General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Race - Crystal Lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-12-07 9:05 PM

User image

New user
Subject: New Race - Crystal Lake
So it looks like there is a new race coming to Crystal Lake, IL. It is called 'Illinois Triathlon Championship" A link to the race site is here: http://www.3disciplines.com/Events/Illinios-Triathlon-Championship/

Couple observations...

1. Yes, I am doing this race. It's in my town. Can't pass it up. I've actually marked out a few different courses using the same site for the swim, so I am very interested to see what the course details are.

2. The name of the event is misleading and odd. I am not a fan. Coincidentally, the race location is at Three Oaks Recreation Center.... I am sure somebody could come up with something more clever. Hell, THREE is in the site name.

3. The bike course if 4 laps. Ugh. Sounds like it is temporary, but with a sprint doing 2 and Oly doing 4 it should be interesting.

Overall, I am not down on the event. I am very excited for it. It is the weekend following the Lake in the Hills Sprint tri (which is the hosted by the neighboring town) so it should be a nice couple weeks of racing.

Any feedback/info/thoughts about this race from anyone out there? Any additional info?

2013-12-08 8:15 AM
in reply to: Parkie

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: RE: New Race - Crystal Lake
Woo hoo! Been waiting for a really local oly. I am not surprised at all they decided to leverage 3 Oaks for this. I too am wondering about the bike course. The only logical route would be to the south and then either continue on Pyott down into Algonquin or use on of Rakow's lanes and circle us around the lake.
I wondered if they were ever going to use Crystal Lake as a tri venue but that bike would have to loop too following the Dole Dual course, which uses parts of the LITH course.
Signing up today. I usually do Big Foot or Pleasant Prairie that weekend and this will save me a drive. I will be doing LITH too for the 5th year in a row (great tri, highly recommend).
2013-12-08 9:17 AM
in reply to: cartman1966

User image

New user
I'm doing both LITH and Crystal Lake as well. I also heard rumblings that LITH is going to partner with Wauconda and offer special pricing if you sign up for both races. That way you could do the LITH sprint in June and the Wauconda Sprint or Olympic in July. Something to consider.
2013-12-09 6:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

I have done one 3D event and I enjoyed it.  I have a hard time signing up for this one due to 4 laps on a bike course though.  I dunno.  We will see.  I really need to start planning my next race season.  As of right now I am only signed up for one race...maybe me and my morning coffee will get to work on a schedule.  Hehe

2013-12-09 7:29 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
I too am wondering about the 4 loop course. Plus the sprint does 2 loops. Might get real crowded. The reason I signed up is it's 5 miles from my house.

I enjoyed Big Foot and Pleasant Prairie, but I'll save on the drive, plus packet pick-up was always a hassle since neither of those races had race day pick-up.

As for next season, I was going to step back a bit and race through June and try to have a summer for a change to recharge.
2013-12-09 10:23 AM

Master
Northern IL

Interesting to see them try this. Really wondering where they'll go for the bike this year and in later ones after the construction is done. Doesn't fit the schedule this time and probably wouldn't anyway with all those loops. For me it would be frustrating, dangerous, but probably both.

2014-01-04 6:16 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

I'm 99% sure I won't do this one at least this year.  Four loops just sounds nuts to me the more I think of it for a first year race.  I know they stated that starting next year they hope to have a different bike course ready to go.  I've thought of sending them an email to see if they wanted to get ahold of some of the Mayor's around my area about doing a tri here.  I talked to a Mayor of the town next to mine after a 10k we had and he was really interested in trying to get a triathlon going in our area.  I know 3D is always looking for new venues to put on races.  The more in Illinois the better I say at least!

2014-01-06 2:41 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

Interesting to see them try this. Really wondering where they'll go for the bike this year and in later ones after the construction is done. Doesn't fit the schedule this time and probably wouldn't anyway with all those loops. For me it would be frustrating, dangerous, but probably both.

Totally agree. I've done the Naper sprint tri a couple of times and that's a two loop course. It got congested in a couple of areas and if you're really a speedster (which I am NOT), I can't imagine a four loop course with sprint distance participants on the same course as well. This does not sound pretty.
2014-01-09 8:45 AM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Meh, I am a glutton for punishment. The race is 5 miles from my house so I'll give it a try. The area could use an oly distance race, but to do it on the same weekend as Big Foot and Pleasant Prairie is puzzling. They shoudl have gone for July/August.

