General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-11-10 8:19 PM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread
Thanks for all the info about the swim and the race in general. I am getting more excited just from reading your comments! I love hearing about others' experiences and hope you will all continue to post throughout the next training season! I love the tips about doing more sighting during
my swim. I do try to do open water swims about 2 times/month starting in June. I also typically do 4-6 races and still plan to at least do a couple of Olympics and a HIM this summer before really digging into my LONG IM workouts.

I contemplated hiring a coach but thinking I may do this first one on my own?? Thoughts here? I am looking at using the Be Iron Fit book but also used the Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide by Matt Fitzgerald for my HIM and felt like I nailed it! I only missed 1 workout the entire program and I was more than ready. Thoughts on either of these? Just not even sure what program would be best. I have three little kids and my husband coaches tournament softball too. Busy on the weekends!

I do not want to OVER TRAIN and I do have a bad habit of doing that. What have you used in the past? I am already running a half marathon every Saturday (with a group) and will add longer swims and trainer rides in on my bike soon. Will possibly run a spring marathon.
Biking is, BY FAR, my weakness so thinking a couple of Century rides in organized settings may be a GREAT idea for me to build
confidence.

Thanks for all the good info!

2013-11-11 8:34 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by midwesttrimom Thanks for all the info about the swim and the race in general. I am getting more excited just from reading your comments! I love hearing about others' experiences and hope you will all continue to post throughout the next training season! I love the tips about doing more sighting during my swim. I do try to do open water swims about 2 times/month starting in June. I also typically do 4-6 races and still plan to at least do a couple of Olympics and a HIM this summer before really digging into my LONG IM workouts. I contemplated hiring a coach but thinking I may do this first one on my own?? Thoughts here? I am looking at using the Be Iron Fit book but also used the Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide by Matt Fitzgerald for my HIM and felt like I nailed it! I only missed 1 workout the entire program and I was more than ready. Thoughts on either of these? Just not even sure what program would be best. I have three little kids and my husband coaches tournament softball too. Busy on the weekends! I do not want to OVER TRAIN and I do have a bad habit of doing that. What have you used in the past? I am already running a half marathon every Saturday (with a group) and will add longer swims and trainer rides in on my bike soon. Will possibly run a spring marathon. Biking is, BY FAR, my weakness so thinking a couple of Century rides in organized settings may be a GREAT idea for me to build confidence. Thanks for all the good info!

Sounds like you are pretty speedy already. I have a coach because ti takes the planning off my plate, makes it way less stressful and more fun.  Also I know left to my own devices I would probably either grossly over or under train.  There are lots of good plans out there tha many many people have used successfully you just need to pick what will make for the most fun ride for you and fits into your life the best. 

2013-11-11 8:51 AM
in reply to: hornswil

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Originally posted by hornswil

Hey julio26pt2... My wife and I were handing out bikes also. Were you there with your wife? By chance, are you the couple we were talking to on the deck?

Hehe! Awesome! Yes, that was us! Glad to see you here! Hook 'em Horns!
2013-11-11 8:54 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
MA

On big positive aspect of BT and doing IM is to get to know other BTers doing the race by watching their training in their training log and inspiring them.

You can even now add a sub group of friends and have them be IMFL friends.

Easy way to add folks is to click on their name on left side of a blog post and you will see add as friends come up as one of the options then click on add to friends list.

2013-11-11 11:36 AM

User image

Agree! The planning part can be lots of time. I do have the advantage of being at home with my little kids most of the time. I only work PT and I often find myself creating training programs for other runners and triathletes that are just getting into the sports. I really want a coach!!!! I even have a specific coach mind and I am sure he's waiting for my call. I better wait until the dust settles on my registration and hotel and see how things are moving along. Don't want to upset the apple cart (if you know what I mean).

Keep the info coming. I am going to TRY to log my training. I typically just type up my training logs and then cross off the workouts as I complete them. That allows me some movement throughout the week. I also do LOTS of back-to-back workouts. Wouldn't call them bricks since it's not intended that way but there are many days in the summer where I run HARD for 6-8 miles and then swim 1.5 miles immediately after. It's the only way I can get it all in due to children and their sports!! My kids are so busy.

Love talking to real people who are doing it every day already!

2013-11-11 3:44 PM

User image

Regular
I'm in, it will be my first IM. I volunteered this year as a finish line catcher from 2-6pm. It was a cool experience, can't wait for next year.

Brett

2013-11-11 8:11 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Boynton Beach, FL
I am in! 3rd time doing IMFL. I had an absolute blast this year. I love the whole race week...even the 8 hr drive from S Fla to PCB is fun. But the Race!!! Oh the race...is...awesome! Well...i mean, you work your tail off all day but it is so worth it to cross the finish line! I absolutely love the run course with all of the residents and such out and about. It really makes the marathon bearable and enjoyable. When I tell you I can't wait till next year, I mean I am already counting the days!
2013-11-12 5:10 PM
in reply to: gkuehnel

User image

Champion
MA

There are lots of good race reports for IMFL posted on BT. Great way for those of you doing IMFL next year to learn about the race from those who did it this year.

