Other Resources The Political Joe » Yet ANOTHER school shooting...and another thread about gun control. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-12-13 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: Yet ANOTHER school shooting...and another thread about gun control.

Denver suburb is, again, the location of another mass shooting. 

Gunman is reportedly dead by self-inflicted gunshot, another student in critical condition and third student injured with unknown injuries.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/13/21893157-gunman-kills-self-at-colorado-high-school-two-other-students-injured?lite

How many times does this have to happen before meaningful, effective (i.e. non-political) measures are put into place to protect our children.

2013-12-13 4:12 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Yet ANOTHER school shooting...and another thread about gun control.

Originally posted by jeffnboise

Gunman is reportedly dead by self-inflicted gunshot, another student in critical condition and third student injured with unknown injuries.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/13/21893157-gunman-kills-self-at-colorado-high-school-two-other-students-injured?lite

How many times does this have to happen before meaningful, effective (i.e. non-political) measures are put into place to protect our children.

Like what?

2013-12-13 4:30 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Yet ANOTHER school shooting...and another thread about gun control.

What do you suggest that would do anything of the sort?

2013-12-13 4:42 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by DanielG

What do you suggest that would do anything of the sort?

Stop sending kids to school in Colorado, duh.

2013-12-13 5:20 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Guess those gun laws Colorado passed worked real good.

I have 3 hours on the over under before CNN reports another AR15 shotgun. 

2013-12-13 5:47 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Guess those gun laws Colorado passed worked real good.

I have 3 hours on the over under before CNN reports another AR15 shotgun. 

Ok, since only the bad guy is dead I'll say it.............HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! 

2013-12-13 8:37 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Perhaps we should put in place media control. It's obviously teaching these disturbed children that they will forever be famous if they go shoot people.
2013-12-14 12:03 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite

Originally posted by tuwood

Perhaps we should put in place media control. It's obviously teaching these disturbed children that they will forever be famous if they go shoot people.

But, but.... freedom of press is a Constitutionally protected right.

2013-12-14 1:14 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro

''The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers  reporters"........

2013-12-14 9:08 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

YES THIS.  at least is a part of it.

2013-12-14 6:59 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by mehaner

I once had a hamburger for lunch and on the way home I was in a car accident. Clearly hamburgers cause car accidents!

2013-12-14 7:26 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Stuartap

I once had a hamburger for lunch and on the way home I was in a car accident. Clearly hamburgers cause car accidents!

I heard on the news it was a ham sandwich.

2013-12-14 10:05 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Sorry Left brain but that news report is completely wrong. This is a kosher rule, no pork!
2013-12-14 10:28 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Stuartap Sorry Left brain but that news report is completely wrong. This is a kosher rule, no pork!

I should have known.

2013-12-15 1:20 PM
in reply to: 0

While a gun can do a lot of damage, quickly...when I read stories like this, I don't think the problem is strictly a gun issue. It's about troubled kids clearly showing signs of being disturbed, and yet...no one seems to do anything about it. Often, in cases like this, after the fact... friends/family/witnesses will say that the shooter in these cases, 'was disturbed,' and had been a loner, a problem, had issues, seemed very depressed, etc etc...

So, why doesn't anyone try to help the person, or figure out how to best help the person? Teachers and faculty have their plates full, I know, but kids should be able to attend schools without fear of violence. And all too often, the shooter in these cases needed help, everyone saw it, but people turned a blind eye. Whether they felt it was 'none of their business' etc...who knows. But, it soon becomes everyone's business when the troubled youth shows up at a school, and starts shooting teachers and students.

When people stop turning a blind eye to disturbed kids ...then, we'll see this type of thing diminishing. Until then, we'll see more of it. Gun control or not.

And I'm over simplifying, but my point is that it's not about arming teachers, and staffing schools with police officers, and installing metal detectors. While that all might help, that is like window dressing. You still need to get to the heart of the matter, and kids are hurting others because they have serious issues, and need help. Until we start helping kids deal with these issues, when we take note of them...nothing will change.

