Other Resources The Political Joe » What is single payer healthcare? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-10-30 11:44 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: What is single payer healthcare?

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by Jackemy1
Originally posted by dmiller5

I'm not sure if this is quantifiable, but wouldn't some costs be reduced through people not using emergency rooms as primary care and other things like that? If those prices are built into the system already, wouldn't that reduce health care costs across the board?

How do you address cost in a market model that completely removes price between the supplier and the consumer. When a product is "free" to the consumer how does the supplier control the cost to supply the product?

Well first of all it isn't free to the consumer, the government would be paying for something, and by law it must go to the best bid at the lowest price point.

Also, should healthcare really be something that we let demand dictate the price. You really need that surgery don't you, well in that case its going to really cost ya. Healthcare should be removed from that capitalist system. Just as I believe education should be.

In a normal market transaction, I go to the store and pick out something I want. If the price is acceptable, I pay for it. If it is too high, I put it back and shop around for a better deal. In a single payor transaction, I go to the store and pick out something I want and I walk out. The guy who owns the market then goes to the government to get payment. I can care less what the cost of good was as that transaction doesn't come out of my account. It is "free" to me as I gave up no additional assets as a result of the transaction.

this is exactly how health insurance works today.  you don't need a single payor system to have consumers know nothing about the cost of their healthcare.

Correct, and that is exactly why healthcare "costs" are out of control.  There's no demand control at all.  However, this is only how it works with people who have insurance.  If you give everyone insurance (ACA) or make it single payer then the demand skyrockets and the rise in cost still occurs it just goes to the government or the insurance.  If we then continue allowing half the country to not pay taxes or get free insurance (ACA) then they feel no ill effects and their demand remains infinite.

right, but a great part of the cost of care is the convoluted system we have right now.  in THEORY, single payor is motivated to get best rates, and costs of managing the system is significantly lower for the healthcare providers.  the whole system is a mess.  have you every tried to price an MRI?  they (medical imaging offices) can't do it.  it's a joke.  even with a school loan i can shop around for a competitive price!

2013-10-30 11:49 AM

User image

I'm not sure if this is quantifiable, but wouldn't some costs be reduced through people not using emergency rooms as primary care and other things like that? If those prices are built into the system already, wouldn't that reduce health care costs across the board?

How do you address cost in a market model that completely removes price between the supplier and the consumer. When a product is "free" to the consumer how does the supplier control the cost to supply the product?

Well first of all it isn't free to the consumer, the government would be paying for something, and by law it must go to the best bid at the lowest price point.

Also, should healthcare really be something that we let demand dictate the price. You really need that surgery don't you, well in that case its going to really cost ya. Healthcare should be removed from that capitalist system. Just as I believe education should be.

In a normal market transaction, I go to the store and pick out something I want. If the price is acceptable, I pay for it. If it is too high, I put it back and shop around for a better deal. In a single payor transaction, I go to the store and pick out something I want and I walk out. The guy who owns the market then goes to the government to get payment. I can care less what the cost of good was as that transaction doesn't come out of my account. It is "free" to me as I gave up no additional assets as a result of the transaction.

this is exactly how health insurance works today.  you don't need a single payor system to have consumers know nothing about the cost of their healthcare.

Correct, and that is exactly why healthcare "costs" are out of control.  There's no demand control at all.  However, this is only how it works with people who have insurance.  If you give everyone insurance (ACA) or make it single payer then the demand skyrockets and the rise in cost still occurs it just goes to the government or the insurance.  If we then continue allowing half the country to not pay taxes or get free insurance (ACA) then they feel no ill effects and their demand remains infinite.

You are right it is how it works today.

I would also think most everyone from all sides of the political spectrum will agree that it is a terrible model to control costs. But putting that model on steroids which is what you are doing with single payor won't fix it unless you measurably ration access. So in the end result is everyone has health care insurance but no one has health care access.
2013-10-30 12:38 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

I was too lazy to read this whole thread but do you mean like what we have (or you think we have) in Canada?

I must say that without "having a dog in the fight" as they say our house has talked about the American system and we really don't get it. We have come to the conclusion for us it is just a completely different mind set. I was raised in NZ and Canada both and we (meaning me and my friends and family) just have a core fundamental believe that everyone in our country should be treated equally in the system and it is a right not a privilege to get adequate health care.

