too.

Pros it's highly recommended, especially as they age in the sport

AG'ers it is a more loaded question and many things need to be taken into account.

Just adding this into the discussion and trying to bring up thoughts and concepts that are often overlooked.

2013-10-29 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

Time to join the fun...

Msteiner - My post wasn't about making anyone a better triathlete with weight training - there are plenty of arguments for either case and I don't have the concrete answer for that...however, I do think that most endurance athletes (especially the single sport types) do have muscle imbalances and various weaknesses that can contribute to injury - either during sport or general life. In that sense, I say that strength training makes one a better endurance athlete (by avoiding down time). I was coming from much more along the lines of the response from TMB.. Busy as I've been, I didn't really have time to say a lot but wanted to post before the link disappeared from my FB newsfeed and I never saw it again.

When I very first decided to get in shape, running was my only thing. Compared to a complete couch potato, I felt better. I thought I was in good shape...until I got injured and couldn't run. I was forced to weight train (hated it) because I couldn't run much at all (not crossfit - that is relatively new for me and NOT the only way to go...but I do like it). I realized though that I had been missing out big time...I felt "better" running only, but only after becoming truly strong could I appreciate how weak and injury prone I really was. The contrast was super-clear going from feeling very fit and strong to feeling frail in a short period.

I relate this to how it was the first time I got glasses (I was16 years old) - I told my parents I didn't need glasses and going to the eye doctor was a waste of time...then the doc put them on my face and I was blown away by what the world was supposed to look like. I think many people don't know what having strength and muscular balance feels like, so they cannot be aware of their deficits.

All I can tell you is that before I did Tri-only training I felt better, healthier, younger. And after tri-only training I feel better, healthier, and younger again. During (and for a while after) tri-only training, I felt good at one thing - I could go for a long time.
2013-10-29 12:21 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by cnsegura

I thought only this guy can break you

No, he tried, and failed. You can't break Iron.
2013-10-29 12:26 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by thebigb

Time to join the fun...

This is by far one of the best arguments for ST (notice nobody said CF) that I've seen yet and I'd honestly agree.  I would never forgo a s/b/r session for strength training but when I have a few days a week where my lunch hour is free and I've hit all my sessions (or will) then why not add in some ST, especially given I do sit at a desk the majority of the work day.  

To pile onto what Ben said above - sometimes it may not be a bad idea to forego an S/B/R session.  There are a couple of sub 3 marathon guys in my run group who run at very similar paces, and also use the same run coach.  One follows an ST program  (just 2-3x per week) in addition to the run workouts, while the other doesn't do any ST.   The latter never misses a run workout, and nails them every time, while the former occasionally misses a run, but has said he never misses an ST workout.  The one doing ST hasn't been injured in the past year, while the non-ST has gotten "broken" on a couple of occasions, and missed large chunks of time as a result.

This is clearly an N=1 example, and is for illustrative purposes only, but I do feel there may be merit to supplementing, and maybe occasionally substituting in ST vs S/B/R.  And for what it's worth - I currently don't do any ST.  But keep promising myself I will/should, and am curious to see what impact it has to my overall health (i.e. not getting broken on occasion)

2013-10-29 12:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
I agree with trimybest, bigb and neil. I've had well respected coaches advocate for it as well. NOT crossfit, but a specific strength training program and not as a replacement but as a supplement. One of the higher level coaches I saw had one after a swim session and one after a run session. It is a polarizing topic and obviously most AGers are pretty undertrained so an argument would be for them to do more sbr if they had more time...but, if they were theoretically at a proper load and this was a supplement I think it is a good idea personally for the reasons stated.

I'd like to hear some comments/thoughts on this last piece I didn't see mentioned but I've see the coaches argue that not only does it benefit with structural integrity but it helps recovery and hormonal levels. The reason being that endurance training can be highly catabolic in nature and strength work is anabolic in nature. Are there any thoughts on that aspect?

edit: I will add, I was a former gym rat and like strength training. I've tried a couple crossfit workouts with friends and can see how they are fun and the atmosphere lends itself to hard work. I do not like crossfit for most people though because it is a ripoff in my eyes. Way to expensive. There is no logical progression as you are just hammering yourself with WOD. If you are lucky enough to not get injured it ends up being that you can get in good shape but I have seen a ton of people hurt themselves. Middle aged guys in mid-life crisis mode dropping 200/mo and 6 months later they are out of commission. I realize it is a generalization but that is my take on it. I think it is much more beneficial to follow specific protocols for sport improvement in a safer way...while not having to spend a lot of extra money to workout in a garage.

Edited by acumenjay 2013-10-29 12:52 PM
2013-10-29 1:30 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

The OP said "I'm a big proponent of cross training with weights to stay healthy and injury free." What's bad about that?