2013-11-12 9:30 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Originally posted by KathyG

There are lots of good race reports for IMFL posted on BT. Great way for those of you doing IMFL next year to learn about the race from those who did it this year.

Yes there are!   All of them are really positive about the race too  so like that.  

Here is an example of how useful the race reports are from KenJ's race report. 

"Over the past couple of weeks there had been conversations on several sights about whether it was quicker to stay on the beach longer and swim straight out or get back in the water quickly and swim diagonally to the first buoy. I opted for the stay on the beach method and I am fairly convinced now that it may have been a mistake."

I will be remembering this when I hit the beach after lap one of the swim. 

2013-11-13 3:36 PM

User image

Regular
I'd like to better know why he felt that was a mistake, as I have heard others say that is the better option, especially with a strong right-to-left current (which I am told is the norm).

I was standing near the swim exit chute for most of the swim, without my prescription glasses, so I didn't have the best view. But it looked like on the 2nd lap a lot of swimmers were cutting that first red buoy. This is based on the angle I saw many of them taking, which appeared to be aimed far too much to the left to get around the right side of that buoy. Was this a common mistake/occurrence?
2013-11-14 7:14 AM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Champion
MA

Most folks say running up the beach as far as possible is best between loop 1 and 2. I'[m curious why athlete thought otherwise.

I know for me I'm faster running than swimming plus normally that diagonal swim usually is into the current.

2013-11-14 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I agree. I was out of sorts after a brutal first 1.2 miles and jumped right back in the water. Regretted it immediately. Next year I'll run down the beach and take the straight shot down the buoy line.....unless I'm all discombobulated again.
2013-11-15 1:29 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by midwesttrimom . I am going to TRY to log my training. I typically just type up my training logs and then cross off the workouts as I complete them. That allows me some movement throughout the week. I also do LOTS of back-to-back workouts. Wouldn't call them bricks since it's not intended that way but there are many days in the summer where I run HARD for 6-8 miles and then swim 1.5 miles immediately after. It's the only way I can get it all in due to children and their sports!! My kids are so busy. Love talking to real people who are doing it every day already!

Are you going to log your training?  I just looked - not yet. 

One advantage of logging your training is that people can look to see what you're up to.  They can post inspirational things for you, and if you've got a question about your training, it's easy for a coach or other athletes to go and look at what you've been doing so they can give some meaningful advice.  BT also keeps track of weekly, monthly and yearly totals, which are kind of neat to know, and that way you don't have to go back to your plan and add it up manually.  This really helps as your training ramps up to IM volumes.  It's really a great tool.

Looking forward to getting to know you, and all the new IMFL athletes.  --- but the reality is that a few of us will continue to post through the training cycle, and a few of us will post our workouts, and a few of us will become friends through the year.  So I'm extending a personal invitation to you, join us!  We'd love to have you.

2013-11-17 9:10 AM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Champion
MA

How many of us feel fortunate that we did get into IMFL. The buzz and all the talk on the IMAZ board with WTC says all the volunteer will likely not be able to register and if you want to get in on line you need to sign up for community fund slot at the time race opens on site....crazy.

How is everyone doing?

2013-11-17 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
It actually doesn't feel real that I got in online!!

I'm so looking forward to this ride with everyone here....had a nice gusty ride this morning! Looking forward to my swim w/o this week...still no running as my foot is on the mend ;-)

Trying to decide if to use a coach or BT program....hmmmmmm

Alicia
2013-11-19 8:50 AM

User image

I got in online within minutes! First IM for me too...

2013-11-19 1:54 PM
in reply to: joshlouviere

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I took the last 2 weeks off after IMFL and I am anxious to get training again!!!  Can't wait for next year   Yeah I am jus t that kind of crazy!!

2013-11-19 3:36 PM

Regular
Houston, Texas

Most folks say running up the beach as far as possible is best between loop 1 and 2. I'[m curious why athlete thought otherwise.

I know for me I'm faster running than swimming plus normally that diagonal swim usually is into the current.

I did my first IMFL this year and am signed up for next year as well and it probably depends on how you feel about the swim in general. I'm a reasonably strong swimmer so I turned the corner and swam right for the red buoy. I felt like it added distance to run down the beach plus it seemed a lot more crowded over there. Also my heart rate tends to spike when I go from one activity to another so I wanted to get in the water and get back into a rhythm as quickly as possible. At least that was the logic I used, however logic has utterly escaped me during past Ironman races.
2013-11-20 12:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by awal1

I did my first IMFL this year and am signed up for next year as well and it probably depends on how you feel about the swim in general. I'm a reasonably strong swimmer so I turned the corner and swam right for the red buoy. I felt like it added distance to run down the beach plus it seemed a lot more crowded over there. Also my heart rate tends to spike when I go from one activity to another so I wanted to get in the water and get back into a rhythm as quickly as possible. At least that was the logic I used, however logic has utterly escaped me during past Ironman races.