I am not a speedster and can envision this being somewhat of a Charlie Foxtrot. There are a lot of fast people around here and it's going to get crazy with a lot of yelling. Hopefully there are no bad crashes.
2014-02-17 10:21 AM

User image

New user

Northern/Southern Illinois
Yeah... I just saw this 3 days ago and immediately registered! I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and am not scheduled to return until late May or early June. Couldn't resist the hometown race though... even knowing that I will not have had a chance to swim for almost a year due to this deployment. Already started biking and running (both indoors). Should be exciting to see how many people show up. Hoping to race my second HIM this Fall. Not sure where yet.
2014-06-02 2:25 PM
in reply to: campe18

User image

New user
Just noticed they posted the bike course map.

I knew four laps was going to be brutal, but looking at the course on paper made it worse. I can definitely see problems on 14. I cannot see them closing both EB lanes, so that only allows one lane for both in and out traffic, coupled with 4 laps for Oly and 2 for sprint... I am not sure how well this will work.

Still no run course posted. Odd given that the race is less than a month away.

2014-06-03 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Parkie, I too checked the web site last night to see if the run course was posted. The only logical run course would be out of 3 Oaks on the path and then cross Main street. You could go north to downtown CL on the path without crossing another street until you return. Not sure if that gets you 3 miles.

You could also head south on the path, but you would need to cross Main Street again at Pyott/Virginia. Not sure they can close off Main Street, especially with all the other road closures for the bike.

Beginning to wonder about this race. The cap is at 1000; how close will they get? I'd like to see it succeed, I also think they should move it to another weekend to avoid Big Foot and PP. Those venues are firmly entrenched and not moving.
2014-06-03 10:52 AM

User image

New user
Cartman - I agree with you on the run course. The underpass on 14 helps, so I would guess we go North. I emailed yesterday for a run course map and have yet to hear anything back. Not great to not have that posted yet - especially for a first year race.

I also don't know why they are using 3 Oaks as opposed to Crystal Lake. Yes, I get 3 Oaks is new, but if you use Crystal Lake, it is a short distance to get north of town and into open and un-congested roads. I have mapped out several potential courses, both bike and run, and find it a much better venue. Just my 2 cents.
2014-06-09 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am in for the Sprint. wonder how many people signed up
2014-06-10 9:38 AM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Master
Chicago

I am in for the Sprint as well...

Getting excited as I'm throwing my hat back in the ring after a couple year hiatus to run Marathon/take a year off.

2014-06-12 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
run course is up lots of turns

2014-06-13 7:36 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

Wow. That is a terrible map.
2014-06-13 7:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Parkie

Hopefully that is not a bad omen of how this race will be organized/managed.........argh.
2014-06-13 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
any clue when or where packet pickup is?
2014-06-13 9:30 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by FurnaceM3

Hopefully that is not a bad omen of how this race will be organized/managed.........argh.

Agreed. However, I am trying to stay optimistic, but this, coupled with the 4 lap bike course, makes me cautious.

Fortunately, I have the Lake in the Hills race this weekend - which is always run great - as a lead up to it.
2014-06-13 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by FurnaceM3

Agreed. However, I am trying to stay optimistic, but this, coupled with the 4 lap bike course, makes me cautious.

Fortunately, I have the Lake in the Hills race this weekend - which is always run great - as a lead up to it.

GL at LITH.....I'll see ya there. (I'll be in the Stand Up to Cancer bib)

2014-06-16 11:26 AM

User image

New user

any clue when or where packet pickup is?

No idea. Web site is not clear. Have you found out anything yet?
2014-06-16 2:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
best I can guess its race day or at least I hope it is as that is the only time i can get it. looking forward to this race as its my only race for a few weeks
2014-06-16 3:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Chicago

Since the race website is clear as MUD, I actually emailed the race director and asked and she told me it's Saturday, the day before, at the site between 12-3. **I AM DOUBLE CHECKING THIS AGAIN WITH WEBSITE**

Hope everyone has a good race!!!

Edited by miami9296 2014-06-16 4:01 PM
2014-06-17 7:55 AM
in reply to: miami9296

User image

Veteran
I did get an email notification last night of more race specifics......but still no packet pickup information! Jeez.

And for those who want to leave earlier than the awards ceremony be sure you read the fine print in the email since it says to park further away from the primary area of the event.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Race - Crystal Lake Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Crystal Lake Half Mary

Started by trithat
Views: 1397 Posts: 23

2007-09-04 8:02 PM trithat

Crystal Lake OWS and LOTH Tri ...

Started by mr2tony
Views: 1094 Posts: 10

2007-07-06 2:41 PM hangloose

Crystal Lake OWS in July Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by hangloose
Views: 5120 Posts: 108

2007-07-17 12:09 PM mannyclow

Crystal Lake Half Marathon

Started by hangloose
Views: 1406 Posts: 17

2006-09-10 7:02 PM StartingToTri

Crystal Lake People

Started by Rowdy
Views: 1002 Posts: 2

2006-06-14 9:27 AM hangloose
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.