Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 80

2014-01-23 12:00 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: TAN 202: A bunch of rotTAN apples

TAN BATCHES!  Did you read "Dawn" and all the trashy VC Andrews novels in middle school like me?  Did you know Lifetime made a movie out of it?  I am watching it tonight and cannot WAIT.

2014-01-23 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by mehaner

TAN BATCHES!  Did you read "Dawn" and all the trashy VC Andrews novels in middle school like me?  Did you know Lifetime made a movie out of it?  I am watching it tonight and cannot WAIT.

I'll bet even odds Brian Denehey is in it. He's in every Lifetime movie.
2014-01-23 2:46 PM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by pitt83

nope but it DOES include heather graham, kiernan shipka, and ellen freaking burstyn.

2014-01-23 2:52 PM

User image

Champion

nope but it DOES include heather graham, kiernan shipka, and ellen freaking burstyn.

Does Heather Graham get nekkid? Cause she LOVES to show off her bewbies!
2014-01-23 4:10 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

And I thank her for that.  Feeling the need to go watch Boogie Nights.

2014-01-23 5:26 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by cgregg

And I thank her for that.  Feeling the need to go watch Boogie Nights.

Much like Jennifer Jason Leigh in the 80's, seems like anytime she showed up them bewbies were sure to make an appearance.

2014-01-24 7:00 AM

User image

Champion
Back to back to back teleconferences this morning. And I scheduled all 3. #notthinking.....
2014-01-24 7:08 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Mornin' TAN, TGIMFF!!

2014-01-24 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

7 days 13+ hours until I have an alcoholic beverage.  My week at work has me thinking that I should have a bottle in my desk!!!

2014-01-24 9:11 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by flip18436572

7 days 13+ hours until I have an alcoholic beverage.  My week at work has me thinking that I should have a bottle in my desk!!! 

Haha I am doing the same count down.
We've had such a crazy week at work - last night my co-worker texted me a photo of the beer he was enjoying. I had half a mind to text him the treadmill display I was staring at just then, but decided against it.

2014-01-24 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

I hate small city government!!!  I built an art piece as requested and made it the size that was requested.  It is out of .360" (almost 3/8") wire and is only the outline of the tree.  The plan is for it to go into a planting bed with flowers near the downtown of a small town.  Their are 8 planters total,  and the area they are going into are on a one way "city square" traffic with a city park in the center.  There are businesses only on the outside of the town square and.4 of the planters would never be any visual blind spot for drivers because of the one way traffic.  The other 4 could only be an issue if there were no cars ever parked on the outside of the "square" and if the pieces were solid.  The city is saying that even though this is being requested by the business owners and the people taking care of the planters, it is not acceptable within the city code.  This is not being paid for with any city funds, would not be maintained by any city employee, nor would it be requested or required that the city install them.  But, we can put a 36" tall concrete "trash can" in a similar position, that actually does block the vision of the person in a vehicle stopped at the stop sign.  Thank you city government!!!!!!!!. 

It probably doesn't help that I am not well liked by the city administrator, as I am one of the few people in the small town that pushed very hard for the last 15 years to get what little of a trail system that we actually have.

2014-01-24 9:45 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Regular
Madrid
Its been a week from h3ll here too. Conf call after conf call that get nowhere. Variable compensation (not to be called bonus anymore) announcement week followed by neverending conversations of listening to how people are worth so much more than they're paid. 1 hour 15 minutes to go. Nothing more to add.
2014-01-24 10:01 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

7 years, 6 months, 24 days since I've had an alcoholic beverage.... and I can't possibly imagine one making anything better (unless we're talking about cooking with it and boiling all that alcohol out).  

Relaxation, stress relief, that "vacation feeling" - those things aren't in a bottle, it's all in your mind; it's all a matter of perspective and your willingness & ability to accept things as they are.  You cannot successfully treat feeling "down" with a depressant.

