BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2014-01-08 12:06 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - CLOSED
Hi Nicole

Thanks for the update. When I go to settings there appears to be only a single HR input box so assume it does not allow the change. Maybe one for Ron.

Can you help me decipher these bike instructions please -

How can this be a tempo with only 1 rep?
Set #1 40m / 12.00 miles
Tempo Ride
Intervals: 1x40' on 0' rest
HR Zone: 3 RPE: 5-6
Do the tempo interval in Zone 3.

How does the below add up to 11m? I make it 3'@100rpm, rest 6, 2' @110rpm, rest 5,1'@120rpm. Total 17 min ???????
Set #1 11m / 3.30 miles
High RPM Spinning
Intervals: 1x6' on 5' rest
3' at 100RPM, 2' at 110 RPM, 1' at 120 RPM

Cheers

Sean

2014-01-08 12:12 PM
in reply to: weirdfish

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by weirdfish Hi Nicole Thanks for the update. When I go to settings there appears to be only a single HR input box so assume it does not allow the change. Maybe one for Ron. Can you help me decipher these bike instructions please - How can this be a tempo with only 1 rep? Set #1 40m / 12.00 miles Tempo Ride Intervals: 1x40' on 0' rest HR Zone: 3 RPE: 5-6 Do the tempo interval in Zone 3. How does the below add up to 11m? I make it 3'@100rpm, rest 6, 2' @110rpm, rest 5,1'@120rpm. Total 17 min ??????? Set #1 11m / 3.30 miles High RPM Spinning Intervals: 1x6' on 5' rest 3' at 100RPM, 2' at 110 RPM, 1' at 120 RPM Cheers Sean

You'll probably need to talk to Ron about the HR inputs I think.

The bike workout is basically a 40' ride in Zone 3.  The wording is strange for sure - 1 x 40' with 0' rest.

I read the last one as 1 x 6' with 5' rest and the 6' is broken down as the first 3 minutes at 100RPM, next 2 at 110 and the last at 120.

2014-01-09 9:52 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I gave axterra's recommendation regarding swim intensity a go last night and had a good session.

I did not get all the sets completed. Mostly due to having to rest longer between the sets. The faster sets had me seriously out of breath. :-)

I found it hard to pace early on. My first set of 150m was supposed ot be at about 1:15 per 50m. But my first 50m was on 1:05. So then I am thinking 'Do I try to go slower?' or 'maybe I am faster than I thought'. I finished the rest at about this pace and tried to do the last set at 0:58 per 50m. Which tired me badly.

After a big rest I moved onto quick 50's. My best was to time at 45 seconds for 50meters but this left me ruined and my HR through the roof. Then the lane got busy and it was hard to get clear water, but the choppy water was good for OWS feel. A few times I felt a swimmer go past and water cover my head and adjusted breathing accordingly.

I see the benefit of trying to push it in a shorter workout. When cooling down I felt very comfortable compared to the harder sets. I will keep this workout and try to do it most weeks. Hopefully I wont need as much rest between sets and this effort will result in more comfortable endurance work.

2014-01-09 10:41 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Hello!

Any opinions on buying a USED wet suit? I went to the xterra website and a used one in my size was 129 vs 240 new with code (thanks arend)...

Although I want to save money because I don't know how much open swims I will be doing, I don't want to regret and end up buying TWO wetsuits.

Thanks!

Donna
2014-01-09 11:13 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

One more wet suit question: Sleeveless or full body?

Thanks,
Donna
2014-01-09 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by luvschips Hello! Any opinions on buying a USED wet suit? I went to the xterra website and a used one in my size was 129 vs 240 new with code (thanks arend)... Although I want to save money because I don't know how much open swims I will be doing, I don't want to regret and end up buying TWO wetsuits. Thanks! Donna

Is it a wetsuit you will be able to look at in person and try on?  If so, buying used could be okay (can see if there are any tears, gouges, seams coming apart....and try on for sizing, as there's probably no return policy on a used suit).

As for full versus half, I'd recommend full for two reason: 1) you're in CA and it's cold there, and 2) full is supposed to be faster. 

2014-01-09 1:43 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by luvschips Hello! Any opinions on buying a USED wet suit? I went to the xterra website and a used one in my size was 129 vs 240 new with code (thanks arend)... Although I want to save money because I don't know how much open swims I will be doing, I don't want to regret and end up buying TWO wetsuits. Thanks! Donna

Is it a wetsuit you will be able to look at in person and try on?  If so, buying used could be okay (can see if there are any tears, gouges, seams coming apart....and try on for sizing, as there's probably no return policy on a used suit).

As for full versus half, I'd recommend full for two reason: 1) you're in CA and it's cold there, and 2) full is supposed to be faster. 

I agree with this, go with full sleeves.  You should also learn how to put it on properly so that it doesn't restrict  your movement at all.  Here is what I do.

1. Put both legs on and pull it up to your waist.
2. using the pads of your fingers and thumbs (ie. no fingernails!), slowly pull the wetsuit up inch by inch working it up higher on your legs.  
3. Then when you have it pulled up higher, put your arms in.  
4. Repeat the process of pulling the wetsuit up your torso and also your arms

My test to know that I have it on properly is when I can raise both arms straight up over my head and not feel any restriction in the shoulders.

