General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-11-08 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread

This is the official thread start for the 2014 edition of IRONMAN FLORIDA!!!!

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-11-08 9:09 AM

2013-11-08 9:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread

Alright alright who is here?   

Hi I'm Dave! 
This will be my second IM,  having completed Ironman Wisconsin in 2011.   

Four of us decided to try and sign up for this event.   All were quite nervous about if only one or 2 or whatever would get in.   But BUT  We all did!!!!    WOOT! 

So now we are renting a beautiful condo in Panama City for our trip.     PARTY!!!

Excited to be doing this with fellow BT peeps   Trirun26 and QuincyF and her hubby!    

Also will be fun to meet esteemed member of the now infamous BT mentor group The Magical Mys-Tri Tour  -  PinkSocks  - You are volunteering again this year?

OK Sooooo  what's your story?

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-11-08 9:29 AM
2013-11-08 10:04 AM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
2013-11-08 10:42 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I'm in for IMFL #3 and IM #5 after 2 years off due to medical issues. I'm excited and a bit nervous to see how things go getting back at things.

Quite a few BTers who did it this year signed up for next year.

2013-11-08 11:09 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
WOO HOO!! I'm in!!!

This is my second attempt at an IM (DNF'd in WI when I tried to come back too soon after spine-surgery).

Had a blast in Florida last weekend handing out bikes, directing runners, taking a rest on the beach, then working as a catcher, as well as finish line security, then catching the last hour from the stands! (still tired from last Saturday!) Hopefully I built up some good IM Karma.
2013-11-08 11:45 AM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

Long Island, NY
My wife and I are both in. This will be our first!!!

2013-11-08 12:13 PM
in reply to: Jayabusa

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I am in this will be my 9th time toeing the line at an ironman, 8 time for IMFL and hopefully my 7th finish!!  Had such an amazing time last week, getting back to reality is a bummer.  I have the bestest ironfriends in the whole wide world!!! 

2013-11-08 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Wooohoooooo!

I'm one of the Lucky one's in Dave's group who got in :-).... It's going to be so much fun:-)

This will be my third IM... I have done Cozumel and Louisville. Then took off 1 year from intense training due to chemo and "microwaving" ( radiation)...now I'm back with a vengeance :-) will be interesting to see.

Super excited to travel this journey with all of u!

Alicia
2013-11-08 9:01 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Originally posted by trirun26 Wooohoooooo! I'm one of the Lucky one's in Dave's group who got in :-).... It's going to be so much fun:-) This will be my third IM... I have done Cozumel and Louisville. Then took off 1 year from intense training due to chemo and "microwaving" ( radiation)...now I'm back with a vengeance :-) will be interesting to see. Super excited to travel this journey with all of u! Alicia

Alicia is what Ironman is all about.   This is one tough lady.       We are so lucky you are on the journey with us!!     Also have to say I have been BT buddies with Alicia since the little Runners World Tri group moved here like 4 years ago.     we have been supporting each other through life's ups/downs and all of these crazy events all these years/    Thanks for being a great friend. and indeed its going to be quite the adventure. 
Its great to meet y'all who has joined this race group so far!

Happy to see there are IM-FL  vets here that give us all the details needed.        

I love seafood  and I hear Panama City has some good restaurants.     Which is THE can't miss restaurant??  

2013-11-08 9:52 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I had a Shrimp weekend down at PCB this past weekend having shrimp every day. Lots of good shrimp cooked many different ways. Lots of seafood places many have an New Orleans type menu.

Depends what type of Seafood you like where you should go. Yelp has some good reviews.

BTers typically have multiple meet up options for meals and swims morning up to the race.

2013-11-08 9:52 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Will you be using a plan, coach or some other method for training?

2013-11-09 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is a great picture!