Sadly, it seems to be getting worse. (other examples would be bullying, teen suicides, drug overdoses, etc) Until we start fixing the foundation, all the window dressing and gun control laws won't really do much. If a kid is suffering from depression, anxiety, etc...he/she will find a way to hurt people, and will find a way to get a gun to do so. I'm not a gun advocate, by the way...I don't own a gun and I believe in stricter gun control laws. But, my opinion--these types of situations have less to do with gun control, and more to do with helping our youth who are in need, before it is too late.

Edited by SGirl 2013-12-15 1:26 PM
2013-12-15 1:40 PM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by SGirl While a gun can do a lot of damage, quickly...when I read stories like this, I don't think the problem is strictly a gun issue. It's about troubled kids clearly showing signs of being disturbed, and yet...no one seems to do anything about it. Often, in cases like this, after the fact... friends/family/witnesses will say that the shooter in these cases, 'was disturbed,' and had been a loner, a problem, had issues, seemed very depressed, etc etc... So, why doesn't anyone try to help the person, or figure out how to best help the person? Teachers and faculty have their plates full, I know, but kids should be able to attend schools without fear of violence. And all too often, the shooter in these cases needed help, everyone saw it, but people turned a blind eye. Whether they felt it was 'none of their business' etc...who knows. But, it soon becomes everyone's business when the troubled youth shows up at a school, and starts shooting teachers and students. When people stop turning a blind eye to disturbed kids ...then, we'll see this type of thing diminishing. Until then, we'll see more of it. Gun control or not. And I'm over simplifying, but my point is that it's not about arming teachers, and staffing schools with police officers, and installing metal detectors. While that all might help, that is like window dressing. You still need to get to the heart of the matter, and kids are hurting others because they have serious issues, and need help. Until we start helping kids deal with these issues, when we take note of them...nothing will change. Sadly, it seems to be getting worse. (other examples would be bullying, teen suicides, drug overdoses, etc) Until we start fixing the foundation, all the window dressing and gun control laws won't really do much. If a kid is suffering from depression, anxiety, etc...he/she will find a way to hurt people, and will find a way to get a gun to do so. I'm not a gun advocate, by the way...I don't own a gun and I believe in stricter gun control laws. But, my opinion--these types of situations have less to do with gun control, and more to do with helping our youth who are in need, before it is too late.

There was a lot of buzz about more restrictive fireworks laws after the Boston Marathon.

It ain't the weapon.  It is the mind of the malcontent.

2013-12-15 1:55 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

Yes, exactly. Agreed.

Not an easy or quick fix by any means, but if as a community ...people start reporting 'odd' behaviors at the first signs of them with respect to troubled youth behaviors, then we might see a change. It's not a guarantee, but it's a start in the right direction. It's important to educate students for example, when it comes to facebook, as that is where a lot of troubled kids 'air' their problems. So, students should be mindful to report behaviors they deem as out of the norm, and adults can then take it from there. I know this takes courage, and might seem intrusive at first, but quite a few of these shooting stories have as a common theme...a troubled youth, who many around him thought was troubled, 'different,' 'strange,' depressed, a loner...etc....etc...but, no one took it further than that. Healthy minded, well adjusted teenagers don't shoot people and then commit suicide. Something far deeper was going on here, and the incident at the school, was what pushed him over the edge. Increasing gun control or not...this incident most likely would still have happened...and will likely happen again and again, until we start getting to the heart of what ails these kids. Just my $.02
2013-12-15 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

So sorry to inform you that it was not a mass shooting.  The person was going after a specific individual (A teacher).  He is 18 and used a shotgun (not a hand gun or automatic weapon).  This is sad that people will jump to conclusion and make a huge deal about it.  When in fact it really deserves no more attention than the 3 people stabbed at the Bronco game the night before.

Gonna stop here because I don't want to get myself kicked off this site, but please keep in mind that my daughter goes to school less than 1.5 miles from Arapahoe HS.  My wife tutors many kids from there, and we know several kids that know the shooter.  So yes we do know a lot about what is going on.

