General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FTP Test question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-16 9:10 PM

User image

Subject: FTP Test question
So I made the jump and got a power meter. I tried reading "Training with a Power Meter" but it was basically useless until I did this test, so I'm going to get back into it again. Anyway.... I tried to do the FTP test where he has:
20 min warm up
3x1 100+ rpm 1min + 1 min recovery
5 min medium effort
5 minute all out
10 minute medium effort
20 minute all out, and then

Here's my problem though. I wasn't able to do the full 5 minute all out. I tried to hold off doing it until I was past some bridges that had 90 degree turns but then at 3 minutes into it, the trail had construction and the test for the part was over. The part I was at also had some underpasses where I had to slow down or risk causing an accident. I followed the rest of the test and did the 20 minute all out and averaged 261w. Looking at the book, I take this *.95 and I get 247.5 for my FTP (do I round up to 250??). Does this test still seem valid to you guys, since I half assed the 5 minute all out? I assume that would have made me slightly more tired but not by a lot since the 10 min recovery would have recharged me either way. Here's my test data:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/405045051

After seeing a lot of the guy's 300w FTP examples in the book, I feel like I'm pretty far behind other bikers but at least I'm (hopefully) creating baseline data for which to start my new workouts next week.

2013-11-16 9:17 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: FTP Test question
The 20 minute all out is all that matters. The rest is just to get your body warned up for the key effort.
2013-11-16 9:24 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
^pretty much this... it's just to give you a baseline to work off of.

If at any time you think your FTP is too low, do an hour trying to hold that number... it's usually a nice humbling experience.

(I'd round to 250)
2013-11-16 9:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alright, thanks guys. I semi tried this on the trainer this week and man it sucked. Every site I looked at said you should do this outside since it's too easy to overheat on the trainer. Today is probably the last good day until spring, so I'm glad I got it done and it's valid.

Edited by Blastman 2013-11-16 9:39 PM
2013-11-16 10:08 PM

User image

Your test is good enough. Your FTP number isn't "that" important. At any given moment, nobody really knows what their FTP is unless they just finished an hour long max effort and executed it properly. The key is getting a ballpark of your FTP, then using it to guide your training. If you notice your training is getting too easy, it's probably a sign that your FTP has gone up. Likewise if you can't handle the prescribed workouts, your FTP may be lower than what your test indicates.

I haven't done a 20' FTP test on my tri bike in over 2 years. But I have a good idea of what my FTP is based on my training. I validated that by hitting that number within 2 watts during a 40k TT.
2013-11-16 11:29 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

You're fine with the test you did. I would use 245 or 250 just for rounding purposes, and even that doesn't matter as much as w/kg. To be a top AGer you need 4 w/kg or higher. That's the number you are after.

2013-11-17 7:26 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Jason N Your test is good enough. Your FTP number isn't "that" important. At any given moment, nobody really knows what their FTP is unless they just finished an hour long max effort and executed it properly. The key is getting a ballpark of your FTP, then using it to guide your training. If you notice your training is getting too easy, it's probably a sign that your FTP has gone up. Likewise if you can't handle the prescribed workouts, your FTP may be lower than what your test indicates. I haven't done a 20' FTP test on my tri bike in over 2 years. But I have a good idea of what my FTP is based on my training. I validated that by hitting that number within 2 watts during a 40k TT.

Jason is right. It is just a number that you can use to set up your training intervals and ultimately your pacing in races. It is important to try to be consistent in how you test. If you change your testing protocal you will likely see changes in your FTP.  You may want to look at the books by Dr. Skiba as well. They have some good info on training with power. 

Don't get too hung up on what everyone else says is their FTP. No one really knows unless they do a 60 minute test. Everything else is just an educated guess.  I hate testing so rarely do it...primarily because it hurts like hell and I don't like wetting myself.  I cant imagine riding an hour at what is supposed to be my FTP. Maybe I could do it if I was being chased by a pack of zombies riding cheetahs but still not sure. I think there are some key workouts that are a better indicator of what you may be able to do during a race than just using some percentage of FTP.. For an olympic race 3 X 20 minutes at just above goal power on 3 minutes easy. Say you want to ride the race at 250w you would do 255-260w for the intervals. Breaks things up a little but still gives you an idea of what your body can sustain. 

Power is a great tool on the bike but its just a metric that will hopefully allow you to improve. Would be even better if it somehow made me a better swimmer  

2013-11-17 8:42 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Champion
MA

Agree with what others say.

My preference is doing a different FTP like Skilba uses.

I find the 20' test tends to over estimate my FTP.

I also find doing FTP test indoors and outdoors will give me a different number. Testing outside and using and using that number inside for me would mean I wouldn't hit my numbers on the trainer. As time on the trainer progresses, for me it becomes relatively easier to push myself inside. Once Spring comes after about 4-6 weeks of outside riding, I will see a bump up in FTP.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FTP Test question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Final FTP Bike Test Tonight!!!

Started by miami9296
Views: 1220 Posts: 6

2010-04-22 12:40 PM KathyG

FTP Testing on bike today...have question...

Started by miami9296
Views: 991 Posts: 3

2010-03-07 7:00 PM ADollar79

First good FTP test of the year

Started by newbz
Views: 1985 Posts: 10

2009-03-03 10:05 PM newbz

FTP bike test

Started by Plissken74
Views: 6549 Posts: 13

2009-01-15 1:08 PM JorgeM

FTP test on road or trainer

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 1969 Posts: 17

2008-09-24 11:25 AM Tri Take Me Away
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.

date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 16, 2008
author : CPT
Colorado Premier Training runs Aaron through a stepwise power test on a Velotron to collect baseline data for future position changes.

date : August 17, 2007
author : mikericci
If you are just getting off the couch, chances are you aren’t in any shape for an all out 30 minute run or bike LT test. So, what should you do?
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.