General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-11-21 6:21 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread
Originally posted by julio26pt2

Okay, so I've been having a performance-restricting problem for years and years and am finally on the path to resolution (something I needed to do before taking on IMFL).

I've always had a pretty deviated septum and have never been able to breathe in through my nose. This means that no matter what I'm doing, I'm breathing through my mouth (and through some really big tonsils). I know I also have been dealing with sleep apnea, though I didn't realize how bad it was.. Despite tons of effort, I couldn't realize the improvements in performance I was hoping for and have learned that much of it was due to deficient oxygen levels when I was active and sleeping. I also stop breathing a lot while I'm sleeping which isn't good.

So guess what.. On Friday, I got a new snout!! Got a nasal airway reconstruction, removed adenoids, and did a nasal valve repair. Unfortunately, they couldn't fix "ugly" so I still look the same.. I'm still in recovery mode but I can already feel a big difference. Soon, we're going to move to step 2 and get those gigantor tonsils out and I'll finally have clear breathing! Very excited!!

So for the time being, I'm not allowed to do any physical activity, but just need to be smart in my eating so I don't blimp up.. I feel like this is the best upgrade I could possibly make (an engine upgrade) and an excited to see the results of finally being able to breathe!

I had this same surgery about 4 1/2 years ago after having 17 sinus infections in one year- I was on antibiotics all 12 months of an entire year, steroids off and on, did the Neti pot deal, etc. I think swimming contributed to my issues but my ENT said there was no reason why we couldn't fix
things so this didn't happen. I hate the stuff they put in your nose during recovery but aside from that it wasn't too bad. I hope you recover well. I recovered quickly and it's so early you will have plenty of time to train! Heal up!!!

2013-11-21 6:27 PM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Originally posted by jashac

Originally posted by midwesttrimom . I am going to TRY to log my training. I typically just type up my training logs and then cross off the workouts as I complete them. That allows me some movement throughout the week. I also do LOTS of back-to-back workouts. Wouldn't call them bricks since it's not intended that way but there are many days in the summer where I run HARD for 6-8 miles and then swim 1.5 miles immediately after. It's the only way I can get it all in due to children and their sports!! My kids are so busy. Love talking to real people who are doing it every day already!

Are you going to log your training?  I just looked - not yet. 

One advantage of logging your training is that people can look to see what you're up to.  They can post inspirational things for you, and if you've got a question about your training, it's easy for a coach or other athletes to go and look at what you've been doing so they can give some meaningful advice.  BT also keeps track of weekly, monthly and yearly totals, which are kind of neat to know, and that way you don't have to go back to your plan and add it up manually.  This really helps as your training ramps up to IM volumes.  It's really a great tool.

Looking forward to getting to know you, and all the new IMFL athletes.  --- but the reality is that a few of us will continue to post through the training cycle, and a few of us will post our workouts, and a few of us will become friends through the year.  So I'm extending a personal invitation to you, join us!  We'd love to have you.

I WILL POST! You've convinced me. I just haven't started training yet. I did the Hy-Vee 5150 Nationals in September and since then I have been focusing solely on longer runs, spin classes, trainer rides, and some heavier lifting. I always do this in the off season. I will start swimming in the next couple
of weeks but always take a break after my last regular-season race. I do track speed work, one tempo run, and one long run per week right now. I typically try to keep these workouts in my training regardless of distance so that's why I will most likely choose a more advanced plan. The group I run with are athletes. I sort of trail behind and am middle of the pack. Fast women!!! CRAZY FAST! But running is no doubt my passion!

I will start TRYING to log my weekly workouts next week but will not truly be "training" until February or March.

Thanks for the tips. I feel like I NEED to keep in touch and get to know this group. It's just my nature. I am looking
forward to it and appreciate your willingness to give feedback!

2013-11-21 6:29 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Originally posted by trirun26

It actually doesn't feel real that I got in online!!

