Other Resources My Cup of Joe » New business name/site- another WWCOJD Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-17 1:09 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Subject: New business name/site- another WWCOJD

I will try my best to have a neutral post, to discourage responses in my favor.

Dave/briderdt/hubby is going to start building bike frames. He is trying to name his business and specifically get a domain name. His background is 75% Norwegian and he is using his roots to help name the company.

The idea is to name the frame building business after Thor's hammer, Mjolnir. He got a tattoo a few years back that is an upside down Thor's hammer (aka a "T") with a blade triskele in the center. (Blade triskele is a Celtic symbol that in his words are the "warrior symbol of the trinity", I add that the trinity is very prominent in Lutheran denomination in which he grew up in with a father who was a Pastor.)

The idea is to name the business Mjolnir Sykkel and have the website name be: mjolnirsykkel.com (or .biz or whatever...)

Do you think that is a unique and memorable business and website name and therefore easy to remember? Or do you think the spelling adds a difficult element to it?

2013-11-17 1:15 PM
in reply to: lkct01234

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: New business name/site- another WWCOJD

It should be noted that "sykkel" is the Norwegian word for "cycles" or "bicycles".

2013-11-17 1:35 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I think you're better served with a business name that is a recognizable word--prefferably one or two (KISS method)--with nothing unusual in the spelling.  Save special names and things with meaning for specific frames or something else that you do within your business, but keep the name as clean, simple, and as easy to remember and pronounce as possible.

2013-11-17 1:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by switch

I think you're better served with a business name that is a recognizable word--prefferably one or two (KISS method)--with nothing unusual in the spelling.  Save special names and things with meaning for specific frames or something else that you do within your business, but keep the name as clean, simple, and as easy to remember and pronounce as possible.

X2. I can't imagine a customer trying to remember a name with such non-phonetic spelling and esoteric meaning, much less typing that URL into a browser window. If you're naming it to please yourself, that's find. If you're naming it for your customers I'd go back to the drawing board.

2013-11-17 4:22 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Hard to pronounce
Hard to remember
Hard to spell

None of those are outstanding attributes for business success. Not saying it isn't POSSIBLE...but it certainly doesn't stack the deck in your favor.
2013-11-17 4:25 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
I also think it sounds like a spam website to me. Sorry.

Edited by tricrazy 2013-11-17 4:25 PM

2013-11-17 4:40 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

for a web-based business, it is going to be realllllly hard.  if you have a store/shop/location and are focusing on local business, it's not really so bad.  i love the idea and the imagery and how it lends itself to logos/merchandise.  i have NEVER been to the websites for my local cycling shops because i know where they are, who they are, and i'd rather just head on over to talk to them.  (however, i could google them if i needed to, simpler names)

but - if you are trying for a virtual business it is not a good name.  i bet its not taken yet..

Edited by mehaner 2013-11-17 4:41 PM
2013-11-17 4:45 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by lkct01234

Dave/briderdt/hubby is going to start building bike frames. He is trying to name his business and specifically get a domain name. His background is 75% Norwegian and he is using his roots to help name the company.

The idea is to name the frame building business after Thor's hammer, Mjolnir. He got a tattoo a few years back that is an upside down Thor's hammer (aka a "T") with a blade triskele in the center. (Blade triskele is a Celtic symbol that in his words are the "warrior symbol of the trinity", I add that the trinity is very prominent in Lutheran denomination in which he grew up in with a father who was a Pastor.)

The idea is to name the business Mjolnir Sykkel and have the website name be: mjolnirsykkel.com (or .biz or whatever...)

Do you think that is a unique and memorable business and website name and therefore easy to remember? Or do you think the spelling adds a difficult element to it?

Can I place an order for a chrome lugged, steel touring bike painted in maroon red?
2013-11-17 4:49 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Let's also keep in mind the TYPE of business we're discussing. This isn't a web-based business. It's a local custom bike frame builder. The website, facebook presence, Flickr pages, etc., would all follow from organic growth, not from any kind of search engine optimization. I'm not out to become the next CannonTrekalized, or even Serotta or Richard Sachs. 

2013-11-17 4:51 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by briderdt

Let's also keep in mind the TYPE of business we're discussing. This isn't a web-based business. It's a local custom bike frame builder. The website, facebook presence, Flickr pages, etc., would all follow from organic growth, not from any kind of search engine optimization. I'm not out to become the next CannonTrekalized, or even Serotta or Richard Sachs. 