You can argue that "some" will milk the system because of bad health choices. But I can also say that all my family both sides have lived healthy, active, productive lives. I still spent 2 years as a teenager almost dying from something unpreventable, my husband lost is first wife to cancer, my husband has a hereditary heart problem. If you had to pay for even my time in the hospital 30 years ago we will still be paying if we didn't have insurance. That scares me.

Whew there is my 1 cents worth
2013-10-30 1:40 PM
in reply to: purestone

User image

Elite

Originally posted by purestone I was too lazy to read this whole thread but do you mean like what we have (or you think we have) in Canada? I must say that without "having a dog in the fight" as they say our house has talked about the American system and we really don't get it. We have come to the conclusion for us it is just a completely different mind set. I was raised in NZ and Canada both and we (meaning me and my friends and family) just have a core fundamental believe that everyone in our country should be treated equally in the system and it is a right not a privilege to get adequate health care. You can argue that "some" will milk the system because of bad health choices. But I can also say that all my family both sides have lived healthy, active, productive lives. I still spent 2 years as a teenager almost dying from something unpreventable, my husband lost is first wife to cancer, my husband has a hereditary heart problem. If you had to pay for even my time in the hospital 30 years ago we will still be paying if we didn't have insurance. That scares me. Whew there is my 1 cents worth

The fundamental difference is between a "right" and a "service". Health care is a service. Speech is a right, religion, bearing arms, equal protection... those are fundamental rights. Health insurance, and health care are services provided by a entity. You can't "force" a entity to provide it.

In the US, you would not still be paying for your treatment, it would have been written off long ago. That's what it is here. Nothing "cost" a figure, and people are charged. Non pays, indigent, and uninsured are all rolled into those that do pay. Yes, we are all already paying for that with the premiums we already pay.

The problem that we have today is not enough government, it is too much. Government coupled health care with employment, government took us away from simple customer/provider system and gave us a insurance company/doctor system. They have been "breaking" the system for 40 years with "single payer" being the only logical conclusion. The fact remains, the government is a very very poor cost effective service provider. Way to bloated, too much waste and too much abuse.

The only two thing we need in this country is a law decoupling work and insurance, and a law saying you can't be denied for preexisting. People should be able to shop for health care insurance and care like auto insurance or any other service. Those that provide the best service at the best cost will win. Health care providers could easily startup their own system of free health care clinics... because it would be cheaper than full ER rooms... yes it would have to be a cost rolled into service born by the consumer... but every cost in this country ultimately is born by the consumer. And every cost in this country is ultimately born my the tax payer. Given the choice, I would much rather pay a cost over a tax, and fund a bloated inefficient wasteful system. The Federal government has time and time again proven they can not provide a service as good, as cheap, and as efficiently as private sector. Period.

2013-10-30 1:52 PM

User image

Expert

Unfortunately even those who don't have insurance don't really know the cost.  Except for a few communities (like the Amish) who self-insure, most uninsured people use care anyway at public hospitals who can't deny them care, and then ignore the bills.  Hospitals and physicians write off millions of bad debt each year. 

2013-10-30 2:13 PM

User image

Originally posted by purestone

I was too lazy to read this whole thread but do you mean like what we have (or you think we have) in Canada?

I must say that without "having a dog in the fight" as they say our house has talked about the American system and we really don't get it. We have come to the conclusion for us it is just a completely different mind set. I was raised in NZ and Canada both and we (meaning me and my friends and family) just have a core fundamental believe that everyone in our country should be treated equally in the system and it is a right not a privilege to get adequate health care.

You can argue that "some" will milk the system because of bad health choices. But I can also say that all my family both sides have lived healthy, active, productive lives. I still spent 2 years as a teenager almost dying from something unpreventable, my husband lost is first wife to cancer, my husband has a hereditary heart problem. If you had to pay for even my time in the hospital 30 years ago we will still be paying if we didn't have insurance. That scares me.

Being treated equally in the "system" means treating everyone unequal under the law. I am not saying what you are saying is wrong and I'm right. I just want to point out that you can't make everyone equal without legislating more privileges for some people and less for others.