I'm so looking forward to this ride with everyone here....had a nice gusty ride this morning! Looking forward to my swim w/o this week...still no running as my foot is on the mend ;-)

Trying to decide if to use a coach or BT program....hmmmmmm

Alicia

I agree about the coach thing. I really want to use a coach but my workouts HAVE to be flexible with three
kids in activities and I not your "run of the mill" triathlete because I am a stay at home mom, too! I workout
a TON during the days, early AMs and often mid-mornings. Sometimes, I may do a 3 hour bike ride on a Wednesday.
I am crazy like that and coaches don't really like it.
2013-11-22 4:03 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by midwesttrimom
Originally posted by trirun26 It actually doesn't feel real that I got in online!! I'm so looking forward to this ride with everyone here....had a nice gusty ride this morning! Looking forward to my swim w/o this week...still no running as my foot is on the mend ;-) Trying to decide if to use a coach or BT program....hmmmmmm Alicia
I agree about the coach thing. I really want to use a coach but my workouts HAVE to be flexible with three kids in activities and I not your "run of the mill" triathlete because I am a stay at home mom, too! I workout a TON during the days, early AMs and often mid-mornings. Sometimes, I may do a 3 hour bike ride on a Wednesday. I am crazy like that and coaches don't really like it.

I'm a stay at home mom and have used a coach for 7 years (actually 3 different ones over that period).

The normal model of long stuff on weekend is what coaches tend to do but all coaches ask when you are available to do what workouts.

I did more training during weekdays and less on weekend. I have even has my rest days be weekend days so I have family time.

Also my coaches were always good at moving things around if need be. These are all things what you hire a coach to help you with. If they don't help with fitting training in your life, I'd look for another coach.

2013-11-23 11:18 AM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
I Feel a bit late to the party ... I went to the online registration as an annual attempt at completing my "bucket list" of doing an IM. Darned if I didn't get through. I hesitated joining the board until I checked my credit card statement to be sure it was official. It just seemed to easy after many years of half hearted attempts at IMFL and IMAZ. But here I am, kind of pinching myself!!!

I have not done any tri's for almost 10 years, so this is really a plunge. At that time I lived on Long Island in a real healthy tri community and choices of ocean or LI Sound races every weekend during the summers. I probably did a dozen or so Oly and Sprint tri's each year for 3 seasons. But career relocations and life got in the way and could not excited to do lake or pool tris in more land-locked locations that I moved to. Have stayed active biking, running, swimming, love the sport and have friends who have done multiple IM's.

Now at 56, I live in SC (Greenville area), own my own business which provides a very flexible schedule for training. I am probably 15 lbs over my hopeful race weight, my running is finally up to 4 miles after almost 9 months of nasty planters fasciitis bout. I haven't biked more than 40 miles I think since high school but do fairly regular 20 - 30 mile rides now. Do fairly well in the pool but need to get back into it - Earlier this year was disappointed in seeing my 100 yd times over 2:20 when I was 1:15 - 1:20 in my prime.

So I look for advice on getting on track to do this from a more senior-aged perspective, connecting with a local community in SC, races and tips leading up to next November!
Thanks
2013-11-23 1:00 PM
in reply to: DavidKSC

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by DavidKSC I Feel a bit late to the party ... I went to the online registration as an annual attempt at completing my "bucket list" of doing an IM. Darned if I didn't get through. I hesitated joining the board until I checked my credit card statement to be sure it was official. It just seemed to easy after many years of half hearted attempts at IMFL and IMAZ. But here I am, kind of pinching myself!!! I have not done any tri's for almost 10 years, so this is really a plunge. At that time I lived on Long Island in a real healthy tri community and choices of ocean or LI Sound races every weekend during the summers. I probably did a dozen or so Oly and Sprint tri's each year for 3 seasons. But career relocations and life got in the way and could not excited to do lake or pool tris in more land-locked locations that I moved to. Have stayed active biking, running, swimming, love the sport and have friends who have done multiple IM's. Now at 56, I live in SC (Greenville area), own my own business which provides a very flexible schedule for training. I am probably 15 lbs over my hopeful race weight, my running is finally up to 4 miles after almost 9 months of nasty planters fasciitis bout. I haven't biked more than 40 miles I think since high school but do fairly regular 20 - 30 mile rides now. Do fairly well in the pool but need to get back into it - Earlier this year was disappointed in seeing my 100 yd times over 2:20 when I was 1:15 - 1:20 in my prime. So I look for advice on getting on track to do this from a more senior-aged perspective, connecting with a local community in SC, races and tips leading up to next November! Thanks