I too think the name is too esoteric. Think of Lynskey. I'd bet 2 people on this board know about them and we're both of them. Mention Litespeed and every one knows them. That's branding.
2013-11-17 6:24 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by pitt83

I too think the name is too esoteric. Think of Lynskey. I'd bet 2 people on this board know about them and we're both of them. Mention Litespeed and every one knows them. That's branding.

"On this board..." There's a huge part of the problem with even asking this question here. I could name a good dozen custom buildefs that are doing quite well, and guarantee you that no one on this board has heard of them. But the people in that market have heard of Lynskey and know their story.

Edited by briderdt 2013-11-17 6:32 PM

2013-11-17 6:39 PM

User image

Elite
I say go for shock value. You like Thor. He's got a hammer right? Ya like Sykkel.
Throw up a red flag with the old school hammer and "sykkel."
"Cyclists of the (insert your geographic region here), UNITE!"

Just an idea.
2013-11-17 6:49 PM

User image

Champion

"On this board..." There's a huge part of the problem with even asking this question here. I could name a good dozen custom buildefs that are doing quite well, and guarantee you that no one on this board has heard of them. But the people in that market have heard of Lynskey and know their story.

But, in my experience at my LBS; the $400 into bikes is what makes the profit. Sure; you and I see the high end stuff and justify it. But it doesn't pay the bills.

I guess it comes down to what you want. Extreme cool factor and uber quality or a bit of volume to serve a larger market to make profitability your biggest goal. Branding is a cornerstone to that. I'd seek a more main stream liable to achieve the tip,toward more volume sales.
2013-11-17 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

This dude near me has an ethnically-named-and-themed successful custom bike-building business.  (I guess.  If you consider Irish an "ethnicity." work with me  here.)

I thought of him instantly when you asked the question. Agree with the KISS principle.

If you make it hard to spell, people will never find it online.  Or look it up in the phone book.   Or be able to tell their friends how to find it.

ETA:  He's not *currently* near me.  Near my home in the US. 

Edited by moondawg14 2013-11-17 7:05 PM
2013-11-17 7:27 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I read the OP and the proposed name once, and intentionally did not re-read it to see if I would remember the name (which I think was part of the question, I don't know because I haven't let myself re-read the post yet).

Trying to recall - I would type into Google:

Major Sickle

Spelled in the oddest ways I could think of, and add "custom frames" to the search.
Do you think I would find you? I don't know. But I think you need to be "find-able" to your customer. 

I don't personally like the idea of a totally obscure business name from a customer perspective. It means nothing to me unless I do a lot of background research and then commit it to memory (which I won't). Which is OK I guess, just not memorable whatsoever.  

Edited by lisac957 2013-11-17 7:28 PM
2013-11-17 8:51 PM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Regular
LHOTP

But, in my experience at my LBS; the $400 into bikes is what makes the profit. Sure; you and I see the high end stuff and justify it. But it doesn't pay the bills. I guess it comes down to what you want. Extreme cool factor and uber quality or a bit of volume to serve a larger market to make profitability your biggest goal. Branding is a cornerstone to that. I'd seek a more main stream liable to achieve the tip,toward more volume sales.

You're totally right, and this is an important part of branding.  Knowing your target market is key.  Following this exchange is actually pretty insightful and a good window into your market: not only are you cyclists, you're elitist cyclists.  The snobbiest of the snobby and the geekiest of the geeky.  This sounds like a put-down, but it really isn't; it's your market.  A good name for your business will be a name that makes your potential customers feel like they're in the "in" group.  A reference to something only you guys know or care about? Win. But it should still be easy to pronounce and follow spelling convention because it will, as you said, "follow from organic growth"; you want a name that people remember easily after doing a group ride, talking at the coffee shop or packing up after a race.

2013-11-18 8:04 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by pitt83  But, in my experience at my LBS; the $400 into bikes is what makes the profit. Sure; you and I see the high end stuff and justify it. But it doesn't pay the bills.

Here's the crux of the problem -- the LBS and mass production IS NOT THE MARKET. You'll never see these frames on the floor of the LBS (unless some one has one in for repairs/adjustments).

As for paying the bills? Ask Richard Sachs if his high-end stuff doesn't pay the bills.

2013-11-18 9:12 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

If it were me I would look into something like 

Sykkel Cycle

You still get your Norwegian nod, but it's fun to say and easy(ier) to remember. 
You could have your logo incorporate the Thor hammer so you don't completely lose your first vision/inspiration.

2013-11-18 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I love the history and name, but as the others have mentioned it's a really hard one to spell/remember.  I think there's a zero point zero chance I could ever learn to spell Mjolnir lol.  

