BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-04-26 7:54 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Subject: RE: It's Friday!!!
Originally posted by QueenZipp

No PR, but a good run for me.  Had fun at the 10K

Way to go girl!

2014-04-26 9:03 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: It's Friday!!!
Originally posted by QueenZipp

No PR, but a good run for me.  Had fun at the 10K

No PR, yet faster than 100% of the people who thought about running in the race but didn't!

Steve
2014-04-27 10:32 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: eat on the bike
Want to see how to pros fuel on the bike? Here it is in 30 seconds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OhUJywiSUE

2014-04-27 11:58 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I have a big LBS rant here:  I just had my road bike checked out for a tune up.  Specifically asked them to run the cables cause the housing was cracked.  They only replaced the housing.  How do I know this?  About 10-12 miles into my ride today I lost the ability to shift.  I had someone check it out, he couldn't fix it but tried to put her into a neutral gear so I could at least do the 31 mile route with my friend.  I got about 1/4 mile away from them and knew that it wasn't going to work so I turned back & they drove me to a different rest stop where a mechanic was set up.  The cable was snapped in the shifter head.  Not the first time that has happened to me......It took the mechanic a bit of time with old dental tools to get the remaining piece out of the head of the shifter so he could run the new cable.  I'm glad I had the forethought to throw money in my jersey with my phone so I could pay the man--good dude, I learned a lot in the time he was working on my bike. SOOOO, I might have ridden 20 miles today.  

2014-04-27 2:05 PM

User image

Subject: RE: first sprint race report
Woke up at 5:30 so that we could get to the transition area, get body marked and put our supplies by our bike before it closed at 6:45. Then we had a two hour wait before our wave of the sprint occurred, as the Olympic tri started. Plenty of time for three bathroom (port a potty) breaks. The water temperature was 76°, slightly breezy with a mild wave. My novice group was the last wave of the sprint to start. The water felt good, but cloudy, still I felt strong. Managed to swim with a combination of freestyle, breaststroke, and backstroke bringing my arms out of the water like you do in freestyle. I was actually surprised how quickly I could swim doing the backstroke as I passed people in my wave and in other groups that started before us. There were people hanging on the buoys to catch their breath, but I just kept swimming. According to my watch I got out of the water at 20 minutes but my official time was 22 minutes followed by about a four minute jog to the transition area in order to put on my shoes and get my bike. I ended up riding my fat tire bike and was passed by everyone with the skinny tires. There were not any mile markers during the bike ride, so that was a little frustrating and at one point I asked a fellow biker passing me how far along we had gone. Towards the end of the ride, one of the cyclist passing me told me that she completed her first two triathlons on a bike just like mine. Transition from the bike to the run was quicker. My husband had come along for support and ended up taking some pictures and video and cheering me on which was nice. The run was hard and hot and the first 2 miles I ran with some short walk breaks. I was closely watching my clock because I really wanted to beat that two hour mark, and that helped me keep my Running going to last mile without any walk breaks. A few spectators had water hoses they were spraying the runners with, which definitely helped me get cool and continue to keep going. The last half-mile I ended up passing my 16 year old daughter,who had been ahead of me the first two legs of the race. I ended up finishing in one hour and 59 minutes with my daughter coming in a minute after me. I met my goal, had fun and will probably do it again, maybe later this year.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (436KB - 8 downloads)
2014-04-27 3:36 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Kris67