2013-12-15 7:52 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SGirl Yes, exactly. Agreed. Not an easy or quick fix by any means, but if as a community ...people start reporting 'odd' behaviors at the first signs of them with respect to troubled youth behaviors, then we might see a change. It's not a guarantee, but it's a start in the right direction. It's important to educate students for example, when it comes to facebook, as that is where a lot of troubled kids 'air' their problems. So, students should be mindful to report behaviors they deem as out of the norm, and adults can then take it from there. I know this takes courage, and might seem intrusive at first, but quite a few of these shooting stories have as a common theme...a troubled youth, who many around him thought was troubled, 'different,' 'strange,' depressed, a loner...etc....etc...but, no one took it further than that. Healthy minded, well adjusted teenagers don't shoot people and then commit suicide. Something far deeper was going on here, and the incident at the school, was what pushed him over the edge. Increasing gun control or not...this incident most likely would still have happened...and will likely happen again and again, until we start getting to the heart of what ails these kids. Just my $.02

I agree with your premise......but it's hard to apply, and even if we can identify these kids/people, there is no teeth to any way to keep them in a situation where they are evaluated and receive help.  Do you have an idea how that should work?  I'm not being facetious.....I'm serious....we really do need some ideas on how to do this.  Current laws and regulations prevent any real and meaningful help. IMO you are correct, it's all about mental health......now what?

2013-12-15 9:14 PM

It definitely would take a lot to get different programs off the ground, so to speak, in order to help kids in need, before they allow their problems to hurt others. I will say that it doesn't only fall in the laps of law makers and our educational system. It actually is everyone's problem, keeping one another safe...whether at work or at school. These types of situations don't only happen in schools, they happen in work places...say, after someone is fired. He/she goes on a shooting rampage, and witnesses who are questioned come forth after the fact, admitting that they knew the person was 'deeply troubled.' It's too late to say something, after a shooting spree occurs.

One idea could be that anonymous 'tip' lines could be set up in schools, whereby students themselves could come forth and report any odd and potentially violent behavior, that they've noticed in fellow students. Assemblies where students could attend and become educated as to how they can contribute to the safety of their own schools, could be an important step, too.

If someone is behaving inappropriately where I work for example, there is a 'path' that I can take in order to report the behavior, without threat or fear of losing my own job. The incident can be investigated, and actions taken to reprimand the offending party. This is something that could be put in place for students so they feel safe to report behaviors that they deem as potentially dangerous, or ominous.

Teachers and faculty who take note of odd behaviors...a sudden drop in grades/performance...the student is absent a lot...the student is withdrawn, or never seems social, etc....such behaviors should be taken seriously, and not just a call to the parent. The parent may very well be the problem, with some kids, so contacting them might be an effort in futility. Kids who are abused are usually withdrawn, and don't like to speak of their abuse, in fear of being abused more so at home. There needs to be an outlet for these students to be able to come forth, share their experiences, without fear of their parents finding out. (Note, I'm not saying that teachers are not doing their best currently, to take note of students who are troubled. Teachers have a tremendous work load in most cases, and most I'd like to believe, are actively seeking to help those kids who seem to be outcasts, or troubled.)

Every month, required...should be a session with the school guidance counselor, to talk with students about how they are handing stress...do they need help with anything...can the school be of assistance to them...how is their home life, etc... Now, you still may have the students who fall through the cracks, but I think that if we started putting in place a 'system' or a 'path' towards helping kids who are suffering from abuse, depression, and anxiety of some sort...we may see violent situations like this, start to decline. This goes also for kids who are bullying others, and or are being bullied...and also those kids who have drug and alcohol abuse issues.

Where there's a will, there's a way. And while my ideas won't change things over night if they were employed...they can at least be a step in a forward direction. It isn't anyone's fault that incidents such as these happen, but awareness and educating people can definitely make a big difference.

