Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Incognito Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-11-06 7:35 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Incognito

Pitt, don't take it personal......I'm laughing at the viewpoint in general...because to me it's laughable.  Look, if you want to be protected in the "workplace"....then go get a damn job and join the "workforce".  If you want to make millions playing a brutal game then man up....geez. 

This dog piling of Incognito in the name of "workplace safety" is, I'm sorry, actually beyond laughable.

2013-11-06 8:06 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Originally posted by Left Brain

Pitt, don't take it personal......I'm laughing at the viewpoint in general...because to me it's laughable.  Look, if you want to be protected in the "workplace"....then go get a damn job and join the "workforce".  If you want to make millions playing a brutal game then man up....geez. 

This dog piling of Incognito in the name of "workplace safety" is, I'm sorry, actually beyond laughable.

Hazing - Making someone stand up and eat in the player cafeteria, singing their alma mater fight song, carrying pads, buying meals, shaving one of their eye brows

Harassment - Using racial slurs, threats of violence (when one has witnessed or already been victimized), death threats (context is taken by the receiver).

So....you don't expect someone, no matter what industry they work in, to not be harassed?

Having spent 7 years in NFL locker rooms, for 2 different NFL teams....I'm here to tell you that fights do happen, hazing does happen, but at the end of the day.....they're all brothers, they all have experienced it, and it bonds them. However, I can tell you that team leaders are usually the ones that are in on it and control what goes on. I've never seen a practical joke go beyond just what they are and I've never seen a fight where it wasn't broken up quickly.

Again...either the Dolphins knew that this was going on and did nothing .....or Incognito is "that frat guy" that takes hazing to a whole new level and gets the chapter charter revoked and kicked off campus.
2013-11-06 8:19 AM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Question 1: how was Martin's performance in the job? If coaches encouraged Incognito to "toughen him up" (albeit he chose an abhorrent method to do so), what was lacking in Martin's game to need that?

Question 2: Will Martin play again for the Dolphins? Any team?
2013-11-06 8:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

NM.

Edited by powerman 2013-11-06 8:26 AM
2013-11-06 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

In this case, with this player, there is a problem:

• 2002, bullied player in college so bad that he quit the team
  • 2003, Suspended by Frank Solich for reasons that were never disclosed
  • 2004, charged with 3 counts of assault
  • 2009, headbutted 2 opponents and was released by the St Louis Rams
  • Picked up and quickly released by the Buffalo Bills
  • 2009, voted "Dirtiest Player" in NFL, by NFL players.

These are some of the documented incidents, wait until you start to hear from back office personnel in the Dolphin office.

Seems to me that Mr. Incognito has problems and needs help. This isn't about workplace safety, it is about treatment of other human beings. Play the "tough guy in a tough game" card all you want, he went over the line. A real man controls his temper and knows boundaries. So, maybe he should "Man Up".

2013-11-06 8:31 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
Chicago
Hazing is one thing, using racial slurs and threatening to kill someone is another. Plain and simple, he just took it too far. Sad, too, because there were some pretty funny pranks that took place. Anybody remember Tebow's haircut?

2013-11-06 9:17 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

I'm not saying Incognito is not a bonehead.....and I'm REALLY not ok with calling Martin at home and harrassing him....that could actually be criminal depending on what was said. 

But there is no doubt that he is the leader of that O line.....that's what happens when you don't  keep the big dog on a leash.  Like I said, he's a valued teammate.

But let's face it.....there are alot of "football people" that don't want this to become more than what it is.....and there is no way in hell they want their practice field, locker room, etc. having to play by the same rules as we do "in the workplace".  Can you imagine your boss actually screaming at you?  Can you fight at work?  So is everyone saying that some things are OK but other things that are also against "workplace standards" are not?

I just don't see it as news.....and I will never see it as some kind of workplace issue....not when the rules are OBVIOUSLY not the same as for the rest of us.