I've got to laugh, I'm thinking maybe there is no logical explanation for actually doing an Ironman.

Edited by jashac 2013-11-20 12:57 PM
2013-11-20 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Afternoon all,

I'm a little late to the "I'm in" party, missed out getting a general entry slot online, waited to try online for IMAZ (again no luck - 2 years in a row) so after a little coercing, I sucked it up and took an IMFL 14 foundation slot last night (really surprised that there were still some available).

IMFL is at the perfect time of year for me, slow season in the islands is from Aug to Oct, I close my business, so it is perfect training time.

This will be my third time at PCB, 2010 & 2011, stoked to be going, looking forward to the year ahead, making new friends here and meeting you all next November.

I am already signed up for San Juan 70.3 in March and will probably do St. Croix 70.3 in May, plus a few other single disciple events along the way.

Many thanks to Kathy, Sue & Jasha for giving me the push I need to sign up.

Will see you all for the 1st practice swim, 6:30 am behind Boardwalk Hotel 10/29/14 )

Glen
2013-11-20 2:41 PM

User image

New user

I'm in! My name Is Neil, and this will be my 2nd IM (CdA in 2012 was my first). I'm stoked because that weekend also happens to be my 50th bday, so I thought what better way to celebrate?! And, compared to CdA it's FLAT and the water is warm! My wife is going to volunteer so she can do it in 2015, and since we're coming all the way from the PNW, we're going to Disneyworld after. I hope I can hobble around there for a couple days!! I can't wait!!

2013-11-20 2:45 PM
in reply to: millarg

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by millarg

Afternoon all,

I'm a little late to the "I'm in" party, missed out getting a general entry slot online, waited to try online for IMAZ (again no luck - 2 years in a row) so after a little coercing, I sucked it up and took an IMFL 14 foundation slot last night (really surprised that there were still some available).

IMFL is at the perfect time of year for me, slow season in the islands is from Aug to Oct, I close my business, so it is perfect training time.

This will be my third time at PCB, 2010 & 2011, stoked to be going, looking forward to the year ahead, making new friends here and meeting you all next November.

I am already signed up for San Juan 70.3 in March and will probably do St. Croix 70.3 in May, plus a few other single disciple events along the way.

Many thanks to Kathy, Sue & Jasha for giving me the push I need to sign up.

Will see you all for the 1st practice swim, 6:30 am behind Boardwalk Hotel 10/29/14 )

Glen

Woooot woooot for signing up!

This is going to be a fun ride!

Thought about doing San Juan before so I am looking forward to hearing about it from you!

Happy training,

Alicia
2013-11-20 7:34 PM
in reply to: millarg

User image

Champion
MA

Glen,

Glad you finally took the plunge and joined the party for 2014. I'm surprised that foundation slots were still available.

Let's met on the boardwalk around 7 not 6:30 okay?

Where are you guys in training? Rest/recovery? Training for a running race or what?

2013-11-21 5:11 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Glen,

Glad you finally took the plunge and joined the party for 2014. I'm surprised that foundation slots were still available.

Let's met on the boardwalk around 7 not 6:30 okay?

Where are you guys in training? Rest/recovery? Training for a running race or what?

Welcome back glen!!!

2013-11-21 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Okay, so I've been having a performance-restricting problem for years and years and am finally on the path to resolution (something I needed to do before taking on IMFL).

I've always had a pretty deviated septum and have never been able to breathe in through my nose. This means that no matter what I'm doing, I'm breathing through my mouth (and through some really big tonsils). I know I also have been dealing with sleep apnea, though I didn't realize how bad it was.. Despite tons of effort, I couldn't realize the improvements in performance I was hoping for and have learned that much of it was due to deficient oxygen levels when I was active and sleeping. I also stop breathing a lot while I'm sleeping which isn't good.

So guess what.. On Friday, I got a new snout!! Got a nasal airway reconstruction, removed adenoids, and did a nasal valve repair. Unfortunately, they couldn't fix "ugly" so I still look the same.. I'm still in recovery mode but I can already feel a big difference. Soon, we're going to move to step 2 and get those gigantor tonsils out and I'll finally have clear breathing! Very excited!!

So for the time being, I'm not allowed to do any physical activity, but just need to be smart in my eating so I don't blimp up.. I feel like this is the best upgrade I could possibly make (an engine upgrade) and an excited to see the results of finally being able to breathe!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 79556 Posts: 1004

2013-11-07 12:37 PM speedzilla

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 133517 Posts: 1587

2012-12-22 8:28 PM LarchmontTri

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Started by boxer
Views: 180658 Posts: 2171

2011-12-09 9:23 PM kandk

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 241884 Posts: 2583

2011-06-13 9:39 PM aintaround

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 136833 Posts: 2045

2010-01-13 8:31 AM ShawnFromNorfolk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!