Edited by SGirl 2013-12-15 9:19 PM
2013-12-15 9:43 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SGirl It definitely would take a lot to get different programs off the ground, so to speak, in order to help kids in need, before they allow their problems to hurt others. I will say that it doesn't only fall in the laps of law makers and our educational system. It actually is everyone's problem, keeping one another safe...whether at work or at school. These types of situations don't only happen in schools, they happen in work places...say, after someone is fired. He/she goes on a shooting rampage, and witnesses who are questioned come forth after the fact, admitting that they knew the person was 'deeply troubled.' It's too late to say something, after a shooting spree occurs. One idea could be that anonymous 'tip' lines could be set up in schools, whereby students themselves could come forth and report any odd and potentially violent behavior, that they've noticed in fellow students. Assemblies where students could attend and become educated as to how they can contribute to the safety of their own schools, could be an important step, too. If someone is behaving inappropriately where I work for example, there is a 'path' that I can take in order to report the behavior, without threat or fear of losing my own job. The incident can be investigated, and actions taken to reprimand the offending party. This is something that could be put in place for students so they feel safe to report behaviors that they deem as potentially dangerous, or ominous. Teachers and faculty who take note of odd behaviors...a sudden drop in grades/performance...the student is absent a lot...the student is withdrawn, or never seems social, etc....such behaviors should be taken seriously, and not just a call to the parent. The parent may very well be the problem, with some kids, so contacting them might be an effort in futility. Kids who are abused are usually withdrawn, and don't like to speak of their abuse, in fear of being abused more so at home. There needs to be an outlet for these students to be able to come forth, share their experiences, without fear of their parents finding out. (Note, I'm not saying that teachers are not doing their best currently, to take note of students who are troubled. Teachers have a tremendous work load in most cases, and most I'd like to believe, are actively seeking to help those kids who seem to be outcasts, or troubled.) Every month, required...should be a session with the school guidance counselor, to talk with students about how they are handing stress...do they need help with anything...can the school be of assistance to them...how is their home life, etc... Now, you still may have the students who fall through the cracks, but I think that if we started putting in place a 'system' or a 'path' towards helping kids who are suffering from abuse, depression, and anxiety of some sort...we may see violent situations like this, start to decline. This goes also for kids who are bullying others, and or are being bullied...and also those kids who have drug and alcohol abuse issues. Where there's a will, there's a way. And while my ideas won't change things over night if they were employed...they can at least be a step in a forward direction. It isn't anyone's fault that incidents such as these happen, but awareness and educating people can definitely make a big difference.

This is actually really hard stuff.  You are correct in saying that after the fact people say, "yeah, he had problems and I knew he could be capable of this" or something along those lines.  The reality is that it's really hard to predict.....and forcing someone to get help, or putting them in a situation that they don't want to be in, based on a hunch, or a feeling, is REALLY hard, and maybe not legal under current laws.

The truth is, we have a REALLY hard time predicting who will go on a shooting rampage.....in fact, so far we really can't do it.  Oh......we can get treatment for alot of peple we think may twist off......but irrational acts are just that.

Here's a story from my personal archives.  A young boy was kidnapped from his yard and went missing for close to 7 years.  He was eventually found, alive, although he had been the victim of someof the most heinous sexual/metal abuse you coulg imagine....a true horror story.  Do you know who had him?  The manager of a restuarant where dozens of cops ate every day.  We always thoought he was odd......but really,. how can you say, "you know, I bet that guy is a freak with a kid tied up in his basement".  You can't.  Yeah, in the end, we all said, "well, that's not surprising considering what a weirdo he is.".....but like I said, that's easy to do in hindsight.  So.........I don't put much credence in the folks who say, "I knew it" when someone goes nuts.....that's easty to do, and doesn't hold much water with me.

Still.......your thoughts absolutely have merit in my opinion.....this is a mental health issue.  I'm just not sure how to address it in a meaningful way.

