Other Resources The Political Joe » School me on religious arguments please... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-23 5:51 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: School me on religious arguments please...

Originally posted by chirunner134 I can understand some Christians being against evolution because somehow that destories there faith but I really never understood what they are against the big bang.

I'll chime in as somebody who has some issues with evolution and it has nothing to do with my faith.  It is the prevailing theory in the scientific community and there is a lot of evidence to support certain aspects of evolution, but as a general skeptic when it comes to science I'm still not completely convinced.

I'm not equipped to argue all the pieces of it, but I know there is a general consensus on micro-evolution but when it comes to macro-evolution there are some valid questions being asked.  I am modestly intrigued by the scientific debate about evolution, but mostly out of curiosity.  If we evolved from a pile of gu or were created in seven literal days doesn't effect my daily life one bit.  I also think there's plenty of room in Christianity (or other religions) for either origin.

Even with the Big Bang, who or what set that in motion?  I guess you can keep going back further and further and say that somebody or something got it started, or it was random chance.  There's really no way to "prove" it one way or another.  We as humans just have this curiosity to try and understand it all, which is the fun part.  

2013-12-23 6:04 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by tuwood

>

Even with the Big Bang, who or what set that in motion?  I guess you can keep going back further and further and say that somebody or something got it started, or it was random chance.  There's really no way to "prove" it one way or another.  We as humans just have this curiosity to try and understand it all, which is the fun part.  

I agree. They said it best on South Park. Big Bang explains the how and not the why. Like I said before I been basically I can either believe in God or the Big Bang and not both. I never understood why. Even Evolution can be apart of God's plan. Who knows maybe people are the exception to it all . you never know. Beauty of God he can do anything or nothing. God's choice.

2013-12-23 9:11 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by chirunner134
Originally posted by tuwood >

I agree. They said it best on South Park. Big Bang explains the how and not the why. Like I said before I been basically I can either believe in God or the Big Bang and not both. I never understood why. Even Evolution can be apart of God's plan. Who knows maybe people are the exception to it all . you never know. Beauty of God he can do anything or nothing. God's choice.

But who started God?

2013-12-23 9:16 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by pga_mike

But who started God?

God's God or super God.
2013-12-23 11:35 PM

User image

Elite

Why in the world not? You can believe anything you want. Maybe God started the big bang... just because we were too simple to write it down in a book 2000 years ago does not mean it is not so.

I simply can't understand where God vs. science even started. Even if God made everything... then he most certainly made chemistry and particle physics. The natural laws that bind this world were made by him. The Universe itself was. So how is it that God made all, but not science? And how is it exactly that the Boson Higgs particle proves there is no God? I just don't get it.

Now obviously Science and the Bible have a big problem. But regardless how inspired some think it's making was... it is indeed a fact the Bible was written by men... so that one is pretty easy to get around... that is if you really want to. If you just want to toss it aside and call it a Fairy Tale and therefore God can not exist... well, what ever floats your boat I suppose. But there is nothing that says God and the Big Bang are exclusive.

2013-12-24 9:31 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by powerman

Why in the world not? You can believe anything you want. Maybe God started the big bang... just because we were too simple to write it down in a book 2000 years ago does not mean it is not so.

I simply can't understand where God vs. science even started. Even if God made everything... then he most certainly made chemistry and particle physics. The natural laws that bind this world were made by him. The Universe itself was. So how is it that God made all, but not science? And how is it exactly that the Boson Higgs particle proves there is no God? I just don't get it.

Now obviously Science and the Bible have a big problem. But regardless how inspired some think it's making was... it is indeed a fact the Bible was written by men... so that one is pretty easy to get around... that is if you really want to. If you just want to toss it aside and call it a Fairy Tale and therefore God can not exist... well, what ever floats your boat I suppose. But there is nothing that says God and the Big Bang are exclusive.

I think the breakdown comes when people try to use science to prove that God is real.  Scientifically speaking that's a bit of a challenge, so people have a hard time with it.

One thing on the Bible, 
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" —2nd Timothy 3:16

Yes, it's written by man but Christians believe that it was inspired by God.

2013-12-24 9:42 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

I hear yeah. I think it because science in many ways tells us we are not special. Earth is not the center of the universe. It revolves around the sun and not the other way around. We are in a spiral arm of the galaxy. not even at its center. galaxy. Where the bible likes to tell us in all the universe we are most special beings ever. Even the Angels are jealous of how much he loves us.

I think many Christians are against it because it challenges there faith. I am completely the opposite. I think you should challenge your faith constantly. I know since I read the bible after being away from being told what things mean I see many passages differently than I used too.
2013-12-24 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I hear yeah. I think it because science in many ways tells us we are not special. Earth is not the center of the universe. It revolves around the sun and not the other way around. We are in a spiral arm of the galaxy. not even at its center. galaxy. Where the bible likes to tell us in all the universe we are most special beings ever. Even the Angels are jealous of how much he loves us. I think many Christians are against it because it challenges there faith. I am completely the opposite. I think you should challenge your faith constantly. I know since I read the bible after being away from being told what things mean I see many passages differently than I used too.

Amen to that.  

