Never, and no intention of trying2 Votes - [7.69%]
Used to, but didn't like 'em3 Votes - [11.54%]
Haven't tried them yet, but curious4 Votes - [15.38%]

2013-11-12 3:16 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: Plyometrics

In The Triathlete's Guide to Training With Power by Skiba we're reading for this month's book club, he discusses plyometrics and their ability to help develop power.  He writes:

It is thought that plyometrics function by improving the spring-like rebound of the muscles and soft tissues.  This likely involves both enhances stiffness of the tissue itself, and the functional stiffness before footstrike as a result of improved reflex arcs that allow better pre-tensioning of the muscle.  Case reports in elite athletes, including Paula Radcliffe, the current World Record holder in women's marathon, indicate a correlation between running economy and stiffness (or rather, loss of flexibility as measured by a sit-and-reach-test).  Theoretically, this permits the athlete to use less oxygen to run at the same speed, because the elastic snap of the muscles and tendons provide some of the energy required. 

I haven't done plyometrics in over 10 years, but I'm thinking of slowly and "gently" trying to introduce some.

Do you do them?  If so, what do you do?  How did you begin integrating them?  Other thoughts about plyos?

2013-11-12 3:35 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Plyometrics

I don't. At least not yet (running for about 8 years).  They seem to be relatively high risk/low reward to me, for the most part.  I prefer some easier 'plyo-type' exercises, like strides and hills.  Not exactly the explosive movements of most plyos, but seem to help make my running stride feel easier and more relaxed.

2013-11-12 3:45 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Just shooting from the hip.  I'm not a run guru.  BUT, maybe for the elite runner looking for an edge, plyometrics may be provide a small edge, but as mentioned above, also a lot of risk.  I think run volume and intensity is 90% of the equation, so spending time on the last 10% seems a bit inefficient use of time plus it may take away from the effectiveness of your run workouts due to fatigue or over training.

Using a golf analogy.  A beginner could work on the nuances of working the ball (draw/fade) but would probably improve their game a LOT more just working on consistency and ball striking than spending time on details.  Do that when the basics are solid and looking for the next step to improve.

If you were in a sport that required a lot of explosive movements, I can see a LOT of plyo work and probably a lot less LSD stuff.

2013-11-12 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I think technically things like bounding and A skips can be considered so I could answer yes.  I don't incorporate them into any sort of workout, just dynamic stretching as prescribed by the coach.   

2013-11-12 4:06 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I've done some "light" type plyometric movements in the past to restrengthen a sprained ankle and still do them occasionally to keep my ankles which are sprain prone somewhat strengthened.

For me, this only amounts to doing some basic "dice" drills after easy runs. I personally wouldn't bother with box jumps and the like. I'd just hurt myself.
2013-11-12 4:14 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Seattle

Yes. 

Bouding, box jumps, squat jumps. 

2013-11-12 4:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Plyometric exercises are one of those things that seem to be poorly understood by most people, yet everyone wants to do them anyway.  IMO, most people try to either add them into their training before their body is ready for them, do too much too soon, or do them Incorrectly.

In general, you should have a fairly high fitness level before even contemplating them.  They should be implemented slowly, starting with very low volumes of lower intensity exercises, and progress conservatively.

I've only done them with high school and college athletes.  I haven't worked with an age group endurance athlete where I felt plyo work made sense.

Here is a good article that may also be helpful:  http://www.nsca.com/Education/Articles/Common-Mistakes-in-the-Implementation-of-Plyometrics/

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-11-12 4:16 PM
2013-11-12 4:26 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Plyometric exercises are one of those things that seem to be poorly understood by most people, yet everyone wants to do them anyway.  IMO, most people try to either add them into their training before their body is ready for them, do too much too soon, or do them Incorrectly.

In general, you should have a fairly high fitness level before even contemplating them.  They should be implemented slowly, starting with very low volumes of lower intensity exercises, and progress conservatively.

I've only done them with high school and college athletes.  I haven't worked with an age group endurance athlete where I felt plyo work made sense.

Here is a good article that may also be helpful:  http://www.nsca.com/Education/Articles/Common-Mistakes-in-the-Implementation-of-Plyometrics/

Great source.

I should elaborate on my answer. I built a pretty high fitness level before I started integrating them and I do them almost exclusively with our coaches supervision (with exception of the bounding, which might not even totally count.