2013-12-15 10:04 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by SGirl It definitely would take a lot to get different programs off the ground, so to speak, in order to help kids in need, before they allow their problems to hurt others. I will say that it doesn't only fall in the laps of law makers and our educational system. It actually is everyone's problem, keeping one another safe...whether at work or at school. These types of situations don't only happen in schools, they happen in work places...say, after someone is fired. He/she goes on a shooting rampage, and witnesses who are questioned come forth after the fact, admitting that they knew the person was 'deeply troubled.' It's too late to say something, after a shooting spree occurs. One idea could be that anonymous 'tip' lines could be set up in schools, whereby students themselves could come forth and report any odd and potentially violent behavior, that they've noticed in fellow students. Assemblies where students could attend and become educated as to how they can contribute to the safety of their own schools, could be an important step, too. If someone is behaving inappropriately where I work for example, there is a 'path' that I can take in order to report the behavior, without threat or fear of losing my own job. The incident can be investigated, and actions taken to reprimand the offending party. This is something that could be put in place for students so they feel safe to report behaviors that they deem as potentially dangerous, or ominous. Teachers and faculty who take note of odd behaviors...a sudden drop in grades/performance...the student is absent a lot...the student is withdrawn, or never seems social, etc....such behaviors should be taken seriously, and not just a call to the parent. The parent may very well be the problem, with some kids, so contacting them might be an effort in futility. Kids who are abused are usually withdrawn, and don't like to speak of their abuse, in fear of being abused more so at home. There needs to be an outlet for these students to be able to come forth, share their experiences, without fear of their parents finding out. (Note, I'm not saying that teachers are not doing their best currently, to take note of students who are troubled. Teachers have a tremendous work load in most cases, and most I'd like to believe, are actively seeking to help those kids who seem to be outcasts, or troubled.) Every month, required...should be a session with the school guidance counselor, to talk with students about how they are handing stress...do they need help with anything...can the school be of assistance to them...how is their home life, etc... Now, you still may have the students who fall through the cracks, but I think that if we started putting in place a 'system' or a 'path' towards helping kids who are suffering from abuse, depression, and anxiety of some sort...we may see violent situations like this, start to decline. This goes also for kids who are bullying others, and or are being bullied...and also those kids who have drug and alcohol abuse issues. Where there's a will, there's a way. And while my ideas won't change things over night if they were employed...they can at least be a step in a forward direction. It isn't anyone's fault that incidents such as these happen, but awareness and educating people can definitely make a big difference.

This is actually really hard stuff.  You are correct in saying that after the fact people say, "yeah, he had problems and I knew he could be capable of this" or something along those lines.  The reality is that it's really hard to predict.....and forcing someone to get help, or putting them in a situation that they don't want to be in, based on a hunch, or a feeling, is REALLY hard, and maybe not legal under current laws.

The truth is, we have a REALLY hard time predicting who will go on a shooting rampage.....in fact, so far we really can't do it.  Oh......we can get treatment for alot of peple we think may twist off......but irrational acts are just that.

Here's a story from my personal archives.  A young boy was kidnapped from his yard and went missing for close to 7 years.  He was eventually found, alive, although he had been the victim of someof the most heinous sexual/metal abuse you coulg imagine....a true horror story.  Do you know who had him?  The manager of a restuarant where dozens of cops ate every day.  We always thoought he was odd......but really,. how can you say, "you know, I bet that guy is a freak with a kid tied up in his basement".  You can't.  Yeah, in the end, we all said, "well, that's not surprising considering what a weirdo he is.".....but like I said, that's easy to do in hindsight.  So.........I don't put much credence in the folks who say, "I knew it" when someone goes nuts.....that's easty to do, and doesn't hold much water with me.

Still.......your thoughts absolutely have merit in my opinion.....this is a mental health issue.  I'm just not sure how to address it in a meaningful way.

Great points, yes, true. It definitely isn't an easy nor quick fix. There are no fixes really, it's an ongoing battle if you will...to keep schools, neighborhoods, and workplaces safe from those who 'snap.' I'm reminded of a guy in PA, who went on a shooting spree in an LA Fitness I think? He shot a few women, then killed himself. ''After the fact,'' people who knew him/worked with him...all said how odd he was, never had a girlfriend, or wife, etc...seemed like a loner. But, that of course isn't enough to suspect someone of going balistic and shooting up a gym. So, yeah. It's hard, indeed. But, I think it is something that over time, could be trickled into the school system...