Welcome to BT and back to triathlon!!!! You have a great background and will do wonderful I am sure   Its a long road and plenty of time right now.  The big thing I think is just to get back at it and be slow and consistent in your build.  You don't have to be able to bike 100 miles RIGHT NOW.  ramp it up and build your base.  If you don't want/can't afford a coach to help you there are a lot of online programs you can choose from.  Make it fit into your life and enjoy the ride

2013-11-23 3:37 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
I'm in for Ironman #5. My wife will be joining me in her first . I raced Florida as my first in 2011. Also will be doing challenge Roth in July 2014.
2013-11-24 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
MA

David,

Congrats on getting in on line which is quite feat.

You are in good position to build your training toward IM.

Listen to your body as to training. Recovery time may be longer compared to being younger.

Work on training consistently in all s/b/r. Maybe pick a race or two in the spring and early summer to build towards.

Welcome to the BT group!

2013-11-25 2:58 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Originally posted by KathyG

Originally posted by trirun26 It actually doesn't feel real that I got in online!! I'm so looking forward to this ride with everyone here....had a nice gusty ride this morning! Looking forward to my swim w/o this week...still no running as my foot is on the mend ;-) Trying to decide if to use a coach or BT program....hmmmmmm Alicia
I agree about the coach thing. I really want to use a coach but my workouts HAVE to be flexible with three kids in activities and I not your "run of the mill" triathlete because I am a stay at home mom, too! I workout a TON during the days, early AMs and often mid-mornings. Sometimes, I may do a 3 hour bike ride on a Wednesday. I am crazy like that and coaches don't really like it.

I'm a stay at home mom and have used a coach for 7 years (actually 3 different ones over that period).

The normal model of long stuff on weekend is what coaches tend to do but all coaches ask when you are available to do what workouts.

I did more training during weekdays and less on weekend. I have even has my rest days be weekend days so I have family time.

Also my coaches were always good at moving things around if need be. These are all things what you hire a coach to help you with. If they don't help with fitting training in your life, I'd look for another coach.

Love this advice. Thank you!!! Will be curious to see if our training "plans" mesh a bit.
2013-11-25 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Originally posted by KathyG

Love this advice. Thank you!!! Will be curious to see if our training "plans" mesh a bit.

Hi,

I agree with Kathy reg coaches being flexible. I have had a coach for my 2 IM just because I did not want it think about how to plan my work outs. I work odd hours sometimes being a nurse so many times I would do my long workouts in the middle if the week at crazy hours. My coach would have my work schedule one week ahead of time so that he could plan out the days. He really worked around it and it was great.

If the coach is rigid it is a no for me!

Happy training,

Alicia
2013-11-26 12:24 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Champion
MA

Who is doing their local Turkey Trot this week?

Good luck to you all!

2013-11-27 3:18 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Happy thanksgiving everyone!!!  No turkey trot for me...at least not an organized one as travel won't really allow it but I will run tomorrow   May everyone have a blessed holiday with friends and family

2013-11-27 10:49 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Not me unless my sister in law does not cook the turkey very well.  Har har!