2013-10-30 2:25 PM

New user
Originally posted by purestone

I don't get this or want it for my healthcare.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/11/report-thousands-fled-canada-for-...
2013-10-30 5:57 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

Your second point poses an interesting philosophical debate. Is health care a right or a privilege?

I don't know what your occupation is but let's say you are a doctor. You went through years of medical school and worked thousands of hours in residency and all the other sacrifices and investments you had to make to put Dr. in front of your name.

Now say I get sick and I need your expertise to fix me. Is it my right to demand that you fix me without any further obligation to you? Or is it a privilege? meaning that I have to pay you to compensate you for the expertise you developed to fix me? Is your expertise and the investment made in yourself owned by you or me?

Chances are as a doctor your expertise were not only gained by your own ambition and talents but also through a public schooling system that uses tax money. Tax money that I paid in to help your government backed student loans. Tax money that went to the University to help build the learning facilities. Tax money that went to do the research so that you can understand and treat my ailment. So since I helped pay for your education and knowledge to a certain degree then yes your expertise and investment made to yourself is owed to me. It's part of a society; we ask some people to be doctors so they can take care of us when we are sick. Some people make cars, some people clean toilets. So yes, health care is a right and not a privilege.
2013-10-30 6:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by burhed

Your second point poses an interesting philosophical debate. Is health care a right or a privilege? I don't know what your occupation is but let's say you are a doctor. You went through years of medical school and worked thousands of hours in residency and all the other sacrifices and investments you had to make to put Dr. in front of your name. Now say I get sick and I need your expertise to fix me. Is it my right to demand that you fix me without any further obligation to you? Or is it a privilege? meaning that I have to pay you to compensate you for the expertise you developed to fix me? Is your expertise and the investment made in yourself owned by you or me?
Chances are as a doctor your expertise were not only gained by your own ambition and talents but also through a public schooling system that uses tax money. Tax money that I paid in to help your government backed student loans. Tax money that went to the University to help build the learning facilities. Tax money that went to do the research so that you can understand and treat my ailment. So since I helped pay for your education and knowledge to a certain degree then yes your expertise and investment made to yourself is owed to me. It's part of a society; we ask some people to be doctors so they can take care of us when we are sick. Some people make cars, some people clean toilets. So yes, health care is a right and not a privilege.

OK, I'm going to have a little fun with this, but I'm trying to point out the flaw with this argument.  You can make the exact same argument with any service that anybody provides.

Chances are as a lawyer your expertise were not only gained by your own ambition and talents but also through a public schooling system that uses tax money. Tax money that I paid in to help your government backed student loans. Tax money that went to the University to help build the learning facilities. Tax money that went to do the research so that you can understand and defend my case. So since I helped pay for your education and knowledge to a certain degree then yes your expertise and investment made to yourself is owed to me. It's part of a society; we ask some people to be lawyers so they can take care of us when we are in trouble. Some people make cars, some people clean toilets. So yes, legal defense is a right and not a privilege.

Chances are as a plumber your expertise were not only gained by your own ambition and talents but also through a public schooling system that uses tax money. Tax money that I paid in to help your government backed student loans. Tax money that went to the University to help build the learning facilities. Tax money that went to do the research so that you can understand and fix my toilet. So since I helped pay for your education and knowledge to a certain degree then yes your expertise and investment made to yourself is owed to me. It's part of a society; we ask some people to be plumbers so they can take care of our house when it has trouble. Some people make cars, some people treat patients. So yes, legal defense is a right and not a privilege.

**edit

ok, on second thought the lawyer is probably a bad example because you do have a right to an attorney, lol.  But I think you get the idea.  

Edited by tuwood 2013-10-30 6:23 PM
2013-10-30 7:55 PM

User image

Elite

Your second point poses an interesting philosophical debate. Is health care a right or a privilege? I don't know what your occupation is but let's say you are a doctor. You went through years of medical school and worked thousands of hours in residency and all the other sacrifices and investments you had to make to put Dr. in front of your name. Now say I get sick and I need your expertise to fix me. Is it my right to demand that you fix me without any further obligation to you? Or is it a privilege? meaning that I have to pay you to compensate you for the expertise you developed to fix me? Is your expertise and the investment made in yourself owned by you or me?