2013-11-06 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by pitt83 Question 1: how was Martin's performance in the job? If coaches encouraged Incognito to "toughen him up" (albeit he chose an abhorrent method to do so), what was lacking in Martin's game to need that? Question 2: Will Martin play again for the Dolphins? Any team?

1. I don't know how well Martin performed in his job, so I won't go there.
  2. I would not be surprised to see him playing next year, probably not for the Dolphins though. In the NFL, it boils down to ability. If you have that, you have a job. Or, in the very least, an opportunity for a job.
2013-11-06 9:33 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by pitt83

Question 1: how was Martin's performance in the job? If coaches encouraged Incognito to "toughen him up" (albeit he chose an abhorrent method to do so), what was lacking in Martin's game to need that?

Question 2: Will Martin play again for the Dolphins? Any team?

#1 He started every game last year, 12 at right tackle and 4 at left tackle. He started every game this year until he left the team. He was not the best tackle in the NFL, but the dolphins couldn't find anyone better up until now. He was the 3rd rated tackle in the 2012 draft and taken 42nd overall.

#2 Being one of the top 64 offensive tackles in the world, more likely than not he will be playing in the NFL again.
2013-11-06 9:36 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bradleyd3

Hazing - Making someone stand up and eat in the player cafeteria, singing their alma mater fight song, carrying pads, buying meals, shaving one of their eye brows Harassment - Using racial slurs, threats of violence (when one has witnessed or already been victimized), death threats (context is taken by the receiver). So....you don't expect someone, no matter what industry they work in, to not be harassed? Having spent 7 years in NFL locker rooms, for 2 different NFL teams....I'm here to tell you that fights do happen, hazing does happen, but at the end of the day.....they're all brothers, they all have experienced it, and it bonds them. However, I can tell you that team leaders are usually the ones that are in on it and control what goes on. I've never seen a practical joke go beyond just what they are and I've never seen a fight where it wasn't broken up quickly. Again...either the Dolphins knew that this was going on and did nothing .....or Incognito is "that frat guy" that takes hazing to a whole new level and gets the chapter charter revoked and kicked off campus.

I get all that......I've spent nearly a lilfetime in locker rooms myself between all boys high school, Marine Corps, and my job....pranks are the best part of it for sure, along with the bonding between folks who have to fight together...on whatever level. 

BUT.... the NFL is not a "workplace" as defined by most of us.....what is tolerated by the members of a team is largely a product of their own making, wouldn't you agree?  The problem with this deal is that the craziest guy became a leader......with no rope around him and nobody to stand up and put an end to it.  That's not just a Richy problem.

I'll say it again......my issue is calling this a workplace deal when other behavior that would also be CLEARLY out of bounds in "the workplace" is fine.

2013-11-06 9:43 AM

User image

Champion

Hazing - Making someone stand up and eat in the player cafeteria, singing their alma mater fight song, carrying pads, buying meals, shaving one of their eye brows Harassment - Using racial slurs, threats of violence (when one has witnessed or already been victimized), death threats (context is taken by the receiver). So....you don't expect someone, no matter what industry they work in, to not be harassed? Having spent 7 years in NFL locker rooms, for 2 different NFL teams....I'm here to tell you that fights do happen, hazing does happen, but at the end of the day.....they're all brothers, they all have experienced it, and it bonds them. However, I can tell you that team leaders are usually the ones that are in on it and control what goes on. I've never seen a practical joke go beyond just what they are and I've never seen a fight where it wasn't broken up quickly. Again...either the Dolphins knew that this was going on and did nothing .....or Incognito is "that frat guy" that takes hazing to a whole new level and gets the chapter charter revoked and kicked off campus.

I get all that......I've spent nearly a lilfetime in locker rooms myself between all boys high school, Marine Corps, and my job....pranks are the best part of it for sure, along with the bonding between folks who have to fight together...on whatever level. 