2013-11-30 11:36 AM

User image

Where to stay and best time schedule to arrive pre-race:

1) A friend recommended the Laketown Wharf condos across from the transition area. She is young, single and a pro and did say that it is a big building and not enough elevators, but sounds convenient to the race venue. I am older, married age group IM newbie and will have a small cheering squad of whomever can make it and will be driving to the event so transport is not an issue. I like the idea of rental home/condos that are beachside and plan to make this a cathartic vacation-event of sorts after the IM. Any suggestions, besides just letting my online fingers do the walking? Never been to Panama Beach so not sure what the logistics and best parts of the area would be. I guess we could also stay at one location for the race and another for the after-party, but that seems like a hassle considering I want my focus to be only on the race ...

2) What day before the race do most/would be best to arrive? Initially thought Tuesday evening would get me there ahead of the crowds for course familiarity/training on Wednesday assuming most arrive Thursday, but does that lead to pre-race jitters/anxiousness?

Again this is a first time IM for me -- have never even spectated one yet. Suggestions?
2013-11-30 3:10 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Laketown Warf is not across from transition exactly but maybe 1/4 mile down the road. You can look at googlemaps and see the layout of the area. There are many places to stay that are within 1/2 mile of transition.... Shores of Panama, Laketwon Warf, Sunbird, Boardwalk Beach Condos and hotel (skip hotel it is dumpy) all going one way, the other way many other places to stay.

I think arriving Tuesday is the ideal day as you can settle in early, register and keep off your feet as much as you can last days before the race.

2013-11-30 7:49 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by DavidKSC Where to stay and best time schedule to arrive pre-race: 1) A friend recommended the Laketown Wharf condos across from the transition area. She is young, single and a pro and did say that it is a big building and not enough elevators, but sounds convenient to the race venue. I am older, married age group IM newbie and will have a small cheering squad of whomever can make it and will be driving to the event so transport is not an issue. I like the idea of rental home/condos that are beachside and plan to make this a cathartic vacation-event of sorts after the IM. Any suggestions, besides just letting my online fingers do the walking? Never been to Panama Beach so not sure what the logistics and best parts of the area would be. I guess we could also stay at one location for the race and another for the after-party, but that seems like a hassle considering I want my focus to be only on the race ... 2) What day before the race do most/would be best to arrive? Initially thought Tuesday evening would get me there ahead of the crowds for course familiarity/training on Wednesday assuming most arrive Thursday, but does that lead to pre-race jitters/anxiousness? Again this is a first time IM for me -- have never even spectated one yet. Suggestions?

Good advice from Kathy.  Definitely get here by weds so you can check in on weds and avoid standing in lines etc.  Makes it WAY less chaotic.  Lots of available condos walkable to transition.  I know lots of people wait til the last minute but I am a planner and like to have everything set up well in advance so My advice would be to look on VRBO and reserve earlier rather than later

2013-11-30 11:02 PM

User image

Daphne, AL
Hey everyone! I'm in as well. This will be my first IM. 2014 will be my 3rd year doing tris. I'm in the Mobile area so I'm fairly close to PC. I did 70.3 NOLA last year and excited to step it up this year. I'm excited for the adventure to come!
2013-12-02 10:55 AM

User image

Thanks Kathy and Susan - Didn't even think about check in lines ... And keep off my feet time. Tuesday. Done.
The planning of where will take a little more time. I normally am one of those last minute types - but I will get those travel/reservation logistics out of the way so I can just focus on training which will be the big effort for a procrastinator like me ... Thx David
2013-12-02 1:58 PM

User image

Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by DavidKSC Where to stay and best time schedule to arrive pre-race: 1) A friend recommended the Laketown Wharf condos across from the transition area. She is young, single and a pro and did say that it is a big building and not enough elevators, but sounds convenient to the race venue. I am older, married age group IM newbie and will have a small cheering squad of whomever can make it and will be driving to the event so transport is not an issue. I like the idea of rental home/condos that are beachside and plan to make this a cathartic vacation-event of sorts after the IM. Any suggestions, besides just letting my online fingers do the walking? Never been to Panama Beach so not sure what the logistics and best parts of the area would be. I guess we could also stay at one location for the race and another for the after-party, but that seems like a hassle considering I want my focus to be only on the race ... 2) What day before the race do most/would be best to arrive? Initially thought Tuesday evening would get me there ahead of the crowds for course familiarity/training on Wednesday assuming most arrive Thursday, but does that lead to pre-race jitters/anxiousness? Again this is a first time IM for me -- have never even spectated one yet. Suggestions?