Then you will be very happy when you move to Russia. That is not an insult or a dig. If you want to live under a communist form of government, then move to a country that has one. This isn't one of them. This is a representitive republic, where the individual has rights. And owning your work is one of them. As for all the great stuff taxes pay for... that doctor is going to pay much much more than most of his clients. It all works out.

Edited by powerman 2013-10-30 7:58 PM
2013-10-30 8:07 PM

OK, I'm going to have a little fun with this, but I'm trying to point out the flaw with this argument.  You can make the exact same argument with any service that anybody provides.

Chances are as a lawyer your expertise were not only gained by your own ambition and talents but also through a public schooling system that uses tax money. Tax money that I paid in to help your government backed student loans. Tax money that went to the University to help build the learning facilities. Tax money that went to do the research so that you can understand and defend my case. So since I helped pay for your education and knowledge to a certain degree then yes your expertise and investment made to yourself is owed to me. It's part of a society; we ask some people to be lawyers so they can take care of us when we are in trouble. Some people make cars, some people clean toilets. So yes, legal defense is a right and not a privilege.

Chances are as a plumber your expertise were not only gained by your own ambition and talents but also through a public schooling system that uses tax money. Tax money that I paid in to help your government backed student loans. Tax money that went to the University to help build the learning facilities. Tax money that went to do the research so that you can understand and fix my toilet. So since I helped pay for your education and knowledge to a certain degree then yes your expertise and investment made to yourself is owed to me. It's part of a society; we ask some people to be plumbers so they can take care of our house when it has trouble. Some people make cars, some people treat patients. So yes, legal defense is a right and not a privilege.

**edit

ok, on second thought the lawyer is probably a bad example because you do have a right to an attorney, lol.  But I think you get the idea.  

So since admitting the lawyer example isn't a good example does that mean you agree with my point? There is a right to an attorney per our constitution (ok, I'll admit I don't know if it's actually in the constitution, but some where in the founding documents I assume). I would assume this was included as it was decided to be for the common good. Perhaps we can change a bit and say quality healthcare is a right for the common good? My point was more in rebuttal to the post that health care is a privilege. I hindsight I would say it should mostly be a right but there is certainly some privilege to it as well.

2013-10-30 8:45 PM
in reply to: burhed

User image

Master
Beijing

Ah, yes.  "You didn't build that."   I know this argument.  :^)   ( I keed, I keed!)

2013-10-31 7:01 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

**edit

So since admitting the lawyer example isn't a good example does that mean you agree with my point? There is a right to an attorney per our constitution (ok, I'll admit I don't know if it's actually in the constitution, but some where in the founding documents I assume). I would assume this was included as it was decided to be for the common good. Perhaps we can change a bit and say quality healthcare is a right for the common good? My point was more in rebuttal to the post that health care is a privilege. I hindsight I would say it should mostly be a right but there is certainly some privilege to it as well.

I couldn't disagree more with your point.  

The lawyer example wasn't a good example because we have a right to an attorney as part of our right to a fair trial.  The Supreme court ruled that everyone has this right and in the event that an individual cannot afford an attorney the state must provide an attorney. (public defender)

In the case of a defense attorney you do have a constitutional right to have one and the government provides one, but the government pays the attorney to represent you.  This has nothing to do with the government educating the attorney so therefore you have the right to use his services.

2013-10-31 7:35 AM

New user

Your second point poses an interesting philosophical debate. Is health care a right or a privilege?

I don't know what your occupation is but let's say you are a doctor. You went through years of medical school and worked thousands of hours in residency and all the other sacrifices and investments you had to make to put Dr. in front of your name.

Now say I get sick and I need your expertise to fix me. Is it my right to demand that you fix me without any further obligation to you? Or is it a privilege? meaning that I have to pay you to compensate you for the expertise you developed to fix me? Is your expertise and the investment made in yourself owned by you or me?

The problem this nation faces financially as well as culturally is summed up by the words that you used "owed to me". You need to face the reality that no one "owes" you or anyone else a damn thing. If someone wants to help you or anyone that is great and what makes a society stronger. If you believe people "owe" you healthcare (insurance) then go door to door yourself and ask for people to give you money so you can have it. But don't have the gov., with the threat criminally prosecuting me, force me to take away from my family to give you anything.