Let me know if that explanation doesn't make sense...

2014-01-09 1:48 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a I gave axterra's recommendation regarding swim intensity a go last night and had a good session. Feedback: I did not get all the sets completed. Mostly due to having to rest longer between the sets. The faster sets had me seriously out of breath. :-) I found it hard to pace early on. My first set of 150m was supposed ot be at about 1:15 per 50m. But my first 50m was on 1:05. So then I am thinking 'Do I try to go slower?' or 'maybe I am faster than I thought'. I finished the rest at about this pace and tried to do the last set at 0:58 per 50m. Which tired me badly. After a big rest I moved onto quick 50's. My best was to time at 45 seconds for 50meters but this left me ruined and my HR through the roof. Then the lane got busy and it was hard to get clear water, but the choppy water was good for OWS feel. A few times I felt a swimmer go past and water cover my head and adjusted breathing accordingly. I see the benefit of trying to push it in a shorter workout. When cooling down I felt very comfortable compared to the harder sets. I will keep this workout and try to do it most weeks. Hopefully I wont need as much rest between sets and this effort will result in more comfortable endurance work.

Glad to hear you had a good swim.  

Determining what pace to swim at will take some practice.  You will learn what pace you can hold for a certain amount of time without blowing up.

Keep up the good work and keep us updated.  

2014-01-09 9:38 PM

User image

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally posted by luvschips

Hello!

Any opinions on buying a USED wet suit? I went to the xterra website and a used one in my size was 129 vs 240 new with code (thanks arend)...

Although I want to save money because I don't know how much open swims I will be doing, I don't want to regret and end up buying TWO wetsuits.

Thanks!

Donna

I'm with you, Donna! I think I need (want?) one, but I'm poor! How do you find your size? Go to a store & try them on? Thought about that....but I hate to do it if I know I'm not going to buy! Is this something that's typically safe to buy used? I'm in Phoenix, but #1 I'm a wimp, & #2, a lot of the tris are off season, so water is pretty cold. Or, so I'm thinking, anyway. Any advice would be great!

Debby :-)
2014-01-10 5:51 AM
in reply to: parit50

User image

I chose which brand I wanted and looked at the sizing chart and went with that - buying it off e-bay. Worked really well - great fit. Lots of top wetsuits out there from people that have given up after one season. If it doesnt fit you can always put back on e-bay and as long as you are sensible with your original bidding you should get your money back.

Just on putting the wetsuit on I find putting carrier bags over feet and up calf helps to put wetsuit on without too much effort, same for the arms.

Definetely recommend wetsuit as if you are a poor swimmer ten it will help you no end and if you are a good swimmer it will make you even faster.

2014-01-10 9:08 AM
in reply to: parit50

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Definitely check the size chart of the manufacturer.  If you are in between sizes, call them or send an email to their customer service and ask for more advice.  If you are close in sizes they may ask you take additional measurements to determine the proper one.

2014-01-10 12:29 PM

User image

A few of my friends just bought Xterra wetsuits and they said they were allowed to try them on and swim with them.  If it didn't fit well, they could exchange for another size.

2014-01-10 4:22 PM

User image

OK! Wet suit purchased - went with XTERRA, they are very friendly and helpful! And again a big thanks Arend!

Now to sign up for the tri. Do you experts think I could do the following on April 16:

SWIM 500M -BIKE 23.3K - RUN 5K

I swam 3 times last year in open water (I usually swim in a pool). I am really nervous about the open swim. I hear so many horror stories. I am also afraid I will be in last place (but I need to just "get over" that one - I am slow and need to accept that).

They have a smaller a one but I would like to try this longer one.

What do you think?

Donna
2014-01-10 4:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by luvschips OK! Wet suit purchased - went with XTERRA, they are very friendly and helpful! And again a big thanks Arend! Now to sign up for the tri. Do you experts think I could do the following on April 16: SWIM 500M -BIKE 23.3K - RUN 5K I swam 3 times last year in open water (I usually swim in a pool). I am really nervous about the open swim. I hear so many horror stories. I am also afraid I will be in last place (but I need to just "get over" that one - I am slow and need to accept that). They have a smaller a one but I would like to try this longer one. What do you think? Donna

Donna,

Congrats on your wetsuit purchase!  Xterra makes a good wetsuit, but their customer service and the fact that they'll let you swim in a wetsuit and return it later if it doesn't work for you, is really great!  Definitely find some time to get it out in the water for a swim (non-chlorinated, if possible).

Which race is it that you're thinking of doing?  Where is the swim -- ocean (open ocean or in a protected marina), lake, river?

Where in CA are you located (I can't remember if you mentioned it before)?  If you're in the LA area, there is a good place to practice ocean swims in a protected bay near Long Beach -- very popular with the local triathletes.