Woke up at 5:30 so that we could get to the transition area, get body marked and put our supplies by our bike before it closed at 6:45. Then we had a two hour wait before our wave of the sprint occurred, as the Olympic tri started. Plenty of time for three bathroom (port a potty) breaks. The water temperature was 76°, slightly breezy with a mild wave. My novice group was the last wave of the sprint to start. The water felt good, but cloudy, still I felt strong. Managed to swim with a combination of freestyle, breaststroke, and backstroke bringing my arms out of the water like you do in freestyle. I was actually surprised how quickly I could swim doing the backstroke as I passed people in my wave and in other groups that started before us. There were people hanging on the buoys to catch their breath, but I just kept swimming. According to my watch I got out of the water at 20 minutes but my official time was 22 minutes followed by about a four minute jog to the transition area in order to put on my shoes and get my bike. I ended up riding my fat tire bike and was passed by everyone with the skinny tires. There were not any mile markers during the bike ride, so that was a little frustrating and at one point I asked a fellow biker passing me how far along we had gone. Towards the end of the ride, one of the cyclist passing me told me that she completed her first two triathlons on a bike just like mine. Transition from the bike to the run was quicker. My husband had come along for support and ended up taking some pictures and video and cheering me on which was nice. The run was hard and hot and the first 2 miles I ran with some short walk breaks. I was closely watching my clock because I really wanted to beat that two hour mark, and that helped me keep my Running going to last mile without any walk breaks. A few spectators had water hoses they were spraying the runners with, which definitely helped me get cool and continue to keep going. The last half-mile I ended up passing my 16 year old daughter,who had been ahead of me the first two legs of the race. I ended up finishing in one hour and 59 minutes with my daughter coming in a minute after me. I met my goal, had fun and will probably do it again, maybe later this year.

Well done, Kris. Sounds like the race went exactly as you planned. Congratulations! Nice you could do the race with your daughter as well.

Steve

2014-04-27 6:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by Kris67

I met my goal, had fun and will probably do it again, maybe later this year.

Great job Kristen! That is a great picture of you and your daughter. I would put that one up on the mantle.

Congratulations, you are now a TRIATHLETE!!!

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-04-27 6:27 PM
2014-04-27 6:29 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

Want to see how to pros fuel on the bike? Here it is in 30 seconds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OhUJywiSUE

Too funny Steve!
2014-04-28 6:54 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by lutzman Want to see how to pros fuel on the bike? Here it is in 30 seconds... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OhUJywiSUE

That is great!

2014-04-28 6:57 AM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Kris67 Woke up at 5:30 so that we could get to the transition area, get body marked and put our supplies by our bike before it closed at 6:45. Then we had a two hour wait before our wave of the sprint occurred, as the Olympic tri started. Plenty of time for three bathroom (port a potty) breaks. The water temperature was 76°, slightly breezy with a mild wave. My novice group was the last wave of the sprint to start. The water felt good, but cloudy, still I felt strong. Managed to swim with a combination of freestyle, breaststroke, and backstroke bringing my arms out of the water like you do in freestyle. I was actually surprised how quickly I could swim doing the backstroke as I passed people in my wave and in other groups that started before us. There were people hanging on the buoys to catch their breath, but I just kept swimming. According to my watch I got out of the water at 20 minutes but my official time was 22 minutes followed by about a four minute jog to the transition area in order to put on my shoes and get my bike. I ended up riding my fat tire bike and was passed by everyone with the skinny tires. There were not any mile markers during the bike ride, so that was a little frustrating and at one point I asked a fellow biker passing me how far along we had gone. Towards the end of the ride, one of the cyclist passing me told me that she completed her first two triathlons on a bike just like mine. Transition from the bike to the run was quicker. My husband had come along for support and ended up taking some pictures and video and cheering me on which was nice. The run was hard and hot and the first 2 miles I ran with some short walk breaks. I was closely watching my clock because I really wanted to beat that two hour mark, and that helped me keep my Running going to last mile without any walk breaks. A few spectators had water hoses they were spraying the runners with, which definitely helped me get cool and continue to keep going. The last half-mile I ended up passing my 16 year old daughter,who had been ahead of me the first two legs of the race. I ended up finishing in one hour and 59 minutes with my daughter coming in a minute after me. I met my goal, had fun and will probably do it again, maybe later this year.

GREAT job. and what a wonderful picture- athlete beauties!