Edited by ATLrunr 2013-11-09 9:31 AM
2013-11-09 9:41 AM
in reply to: ATLrunr

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
In for my 6th IMFL and my 17th IM…. Lets do this.
2013-11-09 11:22 AM
in reply to: aintaround

User image

Veteran
I was one of the lucky ones who was able to register online. 3rd IM; first time for FL.
2013-11-09 4:23 PM

User image

Well, didn't think it would happen online, but it did. Now I am not 100% sure how I feel about IMFL!! This is my FIRST IM and, obviously, my first IMFL. I am nervous, excited, scared, etc. I have done SEVERAL Olympic and sprint distances over the past 8 years, have ran a few marathons, and did my first HIM this past summer. I loved the HIM so figured it was a good time to move forward on a goal I've had for over 5 years. I know I am capable of finishing this distance but I am SO NERVOUS about the swim. There are no "waves" in Iowa, people. I am so scared they are literally going to PULL ME out of the water. I am not a weak swimmer- mile in around 28 minutes- but this distance under the conditions I've seen in pictures makes
me downright shake in my boots (only I'm not wearing boots).

Would LOVE your insight, your tips, and any info you can give me to help ease my worry! I KNOW I will put in all of my training but how can you truly prepare for something like this??
I did do Racine 70.3 in July and the water was extremely rough (Lake Michigan). It was the roughest it's been for that event according to
all volunteers and past racers I had spoken with. It was tough. My swim was 42 minutes and I don't really recall using any "technique" but
rather sort of hanging on for dear life.

So excited to conquer this goal, but want to be smart, knowledgeable, and prepared!

Looking forward to chatting with all of you and hopefully seeing you on race week!

Midwest Tri Mom (3 beautiful daughters ages 10, 7, and 3)
Three time 5150 Nationals Qualifier
2013-11-09 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Originally posted by midwesttrimom Well, didn't think it would happen online, but it did. Now I am not 100% sure how I feel about IMFL!! This is my FIRST IM and, obviously, my first IMFL. I am nervous, excited, scared, etc. I have done SEVERAL Olympic and sprint distances over the past 8 years, have ran a few marathons, and did my first HIM this past summer. I loved the HIM so figured it was a good time to move forward on a goal I've had for over 5 years. I know I am capable of finishing this distance but I am SO NERVOUS about the swim. There are no "waves" in Iowa, people. I am so scared they are literally going to PULL ME out of the water. I am not a weak swimmer- mile in around 28 minutes- but this distance under the conditions I've seen in pictures makes me downright shake in my boots (only I'm not wearing boots). Would LOVE your insight, your tips, and any info you can give me to help ease my worry! I KNOW I will put in all of my training but how can you truly prepare for something like this?? I did do Racine 70.3 in July and the water was extremely rough (Lake Michigan). It was the roughest it's been for that event according to all volunteers and past racers I had spoken with. It was tough. My swim was 42 minutes and I don't really recall using any "technique" but rather sort of hanging on for dear life. So excited to conquer this goal, but want to be smart, knowledgeable, and prepared! Looking forward to chatting with all of you and hopefully seeing you on race week! Midwest Tri Mom (3 beautiful daughters ages 10, 7, and 3) Three time 5150 Nationals Qualifier

Perfect!   Yes you are ready for IM    

You are a strong swimmer.   Confidence going in to the swim will be important.   The mass start and shear amount of other Iron peeps I will think to be of bigger concern than the waves.    It's quite different than the age group starts.   If you are good with contact in the water, I should think you will do just fine with the waves.   But am interested to see how the  FLA vets respond.

OH ya big BIG tip.  It's the ocean.  You can't drink it.     Racine sure. 

I've also raced Racine.   FL  will be my first Tri experience in the ocean but have swam many a time in Lake Michigan during times in which the sea was "angry"   Last years Racine was very choppy.  I have to think it to be about as good of an event as we midwesterners  are gonna be able to do to get ready.          I'm not that far away from Lake Michigan so am lucky that way that its realistic for me to get much OWS practice there.     