We tend to do more of this during summer track season and then in fall for XC. Not so much during half marathon/marathon training. 

2013-11-12 4:31 PM

Spring/Woodlands Area
Second this, specifically for what people usually think of. I'm okay with using some low level plyos (line jumps, jump rope, etc) or stabilization plyos (squat jump and hold the landing) in people with less fitness, but that can get dicey.

For most AG triathletes, there are probably better options for limited time availability.

I would also add that if you don't have solid squat mechanics, fixing that should come first. Plyos without solid strength and neuromuscular control is asking for problems.
2013-11-12 5:58 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

There are many different kinds of plyos and I'm definitely not talking 30" box jumps:)

The exercises that Skiba show's in Chapter 3 of the book quoted above don't look that "risky" per se--they're a progression from single leg hops up to a step, to cone jumps, to shallowish (max 8") box jump-cone hop, to forward leaps and bounding repeats. 

It would seem like there are age groupers with a high enough fitness level that these exercises wouldn't be inherently risky.  They kinda seem like stuff people with active jobs (firefighting, farming, etc) do all the time.  Is it just that you have felt the AG athletes you work with would be better served spending their time doing something else? 

Do you agree with the premise of a "correlation of running economy and stiffness" and do anything specific to address that in a different way, or is it really just a pointy end concern?

2013-11-12 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

I do some light plyometrics. A large part of running propulsion is elastic rebound, and plyos help build/condition the rebound and so improve running economy. I think the keys to plyos are that (1) you need to be very strong before you start them (by strong I mean core/hip/knee/ankle stability), and (2) a little bit goes a long way, so they dont take a lot of time. Doing them in front of a mirror is a good idea -- watch that your knees aren't falling inward, hips aren't sagging, etc. If you cant maintain good form, then you are lacking strength, and you should postpone plyos while you build strength.

2013-11-12 8:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by switch

There are many different kinds of plyos and I'm definitely not talking 30" box jumps

The exercises that Skiba show's in Chapter 3 of the book quoted above don't look that "risky" per se--they're a progression from single leg hops up to a step, to cone jumps, to shallowish (max 8") box jump-cone hop, to forward leaps and bounding repeats. 

It would seem like there are age groupers with a high enough fitness level that these exercises wouldn't be inherently risky.  They kinda seem like stuff people with active jobs (firefighting, farming, etc) do all the time.  Is it just that you have felt the AG athletes you work with would be better served spending their time doing something else? 

Do you agree with the premise of a "correlation of running economy and stiffness" and do anything specific to address that in a different way, or is it really just a pointy end concern?

I should qualify my answer by pointing out that I'm an NSCA-CPT, so I tend to follow their guidelines, which some people might consider conservative regarding application of plyometric exercise, hence my statement about having a higher level of fitness first and progressing conservatively.

That said, I would say that most of the AGer's I've worked with could physically handle them, but with AGer's, we're always looking at how to get the best return on their limited available time.  IMO, considering the primary performance limiters and goals of most AGer's, there are better ways to spend their available training time than doing plyometrics, whether it's s/b/r training or other types of strength training for specific purposes.  The HS and college athletes I've worked with have had specific reasons to incorporate them, such as divers or swimmers who we want to improve their height off the board or distance off the starting blocks or walls; or football players who can obviously benefit from increased explosive power.  My statement about who I have and have not done them with was intended to be in response to your OP where you asked who did or didn't do them.

Yes, I agree with the premise that there is a correlation between running economy and stiffness, because there seems to be mounting evidence to support the connection.  But, again, I personally haven't dealt with an athlete where I wasn't able to identify other higher priorities to focus training on, so I've never done anything specifically intended to address that.  Usually, we're spending all the available strength training time trying to correct the imbalances caused by their modern life that includes long commutes sitting in a car and a couple dozen hours a week in front of the computer, maintaining muscle mass and bone density in aging athletes, or warding off the imbalances that can develop from so many hours training in sports that occur primarily in the sagittal plane.

The closest we get is with some running drills, such as Bobby McGee's ankle springs, but I don't consider them plyometrics, because there isn't an emphasis on making the amortization phase as short as possible, and we do more repetitions of them than I would have someone do a true plyometric exercise, because they're not as intense.