BUT.... the NFL is not a "workplace" as defined by most of us.....what is tolerated by the members of a team is largely a product of their own making, wouldn't you agree?  The problem with this deal is that the craziest guy became a leader......with no rope around him and nobody to stand up and put an end to it.  That's not just a Richy problem.

I'll say it again......my issue is calling this a workplace deal when other behavior that would also be CLEARLY out of bounds in "the workplace" is fine.

The Dolphins are a registered business subject to the labor laws of the state of Florida and the United States of America. I'm pretty sure that threatenng a co-worker's life or overt racism are covered by these laws. If you have ever taken training in harassment, the concept if "logical extension of the workplace" covers phone calls and texts between co-workers.

Legality and civility needs to be in place in every workplace.

Would you be OK with the casting couch because that's how actresses get roles? Not at all.

2013-11-06 9:50 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by mr2tony

Originally posted by crowny2

What do you think the over/under is on Incognito either offing himself or getting himself into a situation where law enforcement have no option but to off him?

ETA: I'm serious.  I'm not making lite of his situation.  He is borderline psychotic.  And I wouldn't be surprised if either of these happened within the next 6-12 months.  I hope I'm proven wrong.

How do you know that?

Because he's crazy.
*insert Nebraska joke here*

Bripod mentioned this to me today.

"A meeting of all Nebraskans wishing to support Richie Incognito will be held this evening in the backseat of a Mini Cooper"

^^ ok that made me SOL (snort out loud), Seriously, what a jerk.  did you hear that promo he did for the Dolphins about fan behavior?

2013-11-06 9:55 AM

User image

Pro

The Dolphins are a registered business subject to the labor laws of the state of Florida and the United States of America. I'm pretty sure that threatenng a co-worker's life or overt racism are covered by these laws. If you have ever taken training in harassment, the concept if "logical extension of the workplace" covers phone calls and texts between co-workers. Legality and civility needs to be in place in every workplace. Would you be OK with the casting couch because that's how actresses get roles? Not at all.

Employers yelling at workers and fighting is also considered harrassment.......how should that be handled in the NFL "workplace"?

And if you've ever taken a course in law enforcement, threatening to kill someone by phone or otherwise harrassing them in their home is criminal.

This is a TEAM issue.....it's not news and it's not a "workplace" issue to me.  I promise the rank and file players don't want it to be.  Treating what happens between players and coaches the same as any other workplace is ridiculous.

2013-11-06 10:11 AM

User image

Oakville

The Dolphins are a registered business subject to the labor laws of the state of Florida and the United States of America. I'm pretty sure that threatenng a co-worker's life or overt racism are covered by these laws. If you have ever taken training in harassment, the concept if "logical extension of the workplace" covers phone calls and texts between co-workers. Legality and civility needs to be in place in every workplace. Would you be OK with the casting couch because that's how actresses get roles? Not at all.

Employers yelling at workers and fighting is also considered harrassment.......how should that be handled in the NFL "workplace"?

And if you've ever taken a course in law enforcement, threatening to kill someone by phone or otherwise harrassing them in their home is criminal.

This is a TEAM issue.....it's not news and it's not a "workplace" issue to me.  I promise the rank and file players don't want it to be.  Treating what happens between players and coaches the same as any other workplace is ridiculous.

I would not be shocked at a certain level of rookie hazing that goes beyond what would be acceptable in the "workplace".

But when Jon Gruden and other NFL players and coaches are saying that they have never seen anything like what Incognito is accused of having done, then I think this goes beyond typical rookie hazing and is important for the NFL to address.
2013-11-06 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
As much as it pains me to say, I agree with LB in that it can't be considered a normal `workplace' issue because the NFL isn't a normal workplace. The coaches must yell at their players and the captains on the team must tell the younger players to do a better job or get the fu** out, both of which would never be tolerated in a normal workplace. For crying out loud, these guys do a job where their entire reason for being there is to hit other people in a most vicious and violent manner.