Slow and steady wins the race, so to speak.
2013-12-15 10:10 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SGirl
Originally posted by Left Brain

Great points, yes, true. It definitely isn't an easy nor quick fix. There are no fixes really, it's an ongoing battle if you will...to keep schools, neighborhoods, and workplaces safe from those who 'snap.' I'm reminded of a guy in PA, who went on a shooting spree in an LA Fitness I think? He shot a few women, then killed himself. ''After the fact,'' people who knew him/worked with him...all said how odd he was, never had a girlfriend, or wife, etc...seemed like a loner. But, that of course isn't enough to suspect someone of going balistic and shooting up a gym. So, yeah. It's hard, indeed. But, I think it is something that over time, could be trickled into the school system... Slow and steady wins the race, so to speak.

One of the biggest obstacles is the fact that we virtually don't have any of these folks to interview in order to come up with some commonalities between them, and then some type of basic profile to work from........ a template, if you will, that we can use to place over some people and see if they fit.  Unfortunately, nearly all of these people either kill themselves or are killed by the police.  We really need a representative sample to interview and pick their brains......but due to the nature of this crime, I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-15 10:11 PM
2013-12-16 8:03 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by SGirl Yes, exactly. Agreed. Not an easy or quick fix by any means, but if as a community ...people start reporting 'odd' behaviors at the first signs of them with respect to troubled youth behaviors, then we might see a change. It's not a guarantee, but it's a start in the right direction. It's important to educate students for example, when it comes to facebook, as that is where a lot of troubled kids 'air' their problems. So, students should be mindful to report behaviors they deem as out of the norm, and adults can then take it from there. I know this takes courage, and might seem intrusive at first, but quite a few of these shooting stories have as a common theme...a troubled youth, who many around him thought was troubled, 'different,' 'strange,' depressed, a loner...etc....etc...but, no one took it further than that. Healthy minded, well adjusted teenagers don't shoot people and then commit suicide. Something far deeper was going on here, and the incident at the school, was what pushed him over the edge. Increasing gun control or not...this incident most likely would still have happened...and will likely happen again and again, until we start getting to the heart of what ails these kids. Just my $.02

dealing with depression is hard enough for a teenager to deal with, now let's add being labeled a potential psychopath.  i dunno, there are lots of weird lonely kids out there that wouldn't hurt a soul.  i agree that mental illness is the root cause, but you can't just lock up every person you think is odd.  and giving teenagers the right to report that?  a whole new weapon in a bullying arsenal.

2013-12-16 8:14 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

dealing with depression is hard enough for a teenager to deal with, now let's add being labeled a potential psychopath.  i dunno, there are lots of weird lonely kids out there that wouldn't hurt a soul.  i agree that mental illness is the root cause, but you can't just lock up every person you think is odd.  and giving teenagers the right to report that?  a whole new weapon in a bullying arsenal.

agree

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Yet ANOTHER school shooting...and another thread about gun control. Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Gun control - The Answer? Pages: 1 2

Started by pga_mike
Views: 2392 Posts: 27

2013-09-30 10:53 AM chirunner134

I think we need better gun control...

Started by tuwood
Views: 2054 Posts: 19

2013-09-27 6:08 AM DanielG

block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns

Started by idahocraig
Views: 1636 Posts: 15

2013-07-12 1:36 PM tuwood

CA "Gun Control" Bill basically bans all firearms

Started by bcart1991
Views: 2151 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 10:30 PM SevenZulu

'The' Gun Thread Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48

Started by Ron
Views: 41066 Posts: 1177

2013-06-21 10:20 AM powerman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?

date : October 4, 2006
author : TriSports.com
Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.
date : March 5, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
I commonly hear marathoners, triathletes and other highly competitive endurance athletes complain “For all the exercise I do, I should be pencil thin.”

date : February 28, 2005
author : bostic
One of the most important pals a triathlete can have is the gel pack.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.