2013-12-24 10:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I hear yeah. I think it because science in many ways tells us we are not special. Earth is not the center of the universe. It revolves around the sun and not the other way around. We are in a spiral arm of the galaxy. not even at its center. galaxy. Where the bible likes to tell us in all the universe we are most special beings ever. Even the Angels are jealous of how much he loves us.

I think many Christians are against it because it challenges there faith. I am completely the opposite. I think you should challenge your faith constantly. I know since I read the bible after being away from being told what things mean I see many passages differently than I used too.

Is there a finite boarder to the universe? If there isn't a boarder and the universe is infinite then isn't the Earth the center, the edge, and every point in between at the same time?

Edited by Jackemy1 2013-12-24 10:06 AM
2013-12-24 10:06 AM

User image

Pro

I hear yeah. I think it because science in many ways tells us we are not special. Earth is not the center of the universe. It revolves around the sun and not the other way around. We are in a spiral arm of the galaxy. not even at its center. galaxy. Where the bible likes to tell us in all the universe we are most special beings ever. Even the Angels are jealous of how much he loves us. I think many Christians are against it because it challenges there faith. I am completely the opposite. I think you should challenge your faith constantly. I know since I read the bible after being away from being told what things mean I see many passages differently than I used too.

I find it very easy to believe in something much greater than myself.  I fall off the page when you (collective you) want me to believe that of all the places in the universe where there must be life, we are most special to that "something".  What did "he" do, screw up in all the other places?  I guess you have to believe, like I do, that it's almost impossible that we are alone when you consider the sheer magnitude of the universe.  But for us (collective mankind) to sit around thinking we can come up with an answer to something that happened over 10 billion years ago tells me that we might not be the most special, but I bet we could make a decent run at most arrogant. 

I'm ok with trying to live my life the best I can......and I figure I'll get some answers when I'm supposed to.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-24 10:07 AM
2013-12-24 11:44 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Jackemy1

Is there a finite boarder to the universe? If there isn't a boarder and the universe is infinite then isn't the Earth the center, the edge, and every point in between at the same time?

I think they believe there is a boundary.  They can tell that it's expanding from the spectral color shift in stars.  Had we a bigger picture of the universe, we could probably determine the center like using the ripples in the ponds to identify where the rock went in...

2013-12-24 11:56 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Exactly Kido. The center of the Universe argument is that earth does not move and is completely fixed. Gaillio got into trouble for saying that Jupiter had moons because those bodies also had to orbit the earth with the center of the universe theory. Everything in space is moving.

All of this makes me wonder if the roovers on mars find a skeleton how many people are going to cry fake? By people I mean what percentage. I suspect it would be at least 20%.

We might been made in the image of God but does not mean God did not create other planets with life. As far as we know there could be people living in there own garden of eden who never fell.
2013-12-24 12:12 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

I think they believe there is a boundary.  They can tell that it's expanding from the spectral color shift in stars.  Had we a bigger picture of the universe, we could probably determine the center like using the ripples in the ponds to identify where the rock went in...

What if there are other universes in other dimensions....."stacked" on each other for lack of a better term. 

2013-12-24 12:49 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Left Brain

What if there are other universes in other dimensions....."stacked" on each other for lack of a better term. 

What if the Universe is just Gods wall paper for us to look at because we are in a snow globe on a key chain?

2013-12-24 1:06 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

What if the Universe is just Gods wall paper for us to look at because we are in a snow globe on a key chain?

I believe this has already been settled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1YxBKXjULE

2013-12-25 1:29 AM

User image

Elite

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS!

2013-12-25 12:50 PM

Master
, California

I think the breakdown comes when people try to use science to prove that God is real.  Scientifically speaking that's a bit of a challenge, so people have a hard time with it.

Douglas Adams should be required reading in school.

2014-01-16 11:55 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
2014-01-17 7:38 AM
in reply to: spudone

New user
Originally posted by spudone

Douglas Adams should be required reading in school.

"A God who let us prove his existence would be an idol." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

2014-01-17 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Dp

Edited by simpsonbo 2014-01-17 11:06 AM
2014-01-17 11:06 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I once had an English teacher admit he was a creationist. This was grade 8 in 1991. The smarter kids in class just exchanged looks of what is best described as #wtf.

2014-01-17 3:14 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by simpsonbo I once had an English teacher admit he was a creationist. This was grade 8 in 1991. The smarter kids in class just exchanged looks of what is best described as #wtf.

What's funny is most people talk of "creationists" as the minority, but the folks who don't believe God had anything to do with it are the real minority.  Not saying whose right, simply public opinion.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155003/hold-creationist-view-human-origins.aspx

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » School me on religious arguments please... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Yet ANOTHER school shooting...and another thread about gun control. Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 5357 Posts: 73

2014-01-02 12:12 PM jmk-brooklyn

Religion in schools again Pages: 1 2

Started by tuwood
Views: 3194 Posts: 26

2013-09-13 10:56 AM tuwood

Prayer in School Pages: 1 2

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 4216 Posts: 39

2013-08-09 12:22 PM tuwood

block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns

Started by idahocraig
Views: 1636 Posts: 15

2013-07-12 1:36 PM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
comments : 0
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : October 4, 2006
author : TriSports.com
comments : 0
Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.