2014-04-28 7:12 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-04-28 8:41 AM
in reply to: 0

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Challenge Update
No weight gain = 5

240 work out mins = 8

Total = 13

Did my 10 mile run Saturday, with all the rain we had mother nature forced me off the muddy trails and on to the pavement. Legs felt fine during the run but were pretty beat up yesterday. Today they are 100% better. Alittle disappointed with my time, I tried to keep my heart rate down in the mid to high 140's (max HR at age 57 is supposed to be 163 using the 220 - age rule) throughout the run at a medium pace which I was hoping to be at about an 11 minute mile but turned out to be more of a 12 minute mile on average. Didn't really push but wasn't going purposely slow either. I have been doing interval training where my last session I was doing 11 mm miles for 3 mins and 9 mm for 7 mins for 45 mins and it didn't seem to speed me up. Note: Towards the end of my workout my hr would get up in the high 150s. My half marathon is in 4 weeks and I know I need to drop more weight but any other suggestions from the runners out there would be appreciated. Thanks James

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-04-28 8:45 AM
2014-04-28 8:43 AM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Regular
Weight update = no change, still 160. = 5 points
Recovery week = 6 hours workout = 12 points

17 points total.

I'm taking it up a notch this week! Six weeks till Boise.

Steve
2014-04-28 1:54 PM

Champion
Bronze member

No gain = 5 points

workout= 16

21 for the week.

2014-04-28 3:55 PM

Regular
Originally posted by JREDFLY

No weight gain = 5

240 work out mins = 8

Total = 13

Did my 10 mile run Saturday, with all the rain we had mother nature forced me off the muddy trails and on to the pavement. Legs felt fine during the run but were pretty beat up yesterday. Today they are 100% better. Alittle disappointed with my time, I tried to keep my heart rate down in the mid to high 140's (max HR at age 57 is supposed to be 163 using the 220 - age rule) throughout the run at a medium pace which I was hoping to be at about an 11 minute mile but turned out to be more of a 12 minute mile on average. Didn't really push but wasn't going purposely slow either. I have been doing interval training where my last session I was doing 11 mm miles for 3 mins and 9 mm for 7 mins for 45 mins and it didn't seem to speed me up. Note: Towards the end of my workout my hr would get up in the high 150s. My half marathon is in 4 weeks and I know I need to drop more weight but any other suggestions from the runners out there would be appreciated. Thanks James

Hey James:

As discussed before, weight has a big impact on running. Any pounds you drop between now and race day will help immensely. You might try going Gluten free for the next four weeks. That's helped me dump a few pounds that I've been stuck with for quite a while. Just cutting out empty calories from things like bread, pizza and beer has made a difference.

I'm 59, and my HR rates seem pretty close to what you report. If I'm in the high 130's low 140s I can cruise for quite a while. When I push over 150 it gets to be a challenge. I can maintain a 10K at that HR level, but nothing longer. If I push over 155-157 it's only a matter of time before I crash out due to lactic acid build up.

Just for kicks, I would probably think about the intervals this way: :20-30 seconds per mile faster than your planned (realistic) HM race pace for 800 yards/half mile. Then I would try to match an easy walk jog recovery interval to the 800 time. So, if you're running the half mile in 4:45 (9:30 interval pace for a 10 mm HM race pace), I would limit the total interval recovery to NO LONGER than 4:45 as well. But from the workout you describe above, I fear that your work interval is too short (at least in training for HM distance) and your recovery interval is too long. Hence, you're not getting the full benefit of the speed session. I would also probably be thinking about a session that was 6-7 miles in total distance, including an easy one mile warm up and 1/2 to one mile cool down. So, with a mile on the front and back, that's four miles of intervals, or a maximum of 8 1/2 mile interval repeats. Get full recovery, walking if necessary but keep an eye on the total rest time.

HM intervals really should be fairly long, so you might even want to consider 1200 yard efforts or even one mile repeats. Total distance of the workout stays the same, you just cut back on the number of intervals as the length increases.