Edited by NXS 2013-10-31 7:36 AM
2013-10-31 7:48 AM
in reply to: NXS

Originally posted by NXS

The problem this nation faces financially as well as culturally is summed up by the words that you used "owed to me". You need to face the reality that no one "owes" you or anyone else a damn thing. If someone wants to help you or anyone that is great and what makes a society stronger. If you believe people "owe" you healthcare (insurance) then go door to door yourself and ask for people to give you money so you can have it. But don't have the gov., with the threat criminally prosecuting me, force me to take away from my family to give you anything.

So don't have the government "force" your money from you for things like police, fire, military etc? If I pay taxes into something then yes, somebody does owe me something back. Same as if I pay for a private service. My point is to maybe re-think how we feel about quality healthcare. Maybe it should be a right. Maybe "a right" is not the best term. Maybe make it on par with police, fire and military. We all pay in and everybody gets equal coverage. And as with police, fire and military if you have the means you can pay for extra (your own security, or fire alarm in your house).
2013-10-31 8:00 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS

So don't have the government "force" your money from you for things like police, fire, military etc? If I pay taxes into something then yes, somebody does owe me something back. Same as if I pay for a private service. My point is to maybe re-think how we feel about quality healthcare. Maybe it should be a right. Maybe "a right" is not the best term. Maybe make it on par with police, fire and military. We all pay in and everybody gets equal coverage. And as with police, fire and military if you have the means you can pay for extra (your own security, or fire alarm in your house).

Do you really want this though?  Often when people describe equal coverage they think of everyone having access to the excellent care they are currently receiving.  However, equal care doesn't equate into giving everyone excellent care it means giving everyone "equal" care so your care will not be at the same level you're accustomed to today.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for everyone having access to healthcare and I'm the first to say that our old system was jacked up.  However, there are much better solutions out there to fix the problem vs. just throwing our hands up and accepting a base "equal" healthcare for all with a single payer system.

2013-10-31 8:37 AM

Originally posted by NXS

Do you really want this though?  Often when people describe equal coverage they think of everyone having access to the excellent care they are currently receiving.  However, equal care doesn't equate into giving everyone excellent care it means giving everyone "equal" care so your care will not be at the same level you're accustomed to today.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for everyone having access to healthcare and I'm the first to say that our old system was jacked up.  However, there are much better solutions out there to fix the problem vs. just throwing our hands up and accepting a base "equal" healthcare for all with a single payer system.

You mean we are almost agreeing?!?!? Awesome. So what is the way to fix the problem if it's not Obamacare (and I know that is not a perfect fix). It seems the republicans only solution is no Obamacare but nothing else. I admit to not going looking for what the current republican fix would be; although I thought that the Heritage Foundations idea before Obama was to have an individual mandate.

Perhaps a combination of single payer and private. As you mentioned people do not want to have less quality care than they have now. To use the police example, perhaps the single payer system provides the baseline coverage for most people and if you want more then you pay into extra private insurance. Everybody gets basic police coverage but if you want more then you pay for a home security system. Major over simplification, but just a thought.
2013-10-31 9:16 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS

You mean we are almost agreeing?!?!? Awesome. So what is the way to fix the problem if it's not Obamacare (and I know that is not a perfect fix). It seems the republicans only solution is no Obamacare but nothing else. I admit to not going looking for what the current republican fix would be; although I thought that the Heritage Foundations idea before Obama was to have an individual mandate. Perhaps a combination of single payer and private. As you mentioned people do not want to have less quality care than they have now. To use the police example, perhaps the single payer system provides the baseline coverage for most people and if you want more then you pay into extra private insurance. Everybody gets basic police coverage but if you want more then you pay for a home security system. Major over simplification, but just a thought.

lol, I'd say we're pretty close.  

To look at the "fix" for the old healthcare issue you first have to look at what the problem is.  The problem is that healthcare costs were increasing at a rate far greater than the cost of living.  Insurance rates as a result were increasing at a rapid rate to keep up.  There are many drivers to the increase in healthcare costs, but the primary one IMHO was similar to what we were discussing above about demand control.  With HMO's and low copay type insurance programs provided by employers the actual users of healthcare weren't feeling the appropriate level of pain when it came to paying the costs.  So the demand for the service has remained very high.  The Medical facilities continue to raise their rates higher and higher to reduce the demand.  However, the consumer doesn't really see these increases because their insurance maybe went up $50/mo. or their copay increased by $5.  Their company may even absorb the increase in premium, so there's just no real reduction in demand so the prices keep shooting through the roof.