However, I propose splitting the difference.  Sykkel.com is cool and I'm assuming it's pronounced somewhat like "cycle" so I recommend naming it as you mentioned as Mjolnir Sykkel but use msykkel.com as the domain name.  I just checked it and it's available.  The general rule of thumb is the shorter the domain name the better and msykkel.com is fairly easy to remember.

2013-11-18 9:58 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I think it can be esoteric, but I really am not a fan of hard to spell/say.   If I was having a conversation about custom frame builders (and this does happen) I may even be too embarrassed to try to say it for fear of being wrong and it's a missed opportunity.  Or it would be jumbled at best. And, let me add, I am  pretty good with languages and spelling.

One of the more famous frame builders in my area is Peacock Groove.   I have no idea what the name means to him, but it's really catchy for some reason.  This is why I still think esoteric can work.

How about "Thor's Hammer Custom Frames"?

2013-11-18 10:08 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

There is no way I could say that name, remember it, or even attempt to spell it. If he is mainly marketing to an American audience it might be too challenging.

2013-11-18 10:38 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Go with something recognizable and Norwegian. Valhalla bikes ( just an example, not a suggestion! ) or something Viking related for the company name? Name the different frame models Mjolnir , Triskele or Sykkel.

Edited by mdg2003 2013-11-18 10:54 AM
2013-11-18 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I really like the idea of playing to your Norwegian roots, but I agree with others on here that it really would be too much to try and remember both the name and the spelling, and I wouldn't know where to start to try and pronounce it.  

Is it possible to shorten the name to just something with "Sykkel" and have the logo incorporate the hammer?  

2013-11-18 11:10 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I really like the idea of playing to your Norwegian roots, but I agree with others on here that it really would be too much to try and remember both the name and the spelling, and I wouldn't know where to start to try and pronounce it.  

Is it possible to shorten the name to just something with "Sykkel" and have the logo incorporate the hammer?

I'm more attached to the "Mjolnir" part than "Sykkel". Sykkel was just in keeping with the Norwegian theme.

Here's why -- it's more than just a reference to a random Norwegian mythology item or a tattoo.

From Wikipedia:

"Mjölnir is depicted in Norse mythology as one of the most fearsome weapons, capable of leveling mountains."

"...compares the name to Russian [blast this editor doesn't allow cyrillic] (molniya) and the Welsh word mellt, both words are taken as meaning "lightning"."

Skáldskaparmál from Snorri's Edda:
"Then he gave the hammer to Thor, and said that Thor might smite as hard as he desired, whatsoever might be before him, and the hammer would not fail; and if he threw it at anything, it would never miss, and never fly so far as not to return to his hand."

And from Marvel comics, Mjolnir is inscribed with this:

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

I was thinking of a tagline being, "Are you worthy to take up the hammer?"

I didn't come up with this in a vacuum of input. I've done lot of reading and in discussion with other prominent leaders in the custom bike world, especially regarding branding. The overwhelming response is that what you sell is yourself, your skill, and your ethos -- what do you stand for? The name itself is somewhat irrelevant as long as it's unique. But in this case, the name reflects the ethos.

And lest I come across as trying to defend myself, that's not the case. I'm trying to fully disclose the thought process, volume and target market.

Edited by briderdt 2013-11-18 11:12 AM
2013-11-18 11:27 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

If you have to explain yourself in that much length I think it's too complicated. Will your average customer/target appreciate all of that research and background into your storefront name, or will they care more about the actual product?

I LOVE the idea of using the unique words as model names. THAT would be cool!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » New business name/site- another WWCOJD Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Business card site recommendations (not like vistaprint)

Started by auto208562
Views: 3111 Posts: 6

2011-06-02 7:40 AM geauxtri

WWCOJD: Web site design on a budget

Started by AcesFull
Views: 808 Posts: 6

2009-06-02 10:03 AM steveseer

WwCOJD? - Name Change Pages: 1 2

Started by Sharkie
Views: 1443 Posts: 40

2009-05-18 7:38 AM Silver_wlf

WWCOJD re: sharing hotel room on a business trip Pages: 1 2

Started by condorman
Views: 2384 Posts: 36

2009-04-15 12:33 PM graceful_dave

need web site name???

Started by houston-tri-mama
Views: 477 Posts: 4

2007-11-07 10:36 AM houston-tri-mama
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : October 17, 2004
author : infosteward
I want your tastes to be satisfied. I want you to feel like you’re coming home each Monday when you view the new articles uploaded to the site.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 38
Know how to get around BT. Some essentials on emails, passwords, pictures, login problems and more.