If you're successful with this workout you could over the next four weeks GRADUALLY increase the number of intervals...like one per week, just to add a little additional distance. I would probably have a second workout each week focused on race pace running...trying to go 6-7 miles exactly on my race pace goal. Then I would plug in the weekend long run at close to HM distance but at an easy pace (30 seconds to 1 mm slower than race pace). I would not recommend any aggressive run training (distance or speed) once you're down to 10 days before your race unless it's just some short pace pickups to keep your body familiar with the desired race pace.

That's my two cents. Good luck.
2014-04-28 5:29 PM

Farmington, Connecticut
Kristen,

Congrats on your first triathlon success. And what a great picture!

Hi James, here are my numbers for the week:

no weight gain 5pts
workout 378min 12 pts

Total: 17 pts

Dave

2014-04-28 7:52 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Challenge:

Have a few choice words to say about the scale that won't budge....but at least it's no gain for 5 points

Workout  785 minutes = 26.1666

---------------------------------------------

31.166 points

2014-04-28 8:14 PM

Expert
Missouri

no weight change = 5
274 minutes workout = 9.13
total = 14.13 points

I did a duathlon on Sunday.  My 3rd year doing it and the first year we've had decent weather - no rain and not freezing cold.  I beat my time from last year by almost 1.5 minutes - ride was better this year but my runs (especially the 2nd one) weren't so good.  Don't know if it was the rising temps, the wind on the ride, or just a lack of good run training lately, but the second run was tough.  I love the race though and will probably do it every year they have it. 

2014-04-28 10:14 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

Regular
Nice job Janet. That second run on the Du is always nasty....there is just no way to adequately prepare for it. Sounds like you had a solid race to beat your previous time.

Steve
2014-04-29 5:28 AM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I am on the road heading for Indianapolis and the half-marathon.  Dramatically changed our plans the first day out because of severe weather and have been dodging weather ever since.  Will update all my numbers (as pitiful as they are) when I get back.  One thing for sure, trying to combine family vacation with staying fit for a race with traveling is a difficult process.  I fear the scale has been going in the wrong direction!

Thoughts and prayers to all the people impacted by tornadoes.  We had one last night about 5 miles from where we are at.  Close enough for me thank you very much!

Congrats Kris and Judi on your races!  I will catch up on the forum when we get to Indianapolis.

2014-04-29 5:38 AM
in reply to: wsummerhill

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Catching up!
Hi All...

Wow... I've missed a bunch. First off, big congrats Wendy on your Boston Marathon! Wow that is fast!!!! Like James said, you're my hero! My daughter was up there watching... what a classic American event. Such a special year this year remembering last year and also Team Hoyt's last run. Really fabulous that you could do it.

Kris - welcome to the triathlete club - way to go and congrats to both you and your daughter - pretty awesome to share that experience. I'm hoping that my daughter and I will do one together one of these days.

So James... a couple of bad weeks for me... might as well post it and get it over with :-)

Weight: Gained 1 lb (actually gained 3 and lost 2 for a net of 1). = -10 +5 = -5
Training (total) 360 minutes in two weeks = 12 points

Grand total = 7

Just too much work right now :-(

Stu

2014-04-29 10:16 AM
in reply to: k9car363

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

I am on the road heading for Indianapolis and the half-marathon.  Dramatically changed our plans the first day out because of severe weather and have been dodging weather ever since.  Will update all my numbers (as pitiful as they are) when I get back.  One thing for sure, trying to combine family vacation with staying fit for a race with traveling is a difficult process.  I fear the scale has been going in the wrong direction!

Thoughts and prayers to all the people impacted by tornadoes.  We had one last night about 5 miles from where we are at.  Close enough for me thank you very much!

Congrats Kris and Judi on your races!  I will catch up on the forum when we get to Indianapolis.

Good luck with the HM, Scott. I've sure your coach has given you plenty of advice, so you're probably good to go. Here's my two cents from running a lot of long races over a lot of years. Feel free to ignore it, I won't be insulted.