Good advice from Kathy.  Definitely get here by weds so you can check in on weds and avoid standing in lines etc.  Makes it WAY less chaotic.  Lots of available condos walkable to transition.  I know lots of people wait til the last minute but I am a planner and like to have everything set up well in advance so My advice would be to look on VRBO and reserve earlier rather than later

Well, shoot! I am not getting in until Thursday, as it's Halloween week and I have three small kiddos. I think my neighborhood is actually going to accommodate and plan for our Trick or Treating to be before I leave for FL. Nice! But, I will be facing the lines and all the chaos, unfortunately. Getting in on Thursday! Thanks for all the tips.
2013-12-02 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Well, shoot! I am not getting in until Thursday, as it's Halloween week and I have three small kiddos. I think my neighborhood is actually going to accommodate and plan for our Trick or Treating to be before I leave for FL. Nice! But, I will be facing the lines and all the chaos, unfortunately. Getting in on Thursday! Thanks for all the tips.

Halloween is the day before the race. They are going to miss it at home if they are with you at the race unless you live someplace they do not trick or treat on Halloween and do it some other random day, and I have lived in a lot of places that do that.  This year they had trick or treating in the expo and at a nearby mall.  There are plenty of neighborhoods around go trick or treating on the run course.  There are a lot of options.  If they play their cards right they could go 3 times

Personally I don't get Halloween..................I am the bah hum bug of Halloween.  So you are going to train a year for a race and compromise it for trick or treating?  I understand people have kids etc etc etc but I don't get the stress over this when there are lots of options and we JUST got done with trick or treat panic a month ago....................

2013-12-03 10:05 AM

Regular
Houston, Texas

I have children so I understand the Halloween angst. Most of us probably couldn't do without the support of our families so we need to accommodate them best we can. Plus its fun. There is trick-or-treating at a place called Pier Park in PCB that I've heard good things about. Its really just a mall but is has rides for the kids like a merry-go-round and such.

http://www.simon.com/mall/pier-park%E2%80%8E

2013-12-03 1:20 PM
in reply to: awal1

User image

Regular
I've got a boy who will be 8, and my brother plans on coming with his 3 kids, so we'll also be looking for some Halloween activities. I'm told that they should be fairly easy to find, as others have pointed out. My son looooves his Halloween. I just wish it wasn't the night before, but oh well.
2013-12-03 2:26 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Champion
MA

This year the expo had trick and treating as well as a kids running race put on by Children Tumor Foundation. Lots of the folks in the expo put on costumes which was pretty interesting.

2013-12-03 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Sue and I joined a guppie swim challenge over on ST. 3 months with goal for BOP swimmers 1:40+ IM swims to drop up to 20 minutes. I figure it is a good way to motivate me to get the pool. Dan Empfield is running it and is a very talented swimmer and is writing workouts and putting a program together.

2013-12-04 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Stopping by to wish all future Florida Ironmans a healthy and wonderful holidays!

So what is everyone doing this month for training? any jingle bell runs?

I am still not able to run as my foot is healing and I do not want to go backwards.....but I am swimming and biking as well as doing some upper body strength classes.

Wishing everyone an awesome day!

Alicia
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 79597 Posts: 1004

2013-11-07 12:37 PM speedzilla

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 133558 Posts: 1587

2012-12-22 8:28 PM LarchmontTri

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Started by boxer
Views: 180696 Posts: 2171

2011-12-09 9:23 PM kandk

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 241924 Posts: 2583

2011-06-13 9:39 PM aintaround

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 136864 Posts: 2045

2010-01-13 8:31 AM ShawnFromNorfolk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!