The net result is the individuals who aren't fortunate enough to have a job that provides insurance cannot afford to just go to a doctor due to the inflated prices.  They also cannot afford to buy insurance by themselves because the rates are very high due to the overall cost of healthcare services.

So the ACA only looked at two things.  They saw people without insurance so the solution is obviously to create something that just gives people insurance. So, they created a law that's intent was to do just that, but unfortunately that's it only addresses a symptom of the problem and not the actual source.  The addition of millions of new people with insurance will do nothing more than drive healthcare costs even higher because the supply is still the same.  When these costs go up and up the insurance will go up and up and even with all of the subsidies and exchanges the insurance will be even less affordable for everyone.  So, billions (or trillions) of dollars down the tubes and the exact same problem of tens of millions of people without healthcare coverage.

I agree with you that the Republicans haven't come up with a compelling alternative to the ACA and the approach of just bashing the ACA is not a winning strategy.  I personally feel we need to address the source of the problem and stop trying to fix the symptoms.

1) Get healthcare out of businesses and remove the tax credit for employers.  The actual consumers of healthcare need to write the check every month for healthcare so they feel the true costs.

2) get rid of PPO and HMO type plans so that individuals have to pay a certain amount of their coverage out of pocket every year.  If I'm cutting a check for $200 to go to the doctor I'm more likely to go when I need to vs. a $20 copay where I go for every sniffle.

3) mandate everyone have a base level of coverage such as a catastrophic insurance plan with a $25k deductible or something like that.  This will at the least prevent people who are otherwise healthy from running up $500k in medical debt if they are unfortunate enough to contract something.  This type of insurance should be very cheap and if you're at a certain income level it can be subsidized by the govt.

4) remove stupid state wide boundary's for insurance companies.  Let people shop around for insurance.  If I only have 2 options in my state then prices are naturally going to be higher.

I like to compare the tuwood plan to automobile insurance.  We mandate that everyone who drives has to have liability insurance on their car.  Everyone has the option to buy fancy plans with full coverage and zero deductibles, but they don't have to if they don't want to.  I can go to probably 100 companies nationwide and shop around for car insurance and when I get a chip in my windshield I make the decision to just pay to have it replaced because I don't want it to effect my rates.  I also drive carefully because I don't want my insurance to go up.  I feel the pain on the demand side, so I keep my demand for car insurance VERY low.

As for poor people, there are currently programs that offer healthcare insurance for them (prior to ACA) but I'm not horribly opposed to doing a hybrid type approach like you mentioned with government provided clinics in high need areas.  If you show you're on welfare or whatever, then you can get free healthcare.  It sounds kind of silly, but I would almost bet it would have been a ton cheaper than ACA to put free single payer clinics in every major city and leave everything else alone.

Either way, we need a balanced approach that addresses the cause of the high healthcare costs.  There are other things affecting the costs as well that can be addressed through tort reform and sensible regulations, but I'm just starting with what I see as the heavy hitter.

2013-10-31 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by NXS

You mean we are almost agreeing?!?!? Awesome. So what is the way to fix the problem if it's not Obamacare (and I know that is not a perfect fix). It seems the republicans only solution is no Obamacare but nothing else. I admit to not going looking for what the current republican fix would be; although I thought that the Heritage Foundations idea before Obama was to have an individual mandate. Perhaps a combination of single payer and private. As you mentioned people do not want to have less quality care than they have now. To use the police example, perhaps the single payer system provides the baseline coverage for most people and if you want more then you pay into extra private insurance. Everybody gets basic police coverage but if you want more then you pay for a home security system. Major over simplification, but just a thought.

To look at the "fix" for the old healthcare issue you first have to look at what the problem is.  The problem is that healthcare costs were increasing at a rate far greater than the cost of living.  Insurance rates as a result were increasing at a rapid rate to keep up.  There are many drivers to the increase in healthcare costs, but the primary one IMHO was similar to what we were discussing above about demand control.  With HMO's and low copay type insurance programs provided by employers the actual users of healthcare weren't feeling the appropriate level of pain when it came to paying the costs.  So the demand for the service has remained very high.  The Medical facilities continue to raise their rates higher and higher to reduce the demand.  However, the consumer doesn't really see these increases because their insurance maybe went up $50/mo. or their copay increased by $5.  Their company may even absorb the increase in premium, so there's just no real reduction in demand so the prices keep shooting through the roof.