I would be focusing the first third of the race on being SLOWER than your goal pace, really dialed-in on finding your comfortable pace. It's so easy when the gun goes to get swept into the action, feel great and end up running the first few miles too fast. It will train wreck the back half of your run if that happens. Second third of the race I would now begin to gradually ramp up the effort to hit your goal average mile pace. By mile 5, if you're at goal pace, you should be fine. When you start the final third around mile 8 you should be comfortably at your goal pace or even a few seconds better by mile 10 if you're feeling good. The final two miles, really concentrate on form, stride, staying on the pace and finishing strong.

When I went back and looked at the pictures from my HIM in Florida (where I crashed and burned on the run) it was pretty obvious that my run form degraded and went all to hell. Granted my legs felt horrible (worse than any marathon I've run), but I completely forgot about focusing on form and stride. Its makes a difference...perhaps less than in the pool, but form counts.

Good luck. Hope the weather cooperates and you have a great run.

Steve
2014-04-29 8:53 PM

New user
Hingham, MA
One month left kids - The challenge ends 5/26

(GGG 4-28-2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GGG 4-28-2014.jpg (131KB - 5 downloads)
2014-05-01 6:21 AM

Dublin, Ohio
GOOD LUCK SCOTT! Remember to start out slowly. Your legs with thank you the last few miles! Got get 'em!
2014-05-01 8:38 PM

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

Originally posted by JREDFLY

No weight gain = 5

240 work out mins = 8

Total = 13

Hey James:

As discussed before, weight has a big impact on running. Any pounds you drop between now and race day will help immensely. You might try going Gluten free for the next four weeks. That's helped me dump a few pounds that I've been stuck with for quite a while. Just cutting out empty calories from things like bread, pizza and beer has made a difference.

I'm 59, and my HR rates seem pretty close to what you report. If I'm in the high 130's low 140s I can cruise for quite a while. When I push over 150 it gets to be a challenge. I can maintain a 10K at that HR level, but nothing longer. If I push over 155-157 it's only a matter of time before I crash out due to lactic acid build up.

Just for kicks, I would probably think about the intervals this way: :20-30 seconds per mile faster than your planned (realistic) HM race pace for 800 yards/half mile. Then I would try to match an easy walk jog recovery interval to the 800 time. So, if you're running the half mile in 4:45 (9:30 interval pace for a 10 mm HM race pace), I would limit the total interval recovery to NO LONGER than 4:45 as well. But from the workout you describe above, I fear that your work interval is too short (at least in training for HM distance) and your recovery interval is too long. Hence, you're not getting the full benefit of the speed session. I would also probably be thinking about a session that was 6-7 miles in total distance, including an easy one mile warm up and 1/2 to one mile cool down. So, with a mile on the front and back, that's four miles of intervals, or a maximum of 8 1/2 mile interval repeats. Get full recovery, walking if necessary but keep an eye on the total rest time.

HM intervals really should be fairly long, so you might even want to consider 1200 yard efforts or even one mile repeats. Total distance of the workout stays the same, you just cut back on the number of intervals as the length increases.

If you're successful with this workout you could over the next four weeks GRADUALLY increase the number of intervals...like one per week, just to add a little additional distance. I would probably have a second workout each week focused on race pace running...trying to go 6-7 miles exactly on my race pace goal. Then I would plug in the weekend long run at close to HM distance but at an easy pace (30 seconds to 1 mm slower than race pace). I would not recommend any aggressive run training (distance or speed) once you're down to 10 days before your race unless it's just some short pace pickups to keep your body familiar with the desired race pace.

That's my two cents. Good luck.

Hi Steve - I just wanted to let you know I am following this and it feels pretty good so far. I'll be doing the long run segment on Saturday so I'll keep you posted. Because I haven't seen any weight loss I am planning on taking it conservatively with an anticipated race pace of 11 min/mile. If I am feeling good next week maybe I'll bring it down to 10.5.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18328 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.