Yes, the video was about crossfit - but I see nothing inherently wrong with cross training with weights, even though I tend to lean more towards ST with body weight.

When you post a crossfit video, and say you like cross training with weights, that means you think crossfit is good cross training with weights. I'm in agreement that strength training to address weaknesses is a good thing. Crossfit  on the other hand is 100% bad for triathlon training.

2013-10-29 1:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I don't think my reply was doing the same thing back at them.  I felt my reply was respectful and constructive.  I don't think that a reply that says, boy I'm NOT going to reply to THIS one is constructive as it just shows disdain for the topic without sharing any valid or helpful information.  By replying, I was hoping maybe the thread could take a more constructive tone, and it did.

As far as the OP itself goes, there has been talk of crossfit or ST for correction of overuse injuries; however, many biomechanical issues go much further back than that and stem from how a person's body developed from birth.  I think sometimes that very successful endurance athletes forget that not everyone's bodies were made with good symmetry, or with every joint and connective tissue optimally functional, or with feet that will provide necessary stability, etc.  Some issues just aren't fully correctable and will create big hurdles when adding mileage, especially with running and riding.

I think for those of us in that category, endurance athletics or really, repetitive motion will always leave us feeling more beat up than something like ST or crossfit just because of the simple fact that those activities are not as repetitive by nature.  So in that regard I can relate to the OP.

Edited by noelle1230 2013-10-29 1:35 PM
2013-10-29 1:56 PM
in reply to: Zero2Athlete

User image

Can't comment on CROSSFIT specifically. Never did it. Don't plan to. But on ST in general I can throw out this fact. I'm using Joe Friel's TP program to prepare for my HIM. Right now it has me doing ST 2x per week. Shoulders, lats, quads, hams, glutes, calves and core are all stronger as a result. Could I have achieved the same or better results by spending more time on S/B/R than Joe calls for? I don't know, but that's theory and I'm dealing with facts. Will this mean I'm faster come race day? I'll never know, because by the time I start worrying about it I'll have already put in the training. And if this TP is successful I'll probably never find out because I tend to stick with what works for me, which means ST will be part of my training from here on out.

Note: this is the BASE program. When I get to BUILD it may be different.

I haven't been training long enough to really have an opinion on this. It just is what it is.

2013-10-29 2:02 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

When you post a crossfit video, and say you like cross training with weights, that means you think crossfit is good cross training with weights. I'm in agreement that strength training to address weaknesses is a good thing. Crossfit  on the other hand is 100% bad for triathlon training.

well that is a blanket statement that isn't accurate.

During race specific build, yes probably not good.

In the off-season? Much better time for its place in the training cycle.

CrossFit is just not WOD's as many assume it is.
2013-10-29 2:03 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I don't think my reply was doing the same thing back at them.  I felt my reply was respectful and constructive.  I don't think that a reply that says, boy I'm NOT going to reply to THIS one is constructive as it just shows disdain for the topic without sharing any valid or helpful information.  By replying, I was hoping maybe the thread could take a more constructive tone, and it did.

As far as the OP itself goes, there has been talk of crossfit or ST for correction of overuse injuries; however, many biomechanical issues go much further back than that and stem from how a person's body developed from birth.  I think sometimes that very successful endurance athletes forget that not everyone's bodies were made with good symmetry, or with every joint and connective tissue optimally functional, or with feet that will provide necessary stability, etc.  Some issues just aren't fully correctable and will create big hurdles when adding mileage, especially with running and riding.

I think for those of us in that category, endurance athletics or really, repetitive motion will always leave us feeling more beat up than something like ST or crossfit just because of the simple fact that those activities are not as repetitive by nature.  So in that regard I can relate to the OP.

I'll respectfully, though not constructively, disagree.  With what?  You decide. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance only training can break you Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Broken or Not Broken - make your guess!

Started by fisherman76
Views: 1422 Posts: 8

2012-03-21 12:24 AM Left Brain

Swimming workouts...breaks or no breaks?

Started by EABonney
Views: 1360 Posts: 10

2007-06-26 10:09 PM mman

A 1st - broke 100 miles running, broke 7 min barrier in run

Started by jpb0009
Views: 1347 Posts: 9

2006-06-28 4:42 PM jpb0009

Breaking up training - how do you do it.

Started by Wookiee
Views: 1408 Posts: 19

2004-08-11 9:51 PM infosteward

Endurance / Strength Training - Conflict?

Started by malvey
Views: 1220 Posts: 8

2004-01-26 7:51 AM tboepple
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
comments : 0
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.
date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.

date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.
date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.

date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.