As for coming in last, someone's gotta do it, right?  You also might surprise yourself.  Putting in consistent training really helps, and you're already on your way.  You've been swimming, biking, and running consistently.  So, my opinion is that you absolutely can do the race.  If the swim is in open ocean, where you have to deal with surf, I'd strongly suggest getting together with your local tri club and learning how to get in and out through the surf safely.  If it's in a protected marina, I'd strongly suggest getting in and swimming so you understand how your body reacts to the wetsuit and chilly water.

And if you can make it through the swim safely and comfortably, I'm confident that you will be able to finish the race successfully.

2014-01-10 8:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by luvschips OK! Wet suit purchased - went with XTERRA, they are very friendly and helpful! And again a big thanks Arend! Now to sign up for the tri. Do you experts think I could do the following on April 16: SWIM 500M -BIKE 23.3K - RUN 5K I swam 3 times last year in open water (I usually swim in a pool). I am really nervous about the open swim. I hear so many horror stories. I am also afraid I will be in last place (but I need to just "get over" that one - I am slow and need to accept that). They have a smaller a one but I would like to try this longer one. What do you think? Donna

Looking at your logs, you've been getting in some good training.  If you can keep at it, and get some open water practice in the wetsuit, you should be able to handle that race distance.  I'd also guess you won't even be close to last place.

2014-01-13 12:57 AM

User image

So it's 11 pm and the alarm is set for 345 for my swim but right now all I can think of is sleeping in until 6...

NEED MOTIVATION...

Thanks,
Donna

2014-01-13 2:30 AM
in reply to: #4915173

User image

Phoenix, Arizona
Wow! 0600 is super early for me. I need to work on that, for sure!

You got it!!! Get up & go......you'll feel much better about it. Then, you can give me tips when I'm trying to get up after a few hours sleep! :-)

2014-01-13 2:53 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by luvschips So it's 11 pm and the alarm is set for 345 for my swim but right now all I can think of is sleeping in until 6... NEED MOTIVATION... Thanks, Donna

I got up at 4:20 to go to the pool, you can do it too!

2014-01-13 7:31 AM

User image

What time do you crash out the night before to be up at 4.20!
2014-01-13 7:39 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by weirdfish What time do you crash out the night before to be up at 4.20!

Usually in the 8:30-9:00 range.  My wife and I get up at 4:20 pretty much every week day to train.  We've been doing it for a couple of years now so it's just normal for us.  No one that knows us thinks we are normal though.  

2014-01-13 7:58 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Hello folks,

Hope you all had a good weekend.

Well done for all you madman and madwomen getting up before the dawn for swim sessions. This boggles my mind. My duvet weighs very heavy at this time of year.

Training volumes have bene low recently as family obligations have been busy.

Played soccer this Saturday and ran myself into the ground. Then followed this up by a recovery run on Sunday. My legs are freaking out today but in the best possible way.

Hoping to sneak to the pool this lunchtime.

2014-01-13 8:10 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by weirdfish What time do you crash out the night before to be up at 4.20!

Usually in the 8:30-9:00 range.  My wife and I get up at 4:20 pretty much every week day to train.  We've been doing it for a couple of years now so it's just normal for us.  No one that knows us thinks we are normal though.  

I try to have lights out around 9:30 and get up at 5:10. I really value proper rest/sleep and as close to a full 8 hours as possible.

Sorry for being AWOL. Too many issues to list, but back at it today!
2014-01-13 8:15 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a Hello folks, Hope you all had a good weekend. Well done for all you madman and madwomen getting up before the dawn for swim sessions. This boggles my mind. My duvet weighs very heavy at this time of year. Training volumes have bene low recently as family obligations have been busy. Played soccer this Saturday and ran myself into the ground. Then followed this up by a recovery run on Sunday. My legs are freaking out today but in the best possible way. Hoping to sneak to the pool this lunchtime.

The early mornings take some determination at first in order to get used to it but once it's a routine it's not a big deal.  

Good work keeping up with the workouts.

2014-01-13 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by luvschips So it's 11 pm and the alarm is set for 345 for my swim but right now all I can think of is sleeping in until 6... NEED MOTIVATION... Thanks, Donna

Do not underestimate the importance of sleep and recovery!  There's no way I could train on 4-5 hours of sleep. 

I get up at 4am a couple days a week, and 4:45am the other three days -- I try to be in bed by 9pm so I can get at least 7 hours of sleep.  If I am up late a few nights in a row, I can usually pull through, but at some point, you start running on fumes and it's just not going to be productive.

As Arend mentioned, it's a bit of a transition to get used to getting up early and training, but after doing it for a bit, it becomes pretty normal.  I quite prefer my morning workouts over training in the evening.  After a long day at work, all I want is to take some time to unwind....and if my butt finds the couch first, I guarantee it's not going to find the saddle later!

2014-01-13 11:26 AM
in reply to: ssgreer

Originally posted by ssgreer
What I'm looking for is some drills that will help me improve my technique which should improve my speed which will hopefully make bouyancy less of a factor. I could look up plenty of youtube videos myself but I'm hoping that with a little of my background some of the experts here could make some suggestions that are more likely to fit my problems rather than the random ones I would pick that might or might not help.

I found these beginner swim drills that I am hoping will be helpful (trying them out for the first time tonight) so thought I would pass along the info:

https://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16