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-11-09 5:14 PM

2013-11-09 4:53 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Originally posted by KathyG

I had a Shrimp weekend down at PCB this past weekend having shrimp every day. Lots of good shrimp cooked many different ways. Lots of seafood places many have an New Orleans type menu.

Depends what type of Seafood you like where you should go. Yelp has some good reviews.

BTers typically have multiple meet up options for meals and swims morning up to the race.

Shrimp. OMG yes that and Lobster are my favs.  YUMMO CANNOT WAIT!

2013-11-09 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Since I've raced IM before,  I don't feel the need for a coach this go round.    I did for my first one, and learned much from Coach Tammy (Tripletmom01)   I can still hear her words in my head, and counter arguments to some of my prior stupid approaches to training.    

For fun here is one.    Was still cold outside, and me and my bike were still in lock down mode on my compu-trainer.    IM-Kansas 70.3   loomed.    "Hey coach Tam had another great session on the bike!  :-) "         Tam-  Yes that's good. Inside again tho huh.  Dave, I'm pretty sure Kansas is OUTSIDE!  

So with all questions answered, and then experienced on the IM course,  I pretty much know what I need to do.   

I will probably use a BT IM plan   I also did that along with being coached, and it along with my logging training served as good reminders as to how many minutes I was plus or minus or whatevs  from my goal.  

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-11-09 5:21 PM
2013-11-09 9:12 PM

User image

New user

Mahomet
Hey julio26pt2... My wife and I were handing out bikes also. Were you there with your wife? By chance, are you the couple we were talking to on the deck?

Edited by hornswil 2013-11-09 9:14 PM
2013-11-10 9:52 AM
in reply to: hornswil

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
I am in. Did IMFL this year as my first and had an absolute blast. Can't wait to get back down there and really lower my finishing time.
2013-11-10 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Kathy,

I am not sure yet. I did use the same coach from our local tri team for my first 2 IM's. How about you? what are you planning on doing?

I really need to think about this but I also can't spend alot of $$ on a coach at the moment.

Either way this journey is going to be interesting!

happy training and healthy vibes coming your way

Alicia

2013-11-10 12:08 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

Well, didn't think it would happen online, but it did. Now I am not 100% sure how I feel about IMFL!! This is my FIRST IM and, obviously, my first IMFL. I am nervous, excited, scared, etc. I have done SEVERAL Olympic and sprint distances over the past 8 years, have ran a few marathons, and did my first HIM this past summer. I loved the HIM so figured it was a good time to move forward on a goal I've had for over 5 years. I know I am capable of finishing this distance but I am SO NERVOUS about the swim. There are no "waves" in Iowa, people. I am so scared they are literally going to PULL ME out of the water. I am not a weak swimmer- mile in around 28 minutes- but this distance under the conditions I've seen in pictures makes
me downright shake in my boots (only I'm not wearing boots).

Would LOVE your insight, your tips, and any info you can give me to help ease my worry! I KNOW I will put in all of my training but how can you truly prepare for something like this??
I did do Racine 70.3 in July and the water was extremely rough (Lake Michigan). It was the roughest it's been for that event according to
all volunteers and past racers I had spoken with. It was tough. My swim was 42 minutes and I don't really recall using any "technique" but
rather sort of hanging on for dear life.

So excited to conquer this goal, but want to be smart, knowledgeable, and prepared!

Looking forward to chatting with all of you and hopefully seeing you on race week!

Midwest Tri Mom (3 beautiful daughters ages 10, 7, and 3)
Three time 5150 Nationals Qualifier

Tri Mom,

sounds like you are a good swimmer so I am sure U CAN DO IT!

The biggest issue in an Ironman is the mass start....just remember....it is a loooooooooooong day so don't feel pressured that u have to be in the front or swim like a mad woman....we will get u through this! it's going to be so much fun ;-).

You have a whole year to prepare, remember!

There are some awesome people here who have done IM FL many times and I am sure they will be giving us all tips!