The net result is the individuals who aren't fortunate enough to have a job that provides insurance cannot afford to just go to a doctor due to the inflated prices.  They also cannot afford to buy insurance by themselves because the rates are very high due to the overall cost of healthcare services.

So the ACA only looked at two things.  They saw people without insurance so the solution is obviously to create something that just gives people insurance. So, they created a law that's intent was to do just that, but unfortunately that's it only addresses a symptom of the problem and not the actual source.  The addition of millions of new people with insurance will do nothing more than drive healthcare costs even higher because the supply is still the same.  When these costs go up and up the insurance will go up and up and even with all of the subsidies and exchanges the insurance will be even less affordable for everyone.  So, billions (or trillions) of dollars down the tubes and the exact same problem of tens of millions of people without healthcare coverage.

I agree with you that the Republicans haven't come up with a compelling alternative to the ACA and the approach of just bashing the ACA is not a winning strategy.  I personally feel we need to address the source of the problem and stop trying to fix the symptoms.

1) Get healthcare out of businesses and remove the tax credit for employers.  The actual consumers of healthcare need to write the check every month for healthcare so they feel the true costs.

2) get rid of PPO and HMO type plans so that individuals have to pay a certain amount of their coverage out of pocket every year.  If I'm cutting a check for $200 to go to the doctor I'm more likely to go when I need to vs. a $20 copay where I go for every sniffle.

3) mandate everyone have a base level of coverage such as a catastrophic insurance plan with a $25k deductible or something like that.  This will at the least prevent people who are otherwise healthy from running up $500k in medical debt if they are unfortunate enough to contract something.  This type of insurance should be very cheap and if you're at a certain income level it can be subsidized by the govt.

4) remove stupid state wide boundary's for insurance companies.  Let people shop around for insurance.  If I only have 2 options in my state then prices are naturally going to be higher.

I like to compare the tuwood plan to automobile insurance.  We mandate that everyone who drives has to have liability insurance on their car.  Everyone has the option to buy fancy plans with full coverage and zero deductibles, but they don't have to if they don't want to.  I can go to probably 100 companies nationwide and shop around for car insurance and when I get a chip in my windshield I make the decision to just pay to have it replaced because I don't want it to effect my rates.  I also drive carefully because I don't want my insurance to go up.  I feel the pain on the demand side, so I keep my demand for car insurance VERY low.

As for poor people, there are currently programs that offer healthcare insurance for them (prior to ACA) but I'm not horribly opposed to doing a hybrid type approach like you mentioned with government provided clinics in high need areas.  If you show you're on welfare or whatever, then you can get free healthcare.  It sounds kind of silly, but I would almost bet it would have been a ton cheaper than ACA to put free single payer clinics in every major city and leave everything else alone.

Either way, we need a balanced approach that addresses the cause of the high healthcare costs.  There are other things affecting the costs as well that can be addressed through tort reform and sensible regulations, but I'm just starting with what I see as the heavy hitter.

tuwood for president.

I like the majority of what you are saying, I think your 25k deductible thing is a bit crazy though. If you are making 30k a year......

What about an amendment to the tuwood plan where certain procedures, lets say thing like chemo, or open heart surgery etc. are covered, with no deductible. This kind of happen a bit anyways if someone who can't pay has a heart attack and gets taken to the hospital.

2013-10-31 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS

tuwood for president.

I like the majority of what you are saying, I think your 25k deductible thing is a bit crazy though. If you are making 30k a year......

What about an amendment to the tuwood plan where certain procedures, lets say thing like chemo, or open heart surgery etc. are covered, with no deductible. This kind of happen a bit anyways if someone who can't pay has a heart attack and gets taken to the hospital.

lol, my thought on the $25k type deductible wasn't about the ability of people to pay for it because even somebody making $100k would likely have a tough time paying a $25k deductible.  I was more thinking about mandating a low cost catastrophic insurance that caps the amount of debt people would go into in the event of a catastrophic medical event.  No matter how much or little anyone makes, a $25k debt to work on is a lot easier to deal with than a $500k debt.