Now, that said, there are lines at each `workplace' with regard to what constitutes harassment, and Incognito clearly went overboard.
2013-11-06 10:15 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony As much as it pains me to say, I agree with LB in that it can't be considered a normal `workplace' issue because the NFL isn't a normal workplace. The coaches must yell at their players and the captains on the team must tell the younger players to do a better job or get the fu** out, both of which would never be tolerated in a normal workplace. For crying out loud, these guys do a job where their entire reason for being there is to hit other people in a most vicious and violent manner. Now, that said, there are lines at each `workplace' with regard to what constitutes harassment, and Incognito clearly went overboard.

Pain is temporary.

2013-11-06 10:19 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

There is an employment law term that we use...a lot....it's called "reasonable person standard" (It may be used in law enforcement too....) but it basically is what it says. To a "reasonable person" the actions done in a locker room are different than what one may expect in a normal workplace/office setting. However....the same goes for the military, law enforcement.....certain things are "reasonable" vs. what can/can't go on in my office. The word "workplace" doesn't cover all "workplaces". You're looking at it from a macro-level. Since my office is called a "workplace" all rules here apply to all other "workplaces". Nope....that's not it at all. There are different standards and different rules/policies/procedures in every workplace. To define a locker room as a "typical workplace" is off base.....however....it's still a workplace.

Back to legal definitions...... The legal definition of Harassment is:

The act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. The purposes may vary, including racial prejudice, personal malice, an attempt to force someone to quit a job or merely gain sadistic pleasure from making someone fearful or anxious.

2013-11-06 10:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by mr2tony As much as it pains me to say, I agree with LB in that it can't be considered a normal `workplace' issue because the NFL isn't a normal workplace. The coaches must yell at their players and the captains on the team must tell the younger players to do a better job or get the fu** out, both of which would never be tolerated in a normal workplace. For crying out loud, these guys do a job where their entire reason for being there is to hit other people in a most vicious and violent manner. Now, that said, there are lines at each `workplace' with regard to what constitutes harassment, and Incognito clearly went overboard.

Maybe, but once they are outside the workplace, leaving voicemails and text messages, it becomes something totally different IMO. I could care less of they yell at each, make them buy dinners for the vets (those days are always planned they said on ESPN) or even make them do stupid things at camp, but once you start harassing me at home or outside the stadium/locker room, then it crosses the line from "motivating/toughening up/hazing or however you want to justify it to harrassment.

Edited by jford2309 2013-11-06 10:22 AM
2013-11-06 10:21 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Scott71

I would not be shocked at a certain level of rookie hazing that goes beyond what would be acceptable in the "workplace". But when Jon Gruden and other NFL players and coaches are saying that they have never seen anything like what Incognito is accused of having done, then I think this goes beyond typical rookie hazing and is important for the NFL to address.

Yeah, that's because Gruden et al want to have their cake and eat it too.  If you are going to hold it up to "workplace" standards then you don't get to change the  rules and say some out of bounds activity is OK but other activity is not.  Either we are all working under the same rules or we aren't.  As Tony said....there is NO WAY "normal" behavior in the NFL "workplace" is tolerated at any other "workplace". 

2013-11-06 10:23 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by mr2tony

As much as it pains me to say, I agree with LB in that it can't be considered a normal `workplace' issue because the NFL isn't a normal workplace. The coaches must yell at their players and the captains on the team must tell the younger players to do a better job or get the fu** out, both of which would never be tolerated in a normal workplace. For crying out loud, these guys do a job where their entire reason for being there is to hit other people in a most vicious and violent manner.

Now, that said, there are lines at each `workplace' with regard to what constitutes harassment, and Incognito clearly went overboard.

Must? Do you believe Tony Dungy, Larry Fitzgerald or Tim Briwn exhibit those "leadership" qualities? Threatening is a style of leadership; just a very poor style.