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-11-12 8:04 PM
2013-11-12 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Good source here Don, Mistakes #3,4,5 and really what most people misunderstand about plyometrics.

For the age group triathlete I would not prescribe plyometrics very many reasons but mostly because of TIME.

For example with plyos you are working on very high rest durations to recover from the stresses placed. I prescribe rest ratios of 1:5 up to 1:10 when I am working with athletes (not age group triathletes). That is A LOT of rest and the body NEEDS it. That is a sacrifice to time.

Also form is very important in plyos and many AG athletes simply do not have the strength and form to complete a plyo session correctly.

I say your time is spent better elsewhere.

2013-11-12 8:14 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Bronze member

There are many different kinds of plyos and I'm definitely not talking 30" box jumps

I originally thought no - I never do that stuff. But I after reading your description I think I do, inadvertently though. I teach a class at the Y for preschoolers & toddlers (Toddler Gym). We work on jump ups from the floor to a step or on top of a Bosu ball, bound from one bosu ball to the next, hop around the room like a frog (I'm way too old for that), jump on one foot, skip, gallop.

I think I'll change the name of the class to Toddler Plyometrics .

2013-11-13 10:02 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

There are many different kinds of plyos and I'm definitely not talking 30" box jumps:)

I should qualify my answer by pointing out that I'm an NSCA-CPT, so I tend to follow their guidelines, which some people might consider conservative regarding application of plyometric exercise, hence my statement about having a higher level of fitness first and progressing conservatively.

That said, I would say that most of the AGer's I've worked with could physically handle them, but with AGer's, we're always looking at how to get the best return on their limited available time.  IMO, considering the primary performance limiters and goals of most AGer's, there are better ways to spend their available training time than doing plyometrics, whether it's s/b/r training or other types of strength training for specific purposes.  The HS and college athletes I've worked with have had specific reasons to incorporate them, such as divers or swimmers who we want to improve their height off the board or distance off the starting blocks or walls; or football players who can obviously benefit from increased explosive power.  My statement about who I have and have not done them with was intended to be in response to your OP where you asked who did or didn't do them.

Yes, I agree with the premise that there is a correlation between running economy and stiffness, because there seems to be mounting evidence to support the connection.  But, again, I personally haven't dealt with an athlete where I wasn't able to identify other higher priorities to focus training on, so I've never done anything specifically intended to address that.  Usually, we're spending all the available strength training time trying to correct the imbalances caused by their modern life that includes long commutes sitting in a car and a couple dozen hours a week in front of the computer, maintaining muscle mass and bone density in aging athletes, or warding off the imbalances that can develop from so many hours training in sports that occur primarily in the sagittal plane.

The closest we get is with some running drills, such as Bobby McGee's ankle springs, but I don't consider them plyometrics, because there isn't an emphasis on making the amortization phase as short as possible, and we do more repetitions of them than I would have someone do a true plyometric exercise, because they're not as intense.

Thanks for the response.
Good stuff to think about.  I can certainly see how most AGers could be better served--if it is an either/or situation--working on things to correct kyphotic posture and imbalances. 

2013-11-13 10:11 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by trigal38

I originally thought no - I never do that stuff. But I after reading your description I think I do, inadvertently though. I teach a class at the Y for preschoolers & toddlers (Toddler Gym). We work on jump ups from the floor to a step or on top of a Bosu ball, bound from one bosu ball to the next, hop around the room like a frog (I'm way too old for that), jump on one foot, skip, gallop.

I think I'll change the name of the class to Toddler Plyometrics :).

I love that you posted this!

So much of the play I do with my kids is plyo like.  We live in a converted barn, and the main floor is one big open space with a large fireplace in the middle.  We will often do chasing laps around the main floor--bounds, skips, jumps--as a game, and it definitely seems applicable.  We also do a ton of game play-capture the flag, different kinds of tag, jumping hay bale to hay bale or off of hay bales, you get the idea :)  It's "just" play, but I think it ends up translating in some fashion to the intent of plyos.

I think a lot of adults just stop moving their bodies like that.  If you break down a game of tag or a skipping chase session into what it's doing in terms of "training," it probably has quite a bit of good stuff in there.

Maybe I'll just play with my kids more.  That sounds like a win all the way around.