2014-01-24 10:58 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

7 years, 6 months, 24 days since I've had an alcoholic beverage.... and I can't possibly imagine one making anything better (unless we're talking about cooking with it and boiling all that alcohol out).  

Relaxation, stress relief, that "vacation feeling" - those things aren't in a bottle, it's all in your mind; it's all a matter of perspective and your willingness & ability to accept things as they are.  You cannot successfully treat feeling "down" with a depressant.

I like your attitude, Chris!
I also like pinot noir. I do not have an addictive personality (except when it comes to triathlon ) and quitting for a month helped me prove that. I've joked around here on TAN but in reality it's not a big deal to skip a few ounces of wine when I wanted it. It's also not a big deal (for me) to partake. We are all so different and it's great to hear all sides of this issue. 

2014-01-24 11:04 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Since you are counting down to the day over the last 7+ years, I'm assuming you had a problem.  So congrats on getting over it if that's the case..  I agree with your physiologic and psychological assessment of it.  However, being in Vegas and all, I'm going to bet that Flip was JOKING about needing a bottle at his desk.

For those who DON'T have a problem with it and DON'T think that it's supposed to make life better in and of itself, or think that a solution to life's problems are in a bottle, an alcoholic beverage can be something that's enjoyable just because it is.

Some people like to eat and snack.  Some like to workout.  Some people like the watch TV or play video games to unwind.  Some like to read.  If I'm having a good day, or a bad day or just want something "fun" or a "treat", I may have an espresso, or a bourbon and water, or ice cream cone - or not depending on my mood.

What I don't understand is why people with problems WOULD think some liquid/bottle has solutions in it.  It's beyond my comprehension to think that in the first place - probably just as much as they don't understand why people can have a drink with no other reason/meaning than because it's a treat - and can separate having a drink from trying to solve emotional issues.  They probably CAN'T separate drinking from some bigger issues.  Having in bourbon and water voer the weekend is just the same thing TO ME as having a soda or venti mocha from starbucks.  None solve any problems other than at that moment, they sound like a fun treat.

2014-01-24 11:33 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

Since you are counting down to the day over the last 7+ years, I'm assuming you had a problem.  So congrats on getting over it if that's the case..  I agree with your physiologic and psychological assessment of it.  However, being in Vegas and all, I'm going to bet that Flip was JOKING about needing a bottle at his desk.

For those who DON'T have a problem with it and DON'T think that it's supposed to make life better in and of itself, or think that a solution to life's problems are in a bottle, an alcoholic beverage can be something that's enjoyable just because it is.

Some people like to eat and snack.  Some like to workout.  Some people like the watch TV or play video games to unwind.  Some like to read.  If I'm having a good day, or a bad day or just want something "fun" or a "treat", I may have an espresso, or a bourbon and water, or ice cream cone - or not depending on my mood.

What I don't understand is why people with problems WOULD think some liquid/bottle has solutions in it.  It's beyond my comprehension to think that in the first place - probably just as much as they don't understand why people can have a drink with no other reason/meaning than because it's a treat - and can separate having a drink from trying to solve emotional issues.  They probably CAN'T separate drinking from some bigger issues.  Having in bourbon and water voer the weekend is just the same thing TO ME as having a soda or venti mocha from starbucks.  None solve any problems other than at that moment, they sound like a fun treat.

To me - it's the environment. 6 of my friend around a table for happy hour. I could not drink, and enjoy it just as much. Or, I could have a beer - which, right now, I only drink beer while out, not at home, for caloric reasons... either way, I'm relaxing with my friends. When we go to a certain favorite place, I often skip the booze in favor of a milkshake  

More power to you who have a problem, identified it, and fixed it. Alcohol lead to the demise of my last relationship. If you're a strong enough person to admit & fix the issue - THANK YOU.

2014-01-24 11:36 AM

User image

Pro

Agreed.

That vacation feeling came from the top of Gate's Pass yesterday morning. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BerDBRDCMAECdG5.jpg

For some reason, a 40 degree, pre-dawn ride feels good? 