BtW: Someone is in damage control mode: http://e.nfl.com/PS!RvGSJEuHEGAFBgIAAAAGCgFICggxMDgyOTUxMwoKMTgyMTE...
2013-11-06 10:23 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jford2309

Maybe, but once they are outside the workplace, leaving voicemails and text messages, it becomes something totally different IMO. I could care less of they yell at each, make them buy dinners for the vets (those days are always planned they said on ESPN) or even make them do stupid things at camp, but once you start harassing me at home or outside the stadium/locker room, then it crosses the line from "motivating/toughening up/hazing or however you want to justify it to harrassment.

I agree with that 100%.......but I go toward criminal at that point.

2013-11-06 10:32 AM

User image

Pro

There is an employment law term that we use...a lot....it's called "reasonable person standard" (It may be used in law enforcement too....) but it basically is what it says. To a "reasonable person" the actions done in a locker room are different than what one may expect in a normal workplace/office setting. However....the same goes for the military, law enforcement.....certain things are "reasonable" vs. what can/can't go on in my office. The word "workplace" doesn't cover all "workplaces". You're looking at it from a macro-level. Since my office is called a "workplace" all rules here apply to all other "workplaces". Nope....that's not it at all. There are different standards and different rules/policies/procedures in every workplace. To define a locker room as a "typical workplace" is off base.....however....it's still a workplace. Back to legal definitions...... The legal definition of Harassment is: The act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. The purposes may vary, including racial prejudice, personal malice, an attempt to force someone to quit a job or merely gain sadistic pleasure from making someone fearful or anxious.

By a strictly lergal standpoint it happens all the time......lines are crossed and NOTHING is done about it, mostly because the players handle it amongst themselves.  It's not "reasonable" by any standard or it wouldn't be handled in any way.....but no employment action is taken, and rightfully so in my mind, because the dynamics of an NFL team make it inherently different from almost any other workplace.

2013-11-06 10:32 AM

User image

Oakville

Yeah, that's because Gruden et al want to have their cake and eat it too.  If you are going to hold it up to "workplace" standards then you don't get to change the  rules and say some out of bounds activity is OK but other activity is not.  Either we are all working under the same rules or we aren't.  As Tony said....there is NO WAY "normal" behavior in the NFL "workplace" is tolerated at any other "workplace". 

I don't disagree, but when you put Incognito's (alleged) actions in the context of the "normal" NFL workplace, it sounds like other players and coaches are coming out and saying this is beyond what is acceptable and should be dealt with.
2013-11-06 10:35 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro

I don't disagree, but when you put Incognito's (alleged) actions in the context of the "normal" NFL workplace, it sounds like other players and coaches are coming out and saying this is beyond what is acceptable and should be dealt with.

And making it a "workplace issue" is not the way to deal with it in my mind.  You want to deal with it?  Arrest Incognito for criminal harrassment, remove him from the team, and move on.  Way too many "workplace issues" in the NFL to leave it at that level.

2013-11-06 10:37 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

I would not be shocked at a certain level of rookie hazing that goes beyond what would be acceptable in the "workplace". But when Jon Gruden and other NFL players and coaches are saying that they have never seen anything like what Incognito is accused of having done, then I think this goes beyond typical rookie hazing and is important for the NFL to address.

But you can't use the word "workplace" as a litmus test for all workplaces. A "workplace" is a "place of work". There are different standards, different rules, different policies from where I work, to where you work, to where Tony works.....but at the end of the day, it's a "workplace". If you're in your place of work and experience "out of the norm" harassment/hazing, that becomes a workplace issue.

A (farfetched) example: You and another responding officer, get into a foot pursuit with a suspect. Fellow officer catches up and arrests suspect. After the suspect is loaded in, you give him the "butt slap" and say "great f'ing job for a slow white guy". Everyone laughs and does their paperwork.

Me and my IT guy work together on a project. He works for hours on a spreadsheet and when he's done, I give him the "butt slap" and say "not bad for a introverted code monkey"

Same thing, right? But in your "workplace" what you did would be acceptable. Mine....not so much. You can label every place of work as a workplace, but realize there different as well

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Incognito Rss Feed  

of 5