2013-11-13 10:27 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I had to vote "Never".

As I mentioned in Shane's thread on running economy, I'm 60 years old and have degenerative tendinosis in both Achilles tendons.  Plyometrics are too high risk in my situation.  My orthopedic surgeon has also had me give up any other sports that require jumping and/or sudden starts, stops or changes of direction.

Mark 

2013-11-13 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I voted year round because the class I teach which is a full body, core intensive drill based "bootcamp" style class includes several rounds of plyos.  I've been teaching it for about 10 years and I can tell you that it has definitely taken its toll on my joints--but it's also a big part of how I stay fiercely lean.  It's like the best friend/worst enemy.

The goal of my class like most other group fitness classes is overall improved general fitness and improving body composition.  For endurance athletes, it would be considered a cross training day.  While I do think it's helped me cardiovascularly because it's essentially zone training, I've never really thought of it as directly applicable to triathlon training.  The problem for me is that it zaps my strength and energy for a day and basically makes any s/b/r training I would do that day or the next into a lackluster session.

I do love them and love that feeling of a super concentrated quick burst of power.  But I think I'd be a faster triathlete without them (at least doing them once a week into tri training season).  I guess I don't care THAT much about being a still as average as I am now but slightly faster AG'er.

2013-11-13 1:17 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by noelle1230

I voted year round because the class I teach which is a full body, core intensive drill based "bootcamp" style class includes several rounds of plyos.  I've been teaching it for about 10 years and I can tell you that it has definitely taken its toll on my joints--but it's also a big part of how I stay fiercely lean.  It's like the best friend/worst enemy.

The goal of my class like most other group fitness classes is overall improved general fitness and improving body composition.  For endurance athletes, it would be considered a cross training day.  While I do think it's helped me cardiovascularly because it's essentially zone training, I've never really thought of it as directly applicable to triathlon training.  The problem for me is that it zaps my strength and energy for a day and basically makes any s/b/r training I would do that day or the next into a lackluster session.

I do love them and love that feeling of a super concentrated quick burst of power.  But I think I'd be a faster triathlete without them (at least doing them once a week into tri training season).  I guess I don't care THAT much about being a still as average as I am now but slightly faster AG'er.

I may be misunderstanding you, but plyos are not conditioning drills. And you are "zapped" because it is zoo demanding on your nervous system.
2013-11-13 1:35 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by bcagle25

I may be misunderstanding you, but plyos are not conditioning drills. And you are "zapped" because it is zoo demanding on your nervous system.

Plyos most certainly can be conditioning drills and in my class that is how they are used.  Zapped because it's essentially a zone 4/5 workout.  It's similar to HIIT where the high intensity portion is the plyos.

2013-11-13 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Plyos most certainly can be conditioning drills and in my class that is how they are used.  Zapped because it's essentially a zone 4/5 workout.  It's similar to HIIT where the high intensity portion is the plyos.

See the link that Don posted and read mistake #3. I completely disagree with you and I think most strength and conditioning professionals will as well.

The NSCA defines plyometrics as activities that enable a muscle to reach maximal force in the shortest possible time. This is done through quick and powerful movements through the use of the SSC.

You cannot do these quick and powerful movements without proper rest in between each set. For example if I am going to have an athlete jump off a box to learn the mechanics of how to absorb force I might write a set that has 15 seconds between each jump and 3 minutes between each set. This is to properly rest. This goes back to my rest intervals that I mentioned previously in this post. Plyometric program design can be written similarly to power training. i.e. lots of rest is needed between sets.

2013-11-13 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

See the link that Don posted and read mistake #3. I completely disagree with you and I think most strength and conditioning professionals will as well. The NSCA defines plyometrics as activities that enable a muscle to reach maximal force in the shortest possible time. This is done through quick and powerful movements through the use of the SSC. You cannot do these quick and powerful movements without proper rest in between each set. For example if I am going to have an athlete jump off a box to learn the mechanics of how to absorb force I might write a set that has 15 seconds between each jump and 3 minutes between each set. This is to properly rest. This goes back to my rest intervals that I mentioned previously in this post. Plyometric program design can be written similarly to power training. i.e. lots of rest is needed between sets.

Yes, we recover between sets.  Doesn't make the 75 minute workout any less intense or draining.