Happy training!

Alicia
2013-11-10 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Comments on the run course from my RR this year:

Band on the porch at mile 5 was awesome. It was funny to look at all the runners stretched out for a mile in front of me, and they were all running at the same cadence - to the music.

Girls station at mile 2 - still awesome

The crowd was fantastic. Later in the night as people got quieter, I started thanking them for coming out and cheering, because it really makes a difference - and they would jump up and yell and scream. Interactive cheering. It was pretty good. Best sign on the course: You think you're HOT now, wait till you hit menopause.

On the last lap in I was chatting with a lady who had one of those clapping hand thingies that you wave back and forth and it claps. Fourth time past her, and it's late. As I pass she said "my hand is tired!"   I had to stop, turn around - hands out to the side and say "your HAND is tired?"   Said it twice, the crowd laughed. Great spectators at IMFL!

Edited by jashac 2013-11-10 12:49 PM
2013-11-10 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by midwesttrimom ....I am SO NERVOUS about the swim. There are no "waves" in Iowa, people. I am so scared they are literally going to PULL ME out of the water. I am not a weak swimmer- mile in around 28 minutes- but this distance under the conditions I've seen in pictures makes me downright shake in my boots (only I'm not wearing boots)....

Trimom, you're definitely ready!  I train in a swimming pool in Midland Texas.  No waves there.  2014 will be my fifth IMFL.

I always show up at PCB (Panama City Beach) a few days early just so that I can swim in the ocean for a few days.  It's a tremendous confidence builder.  And we've had some ridiculous training days.  But going out with experienced ocean swimmers and learning some little tricks for getting out and back through the breakers makes it much easier.   You're in a wetsuit and in salt water and therefore float like a cork.  To me I feel more like a kayak than a swimmer.  Also you can draft the whole way! 

The only hint I'd give you, and I'm sure you already do this, is to practice sighting.  Do some head up swimming each time you swim.  It uses slightly different muscles.

Oh, by the way, I'm in too!  Signed up on Sunday after this year's race.

Edited by jashac 2013-11-10 1:00 PM
2013-11-10 2:41 PM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by jashac

Comments on the run course from my RR this year:

Band on the porch at mile 5 was awesome. It was funny to look at all the runners stretched out for a mile in front of me, and they were all running at the same cadence - to the music.

Girls station at mile 2 - still awesome

The crowd was fantastic. Later in the night as people got quieter, I started thanking them for coming out and cheering, because it really makes a difference - and they would jump up and yell and scream. Interactive cheering. It was pretty good. Best sign on the course: You think you're HOT now, wait till you hit menopause.

On the last lap in I was chatting with a lady who had one of those clapping hand thingies that you wave back and forth and it claps. Fourth time past her, and it's late. As I pass she said "my hand is tired!"   I had to stop, turn around - hands out to the side and say "your HAND is tired?"   Said it twice, the crowd laughed. Great spectators at IMFL!

I agree. Things I forgot to put in my RR

I had to keep taking brief sit downs the second loop because I was in some pain.  I found a BENCY about 4 miles or so from the finish and I sat down.  Ther was a very nice guy who was on the out leg of his 2nd lop who joined me who was from Nils from Norway and he said he wanted to lay down and take a nap

Back 1/2 of the second loop there was a couple sitting on beach chairs by the road and had a lovely cat on their lap.  I stopped to pet the cat of course....apparently he was a friendly stray who didn't belong to them.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 79238 Posts: 1004

2013-11-07 12:37 PM speedzilla

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 133278 Posts: 1587

2012-12-22 8:28 PM LarchmontTri

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Started by boxer
Views: 180405 Posts: 2171

2011-12-09 9:23 PM kandk

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 241564 Posts: 2583

2011-06-13 9:39 PM aintaround

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 136592 Posts: 2045

2010-01-13 8:31 AM ShawnFromNorfolk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!