2014-01-24 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

It was meant as nothing but a joke.  I am not a big drinker, but I wanted to take a month off from any alcohol for my own deal, not a part of a program, or a bet with anyone.  Just something I wanted to do and I picked the month of January to do it.  Everyone has their own attitudes towards alcohol and its consumption and that is perfectly fine.  I do plan on drinking alcohol again, because I enjoy different things in life and the different types available.

2014-01-24 11:37 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Champion
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Agreed.

That vacation feeling came from the top of Gate's Pass yesterday morning. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BerDBRDCMAECdG5.jpg

Very nice...
2014-01-24 11:41 AM

User image

Pro

Agreed.

Very nice...

Ha! Speaking of booze - my friend who did the ride with me, who usually surprises me with the most awful butt-kick rides, was pretty hungover. So, it was a nice leisurely climb up the easy side of the pass, then straight back home. No double summits, or "2 hour rides" that really take three hours. 

2014-01-24 11:46 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Agreed.

Very nice...

Ha! Speaking of booze - my friend who did the ride with me, who usually surprises me with the most awful butt-kick rides, was pretty hungover. So, it was a nice leisurely climb up the easy side of the pass, then straight back home. No double summits, or "2 hour rides" that really take three hours. 

MTB or Road?  I keep looking at my 29er and each day it get just a LITTLE more motivated to take it out.  Just a faction more, so it may still take a couple months before I actually do it.

2014-01-24 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i am seriously unmotivated to do ANYTHING today.  this cold snap has slowly put me in a nice depressed funk.  ugh.

2014-01-24 11:53 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

MTB or Road?  I keep looking at my 29er and each day it get just a LITTLE more motivated to take it out.  Just a faction more, so it may still take a couple months before I actually do it.

Road today. I do both with this friend. He convinced me to ride off a drop into a wash and I took a header off my MTB - luckily into soft sand. 

2014-01-24 11:55 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

i am seriously unmotivated to do ANYTHING today.  this cold snap has slowly put me in a nice depressed funk.  ugh.

Same.  Well, unmotivated to do anything work related.  There are all kinds of other things I want to do!

I have the weekend to myself so I'm planning to get a lot of small tasks done - computer backup, change furnace filters, water softener salt and a dozen other things.

SO, question for you or TAN in general.  Ever been in the mood to just buy yourself a fun item?  Just like other things, it doesn't solve an problems, BUT I sort of want a new "thing"!  I'm thinking Bose Quiet comfort headphones or a PS4.  Maybe a new phone?  Not sure, but I was an expensive new toy!  I figure for womenz it's an outfit or shoes!  Any suggestions? 

2014-01-24 11:57 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Road today. I do both with this friend. He convinced me to ride off a drop into a wash and I took a header off my MTB - luckily into soft sand. 

LOL...  I have been pretty lucky in all my riding.  All my crashes have been JUST at the right spot.  Once I did a header over the bars and over the side of a "cliff".  Did a full front flip and landed in a bush about 15 down the slope.  Looking back up, I cleared about 14.5 feet of boulders!  PHEW!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN 202: A bunch of rotTAN apples Rss Feed  

of 80

RELATED POSTS

To tan or not to tan - and I do not mean TAN Pages: 1 2

Started by The Nat
Views: 4754 Posts: 44

2009-03-08 12:02 PM hooslisa

TAN #53 World Champion TAN Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85

Started by TriToy
Views: 28543 Posts: 2116

2008-10-15 3:50 PM lisac957

TAN #51: TAN and Deliver Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85

Started by JChristoff
Views: 22428 Posts: 2119

2008-10-10 2:03 PM 1stTimeTri

TAN #29 The case of the disappearing TAN Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88

Started by TriToy
Views: 33611 Posts: 2190

2008-06-19 7:13 PM Aikidoman

Tan (not TAN) lines Pages: 1 2

Started by JoshKaptur
Views: 2555 Posts: 29

2007-05-31 11:06 PM jknapman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.