I think there's plenty of room for alternative plans though as well.  The marketplace would likely offer plans such as you mentioned, so the minimum required would be something like I mentioned, for say $50/mo and then offer a catastrophic cancer plan with 0 deductible for cancer treatment for $75/mo or something like that.

2013-10-31 10:17 AM

New user

Originally posted by NXS

Why does someone who is a total consumer of gov. freebies (housing, welfare, food stamps, utilities, phone, you get the idea) and who are capable of working, deserve equal or better healthcare than someone busting his or her butt to make a living to provide for their family?

tony's points are a good place to start, as most only need catastrophic coverage. Also a HSA would be good to add in. The more responsible you make people for their healthcare the better. It used to be people had a rainy day fund to cover all sorts of emergencies including medical. The prob is today, its no longer a rainy day fund, but a vacation, boat, carbon bike, big toy fund. Its our own priorities have gotten so out of wack that we expect others to pay for our personal problems/liabilities that come up in our lives.

2013-10-31 10:24 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Because we are people, and people deserve to have their ailments treated.

A rainy day fund is good for a broken arm or a cavity. It doesn't cover cancer treatments, MRI's, Catscans, major surgeries. As mentioned before, healthcare costs have surpassed an individual's ability to pay for them.

2013-10-31 10:59 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Because we are people, and people deserve to have their ailments treated.

A rainy day fund is good for a broken arm or a cavity. It doesn't cover cancer treatments, MRI's, Catscans, major surgeries. As mentioned before, healthcare costs have surpassed an individual's ability to pay for them.

Would you say that because we all deserve to have our ailments treated that we should ALL pitch in and help pay for it?  

Currently we have 50% of the country paying 100% of the Federal taxes, so if we went to a full single payer system and maintained the same tax structure we'd have 50% of the country paying for 100% of the healthcare.

I know i've said it several times, but the countries that have single payer systems tax all of their citizens, so if we do decide to move forward with a single payer system as a nation we will have to drastically alter how we tax our poor at the Federal level.

2013-10-31 11:07 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by jeffnboise

I hear it mentioned from time to time and I don't really know how it works. So what is single payer healthcare and how would it change my life if such a system were implemented I know this is political joe, but really I just want an explanation not why dems love it or the GOP hates it.

Thanks for clarifying that!  lol

(however, I, personally don't give it x5 responses before it goes Red/Blue)

congratulations to ALL...we made it waaaay past x5 responses.

AND, have one of the best exchanges of ideas EVER on COJP.

I 'heart' you people. 

2013-10-31 11:46 AM

User image

Elite

I couldn't disagree more with your point.  

The lawyer example wasn't a good example because we have a right to an attorney as part of our right to a fair trial.  The Supreme court ruled that everyone has this right and in the event that an individual cannot afford an attorney the state must provide an attorney. (public defender)

In the case of a defense attorney you do have a constitutional right to have one and the government provides one, but the government pays the attorney to represent you.  This has nothing to do with the government educating the attorney so therefore you have the right to use his services.

You also have the right not to use the attorney and to represent yourself.

But not with Obamacare... you will be fined for doing so.

Edited by powerman 2013-10-31 11:53 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » What is single payer healthcare? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Healthcare.gov

Started by tuwood
Views: 1449 Posts: 13

2013-10-15 5:36 PM tuwood

So much for keeping my companies current healthcare plan

Started by tuwood
Views: 1638 Posts: 13

2013-07-31 8:43 AM chirunner134
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Although a computrainer can be a great asset to any athlete, it’s not the only way to improve your pedal stroke. I’ll list a number of pedaling drills below and how you can incorporate them.

date : February 15, 2013
author : XLAB Hydration
XLAB Launches the Latest Rear Single Bottle System, the DELTA 300
date : November 9, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
What can you do? You can implement small but sustainable changes that you can happily maintain for the rest of your life. The changes might have more to do with lifestyle than food.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
The single arm drill ensures that you are getting the rotation you need throughout your stroke.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : September 11, 2007
Bosu ball single leg squats stability exercise with picture and video.

date : September 11, 2007
Bosu Ball Hip Abduction - single leg stability exercise with picture and video.