2013-11-13 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

See the link that Don posted and read mistake #3. I completely disagree with you and I think most strength and conditioning professionals will as well. The NSCA defines plyometrics as activities that enable a muscle to reach maximal force in the shortest possible time. This is done through quick and powerful movements through the use of the SSC. You cannot do these quick and powerful movements without proper rest in between each set. For example if I am going to have an athlete jump off a box to learn the mechanics of how to absorb force I might write a set that has 15 seconds between each jump and 3 minutes between each set. This is to properly rest. This goes back to my rest intervals that I mentioned previously in this post. Plyometric program design can be written similarly to power training. i.e. lots of rest is needed between sets.

Yes, we recover between sets.  Doesn't make the 75 minute workout any less intense or draining.

Heh, I don't know how to respond to this anymore, especially with your thoughts on how it can be considered conditioning.

"Mistake #3 - Turning plyometrics into conditioning

Example: A coach/personal trainer does not allow for full recovery between sets or exercises. This not only reduces the likelihood of training benefits but also subjects the athletes or clients to greater risk of injuries."

"On this note, remember that plyometric exercises are not meant to be conditioning. They are exercises aimed at increasing power development. Thus, it is important that you treat them as such and keep volume relatively low, movement quality and speeds very high, and utilize proper exercise progression at all times."
2013-11-13 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Heh, I don't know how to respond to this anymore, especially with your thoughts on how it can be considered conditioning. "Mistake #3 - Turning plyometrics into conditioning Example: A coach/personal trainer does not allow for full recovery between sets or exercises. This not only reduces the likelihood of training benefits but also subjects the athletes or clients to greater risk of injuries." "On this note, remember that plyometric exercises are not meant to be conditioning. They are exercises aimed at increasing power development. Thus, it is important that you treat them as such and keep volume relatively low, movement quality and speeds very high, and utilize proper exercise progression at all times."

To say that plyos have no place in a conditioning class, I respectfully disagree.  I don't even understand the statement you quoted above "On this note, remember that plyometric exercises are not meant to be conditioning. They are exercises aimed at increasing power development".  Isn't increasing power development a way to condition the body?

Secondly, I've already stated that we make a full recovery between sets so I'm not sure why you're citing that again.

2013-11-13 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Heh, I don't know how to respond to this anymore, especially with your thoughts on how it can be considered conditioning. "Mistake #3 - Turning plyometrics into conditioning Example: A coach/personal trainer does not allow for full recovery between sets or exercises. This not only reduces the likelihood of training benefits but also subjects the athletes or clients to greater risk of injuries." "On this note, remember that plyometric exercises are not meant to be conditioning. They are exercises aimed at increasing power development. Thus, it is important that you treat them as such and keep volume relatively low, movement quality and speeds very high, and utilize proper exercise progression at all times."

To say that plyos have no place in a conditioning class, I respectfully disagree.  I don't even understand the statement you quoted above "On this note, remember that plyometric exercises are not meant to be conditioning. They are exercises aimed at increasing power development".  Isn't increasing power development a way to condition the body?

Secondly, I've already stated that we make a full recovery between sets so I'm not sure why you're citing that again.

I think here conditioning is meant to indicate training of the aerobic systems. Bcagle is pointing out that the purpose of plyometrics is to increase maximal power, not aerobic endurance. If you do not allow rest, you are not getting the intended benefits out of your plyometrics

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plyometrics Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Winter bike workouts/Plyometrics

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 943 Posts: 9

2010-05-12 12:18 PM noelle1230

Kids and Plyometrics

Started by moabrunner
Views: 1010 Posts: 3

2009-11-09 7:29 AM chunta

plyometrics

Started by newbie13
Views: 1436 Posts: 9

2008-01-20 5:48 AM Mrs. brown_dog_us

Plyometrics anyone?

Started by HotRod
Views: 765 Posts: 12

2007-05-03 11:15 AM BobbyD

Plyometrics

Started by Irongirl
Views: 932 Posts: 2

2004-03-08 1:28 PM haris
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2009
author : Coach-Al
comments : 0
In this segment, Coach Al speaks of three daily running objectives. Included are videos of various warmup exercises to increase your hip mobility.

date : June 11, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Plyometric drills and exercises excite the elastic component of the muscles so that the muscles are trained to react powerfully and explosively.